Morse Code from my brain

sorabji.com: Dreamland: Morse Code from my brain
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Friday, December 7, 2007 - 02:54 am:

The other night, I dreamt I read this phrase written in a notebook:

There is not enough love in fear, and too much power in power.

It makes me think.

Hey, y'all.

By agatha on Friday, December 7, 2007 - 03:32 am:

SPIDER! Where'd you go? We missed you! Catch us up.

By Spider on Friday, December 7, 2007 - 04:26 am:

AGATHA! :)

I'm here in Boston, going to library school. Next semester is my last, and I am (hang onto your hat) concentrating in cataloging. My dream job is to catalog rare books. Which sounds so sad right now, but it's really true. Rare books + cataloging = bliss. (But not Bliss, okay? OOOHHH, horrible cataloging joke. I'm so ashamed.)

I started off in an archives concentration, but after my internship at the archives of the Archdiocese of Boston, I realized that all I cared about was organizing the unprocessed material into a hierarchical system. I couldn't care less about the reference work (and certainly not about the legal issues) involved in working as an archivist. So last spring I took the intro cataloging class, and this fall I'm taking Subject Analysis and Classification (and loving it, as sick as that is). Next semester is Descriptive Cataloging, Subject Indexing, and a required Technology course. I'm also thinking of auditing a course on Rare Books and Special Collections.

We spent a month on Dewey in my Subject Analysis class, and it...it excited me. I love DDC. YEAH, I SAID IT. I also feel that next to the technology, um, stuff (sorry, it's 1:30 am), cataloging is the most rigorous type of librarianship, so if I specialize in it now, I'll be able to work in almost any kind of capacity once I graduate. (Am I making sense? I mean to say that other types of jobs I could probably learn to do on the job, but cataloging is so arcane that you need to have formal training to do it well.)

I'm also taking Reference this semester, and my final project (due next Friday and I haven't done a thing except think about it) is really cool -- we get to pick any topic in the world that interests us, choose a handful of good sources of info, and write a very casual (can be in the style of a letter to a friend) paper just explaining why we chose the topic and why these sources are so interesting/good. I'm writing on the Bloody Sunday massacre in Northern Ireland, because I've been interested in that for years and have amassed a sizeable collection of sources on my own, and now I'll finally get to put that knowledge to use. I'm excited to write this paper, and that's a very unusual feeling for me. The Reference class has actually been really cool, and I think I would totally love the field if I didn't have to work with the public. :) Because basically, I just want to know everything there is to know, but I don't want to deal with irritating people. (Hey, I worked for 3.5 years in customer service, and if I never do that again in any capacity I will die happy.)

Let's see, what else. I'm going to Italy for two weeks over winter break to visit my relatives with my father and brother. (My brother wants to go to Prague while we're there, but the train ride from Venice will be 12 hours, and I don't think I can handle that.) My best friend since high school had a baby last year (which really freaked me out) and I'll finally get to see her and the baby in January when I return home. I'm living with my mom as she recovers from cancer (she's doing very well), and I have no idea where I'm going after I graduate but I hope to live west of the Mississippi.

Ummm. I'm reading Stanislaw Lem's "A Perfect Vacuum" right now, because I remembered Dave talking about him. (I'm really enjoying it.) Before that, I picked up Jamie O'Neill's "At Swim, Two Boys," but I haven't finished it because I just know it will end in tears, and I don't want to deal with that. (It's a fantastic book, btw.)

I haven't been to the movie theatre since this summer, but I'm hoping to see "No Country for Old Men" this weekend (if I can spare the time away from another paper I'm writing).

Ummm. I hope the WGA strike ends soon because I'm going to pine away if I don't get a fresh supply of "Pushing Daisies" every week.

*deep breath*

That's about it for me. What are you up to? :) Tell me all about your job! Do you work in reference?

By kazu on Friday, December 7, 2007 - 05:27 am:

Hi Spider!

I miss my old archive job where I could go and
    smell the old books and original drafts of
    Satanic Verses at my leisure.

Sem and I may go see No Country for Old Men
    this weekend as well. Last week we saw Beowulf
    which was exciting and entertaining.

I think you need to work in Emory's Manuscripts,
    Archives, and Rare Books Library (MARBL) and
    enjoy all the papers from all the Irish poets
    we have there.

By wisper on Friday, December 7, 2007 - 07:15 am:

No Country for Old Men is lovely. Brutal and lovely.

By Spider on Friday, December 7, 2007 - 03:12 pm:

Kazu and Wisper, I didn't mean to exclude you from my "What are you up to?" query! Seriously, yo, what are you up to? I can't remember the last time I posted here, so fill me in on the past year of your lives.

Is Salman Rushdie still at Emory, Kazu? Have you gotten a chance to attend any of his lectures or what-have-you? I saw him on a re-run of the Colbert Report, and if I hadn't already known him to be, uh, an It-Getter, that would have sealed the deal.

By kazu on Friday, December 7, 2007 - 03:21 pm:

He's there for five years for something and I
    did get to attend a lecture (I actually was an
    usher). Afterwards I was pulling out of the lot
    where I parked and I noticed Rushdie and his
    people in the security cart waiting to be taken
    to his car. I looked at him, he looked at me, I
    waved, and then he gave me a big smile and waved
    back. My friend Simon took a four week seminar
    with him and said he's very easy to approach
    and talk to.

Now I am living in Ohio with Sem. There are
    wedding and dog pictures on my flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/saucyintellectualtart

By semillama on Friday, December 7, 2007 - 03:58 pm:

Hi Spider! I was just thinking about how I missed your posts.

Yeah, what Kazu said, plus there's honeymoon shots on my flickr page as well (you can get there by clicking on me in Kazu's contact list).

Er, what else?

I just finished Jonathan Safran Foer's "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" which is a really heartbreaking piece of literature. Although I would like to see Foer's next work have characters that aren't survivors of major traumatic events...

Anyway, if you enjoyed "Everything is Illuminated" then read this book. It's fantastic.

Next on my list is Michael Chabon's "The Final Solution."

By Spider on Friday, December 7, 2007 - 06:24 pm:

Oh my gosh, what a cool place to have a wedding! (Belated congratulations, of course!) Where is that big red barn? Kazu, I love that picture of you sticking out your tongue while be-ringing Sem.

And PUPPY! *sigh* I want a pug. They always look worried. Do you call him Henry?

Sem, are your honeymoon pictures in your "Travel" section? I need a point in the right direction. :)

(Did I tell you that one of my roommates in Montana had family in the UP and -- my memory is failing me right now -- may have either known or been related to a Sewell or two? I should email her for clarification.)

Has Sarah had her baby? I guess I should explore more of the board...

By kazu on Friday, December 7, 2007 - 07:36 pm:

The barn is in Peabody, MA. It's part of their
    historical society, but is also a functioning farm.
    There were animals down the road (including a
    llama) and we got pictures of the big tractor that
    came through.

Henry is the baby, yes. He's very needy and
    currently sleeping in a ball on my lap under my
    bathrobe.

By platypus on Friday, December 7, 2007 - 08:57 pm:

Sarah has had her baby, her name is Charlotte and she is doing very well.

It's so exciting to have Spider back.

By Antigone on Friday, December 7, 2007 - 09:02 pm:

Did you know my wife had our baby?

By Antigone on Friday, December 7, 2007 - 09:04 pm:

Our neighbor down the block rescues pugs. They barked at us not 30 minutes ago as we came back from our walk.

By agatha on Saturday, December 8, 2007 - 12:18 am:

I can't believe you're almost done with school, Spider! And, I think it's totally awesome that you want to become a cataloger. I could never do it, but I think it's a super important job. It's the backbone of a smoothly running library, really. I think the cool thing about getting an MLS is that there's room for all kinds of people to do all kinds of things. Like fast paced environments? Medical, corporate, or law libraries. Like history and old stuff? Special libraries, archives and museums. Like people? University, community college, and public libraries. It's all there.

Yeah, I'm doing reference work at a busy public library. My job is pretty much exactly like this...http://refgrunt.blogspot.com/
    I love my job, though. It's the best job I've ever had.

Welcome back, we missed you. Don't disappear for so long again like that, or I'll be forced to beat your ass.

PS- Greg, Ada is getting cuter by the minute. Seriously. More pictures!

By Spider on Saturday, December 8, 2007 - 05:42 pm:

Antigone, your baby is edible.

Agatha, from your personality here it seems like you'd be a perfect reference librarian -- very friendly and approachable and down-to-earth. I love my reference class and think reference librarians have to be among the smartest, coolest people on the planet. You get to learn about everything! But, man, I could never do that job at a public library...you have my respect.

School is my life right now. I'll try to be more interesting. :)

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, December 8, 2007 - 10:33 pm:

Hi Everyone

By wisper on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 04:39 am:

i need somebody to bounce a package for me....pwease?
    I want to order something off a site, but they'll only ship to the USA. Fuckers.

By semillama on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 03:31 pm:

Sorry, Spider! You reminded me that I needed to add those photos into the Travel set. You should be able to find them now.

By platypus on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 03:32 pm:

I'll be your package mule, wisper.

By semillama on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 03:37 pm:

Sorry, Spider! You reminded me that I needed to add those photos into the Travel set. You should be able to find them now.

By wisper on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 05:03 pm:

By copyjack on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:48 pm:

Sorry, Spider! You reminded sem that he needed to add those photos into the Travel set. You should be able to find them now.

By sarah on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 06:38 pm:

hi Spider!

thanks for getting us caught up on your life. you sound really happy.

yes, i had my baby too. Charlotte Johanna. she's awesome.

By droopy on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 07:04 pm:

at least i can see the pictures of sarah's baby. i still haven't been able access the pictures of antigone's alleged spawn.

hi spider.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:02 pm:

Sarah, your baby so adorable!

By Spider on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 03:50 pm:

Oh, so cute. That's a lovely name for a lovely baby, Sarah. You're going to be a kick-ass mom.

Hi Droopy. :)

I finally got myself an iPod yesterday. Music...everywhere!

By Czarina on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 02:24 pm:

Sarah, WOW! what a cutie! You've outdone yourself!!!!!! Congrads!

Tiggster----EXCELLANT work---you done yourself proud!!!!

Welcome mini-Sorabjites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By sarah on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 12:10 am:

mark thomas, please i beg you, can you make my post above on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 06:38 pm please please please go away. or at least the link.

By Danielssss on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 12:20 am:

what the deal with the stalking stuff s? for real? involving your offspring? Do we need the sorabjiforce to intervene?

I have been troubled by some of the posts in f'bk, people I didn't necessarily want to know so much about, nor me them.

Somehow I feel much safer here.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 02:04 am:

sarah, there's nothing wrong with your baby... we're not stalking you or your baby...

I have two of my children, remembering taking care of them when they were baby back then..

If I have to set up flickr account, I will probably show what they looks like back then....:-) On the weekend I hope.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact