PMS

sorabji.com: Weeds: PMS
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Monday, November 3, 2003 - 05:09 pm:

You know you have PMS when:

1. Listening to a coworker shuffle his feet as he walks repeatedly down your hallway makes you want to kill him.

2. You listen to a new coworker cackl- I mean, laugh in her office, and the first thing that jumps at you is how much she sounds like a screaming Nazgul. Because she does. It's h o r r i b l e.

3. Today you have eaten: 2 waffles, 3 vegetarian sausage links, a pumpkin muffin, a turkey/cheese/sprouts/cucumber/spinach/tomato sandwich, a bowl of vegetable soup, and a Starbucks carrot cake bar (not all at once, of course), and you're still hungry. You're perpetually hungry. You could have eaten 6 waffles, 8 sausages, 4 muffins, two sandwiches, four bowls of soup, and 3 carrot cake bars, all at once, and you'd still want to eat more. You want to eat even when your stomach feels stuffed. You are saved from falling into binging and purging only by your will and your fear of losing control.

4. Getting an email from your mother about an academic conference makes you want to cry. Getting an angry email from a customer (not directed at you personally) makes you want to cry. Thinking about your life makes you cry.

5. You have to dig out your pants with drawstring or elastic waists from the closet because none of your regular pants fit. You feel four months pregnant, and you might even waddle a bit when you walk.

I truly thank God for giving me the presence of mind at 12 years old to relish not having to deal with this hell yet.

By J on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 11:08 am:

Then when you finally done with that,you can enter the wonderful world of hot flashes,and I am being sarcastic.

By TBone on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 11:45 am:

Hormones
    Male -- Lifetime of unreasonable and often inappropriate horniness
    Female -- The menstrual cycle and all it entails followed by the rocky shores of menopause.
    I think I chose wisely.
    On the subject of sanity-crushing laughter, I know a guy with a loud, high, gasping, screeching laugh that pierces cloud, shadow, earth, and flesh.
    And the merest of things will set him into a fit of laughter. And I can't escape him. He was my neighbor in the University dorms, he was a last-resort roommate over a summer, and now he works with me.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 04:07 pm:

There are few petty things in life more tortuous than listening to horrible laughter. It is known.

Now my boss is moving his office to the empty space across from mine. I might have to stop coming here so often, cos I don't want to be caught.

Hmmm...his laugh grates, too. *sigh*

Though, i' faith, all overheard laughter irritates me. I'm cool if, like, I'm talking to you and you laugh, or we're watching something funny together and we both laugh, but if I have to listen to you laugh while you're on the phone or in another room, God, it makes me sick. It's probably indicative of some mental disorder or something. Maybe I should make my main character have this trait, too.

By Antigone on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 05:09 pm:

Spider, that strikes me as kind of sad. You don't like it when you can hear other people's amusement, mirth, or happiness? It makes you sick?

If the buddha laughed in the next room, would you kill him? :)

By Spider on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 05:38 pm:

It's not their happiness, it's the actual sensory stimulus of laughter....you know what I'm saying? It's just the sound. The sound divorced from mirth is ugly. Well, many people's laughs are ugly to my ears when I have to listen to them without hearing their context....not everyone's, of course. Some people have nice laughs, some people have laughs that sound like metal scraping metal, like the harpy down the hall from me.

By kazu on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 05:41 pm:

I disapprove of all PDE.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 05:43 pm:

Public displays of....enthusiasm?

By kazu on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 05:44 pm:

emotion.

By frowny clown on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 05:45 pm:

me too.

By Nate on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 05:53 pm:

howabout PDSD?

By heather on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 05:54 pm:

issues

By sarah on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 06:01 pm:

sexual deviance.

By Nate on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 06:03 pm:

By sarah on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 06:04 pm:

spider, i feel your pain, i really do. do you find that some months are worse than others?

the patch seems to be working wonders for me. i'm on week three right now. no more nausea, my appetite has stabilized if not decreased a bit, my moods seem to be a bit more even keel, and i'm having regular bowel movements.

typically i wouldn't recommend birth control, but if you don't have any ethical or moral problems with it, you might want to give it a shot. especially if your PMS is as debilitating as mine had a tendency to be.

By eri on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 06:07 pm:

I am on the shot right now, and have been for a little over a month, for my endometriosis. The doctor is trying to buy some time for me before the hysterectomy.

Actually, after all the bad effects I had from birth control before, this thing fucking rocks.

I have had so little pain that I actually noticed a little bit of moodiness, but not much and that was about all. My appetite has been normal. I haven't gained a pound, in fact, I have lost 5 lbs. and am back to my normal weight. I have never been happier.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 07:44 pm:

When we first got married I would suffer sympathetic cramps with my wife.

Luckily that went away real quick. But, at least I got some appreciation of what she went through.

I have two coworkers here that whistle the same tune everyday at about the same time. It wouldn't be so bad except I'm usually suffering from a sinus headache then too. When that happens I get very grumpy. Their whistling usually stops compleatly about ten minutes later. So it's not too bad.

By Platypus on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 10:44 pm:

I loves the depo. Yes I do.

Spider, laughter really annoys me too, along with eating. In fact...humans making noises annoy me. One of my coworkers is a gum chewer...oh...god save me. (Or her, probably...).

pde. I like it. (The phrase, not the action)

By kazu on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 12:06 am:

Chewing noises are the worst. My friend and I asked to move our seats in an asian restaurant once because the clanking chopsticks, slurping, lip smacking, mouth full talking from these people in the booth behind us was just too much. Argh! I cringe just thinking about it.

Don't even get me started about gum. I won't let people chew gum in my car.

By kazu on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 12:06 am:

Chewing noises are the worst. My friend and I asked to move our seats in an asian restaurant once because the clanking chopsticks, slurping, lip smacking, mouth full talking from these people in the booth behind us was just too much. Argh! I cringe just thinking about it.

Don't even get me started about gum. I won't let people chew gum in my car.

By eri on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 01:22 am:

Chewing noises are disgusting. They do completely gross me out, but I don't let on, cuz it's funny to watch Spunky totally sick out on noises like that....like his last office mate before he left for AL. The stories are hillarious.

And I do love my depo. It has made my life so much easier it isn't even funny. And I normally don't recommend anything like that.

By sarah on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 10:50 am:

i have a coworker who scrapes her teeth on her fork. guh.

By dave. on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 11:17 am:

i hate that so much.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 12:15 pm:

I don't mind eating sounds, well, unless someone is going beyond regular eating habits and slurping and smacking their lips all over the place. But sneezing -- I hate listening to that. I even hate it when I sneeze. Coughing is okay, unless it's my mom's nervous cough. Gack!

I've got no moral problems with using birth control to regulate my hormones. I don't know if I could deal with nausea for several days, but I may ask my doctor about that patch the next time I see her if it really doesn't have any emotional side effects. My PMS seems to be getting worse as I get older, especially the irritability/depression.

By sarah on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 12:35 pm:

yeah, me too. again, you know it must have been *really* *really* *really* bad for me if i considered trying birth control to alleviate it.

and hey, you may not experience nausea from the patch. that's just a possible side effect, not an inevitable one. please let me know if you decide to try it. i'd love to compare notes.

this sunday i take the patch off and have the week without it. that will be the real test - to see how i fare physically and emotionally the 2 or so days just prior to having (theoretically at this point) an actual period.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 12:42 pm:

excessive coughing drives me up the fucking wall.

likewise about eating sounds. when working for the computer hardware dist/manuf. there were the no-english, fresh-off-the-boat chinese that worked in the monitor department. since the entire office took lunch at the same hour, we would often all be in the break room together. the 3 or 4 chinese would sit by themselves, literally scrap, slurp and suck their bowls of food into their mouths. there was no more than an inch of distance from bowl to mouth. the good part is, they were done by 15 after, and would go out and sleep under a tree dreaming Confusious.

i can't stand being in very quiet atmosphere with one person and listen to them eat. even if they are very well versed in the manners of eating. when its dead quiet and you can hear the food tumbling in their mouth.....ARGHHHHHHHH

i've literally sent my wife away from the table i've been so annoyed at times, or at the very least I'll go turn on the music.

By Platypus on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 01:45 pm:

Yay Patrick. Everyone thinks I am neurotic because I can't handle it and I am glad that someone else feels the same way.

Eating, coughing, sneezing...existing. Humans are gross.

By TBone on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 01:55 pm:

Wow. I can ignore almost anything, and rarely notice such little sounds.

By eri on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 03:35 pm:

My friend S is on the patch, and she loves it even more than she loved her depo. She hasn't had any problems with side effects, and I hope that continues for you guys as well.

I still love my depo, and the lack of side effects from it.....

I never noticed the eating sounds until after I had been married to Spunky for a while. He used to complain about Hayley, and then I noticed it for the first time. Now it makes me nuts too. I can't eat in the same room as Hayley anymore.

By agatha on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 10:41 pm:

wow, you guys are freaks.

By TBone on Thursday, November 6, 2003 - 12:59 am:

Totally.

By The Watcher on Thursday, November 6, 2003 - 02:48 pm:

So what else is new?

We're all a little strange. That's what keeps us sane. Or at least close to it.

By kazu on Thursday, November 6, 2003 - 06:48 pm:

I hate the sound of people whispering. argh. like these fuckshits behind me. I want to smack them.

By Antigone on Thursday, November 6, 2003 - 07:07 pm:

I hate it when people make smacking sounds while eating in an otherwise quiet room. Makes me want to break shit.

Ain't it kewl that my new office mate does that ALL OF THE TIME?

MP3 player to the rescue!

By J on Friday, November 7, 2003 - 10:56 am:

I hate hearing someone snore,my husband used to snore really bad,thank God somehow he got over it.His parents used to stay with us and his dad had sleep apnea wich was really bad,nobody slept but him.

By Spider on Friday, November 7, 2003 - 11:23 am:

I hate it when people do/think/say/wear/eat/love/hate something slightly deviant from the norm and then carry on like they're fuggin Andy Warhol.

Whispering in church makes me want to convert to the Aztec ways just for the human sacrifices. Old women especially have this slurpy loose-dentury sound to their whispers that is physically revolting and makes it impossible for me to think about radiating Jesus' love for humanity. Sorry about that.

By Spider on Friday, November 7, 2003 - 11:25 am:

Oh, another thing I hate? Month-long PMS due to a broken hormonal system. I'm telling you, if I don't bleed soon.....well, I don't know what I'm going to do.

Come on, uterus.

By kazu on Friday, November 7, 2003 - 11:27 am:

Give me a B! Give me an L! Give me an O....

sniffing all your bogies up instead of blowing your nose. hate that.

By kazu on Friday, November 7, 2003 - 11:29 am:

If they are subtle, I can tolerate most of these noises amongst people that I like.

I hate when people hum during lectures or discussion or when they taste something. either nod or make a real word.

By Antigone on Friday, November 7, 2003 - 11:55 am:

Spider, in my case it's really an anomaly. I'm an extremely laid back guy. It takes a huge amount of bad stimuli to piss be off. Except in this one case. It seems like there's a direct line between that sound and the irritation part of my brain.

And I'm not the only one in my family who is that way. My dad is just the same...same kind of sound, same reaction.

By Spider on Friday, November 7, 2003 - 12:02 pm:

I had been thinking of the Watcher when I wrote that. I'm totally with you on this one, Antigone.

By Spider on Friday, November 7, 2003 - 02:45 pm:

My uterus apparently responds well to threatening. VICTORY!

Alas, it's a Pyrrhic victory, as I'm now being assaulted by cramps.

(I just have to say, I don't know if it's the hormones, or happiness that it's Friday, or what, but I feel like I've had two glasses of wine.)

By The Watcher on Friday, November 7, 2003 - 03:47 pm:

I know I missed something there spider.

By the way there really is no norm. It's just our perception of what normal is.

Do you really think in the 1950's women cleaned house and other things wearing dresses and pearls?
    That was suposed to be the norm at least according to the TV networks.

And, thank god most families are not like the osbornes. Or, the osmonds for that matter.

By heather on Friday, November 7, 2003 - 04:12 pm:

thanks for clearin that up watcher ole boy!

By LordLing on Friday, November 7, 2003 - 05:07 pm:

You all suck.

I will eat your children.

By Pms-s-y syl on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 05:48 pm:

Can you eat Kraft Jet puff marshmallow fluff out of the jar with a spoon? Or barf at the smell of Nivea lotion once a month? I envy the men occassionally.

By sarah on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 03:56 pm:

have you ever had menstrual cramps so bad it gave you diarrhea?

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 04:04 pm:

No, can't say I've had the pleasure, but I'm game for anything once.

By J on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 04:43 pm:

Good Dougie,cause your really missing out.

By wisper on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 06:23 pm:

yes, sarah.

By kazu on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 06:50 pm:

Yes, but I'm not sure it was the caused by the cramps themselves.

By sarah on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:31 am:

so you think the cramps were related to having diarrhea and not to having a period?

By Spider on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:07 am:

I can't answer for Kazu, but I know that when I have my period, my digestion is a little off. So if you were me, I would say the diarrhea is related to having your period, and the cramps are just there as an added bonus.

By kazu on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:17 pm:

I think my period brings a variety of hellish experiences which include both cramps and diarrhea.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact