the same pants I wore a year ago this month

sorabji.com: What are you wearing?: the same pants I wore a year ago this month
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Cyst on Wednesday, January 27, 1999 - 08:16 pm:

I told him I couldn't start work for another week. I didn't want to work, I wanted to go to astoria, oregon. I had to wear these jeans I have on now, the best size and faded blue color, with a gray wool sweater. to match january in northwestern oregon.

I washed the jeans and put them in the dryer, which I don't normally do, because I needed them in time for the trip. I got up early, planned which st. helens cafe I would eat breakfast in.

did a couple deep-knee bends to stretch the hot pants to fit my thighs and ass.

got on the road.

the big trip, a couple hours from portland to the corner of the state. the right colors, the right comfort. a week from then I'd be stuck in an office forever.

drove about half an hour out, and the roads were too icy to go any farther.

so I turned around and went home.

By Cyst on Tuesday, June 15, 1999 - 12:02 pm:

tell me about your favorite summer outfits.

I'm wearing the same pants I wore a year ago this month. from the sale rack at the gap. a pale yellowy linen. men's xl. as slouchy as you could want, with a drawstring at the waist. $19.99. no sales tax.

not sure they go with the shirt, a handmade faded cherry-red linen tank top.

they're fine with the leather fishermen's sandals, though.

today a coworker said he is having his girlfriend, my seamstress, make him some trousers. what fabric, I asked. linen, he said.

he said he'd wear them once every two weeks. after one wear they'd be wrinkled, and it would take his laundry lady two weeks to have them pressed and ready to go again.

(I love ukraine, where journalists can afford to have their own laundry ladies and seamstresses.)

no no no no. you miss the point! linen is supposed to be wrinkled. how can anyone not know this? ironed linen keeps its straight edges for maybe 15 minutes. god.

I love linen so much I want to be a flax farmer. not really, but in that way that suburban-raised people think of the country life. it's strong, it breathes, it's beautiful. you can see the weave of the fabric. it feels so good. it looks like an unmade bed on a sunday morning.

By R.C. on Wednesday, June 16, 1999 - 06:35 pm:

I love linen too. But for reasons unknown to me/it's very hard to find in this part of FL. Even 2 yrs. ago when I was willing to go out to a high-end dept. store & spend top dollar/I cdn't finda white linen pantsuit to save my life.

I have a couple of linen dresses/which my mother insists that I iron before wearing them. But I wear them to interviews/so I guess she's right abt making the extra (fruitless) effort ot look 'polished'. But linene can be hot if there's no breeze -- it's a fairly heavy fabric.

Next to a good pr. of loose-cut pure silk pants /linen pants are the closest you'll ever get to wearing yr pj's outside. Ummmm...

By Antigone on Wednesday, June 16, 1999 - 09:59 pm:

Favorite summer outfits?

I love being a programmer in the summer. It's one of the only office professions I know that let you wear just about anything you want. Well, not always, but at least there's a chance. Accountants and lawyers and such usually don't get the choice. Programmers, though, get to wear bermuda shorts to work and management just thinks we're "eccentric," which sometimes leads them to believe that we're smarter than we really are.

When you really do get good you can wear truly crazy clothes. I'll know I've arrived when I can wear my %100 cotton Navajo print pants to work. The ones with the hole in the knee that wasn't torn there, it was _worn_ there. Ah, that'll be the day...

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, June 16, 1999 - 10:09 pm:

Ah, this relates to both threads.

I'm wearing my favorite shirt: navy blue linen. Just perfect -- the neckline's just right, it hangs right, the sleeves are the right length, it looks good on me, it feels great. Great buttons, too.

And my favorite jeans -- holes in both knees (also worn not torn) and a small hole under the right back pocket, torn when I decided to go sledding without a sled. Cuffs shredded from stepping on them (didn't I just mention my short legs?). Button fly. Faded blue. So soft.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, June 16, 1999 - 10:10 pm:

Antigone! Welcome back!

By Nate on Thursday, June 17, 1999 - 11:05 am:

i was thinking about why we get to wear whatever the fuck we want while people in other departments (in the same office) have to dress business.

i think in most business realms the quality of your monkeysuit speaks of your salary and therefore your stature. if you're making bucks, you sink it into your duds, and everyone knows where you fit into the company.

programmers and their ilk, on the other hand, don't give a fuck about the hierarchy of the business world.

not to say the computer geekchic isn't interested in establishing an clear caste system. we just base it on the number and size of the boxes on our desks.

both of mine have 21inch monitors.

By Waffleboy on Thursday, June 17, 1999 - 11:53 am:

i am packin 17",pent 300mhz.. but then again so is everybody in the company..

By sarah on Thursday, January 27, 2000 - 04:15 pm:

today i am wearing rust colored linen pants, brown strapped sandals, and a white v-neck long sleeved ann klein cotton tunic.

and it's fucking freezing here.

By Spider on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 12:59 pm:

I don't remember that blue linen shirt.

I do remember the jeans. Those were great jeans.

My favorite shirt right now is a green corduroy peasant-type shirt with a green ribbon at the neck. It's got bell sleeves and it's baggy and soft...I love that damn shirt.

By sarah on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 03:13 pm:

i remember those clothes vividly.

whenever i am feeling fat, i should return to this thread.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact