Nightmares

sorabji.com: Dreamland: Nightmares
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By M on Thursday, April 2, 1998 - 04:34 pm:
    I read that if you have a nightmare about having a nightmare, then you're in BIG trouble, the likes of which you've never even imagined.

Which is odd, because the last time I had a nightmare about having a nightmare (in which I actually had a nightmare, then dreamt I woke up and said "My God, I've just had the worst dream of my life), nothing bad happened to me at all.

In fact, the worst things happen to me when I haven't had any dreams for a few nights in a row. Then I start acting all weird and can't think straight and get all paranoid and become crazy in a generalized way. I assume dreams set your brain straight, or something like that. Except when you have a bad nightmare -- then your day is ruined.

I had a dream once (actually I have it often, only in different forms) where I was in this dark, cold room with no furniture, and there was this dark-haired man in there with me (and I couldn't see his face, but I don't think it was anyone from real life). He was alternately violent and affectionate, like he'd shove me and grab my hands and swing me against the wall, and then suddenly hug me and comfort me. Just when I would forget that he'd been violent, he'd be violent again. And it was a cold violence -- nothing gleeful or sexual or sadistic. He really hated me.

This dream messes me up all day whenever I have it. I wake up and feel disgusting and continue feeling disgusting until I fall asleep again. Which is hard to do, because it's like the sensations you have when you wake up linger around the bed when you go to sleep the next night.
    Actually, this is the best way to remember forgotten dreams: just lie down on your bed in the position you woke up in, and try to recapture the feeling you had when you wake up.

Works every time.

By Hannah on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 02:09 am:
    THIS IS WORTH READING!!!
    I had this dream that I was in a boat. Not like the Titanic, but like, a captain's shore boat. I'm hanging my head over, and someone on the boat, gives me a shove over the side.
    I fall into the water, which is not too cold, not too warm, and in my dream I can't swim, so I sink down to the bottom, where's this building where men in purple suits go in and out all day.

It then turns into an airport, and I'm being chased by these men, and I run into an elevator, which takes me into the cockpit. I run over these men and other pedestrians, killing them all. I feel no remorse, so I then go into a building, which happens to be my school, but it's like a hotel. I sit at the bed, (it was a music room, I think) and I take out a sub sandwich, and throw it at the TV.

Odd, yes? Comments?

By M on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 11:17 am:
    Um, yes, quite strange. What do you feel in this dream? Panic? Resignation? (wait. you throw a hoagie at the tv? that's really funny.) Are you in control of the events, or are you just kind of along for the ride (know what I mean?)?

Are you choking while you're in the water? Are you drowning? Are you afraid of the men chasing you? Can you move?

By Your English teacher on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 12:50 pm:
    Aren't you supposed to be studying?

By Hannah on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 07:34 pm:
    Studying? LOL!!!

No, it's like I can breathe right in the water, it's just like there's water there, but I can breathe fine. The men that are chasing me are trying to catching me, and I'm very scared.

I can't control my dreams, I wish I could, but I can't. I don't dream on weekdays because I wake up when I'm still in REM because I wake up way too early.

By PetRock on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 08:48 pm:
    Hmmm, I wrote a long response to this today but I forgot to hit the "Post this Message" button, so now it is lost forever.

And I don't feel like trying to type it over again. Suffice to say it involved my dream of falling and hitting the ground - I had always been told you would wake up before you hit the ground. Was I surprised!

And don't get me started on my childhood nightmare of the Esso tiger tickling me until I would wake up and be sore.

By Christopher on Monday, April 6, 1998 - 01:06 pm:
    Wasn't the Esso tiger, like, really buff? He was sort of like an anthropomorphized tiger/body builder, right? Jeez...I used to fantasize about him. Rowr.

By PetRock on Monday, April 6, 1998 - 02:35 pm:
    LOL@Christopher.

I guess the Esso tiger is better than Tony the Tiger.

Never fantasized about either though. It's just that my father used to tickle me way too much and I would end up having nightmares about it. Only it wasn't dad, it was the tiger. Weird...

By Hannah on Tuesday, April 7, 1998 - 12:47 am:
    I had a dream I was riding a bus, and the bus driver turned around and told us that he was gonna kill himself when he got home, and we were driving up this hill in my town called cemetery hill, AND we drove through this tunnel and fell 1000 feet vertical drop when we came out the other side. Bam. Dead like that.

OUCH.

Hmm...

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Tuesday, April 7, 1998 - 08:03 am:
    I dreamt last night that someone I know died. I must call to make sure she is ok.

*feeling very weird*

By M on Tuesday, April 7, 1998 - 01:15 pm:
    I had this dream last night that I was in the house I grew up in, and my father and I were standing in the kitchen at night. He was telling me that he keeps hearing these weird noises all around the house. I was telling him that I was always afraid of wandering around the house at night because I thought it was haunted (true). Then the dream turned into this weird thing: I was standing in this forest that was getting cut down. There was a holy well in the forest. There were evil spirits all around, or something like that. These two spears and arrows were flung at me by accident by these people wearing socks with the words "Bear" and "breath" on them. Apparently, I had socks on like them, only with a different animal and a different body part written on them.

It was a very hazy, uncontrollable dream. Strange.

By . on Tuesday, November 17, 1998 - 08:50 am:

M, I love you.

By Rhiannon on Friday, November 19, 1999 - 11:00 am:

M was my friend Emily who transferred this summer and told me she wouldn't be coming back by email on the first day of school. It was she who told me about this place. I think she posted under other names, too.

Anyway. I sleep with the radio turned all the way to the right because I like the static. Sometimes I pick up what sounds like air traffic control signals...pilots calling in to the airport asking for permission to land and things like that.

People also say that if you're looking to record EVPs (electronic voice phenomenon....supposedly the voices of the dead, hence the band name Dead Voices On Air), you can also turn the radio to static, ask questions, and when you play the tape back your answers will be on there.

This morning I woke up and I could hear people talking through the static on the radio. But it didn't sound like the airplane pilots. It sounded like people yelling and then I heard a voice saying "re....re...re..." (or "Rhi....Rhi....Rhi....") and I thought, "When it starts saying my name, then I'll get worried."
    And I fell back asleep. Now I don't know if I dreamt the whole thing or not.

By Patrick on Friday, November 19, 1999 - 01:34 pm:

by the way, though i know little about the man, I know he was highly regarded by the beats, Paul Bowles died the other day........I think now may be agood time to pick up one of his books

By Spider on Saturday, July 1, 2000 - 11:40 am:

Last night I dreamt that I had a little sister of about 5 years of age whom we called Angel. She and I were walking down a city street when suddenly I realized I was alone. I walked all around the city calling her name, and somehow I ended up in the apartment of this couple. The woman looked like Yoko Ono and the guy was the guy from "Oz" who's also in the new "Law & Order" show (the dark-haired, muscular one...not Dean Winters...I can't remember his name).

Anyway, I knew this couple had my sister, and I knew that the man was going to molest her, if he had not already done so. Their apartment also was a clothing store, so I pretended to be interested in buying a dress in order to look around and find my sister.

Eventually, I found her asleep in one of the bedrooms. I sat on the floor by the bed, and I saw that she had kicked off her socks and that her socks were under the bed. That made me very sad: I thought to myself that I did that, too...we must be so alike. The man walked in, and somehow I found a towel and started washing her face (she was still asleep), telling the man that her face was dirty and I was just helping to clean "his daughter" up. I noticed that I was very attracted to this man, despite the fact that I knew he had hurt my sister.

The next thing I knew, the couple and I were in this country club-type place. The couple played this odd game that resembled badminton, except that they used an enameled, multicolored ball that moved very slowly through the air. Then we sat down to eat. We were served insects. I wasn't disgusted at all...I ate them readily. I bit into this one worm, and I found that it tasted like meat and it wasn't unpleasant.

The Yoko-looking woman asked me about a waterfall that was supposedly near my house, and she described it as a very peaceful little trickle. I remembered that the waterfall was in fact very loud and turbulent and fast-moving, and I started to mimic the sound of the water ("No, it's like *sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh*") when all of a sudden I felt the worm that I had eaten come up in my throat.

I reached into my mouth and pulled out the worm and it was huge. It had grown several feet, and I had to tug on it to get it out of my throat. (I could really feel it inside me, just like I could really taste it when I ate it.) When I got that one out, I could feel more inside my throat, so I pulled them out, too. I had to almost vomit them out because they were so unwilling to come out. Strangely, I wasn't all that upset or panic-stricken during all of this.

Now, of course, I'm disgusted. What an icky dream.

By Gee on Sunday, July 2, 2000 - 01:19 am:

Chris Meloni? if that's not the proper spelling, it's darn close.

I love that guy. his "romance" with Beecher (however it's spelled) was so tragic. I keep seeing him popping up in different shows now. I never realized he was in "Crash". I saw him looking old and hairy in some other show a while back, too.

I love the way people from "Oz", "Homicide" and L&O always cross over as different characters. especially that one small guy (who's name I could never spell) who was the DA on "Homicide", the mayor (governor?) on "Oz" and at least two different murderers on L&O.

the only thing I don't like about the new L&O is that there's some point in Every Episode where I feel like I'm being preeched too by the morally perfect detectives. but I'll continue to watch it as long as my Munchkin stays on.

By Gee on Sunday, July 2, 2000 - 01:19 am:

ps...what an odd dream.

By Rhiannon on Sunday, July 2, 2000 - 05:15 pm:

Yeah, that's the guy! I like him.

I like the new L&O, too, though I've only seen a couple episodes. The ones I've seen didn't preach too much, to the best of my recollection.

What was the reason for Munch to move up to New York? (Homicide RIP)

I think my dream symbolized the loosening of my morals when it comes to sexual behavior. Not that I do anything bad, but that I no longer *think* things are so bad, the way I used to. Only this is wrong (according to the dream): the man and the woman are sort of like the gateway to immorality (they do bad things, and I still like them), and the worms are the demons that are roosting inside me. The little seed of evil that I let get inside me (the small worm that I ate) has multiplied and grown, and now it will be tough to rid myself of that evil. Or something. That's how I interpret the dream, anyway.

By Antigone on Sunday, July 2, 2000 - 09:54 pm:

C'mere, you!

By Jay on Monday, July 3, 2000 - 07:45 am:

"nightmares keeping me awake at night, nightmares i think i'm gonna turn on the light, nightmare, here comes the beast again."

By Rhiannon on Monday, July 3, 2000 - 09:14 am:

Yes, Antigone?

By Gee on Monday, July 3, 2000 - 07:17 pm:

I think he was inviting you over to the dark side. Look away! Look away!!

as for Munch. in the begining of the new L&o Munch implys that Billie Lou left him for a fellow detective. but in the Homicide movie when Munchkin goes back to MD we find out that He left Billie Lou. why? They say nothing!

I'm hoping that someday the Homicide gang will gueststar on L&O. :)

By Rhiannon on Monday, July 3, 2000 - 07:38 pm:

What about Bayliss? He killed that one guy, didn't he, so won't he be in jail? (Shame on me, I didn't see the movie.) I don't want to see a Homicide cross-over without him, poor man.

By Justin on Monday, July 3, 2000 - 10:29 pm:

Check this out. I just saw the end of The Wizard of Oz on TV, and I just realized how girly the Cowardly Lion looks in the movie. He is played by a man, but has a red ribbon in his hair just like the one Dorothy has in her hair (I think hers is blue or pink), and its all in curls, kind of like Shirley Temple. It's like all this time he was gay, or maybe not gay but just feminine, and I never knew it from when I was a kid untill just now. It kind of blew my mind, know what I'm sayin?. It was great. I hadn't seen the movie in years, and a lot of it I didn't remember. If I were to think back about the movie, (before just now when I saw the end of it), it would have been a hazy recollection.

Its weird what things you notice when you see a movie that you hardly remember. Sometimes you notice things that you hadn't recalled in your memory but you remember once you see it. Sometimes you notice things that you probably didn't see at all the first time. And sometimes you see things that somehow conflict with your memory of what you were supposed to see.

I don't know if I'll have any dreams about this sudden revelation regarding the lion because I can't clearly recall my dreams as often as I would like, but I think it would be interesting to dream myself into this movie. I think I remember some parts of it being somewhat scary as a kid, so maybe it would be a nightmare.

By Gee on Tuesday, July 4, 2000 - 01:34 am:

oh yeah. Frank took him in, didn't he?

we never saw a trial or anything like that. he could have gotten off and headed over to NY to catch up with Munch. and then maybe Gee came back from the dead and....

well. I can dream, can't I?

By Jay on Wednesday, July 5, 2000 - 07:44 am:

i recently watched psycho and the whole first half of the movie is all about this girl working for this bank and she snags this extra cash and takes off. i wasn't even sure it was psycho till about an hour into the movie.
    in psycho 3 i think, or psycho 2000 or some shit i remember seeing. norman comes back and his motel is a big drug-hole/whore-house. the guy running the place is a sleezebag and it's the sausage and cheese eating looking cop from nypd blue. whatever his name is . the fat one.

By Spider on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 07:42 pm:

I had a nightmare this morning and the memory of it keeps popping into my consciousness, so I'm going to put it down here to get it out of my head.

It started off as a nice dream about flying like a bird over Yellowstone Park. Then suddenly I was trapped in an apartment with Bob, Donna's father, on "That 70s Show," who made me play the piano with him....but Bob was not the nice guy he is on TV. I can't describe how terrified I was of him....he seemed to be perpetually on the verge of beating the shit out of me. I tried to explain that I might make mistakes when I play because I was rusty, so he should bear with me, but he made it clear that that was absolutely unacceptable.

Time went by, and Bob went to take a shower in an adjacent room that was like a locker room (the showerhead was just on a wall, and the whole room would get wet). I went outside into the hallway, and there was a blonde woman standing out there looking very frightened. I went up to see if she was all right and I saw that she was bleeding from the mouth and blood was all over her chin and down her blouse. I knew somehow that this was another one of Bob's women, and that he was responsible for her injuries.

I went back into our apartment and I saw that it was full of maintenance men doing repairs. I told them about the woman, asking them to help her, but they just shook their heads. I said, "I'd better let Bob know that she's hurt," and I knocked on the door to the shower room. He came out, naked, and his whole body had grown in size till he was probably well over 6' tall and had a huge hairy barrel chest, which is what I focused my eyes on. He was furious with me for interrupting the shower, and he just stood there staring at me in this horrible way. I patted him skittishly on the chest, trying to placate him, and I told him "Nancy" outside was bleeding. He just stared at me, and I knew that he was about to start beating me to death, and that's when I woke up.

I keep remembering his face staring at me.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact