ICQ sucks

sorabji.com: Dreamland: ICQ sucks
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Zagy on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 01:40 pm:

I'll never again use ICQ
    never
    f*ck ICQ

By Nate on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 03:09 pm:

yeah. fuck I*Q.

and fuck y*u, y*u ass.

By Gee on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 12:53 pm:

hey, does anyone want to know some characteristics of the studio system? Because I could tell you!

I just finshed my exam. I'm a genius!

By Nate on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 01:18 pm:

woo!
    what's teh studio system?

By patrick on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 01:34 pm:

studio system

streamlining movie production, during the 40s and 50s.....you had core writers, core actors, directors, producers, line producers and so on.....making movies in almost a factory like way.

Actors in those days usually signed with one studio, and one studio only.....getting scripts was key, writing movies was a group effort for some studios, many studios also looked to major novelists as well for stories.

creativity was often stifled in the name of efficiency and profit. the studio system ran some of the majors broke. Paramount, Warner, MGM, Universal....selling off land in metro LA is what saved some of them...or coming up with theme parks...

By Nate on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 02:07 pm:

ah. like in that movie about the guy who writes movies with john goodman the sales guy in the room next door and the dead people and you know.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 02:14 pm:

it also involved racketering of the theaters...

you had studios, distributors and theaters all owned by the same company....you had forced distribution, studios saying "well you don't get Terminator 5 unless you carry Arnold's other hit Jingle All the Way" i forget the term for this, but bascially you had complete vertical integration, and of course many abused this, so they eventually broke em up in the 50s.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 02:15 pm:

i'm sure Gee can articualte all off this better, being fresh on her mind, i had my class 2 years ago

By Gee on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 03:05 pm:

oligopolystic

isn't that a Great word??

genius gee! on the run!

By Nate on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 04:04 pm:

oligopolystic? isn't that a home perm kit?

By semillama on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 04:13 pm:

Sounds like something dire that grows on the inside of your sack.

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 05:17 pm:

payola

By moonit on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 05:21 pm:

or shoddy clothing material, a cross between
    polyester and oligopo

its hailing here now, and there was snow this
    morning. Its freakin summer DAMMIT.

stupid storm, then fine, now hail.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 05:22 pm:

I would be into hail. It's grey again out, and looks lame. I want the rain back.

By Gee on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 01:23 am:

the studio system was oligopolistic in nature.

it's not necessary that you understand it. just learn it and repeat it and everyone will widen their eyes in the face of your genius.

also remember: vertical integration.

I'm a Blue smartie.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 11:36 am:

you know what else is neato....downt the street from my house we have the city's oldest studio...they still use it, built in the late teens..

also, Hollywood may never have been Hollywood had it not been for Indian Summer in AZ.

The film industry initially started out in Edison, NJ, with the inventions of Edison and his team of people. However Eastman/Kodak began to implement a monopoly over film and film sales, not to mention weather was a huge deterrent, so not only did people get their knee caps busted for buying film from France, they were looking for better suited place to make movies. Soundstages weren't as advanced, and out door shooting was almost necessary. So they travelled west to Phoenix, however the people came during indian summer, in august, when it downpoured, so someone along the way had heard about a place called Los Angeles, and the wonderful weather they have there, so they packed their bags and moved here....

hollywood became hollywood....

insert dorky know-it-all smile

By Nate on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 05:45 pm:

all that knowledge AND a huge cock?

damn. some boys get all the breaks.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 07:14 pm:

suck my hogg you over paid mouse jockey!

By Nate on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 07:59 pm:

damn.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 08:22 pm:

you like that shit?

theres more where that came

a stressed waffle can be quite nasty.

By Nate on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 10:50 pm:

no, friend. i do not like it. i mean, after all these years, is that all i am to you? an over paid mouse jockey?

By Cat on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 11:32 pm:

I hate it when Mummy and Daddy fight. It makes me want to cry.

By Nate on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 12:12 am:

d0 we have to put the ball gag back in?

By J on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 12:50 am:

Patrick,you call them Indian Summers,we Zonies call them monsoons,it's raining tonight yea!!

By pez on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 01:17 am:

you're both wrong. it's oregon sunshine, dammit!

By Isolde on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 11:25 am:

Ys, do put the gag back in, daddy, she whines at me when you're not here.

By patrick on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 11:55 am:

(ahem)

Im sorry nate,

I, daddy, was stressed yesterday.

i was just venting what i really wanted to say to my boss after a very futile meeting. it's my boss that should suck my hogg

daddy, doesn't really think you are overpaid....

By Gee on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 02:34 pm:

how many of you thought Vishnu was the destroyer? Because he's not! He's the protector! So there!!

By Tired on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 03:57 pm:

indian summer is sposedta mean summer-like weather in fall, no? and I can't imagine rain is summer-like weather for arizona, eh?

hmm

By Isolde on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 04:28 pm:

yup.

By semillama on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 04:31 pm:

high of 80 today here in Wisconsin.

That's indian summer.

One last tease before the snow flies, as if to say "enjoy it now, I won't be back until May at the earliest!"

By pez on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 06:36 pm:

lucky lucky lucky. our snow (twice a year if we're lucky) lasts maybe two days. once it snowed the night before my birthday, but it melted by the next morning.

By Isolde on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 08:51 pm:

We've gotten one little flurry of snow here today. I'm expecting more later in the year, but since I've never lived here during a winter, I'm not sure how this will turn out. I like snow. There are icicles in the morning now.

By Nate on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 09:24 pm:

no snow here. i hate snow.

By Nate on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 09:25 pm:

and snow "sports".

that's not a sport, that's a jackass riding a stick down a snow covered mountain.

By Isolde on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 09:25 pm:

Oh, snow is a goodness in respectable amounts...

By Cat on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 10:26 pm:

I like spicy snow

By J on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 10:41 pm:

It was cooler here today and rainy and dark,and I loved it,that constant sun gets old after forever.

By Isolde on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 02:49 am:

I just watch Titus, one of the most messed up movies I've ever seen, and I thought it didn't get any worse after that wierd Hungarian movie. Anyway. Walking home. Alone. In the dark.
    There was frost everywhere. It was magical. PErfectly clear, and the frost picked up glints of moonlight and reflected back in little fragments and crunched under my feet. It was so amazing!

By semillama on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 08:48 am:

too warm here yet for that, although when I was driving to Saint Paul a couple weeks ago, it snowed a little.

I have a picture up at my desk of Mavis in a parka, waving with thick mittens, while a front end loader (a big one) removes snow from our driveway. The snow is almost up to the front window of the house we lived in, and the window was a good six and a half feet off the ground. The photo was taken in the winter of 1996. It will be one of the photos that will make it on my webpage in the future event of my acquiring a scanner.

By patrick on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 12:30 pm:

i ahver heard great things aboyut Titus, i have been meaning to rent it....just the cover....

the sets, costumes and make are said to be over the top......

not sure about the story, but thats enough fore me to check it out.

we get snow about an hour away....up to mt. wilson and mt baldy.

after rain we got snow caps in the back groud.

it's amazing what such a short drive can produce.

By Isolde on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 12:51 pm:

They are, the sets and costumes were just amazing. The movie is so damn cool. The makeup is outstanding. It's very bloody, but that's because Titus is a very bloody play. I think it was really well done. As always, I was disappointed in how much dialogue they cut--there wasn't actually very much talking and the movie is long. Anyway, yes, you should rent it. Everyone should, it's outstanding.
    The director also did "The Lion King," which is on Broadway right now...

By Nate on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 04:23 pm:

prospero's books is my favorite shakespere adaptation.

By Shaun on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 05:44 am:

Hi... Just found this post on searching for charcteristics of the Studio sytem, and was wondering if Gee could give me some info. Got a big assessment coming up, and haven't really piclked up much on characteristics of the studio system or why critics refer to it as classical filmmaking. Hope you can provide me with some answers!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact