Drivers

sorabji.com: Weeds: Drivers
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Platypus on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 12:08 am:

Ok, so I don't know if this is a California thing or what, but what is going ON with people's driving skills? I'm not saying I'm a great driver, but really. I mean, REALLY.

Today I drove a total of 20.5 miles, to and from work. In the course of this 20.5 miles:

1. Ambulance, sirens blaring, lights flashing, comes screaming down the road. I pull over. No one else does. Everyone flies right past me and then refuses to let me back on the road after the ambulance has left. Pulling over for an ambulance isn't a legal thing like pulling over for a stop sign, it's an ethical obligation. It could be ME in that ambulance, it could be YOU, and the hospital was still a good 20 minutes from that ambulance.

2. Woman in HUGE lexus suv passes me on the RIGHT in the breakdown lane, which is really only half a lane, forcing me into oncoming traffic. Procedes to flip me off when I cast a glance of irritation. (All hands note that the speed limit is 55 and I was going easily 70, speaking of bad driving).

3. Youngish couple in HUGE Ford suv manages to hit a bird (?) tossing it back onto the hood of my car--then feels an obligation to slow down to twenty miles an hour in a 55, I guess out of contrition.

4. Toyota pickup with Colorada plates stuck behind me and said suv procedes to pass me on a bridge with oncoming traffic, causing great consternation for all--is still stuck behind the origional, slow offender.

5. Lady attempting to parallel park behind me manages to take off a huge chunk of my bumper, does not apologize or offer any info, drives off. I have her plate no., was thinking of calling DMV.

So, like, seriously, what is going on with all the bad driving? It seems to be getting worse and worse these days, and it's pissing me off. Every trip to work is fraught with danger and stress...how are all these people getting their licenses, anyway?

ARGH.

/rant

By semillama on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 10:21 am:

Call in that lady! Call the police. I don't know if that counts as hit and run.

By TBone on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 10:50 am:

I would imagine so. She hit. She left.

If she really did do damage to your car, she's in trouble.

By eri on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 12:32 pm:

It DOES count as a hit and run. File a police report. They will probably attain her insurance information (assuming she has insurance) and they will give it to you so that you can charge her insurance company for the repairs on your car to boot. Not to mention the legal trouble she will get in for running, instead of just a ticket for some lame assed non moving violation or something.

Drivers are getting worse here, too. Though I always thought it was an actual law to pull over for ambulances and fire trucks and basically anything with a siren like that, people are just sitting in the way here. I noticed some people at a light, the light turned green in my direction, but the ambulance was coming from the opposite direction. My line of traffic, nobody moved out of respect. The cars in front of the ambulance just SAT THERE and blocked it for like two minutes, when traffic was clear for them so that they could get out of the way of the ambulance. Idiots. They just sat there and blocked it, even when it was right behind them.

By patrick on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 01:02 pm:

jesus.

i want to get drunk just reading that.

id be in such a lather.

totally call that wank in. make her pay for all the other assholes you encountered.

By Spider on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 01:10 pm:

Yesterday, I was an asshole driver. I made a lane change from the far right of four lanes to the far left lane (*with* my turn signal on, btw) and was okay until I got to the final left lane, where I got honked at because I had failed to look over my shoulder and had nearly hit this guy with Jersey plates. Sorry about that, sir.

By Platypus on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 01:17 pm:

At least you signaled. Hopefully God will weigh that in the final judgement.

I remember when I was learning how to drive, people told me "never rely on signals to tell you where someone is going." No shit. Signaling, like pulling over for an ambulance, isn't just the law, it's common fucking sense. I don't know if there's been some sort of mass signal device interruption system in force, but honestly. I signal in parking lots for chrissakes.

I did call DMV and report her for hit and run--turns out she has two points on her license already...heh heh heh.

By sarah on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 11:24 am:

not pulling over for EMS definitely is illegal*, not just a matter of ethics! jeeeezis h. how would all those drivers feel if they were laying there about to die, waiting for EMS, and knew that the rest of world was blocking the EMS truck. people suck.

*i once got a ticket for "Failing To Yeild To An Emergency Vehicle", but that was in Wyoming in 1993 and i thought the cop was chasing someone else.

By Platypus on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 01:22 pm:

I think that attitude up here is that since there are so few cops, people think they won't get ticketed since the cops are rushing to the accident too...WRONG!

Damn, I feel like shit today. Day off, where are you?

By TBone on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 02:34 pm:

I think it's largely a matter of the weird traffic peer-pressure that goes on. If two or three cars pull over, you'll see everyone start to pull over. Nobody wants to be the first to do something.
    One law that I see very few people obey are those "Stop When Occupied" crosswalks. They're the legal equivalent of a stop sign, only you can ignore them there aren't any peds.

The overabundant rudeness on the roads really bothers me. I try to compensate by being nice, and I usually only get more rudeness back.

By patrick on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 02:43 pm:

he's right.

also, egos drive cars. every notice how everyone now wants to drive in the far left lane, usually the fast lane, even though its painfully obvious they arent the fast ones and you are forced to pass on the right, creating a danger for merging and genuinely slower traffic.

also.

as a general advisory...if i pull up behind you, and flash my lights, day or night. its an established means of communication. most educated drivers know this. Most educated drivers also look in their rearview AT least once every 30 seconds. When I flash my lights, and you see me, that means move your slow ass to the right lane and let me pass. its not a shot at your ego. im not saying im better, faster, bigger, longer, harder or whatever than you. it just says you arent moving at the rate of speed id like to and im askin for motherfuckin courtesy.

this thread is getting me worked up.

By heather on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 02:43 pm:

i was driving up to this crossing when little
    lights started flashing in the road. i'd never
    seen them before so i was staring and
    thinking about them, like, what's that? and i
    almost realized too late that it meant someone
    was in the crosswalk and i almost couldn't
    stop.

heh.

er.

By Spider on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 02:54 pm:

A couple blocks down the road from my apartment is a crosswalk right in the middle of the block. There's no stop light or stop sign there. The speed limit on the road is (I think) 40 mph. The lights around the sign hanging over the street blink whether or not someone is in the crosswalk. The intersection (with stop lights and crossing signals) is, I don't know, maybe 25 yards down the hill. High traffic flow in the road.

This is so dangerous! For everybody! Pedestrians take their lives into their hands when they cross. Drivers risk getting hit from behind when they stop suddenly in the middle of the street. For the life of me, I don't understand why the crosswalk is there. Go to the ends of the block, where there are lights!

By patrick on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 03:03 pm:

its like that around this town too. The only marking is a white painted crosswalk. No cross lights, just the paint and a pedestrian sign.

technically I believe pedestrians have the right of way to cross from corner to corner at an intersection, even if no cross walk is marked.

however, i too think peds take their lives in their hands when they opt to cross at such crosswalks. always take a cross walk with a traffic light if you can.

By wisper on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 07:26 pm:

"it just says you arent moving at the rate of speed id like to and im askin for motherfuckin courtesy."

oh man. You're THAT guy? fuck you, buddy!
    I set my cruise control to the speed limit (right on the dot) and won't budge just for fun. And giggle. Because of YOU GUYS.
    Slowdown or get over it. I'm not getting pulled over for someone else's impatience.
    Then i tap the brake.
    good times.

*p.s. na-na-NA-NeeeaaaaaNeeeaaaaaaah*

By BIGKev on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 07:55 pm:

he's not the only one whos that guy. I HATE people that think the speed limit in the ultra fast lane is OK. ITS NOT thats how people die... just because you arent breaking the law doesnt mean that what your doing is safe, smart or even right... if im in a pack of cars doing 140 (kms) in the fast lane and there is a self-rightous speed limit abiding prick up front, chances are only the first car knows this, and can move in time... espacially if the other lanes are busy, not leaving enough holes for merging btween lanes...

When i lived in Toronto, my own mother did that speedlimit in the fastlane shit all the time... she was pulled over by the cops Twice because of it, and warned about being 'unsafe' and that 'keeping with the flow of traffic' is the only time when its ok to speed.
    Wisper can probably attest to this fact... The 401 during off peak hours is at least 120km/hr in the fast lane (usually in the slow lanes too) and if you cant/wont do that speed you are causing (or risking) more than if you would just speed up..

By BIGKev on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 07:58 pm:

wisper, have you ever been shot at doing that little trick? cause i tell ya... its a damn good think i cant buy a gun, cause people like you would be dropping like flies....

aww shit now i have to go back to anger managment classes.. fuck fuckitty fuck fuck fuck....

By Platypus on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 10:49 pm:

Yeah, this thread gets me all squirrley inside. I've noticed the courtesy being repaid with rudeness thing too.

And pulling over. I live in a highly rural area. The roads are hard to drive if you don't know them. PULL THE FUCK OVER if you can't handle going 50 or 60. It's safer for all of us. And if I see cars behind me, I pull over. It's not an ego thing, it's a "let this person who obviously wants to go faster pass me" thing. Argh.

Didn't they used to have something called a "governer" that wouldn't allow your car to exceed the speed limit? Damn, that would suck.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 11:53 pm:

"I HATE people that think the speed limit in the ultra fast lane is OK"

but doing the speed limit in the ultra fast lane is doing the speed limit

shut the fuck up about 'its okay to bend the rules, move over', because its not OK. I hear this same shit from people who drank 'just a little' over the legal limit. no big deal, right? "you see me swerving, its my drunk ass way of communication. move over and let me pass." its these people that killed my dad.

"When i lived in Toronto, my own mother did that speedlimit in the fastlane shit all the time... she was pulled over by the cops Twice because of it, and warned about being 'unsafe' and that 'keeping with the flow of traffic' is the only time when its ok to speed. "

this is interesting considering my uncle is former Toronto PD and was Mr. Speed Limit. Well of course he is, it was his brother (my dad) who got killed with this way of thinking. I'd like to see you tell all of us that this is 'just the way it is'. It isn't.

"thats how people die..."

no, its idiots who have their heads so far up their asses with cockiness they think they can control their car at any speed. And they mess up just a little, panic, and end up in a ditch.

When I was learning to drive, I was being taught on the highway, and they wanted me to go the speed limit in the fast lane. The cars behind me were honking and beeping to get me to speed up, and I was panicking, it being my first time, and almost flew off the road. If the people in the fast lane OBEYING THE LAW are in any danger, its because of pressure from you guys. back off.

Its also because of that pressure coupled with loss that my mom wont drive on the highway AT ALL anymore. She takes the service roads and goes the speed limit because she's been fed the bullshit that safe driving is 'a nuisance' to you folk.

If you need to get somewhere faster, plan ahead next time. Noone else should have to pay or be pressured over your poor time management skills and attitude.

The road is NOT the same as an escalator. The 'move to the right and let me run up the stairs' ideal does not work in practice.

And you all know that the 'crazy drivers' that just have to get where you want in time, they dont JUST stay in the fast lane, you switch all the time, dont think twice about cutting others off, will swerve around one fast driver to get to the next. No sense of courtesy even amongst themselves.

By Platypus on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 01:05 am:

Uhm...chill the fuck out, Rowlf, most of the people we are talking about when we complain about bad drivers are the same people you are talking about. Don't accuse us of being the bad guys here. So what if Patrick goes a little fast on the freeway? So what if I think flashing my lights/honking at someone who is going slow should be a clear message to pull over? I somehow doubt that most of the folks on this board pull the shit we are complaining about, e.g. unsafe lane changes, excessive speed, hit and run, etc

By Platypus on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 01:09 am:

Also--especially on the freeway, it's very dangerous to pull the holier than thou cruise control shit. Road rage, especially in the US, is a serious problem. If you want to go slower, that's totally fine and no one is pushing you to go faster--just do it in the slow lane instead of:

a. infuriating other drivers
    b. causing unsafe lane changes/poor flow of traffic--the left is a THROUGH lane and should be treated that way
    c. potentially causing great harm to yourself and others by provoking road rage. People get shot here. No shit. It's not a good idea to play better than you on the freeway here, it's a dangerous place--write to your congressman if it bothers you so much.

It's one of these commonsense pick your battles things.

By dave. on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 01:27 am:

shit, rowlf. did you just grow an ovary or something?

if you're not in such a hurry, be my guest to mosey along behind some 18 wheeler in the slow lane. you'll get there.

over here the left lane is the passing lane. i'm always passing so i get the lane. if you're not passing, stay to the right.

i do partially sympathize:

"you switch all the time, dont think twice about cutting others off, will swerve around one fast driver to get to the next. No sense of courtesy even amongst themselves."

i hate lanesurfers and do everything i can to keep them from cutting me off if there's already a car right in front of me. if it's wide open, i'll let 'em go. hopefully, they'll flush out the trooper at the next speed trap. better yet, end up in a deadly fireball upside some bridge abutment. i'm not saying i'm above passing a group of cars, i do that all the time. but in a respectful way.

it's dorky but i really like to feel like i'm making MORE progress than everyone else and i dislike having someone else impeding my progress. but if passing one car only means being stuck behind the car 200 feet ahead, i don't bother.

By spunky on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 02:40 am:

In San Antonio, you had better be slamming on the gas AS SOON as the light turns green, or you will have someone honking at you.

By dave. on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 03:19 am:

i'll tell you where i lose it: you're in heavy but flowing traffic, in the left lane and the jackass in front is going slower than all the people in the lane to the right. so, they're all passing jackass and changing into the left lane, but because i'm so polite, i don't just execute the asshole merge and go around.

aneurysm time.

i also do everything i can to keep at least one small car in front of me. i can not fucking stand the opacity of the ubiquitous minivans, suvs and ridiculously large trucks. i close that gap off. i've been burned too many times letting some fucker who appears to have a purpose, get in front of me only to pull the cruise control trick once inextricably in my way.

if only i could fling into the sun with my mind, all the annoying stuff in the world. that'd make me quite a super villain.

By dave. on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 03:53 am:

while i'm just sitting here raging at shit:

patrick, if you pull up behind me and flash when there's nothing stopping you from going around, i won't budge. you want it, you do the work. if there's no easy way to go around, i'll probably speed up a bit. if there's nowhere to speed up to, tough shit. figure out your own escape plan. besides, if i'm doing 75 in a 60 and passing everyone in the adjacent lanes, you should be buying me a beer, not flashing your headlights at me.

p.s. having been for several years a professional driver in one of the worst traffic cities in this nation, i constantly check my mirrors, both peripherally and directly. but, while i know this to be absolutely true, i also tend to let the meat do the driving. it's pretty common for me to have driven across town without remembering a single moment of the details of the journey.

autopilot.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 09:20 am:

i apologize, however I've been in this argument before, and it frustrates me every time, to the point that I always start out with the pissed off dial to 11.

"if you're not passing, stay to the right"

my problem is that there are people who can never pass because there are those 'eternally passing' who just cruise the lane, going so fast noone obeying the law can cut into that lane to get around THEIR guy ahead who is going too slow. Fast Lane Hogs

its not platy and patrick that pissed me off near so much as Bigkev.

and spunk, I'd like to see Montreal take the Pepsi challenge against San Antonio

By semillama on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 09:42 am:

For americans: 1km =0.621 miles.

My driving peeve is how the majority of drivers are clueless on the concept of SAFETY DISTANCE. You know, keeping about two-three car lengths between you and the guy ahead of you when you are speeding down the highway? ALmost everytime I try to establish a safety distance, some dumbshit gets inbetween. Don't even get me started on tailgaters on a multilane highway. You can afford to back off a bit and pass me safely.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 10:48 am:

"patrick, if you pull up behind me and flash when there's nothing stopping you from going around, i won't budge. you want it, you do the work. if there's no easy way to go around, i'll probably speed up a bit. if there's nowhere to speed up to, tough shit. figure out your own escape plan. besides, if i'm doing 75 in a 60 and passing everyone in the adjacent lanes, you should be buying me a beer, not flashing your headlights at me."

I'm with you, Dave. I've never had someone flash their lights at me, but when I'm in the left lane and the lane next to me is clear, and there's some fuckwit sitting on my ass, I don't move. And I understand that this isn't the safest or wisest thing to do, as it usually pisses the guy behind me off, but I don't like conceding to bullying jackasses.

And if I'm in the middle or right lane, and someone is tailgating me when the passing lane is clear, sometimes I take my foot off the gas.

BUT...I have to admit there is one situation in which I often drive really close to the car in front, and that's on an on-ramp to a freeway. What the fuck is wrong with people who drive 30 mph and expect to merge into 80 mph traffic? It's enough to give me a stroke, I swear to God.

By heather on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 10:51 am:

people who drive motorcycles here terrify me...splitting lanes at 75mph, cutting people off. no wonder there are so many accidents, and a motorcycle accident means you are fucked up. assholes. and girlfriends on the back in shorts and flipflops, okay, prepare to lose 30% of your skin surface.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 10:52 am:

Just want to add, my average speed on the freeway is 75-80. I don't drive slowly.

Have you ever noticed, as you drive down any road of any kind, that the speed you're comfortable at is 10 over the speed limit? The road I take to work -- I naturally take it at 50 mph....speed limit's 40 mph. Speed limit on I-95 is 65 -- I'm comfortable at 75. Tiny back road: I'm going 35, speed limit turns out to be 25.

By TBone on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 12:30 pm:

Ok, I stopped reading some of this stuff, 'cause the nastiness in the air was killing my chill.
    You're all part of the problem if you're trying to control how other people drive. If you're pressuring people to move out of your way or you're intentionally blocking people to slow them down, you're contributing to the rage that makes roads scary.
    You can't control how other people drive. Any attempt to do so makes blood boil.
    For some reason, at least half of all drivers are ALWAYS hurrying. It must suck, but whatever. Then there's the other group who feels that nobody on the road could possibly have an honest reason to be in a hurry, which is silly.
    My favorite drivers are the ones who swerve in and out of traffic, burning twice as much fuel from all the accelerating and braking... and don't get there any faster than I do. The highway is different, but in town, stoplights are the equalizer. You can hurry all you want, but while you're waiting a the next light, I'll pull up right behind you and smile into your rear view.
    I live just off 3rd street where the speed limit is 35, but I've heard several people say that it doesn't feel safe to go that fast. It's a narrow, two-lane, pothole infested collection of asphalt patches. But other than that, the speed limit is usually lower than the highest comfortable speed. Some people will always drive 5-10 over the speed limit, and that's taken into account.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 12:54 pm:

Is killing a chill anything like harshing a mellow?

Eh, you're probably right on all accounts. Let me just say that before I moved to the DC Metro area, the concept of road rage was alien to me. After I spent a year driving a 17-mile commute that never took less than an hour and a half because of traffic, I became the bitter, remorseless creature you see before you. I am willing to pay a $900/month rent for a studio apartment so I can live 4 miles and 20 minutes away from my office...that alone can tell you what the traffic is like here. On the news a little while ago, they said the DC Metro area is the second-worst traffic congested area in the country, second to LA. It really does warp your driving personality.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 01:00 pm:

"I'm with you, Dave. I've never had someone flash their lights at me, but when I'm in the left lane and the lane next to me is clear, and there's some fuckwit sitting on my ass, I don't move. And I understand that this isn't the safest or wisest thing to do, as it usually pisses the guy behind me off, but I don't like conceding to bullying jackasses. "

Um, isn't it courteous to move to the other lane if it's clear? That's what I do all the time.
    I've rarely had cars flash lights at me.
    I know among truck drivers, they flash lights after one passes the other to signal to the other guy it's clear to merge back in.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 01:02 pm:

"lane next to me is clear, and there's some fuckwit sitting on my ass, I don't move. And I understand that this isn't the safest or wisest thing to do, as it usually pisses the guy behind me off, but I don't like conceding to bullying jackasses."

see spider? you're one of them. you're letting your ego dictate your driving behavior. THATS the problem. same with you wisper. Your behavior is derived from spite, and thats potentially unsafe.

your job isnt to enforce the traffic laws.

if someone is doing 80 and they flash their lights on approach asking you to step aside, step the fuck aside? whats it to you! you're only making the road more dangerous by being a stubborn fuck. If the right lane is clear, and im approaching a left lane cruiser, a schmuck who CLEARLY doesnt get the concept of passing lanes/ cruising lanes, I will flash my lights.

In CA that idea is dumb on most people. Elsewhere, its effective and when I pass, I offer a wave, to say thanks for letting me pass. Its like letting someone merge in front of you in slow traffic. Its a courtesy.

In certain parts of the country, say on causeways and bridges (like Key West for example) where its two lanes for a dozen miles or more, your ass will get a ticket for cruising in the left lane.

also, its sometimes safer to go with the flow of traffic even if the flow is faster than you'd like.

take atlanta freeways. VERY fast freeways. average speed, that i recall reading some years ago was like 82 mph. Thats insane! If you want to go 60 on the freeways in Atlanta your ass is all of a sudden a danger to everyone else, even if they are breaking the laws.

I pride myself on being a polite, courteous driver who doesnt let his ego control his actions, despite the coronary i suffer nearly everytime i get on the freeway because of stupid assholes. I've only gotten into one fender bender at about 5mph in bumper to bumper traffic in over a decade of driving. i think that says a couple of things. I pride myself on anticipating other drivers moves, keep a car or two space between me and the fuck ahead and cover brakes often (note, not ride brakes...im convinced much traffic congestion is the result of one testy fuck hitting the brake lights, causing a chain reaction slowing).

so...yeah.....you know......whatever.

wheres my coffee.

By eri on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 01:12 pm:

My friends all say that I drive like a Grandma. I stay within 5 miles of the speed limit at all times, but the only time I am in the fast lane is when the other lanes are all moving SLOWER than I am, and then I move right back over again.

I have had people flash their lights at me on cross country drives and such, but when you are climbing the rocky mountains in a fully loaded 4 cylinder, you can only go so fast and I am not in the fast lane at that time. If they have a problem they can move to the faster lanes.

I usually tend to drive in the middle lane, not stuck behind the rigs, not impeding faster moving traffic.

I always move over for sirens, and always try to let people in and maintain safe distances, and always be nice, but some people are just assholes. I figure if I try to be nice, then fuck em.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 01:15 pm:

EXACTLY sem.

Truckers flash their lights for that very purpose.

its a polite communication.

now i understand the mental image of some prick in a Porsche Carrera bearing down your bumper, impatiently swerving side to side and flashing his lights wanting you to move.

thats not what i do. at all.

there road etiquette.

and flashing your lights when someone spaced out in the left lane, when the right lane is clear, is etiquette.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 01:23 pm:

Dudes, did you not see where I confessed to the unwisdom and unsafety of my refusal to move? I know. Hey... I know.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 01:44 pm:

so spare me the coronary already.

By Platypus on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 01:45 pm:

Sem, the following distance bothers me too. I can't tell you how many times I've been behind someone at a safe following distance and had some asshat come zooming into what's supposed to be my safety zone...

I like me following distance, it makes me feel more comfy. And in situations where some prick in a Porsche is bearing down on me weaving from side to side before zipping out to pass me in front of an oncoming truck, it probably saves someone's life.

It's funny how driving gets people so riled up. There does seem to be a lot of ego and personal baggage in the driving world, which is silly and dangerous. Here, in particular, with the high percentage of suvs, driving sometimes seems more like a contact sport--stay alive and win the prize! But for some reason we seem to take so much of driving so personally--and it's funny how personalities you wouldn't expect in people come out with driving. (Say with my friend S, who's the chillest most mellow person I know until she gets behind the wheel...)

Is killing your chill like peeing on your pillow?

By Spider on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 01:47 pm:

What coronary? All of my burst blood vessels are the product of being stuck behind snails on an on-ramp.

By Antigone on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 02:18 pm:

You're all a bunch of asshats!

By heather on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 02:22 pm:

i ran out of gas this morning...took a little
    walk...filled the tank.....then ran into the
    nastiest traffic going over the bridge

and you know what? i didn't fucking care! i
    used to get all upset and whatever about 'my
    plans being ruined' and being late for stuff and
    just generally hating traffic.

but i didn't care! i was happy to sit in my car
    and sing to the radio and think happy
    thoughts. like when you've just met someone
    and you're feeling all gooshy. except i haven't,
    it's just my life feeling this way.

it's so fucking cool. and i'm not on drugs. yay.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 02:29 pm:

imagine if you had crapped out of gas on the bridge. what a nice walk that would have been.

im assuming you are referring to the bay bridge? maybe?

By heather on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 02:54 pm:

another reason to be happy, running out of
    gas a couple blocks from home instead of the
    middle of nowhere

By spunky on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 03:19 pm:

i say we all get together and have a Sorobji Cannonball Run.
    Or what was that old, cross country race for a treasure box underneath two palm trees????

By eri on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 04:02 pm:

I ran out of gas less than a block from work once. I was literally 2 minutes late. I got written up for it, and I didn't know it was that I ran out of gas, this was a $200 junk heap I drove. I just thought the piece of shit broke down. I got a "Final Letter of Warning" for being two minutes late, even though my boss could look out the window and see where my car was on the side of the road.

I don't drive very far anymore. Ask Spunky. If I don't know exactly where we are and even begin to feel lost I get full blown panic attacks. I am horrible in a car. So I only drive short distances and keep the radio blaring and sing along to keep panic from setting in. I am working on it, though. I want to go to Austin sometime. I want to be better at going to visit people who don't live right here, friends and stuff. I am bad about that, and usually everyone comes here to visit me. They don't know why, though, that I panic when riding in cars or when lost and hate driving more than a few miles because of it.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 04:34 pm:

"take atlanta freeways. VERY fast freeways. average speed, that i recall reading some years ago was like 82 mph. Thats insane! If you want to go 60 on the freeways in Atlanta your ass is all of a sudden a danger to everyone else, even if they are breaking the laws."

Amen. Everyone should experience Atlanta freeways at some point in their lives.

By spunky on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 04:56 pm:

I got it!

"It's a mad, mad, mad world"

By patrick on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:09 pm:

arent they nuts?

whats even a scarier little known fact. about 6,7 years on a stretch of 85, between downtown and "Spaghetti Junction" 285, when they installed the HOV lanes, they decreased all the other lane widths by a foot.

great friggin idea considering few qualify to use the HOV lanes.

however, the way the made freeways there, they are designed to haul ass. the grading, number of lanes, and pavement all encourage it.

I hads some of the best driving experiences there when nico would get one of the company cars for the weekend, either the Lexus or Infiniti, And we'd hit the ATL freeway after midnight. The best was cruising, almost literally, right through downtown on I85 at 80mph in leather seats practically massaging your ass, high on coke, with stereolab coming through those pristine Bose speakers. god damn we lived hard in those days. no more.

in LA, the freeways are older, with less lanes, more curves, fucked up concrete slabs that make a "ju junk ju junk ju junk ju junk" sound when you pass over them

The freeways here were clearly designed for cars expected to go no faster than 55mph. Like the Arroyo Seco. The oldest freeway in America. The entrance ramps are, very literally 50-100 ft long.

Spider, you'd have a heart attack trying merge on these. You have to gun it and pray.

By Dougie on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 07:24 pm:

Thing I hate is when traffic is stopped on the highway, and some douchebag pulls up on the shoulder, or takes the exit only lane for a 1/4 mile to make some distance, and then tries to merge in in front of me. There is NO WAY IN THE WORLD that fucker's getting in front of me. EVER.

Wow, reading this thread elevated my BP almost as much as sitting in traffic.

By wisper on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 07:31 pm:

BigKev: "he's not the only one whos that guy. I HATE people that think the speed limit in the ultra fast lane is OK. ITS NOT"

whoa! i'm not THAT guy!
    i'm not talking about the fast lane. Jesus, you freaks can have the fast lane and keep it. I don't like going 140km, at least not in my current car, and i won't be in the fast lane unless i am indeed doing 140 and really have to pee. I'm talking about the normal roads and highway lanes, that's when it's brake tapping time. Dude.
    I have no idea what the people doing 80 in the fast lane are up to.

By Lapis on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 11:11 pm:

It's not a mad, mad, mad world.

It's a mad, mad, mad, MAD world.

...and the treasure's under the big "W".

By Dougie on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 01:19 pm:

I like the middle lane on a 3 lane highway, even when I'm going way fast. You've got 2 escape routes on either side of you to get around the slowpokes, and somehow in the back of my mind, I feel like I'm less conspicuous (sp?) to cops speeding in the middle lane as opposed to the left lane, which is stupid and unfounded I know, but it makes me feel better to think so.

By TBone on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 02:39 pm:

We don't have many 3-lane highways. They scare me, or at least the outer lanes do. The few times I've been on them, I've seen two people in the outer lanes both attempt to occupy the same center-lane spot.

By patrick on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 02:47 pm:

try a 6 lane highway. twelve lanes total.

By Dougie on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 02:54 pm:

Yeah, I've seen that happen Tbone, happens sometimes to me too. I think the secret to good highway driving (and driving in general) is to always be aware of who and what is around you -- keep glancing in your mirrors every couple of seconds just to make sure nobody's crept up into your blind spot etc and to be aware of what other drivers' intentions are. Knock on wood, it's worked for me for 24 years.

By Platypus on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 03:15 pm:

Try the 580 interchange in Oakland, like six freeways coming together and splitting off in different directions with poor signage so you realize you need to cross eight lanes in the next 1/4 mile or you're going to San Francisco...all of this at about 80 miles an hour.

Lane splitting drives me nuts too. I don't care if motorcyclists are allowed to lane split, it freaks me out. That and motorcyclists who ride my ass. If I have to slam on my brakes, I'll be mildly annoyed about the dent on my bumper--mister hot shot motorcycler is going to be dead or close to it.

By J on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 03:39 pm:

By Anti-tailgater on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 09:16 pm:

BIGKev,

There's some of us slower drivers who also may be armed. If a tailgater tries to harm me, I may just take him out.

So when you're out on the road, just remember; there's some of us non-speeders you don't want to mess with.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact