Here goes

sorabji.com: What are you wearing?: Here goes
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Kebron on Saturday, September 6, 2003 - 11:36 pm:

Well this is an interesting BBS. I was brought here by a friend. And after reading just a few posts I agree with my friend that it will take a while to get the flow and full understanding of this. As time goes on I am sure that I will do something stupid to piss someone off so I apologize ahead of time. Please forgive any spelling errors.

K

By Nate on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 12:09 am:

hey, welcome aboard!

By jack on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 12:43 am:

spelling errors are de rigeur here. relax. as far as the full understanding goes, nobody knows what the fuck is going on. post wildly. start now.

By jack on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 01:05 am:

but WHAT ARE YOU WEARING?

By Kebron on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 02:05 am:

An army PT shirt inside out and backwards, and a five o'clock shadow.

By Nate on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 02:10 am:

I was wearing a marine corps PT shirt earlier today. It smells like bonfire.

By jack on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 02:13 am:

yeah? why are you wearing that?

By jack on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 02:15 am:

goddammit, nate! i was trying to talk to the k here. smoke 'em if you got 'em.

By jack on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 02:20 am:

well, smoke whatever if whatever.

i'm going back to sleep.

By Kebron on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 02:34 am:

Smoke?! Fire!! YES BURN BURN BURN!!!............. It's ok I am relaxed now, you just got me excited when I read the word smoke. Ok it is time to crash now too I must get up early tomorrow, or is it today oh shit this sucks I'm lost.

K

By Platypus on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 02:56 am:

I am wearing plaid pajama pants and a Stag's Leap "Crush 2001" shirt, for the record.

I also really intensely adore pajama pants.

By moonit on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 04:13 am:

I'm wearing jeans and a red jersey that I keep getting my earings stuck in. Sometimes I'm such a bimbo.

hurry up summer.

By sarah on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 07:51 am:

stic.net - you must be from san antonio and therefore a friend of spunky's or eri's. that's fine, but nonetheless i am compelled to say:

fuck you you ass, and get the hell off my boards.

p.s. hi jack!

By sarah on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 07:53 am:

i am wearing pink short shorts with white letters across the ass that spell "hawaii" and white a baby tee with pink hibiscus flowers in a straight line across the boobies.

nighty night.

By Hal on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 09:57 am:

My green work pants, black WSBN shirt, commando style.

Welcome, all I can say is prepare for the worst, expect the unexpected, and don't pay any attention to anything I say ever.

By kazu on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 10:18 am:

I should be wearing pajama pants but I am not.

Hi K. Are you the K to which eri referred to earlier in a story about going out dancing?

There were stories about me here before I started posting and Sarah threatened to kick my ass if I did anything bad. I read dozens of old threads before I started posting.

By Platypus on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 12:06 pm:

I am wearing a towel and a puzzled expression because I can't find any pants and I need to go to work. It's not warm enough to wear a dress/skirt sort of affair, though, since all of those in my house are meant for warmer climes.

But it's not cold enough to go fully industrial either, and I don't want to wear a pair of flannel lined wool pants because I will die of heatstroke.

(Sung to the tune of "Where is my mind...")

Where are my pants?

By eri on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 12:32 pm:

I am wearing a pair of plaid flannel boxers and a tank top, but it's shower time, so that will change soon!

Kazoo, yes, that K.

By Nqte on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 01:01 pm:

butt ass naked, lying in bed.

By V.v. on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 03:36 pm:

Im wearing suit and tie,same as allways.

By eri on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 07:01 pm:

I wish I were butt ass naked lying in bed, but I have way too much work to do for that. I am wearing (now) a white floral jumper, with roses and violets on it.

By Kebron on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 07:31 pm:

Now I am wearing a set of BDU's.

K

By spunky on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 07:45 pm:

"fuck you you ass, and get the hell off my boards."

You pay for them, sarah?
    These your boards?

By eri on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 09:13 pm:

Oh, now isn't "Fuck you you ass" a sorabji greeting?

By Lapis on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 11:40 pm:

Rolled-up button-fly jeans and a black t-shirt that reads "PUT THE FUN BETWEEN YOUR LEGS" that I like to wear everywhere.

By Platypus on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 01:36 am:

Nqte, me too!

I am also trying to put together a syllabus because I am a guest speaker in a college class--doing a thing on gender inequality. You and me, Kazu, we ought to have words.

By kazu on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 01:46 am:

"You and me, Kazu, we ought to have words."

ok.

I like words.

By Nate on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 02:37 am:

yeah, platy, but were you drunk?

spunk, you fucking ass, don't fuck with tradition.

By semillama on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 10:21 am:

spunky's detection of humorous intent varies quite a bit, I've noticed. I got sarah's intent right away.

By Kebron on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 10:25 am:

What is the fucking deal with so fucking many fucking people using the fucking word fuck? I can't fucking believe this fucking shit. All of this fucking vulgarity is fucking rediculous. What is this fucking world fucking coming to?

K

By Hal on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 10:33 am:

Fuck you.

By Platypus on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 12:22 pm:

rediculous?

fuck you.

By patrick on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 01:00 pm:

fuck you

and fuck you

and fuck you

and fuck YOU

and FUCK you

oh and uh.... FUCK YOU TOO

i hate you all this morning.

By V.v. on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 01:13 pm:

Eri,FUCK YOU ASS, is the normal Sorabji greating,i can vouch for this,i been there a while back,but if a new Sorabji can take this shit,they are in,Provided you want to join a bunch of slightly overweight,white,Catholic,vodka drinking,mad,American, European,Eastern European,Canadian,New Zealand,way out radical dudes.AND IF YOU WANT TO BE COOL WITH ME,YOU NEED TO BE INTO DIRE STRAIGHTS.[ERI,this is as you allready understand,no attack on you,J,or Hal,just advice to a potential Sorabji,right?

By jack on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 01:19 pm:

"white"?

hey sarah!

By jack on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 01:19 pm:

"Catholic"?

By semillama on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 01:29 pm:

I believe the list was meant to show the variation rather than to present a "typical" profile.

Interesting that Vv forgot to add "witches" and such....

As for white, well, i bet a lot of us here are palefaces. All of our words are, considering the font color.

By Lapis on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 01:35 pm:

I only remember one Sorabjite being black.

Also I would like to modify the general Sorabjite religion to "agnostic".

By Nate on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 01:38 pm:

By Nate on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 01:39 pm:

and none too bright. remove the " at the end.

By semillama on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 01:40 pm:

R. C. and Swine are both black. Moonit could be a Maori, being from New Zealand.

I would like to modify the general Sorabjite religion to "suckers"

Speaking of religion, I saw "The Order" last night, which was interesting but could have been a lot better. Less Heath Ledger making out, more backstory please. The other preist should have been the main character in my opinion. And there should have been more character development of Peter Weller's character. Spider, Have you seen this one yet?

By Lapis on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 01:57 pm:

Pug is too, I believe.

By Czarina on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 02:26 pm:

I'm not overweight.

By Spider on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 02:35 pm:

No, I haven't, Sem....do you recommend it?

Let's see:

slightly overweight - yep

white - yes

Catholic - yeah

vodka drinking - not regularly, but sure

mad - I think

American - mmm-hmmm

European - yes; I've even got the Italian passport to prove it

Eastern European - no, but my ancestors were ethnic Germans living in Russia...does that count?

Canadian - no, but I think they're nice people

New Zealand - this is a noun and not an adjective, but I'll say "see 'Canadian'"

way out radical dudes - uh, not really

DIRE STRAITS - oh, good heavens, no

By Czarina on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 02:42 pm:

Somebody once told me that Droopy was black. But I don't know.

By agatha on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 03:11 pm:

Nope. He is a cutie, though. He's pink.

By V.v. on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 03:14 pm:

KEBRON,if your still out there,you see the kinda flack i go through?even from GOOD Sorabjis?Tell ya Bro,you need a powerfull personality to survive this assault course,myself,im indistructable,no one is going to mess with me.You need to be the same.Give me your caracter profile and ill help you out,WHAT are you and WHERE are you?You get back to me real soon bro.Make a friend of HAL,he is a real good guy,and most Sorabjis have less regard for him than than they should.

By Nate on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 03:19 pm:

there are no good sorabjiites. only bad and worse.

By Nate on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 03:20 pm:

and there is only one Sorabji.

we are but His sheep.

His lost, drunken, foulmouthed sheep.

By V.v. on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 03:31 pm:

SPIDER,if you dont like Dire Straits,your an ass hole.So what the hell do YOU play on the way to work?Look,just consider,ive made made about ten million bucks from [in part]listening to Dire Straits on the way to work,what inspires YOU?[AND IT BETTER BE GOOD]

By Spider on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 03:38 pm:

I'm not an asshole, but I think Dire Straits are for assholes. How have you made money off of Dire Straits?

I'm inspired by Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, Nick Drake, Nick Cave, Stevie Nicks (shut up, man), Leonard Cohen, Philip Glass, Bjork, David Eugene Edwards, and PJ Harvey. Everyone else is just meat.

By patrick on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 03:46 pm:

you can't dis Dire Straits and then profess influence by Steve Nicks dude. Thats just weird.

By Spider on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 03:53 pm:

I know, man, but what can I say? It's true.

By semillama on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 03:59 pm:

Mark Knopfler is pretty good, but he's no Adrian Smith, that's for sure.

By Spider on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 04:06 pm:

PS. Everyone's got skeletons in their musical closet. I'm just open about mine.

Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac
    James Taylor
    early Elton John

These are all things I grew up listening to as a kid, as I hung around my aunt A. That's why I like them.

By V.v. on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 04:11 pm:

NATE,Dont ever think i regard Sorabjis as lost,drunken,foulmouthed sheep,they are not,we are all wonderfull people,all over the world,i just get here to chill out after an 18 hour day.The 5 or 6 hour time zone trips me out,yet i still post my thoughts,most nights,yes im worth 10 million bucks from building and transport,so what,im no better than enyone else,i smoke 100 cigs a day,and drink one or two bottles of vodka per night,i will die in less than ten years from my bad habits,now you know more about me than any other Sorabji,do i answer your thoughts as to who i am?OR PERHAPS YOU PREFER THE LINES OF THAT OLD ROLLING STONES TRACK THAT STARTS,please allow me to introduce myself,im a man of wealth and fame.....

By V.v. on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 04:21 pm:

SEM,with the greatest respect to YOU,Mark Knopfler is the best in the world.Have you tried playing his stuff when your well over the freeway speed limit?its awesome at full volume.

By V.v. on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 04:25 pm:

p.s.mostly SULTANS OF SWING.

By V.v. on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 04:37 pm:

Spider,if your into Stevie Nicks,you cant be all bad.You remember that track YOU MAKE LOVEING FUN?Awesome man.

By Spider on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 04:41 pm:

V.v., my friend, Christine McVie sang that song. Stevie Nicks sings "Gypsy," "Gold Dust Woman," "RHIANNON," "Landslide," "Dreams," etc. etc. etc.

By kazu on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 04:41 pm:

I saw Elton John in the mall yesterday. True story. I think his partner has family in Atlanta.

By kazu on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 04:50 pm:

I'm inspired/moved by Nick Drake, Les Claypool, Bootsy Collins, Ember Swift, Gruvis Malt, Bob Marley, John Zorn, Arvo Part, Mahler's 5th Symphony, Beethoven's 9th (movements 1-3...there are some parts there that make feel as though my heart is being pulled out of my chest), Miles Davis.

There are others.

I can't think of any.

Sem, what are some of my "skeletons"?

By Spider on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 05:06 pm:

Nah nah nah....only *you* know your skeletons. These are bands or albums you're ashamed of (or feel you should be ashamed of....I, for one, love Stevie Nicks unabashedly).

By kazu on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 05:12 pm:

You shush. Sem's been through my CD collection dozens of times.

Of course, I don't actually like all the stupid albums I own. And I don't actually own all the stupid things I like.

I'm not asking for his opinion, I'm asking him to remember stuff I've told him are my stupid-song favorites.

My old friends from Lowell and I used to have stupid-song sessions in the car where we would bring a tape of stupid songs we couldn't help but love.

By semillama on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 05:22 pm:

I don't really think you have any that I can think of, no stinkers. She does like Aerosmith and Pink Floyd.

I used to own some Barenaked Ladies but I sold the albums. There's really nothing that I listen to that I feel guilty about. I will admit to thinking Linkin Park is better than most people will give them credit for, but that doesn't mean I like them at all. They have great production, at least. I do like Korn, but I don't think they're the saviours of metal or anything.

The new Iron Maiden album comes out tomorrow, speaking of metal.

This has been a great year for metal, actually. New albums by Maiden, Voivod, Killing Joke, Anthrax, Metallica. Halford rejoins Judas Preist. Lots of good new music (I just picked up the new Lacuna Coil and it's pretty awesome - makes those imitators in Evanesence look like the second-rate hacks they are).

Speaking of annoying bands that are inexplicably popular: The White Stripes. Ok, you're cute, now go away and learn to play your instruments. get off the stage and make room for someone like Thrice. I've heard one song and I like what I hear.

By Dougie on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 05:36 pm:

I heard James Taylor over the weekend on my brother's new stereo through Bose speakers. Damn that man wrote some purty music.

By V.v. on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 05:40 pm:

AROSMITH?IM WELL INTO THAT,SEM,I MOSTLY LIKED THE EYE MAKEUP,BUT IT RAN DOWN MY CHEEKS AFTER ABOUT 2 HOURS.

By patrick on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 05:48 pm:

Elton lives in Atlanta Kazu. Somewhere in Schmuckhead I believe. Were you at Lennox mall?

I have a certain weakness for gangsta rap. Unfortunately it bit me in the ass as this weekend, I raced out and bought some music for the road. Just some things I've been digging as of late, including the ColdPlay. Mindless stuff I was sure to quickly find in the used section.

I bought Snoop's latest because i've been really digging 'Beautiful' with Pharrell, but alas the rest of the album is fucking stupid. I hate that.

I also bought a Willie Nelson album. Again, just a quick trip to the used section, snagged one that had the coolest cover. I got fucked. Not only does he do a tune with Kid Rock, he does Cyndi Lauper's 'Time After Time' and I realized what I was really craving is his old shit. His real deal honkytonk outlaw shit. Not his duet with popular artists silly cover tunes crap.

So....2 out of 3 discs I got bummed me out. I abanonded my usual practice of listening to a few songs before buying.

I should have listened to my inner voice, bought some OutKast and left the Willie Nelson alone.

White Stripes are a cute garage band. They edimify everything a garage band should be. Unfortunately they are many years late, and there have been many bands that have gone unnoticed before them that have done it much better. I don't think they need to learn to play their instruments, thats a prerequisite of garage rock.

As far as other musical skeletons.....Im comfortable with what I like, i think.

By V.v. on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 06:37 pm:

Patrick,i got this sneaky idea you still like SULTANS OF SWING,BY DIRE STRAITS,and i bet you anything you would still enjoy it in a car at 90 m.p.h.on a freeway.

By Nate on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 07:32 pm:

i had a mphon a freeway the other day. smoked a line and shot up into the bone of my skull.

dire straights i righteous.

By Hal on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 07:34 pm:

V.v.: we're foulmouthed Sheep... Accept it.

I'm bright white, I don't see the sun.

By dave. on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 07:41 pm:

patrick. what the fuck is edimify?

By patrick on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 08:05 pm:

you know.

i have no fucking clue.

i thought i knew.

maybe it was one of those words i create in my dreams.

wait.

you know what.

i was meaning to use endemic.

and im not even sure thats a totally appropriate usage.

maybe i should start smoking pot again.

By Nate on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 08:47 pm:

i think he meant indemnify but doesn't actually know what it means.

By heather on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 08:52 pm:

gark

you beat me.

hey y'all

By patrick on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 08:56 pm:

YES! and YES!

but no.

i was confused, for sure.

By Lapis on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 08:57 pm:

Doot?

By kazu on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 09:11 pm:

I was at the Lennox mall. I got two new pairs of jeans, two cotton v-neck shirts, and a new zip-up hooded cardigan sweatshirt made of some neat stretchy but soft material. I also treated my monthly friend to some expensive truffles.

I bought a new alarm clock which I desperately needed only to find out that the alarm isn't loud enough and you can't adjust the volume. However, you can adjust the volume of the radio/CD which you can program to wake you up. You can also be woken to any of the four nature sounds (ocean, brook, forest, wind) which is another feature that I discovered when I got home.

I also bought a bathroom scale and my mother asked how much I weighed. She asked why it was so much. Dammit. It was just two pounds heavier than what I weighed when I saw her last spring when everyone was gushing about how slender I looked in the bridesmaid dress I was wearing. Even after I told her that I still felt bad and now feel like I should get myself down to that number (about 9 pounds).

The White Stripes annoy me. I saw Jack White a few years ago at a Yo La Tengo show in Detroit on New Years Eve. Shannon bummed a cigarette off him.

By spunky on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 11:06 pm:

FUCK YOU, YOU ASSES
    THAT IS ALL
    GOOD BYE

By jack on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 11:18 pm:

look. drama. see?

By jack on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 11:20 pm:

i just bought a new alarm clock too. it is the first one i've ever bought. i've inherited or been "gifted" with them previously.

By jack on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 11:23 pm:

so, are you going to be waking up to nature sounds, Aerosmith, or Pink Floyd? i do wonder what "forest" sounds like. crickets, maybe?

By moonit on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 06:46 am:

Have I mentioned how much I love 80s music? That's embarassing in itself. Beside my love of Guns n Roses (shut up Patrick).

By kazu on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 09:33 am:

I have my moments of stupid-song love, which what oldies and 80s stations are for, but I can't think of anything that I like as much as Spider likes Stevie Nicks.

By kazu on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 09:38 am:

I set alarm #1 to the CD player (Tool)

I set alarm #2 to the babbing brook.

Full volume.

The brook was the only thing I vaguely recall hearing this morning. I think I turned everything off before it was time for the CD.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 10:58 am:

I've got an alarm clock that has those four sounds, too. "Forest" sounds like birds chirping and leaves rustling.

I have to explain the appeal of Stevie Nicks.... It's not just because I grew up listening to her; I relate to her persona in many of her songs. "Gypsy" and "Think About It" are good examples of songs about a small person (I mean that in terms of personality....a small person as opposed to someone who can fill up a room with their personality...you know what I'm saying?) who is independent, or learning to be independent, and becoming brave. Cheesy? Maybe. Do many of her lyrics sound like bad girl-journal poetry? Yes. But I'm glad she says what she says...those messages need to be out there.

Sorta like Henry Rollins and his writing -- I feel like society needs somebody like him in it. Almost like the village idiot position...you know what I'm saying? It's a set role in society that different people can fill. We need a permanently lonely, sensitive, hardass to live that life and tell the rest of us about it, and he has sacrificed his life to be that person.

Anyway, Stevie Nicks is the person to say, "don't worry, girl...it's scary but you can do it."

Cheesy, yes, but I don't care.

By J on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 12:13 pm:

I love Stevie too,she has a house here and her family lives here.I always liked James Taylor I like folk music,love early Dylan.I always liked Queen and God help me,Def Leppard.I've said too much.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 12:24 pm:

i don't think pleasant nature sounds would do the trick for me.

hell. who needs an alarm with 25 options for getting your ass up. just get a baby, more cute and cuddly than any alarm clock.

By agatha on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 01:21 pm:

Ditto on the Stevie.

I love lots and lots of bad music, and I'm not embarrassed by it either.

Did anyone notice that they are playing Modest Mouse on a car commercial now?

By Spider on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 01:35 pm:

Yes!

By Dougie on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 02:02 pm:

This is what I'm wearing. This shit's the shit:

www.stjohnsbayrum.com

Oh, and get the lime cologne too. Makes you smell just like a lime sno-cone.

By Platypus on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 03:24 pm:

Babies are generally more expensive than alarm clocks.

I have an old fashioned one on little legs with the hammer and the two bells. It is highly effective and I never use it because I am one of those silly people who was gifted with a good internal alarm. I say "get up at seven" and I wake up at 6:50. Hooray?

Cologne/perfume confuses me. Isn't the point that no one can smell it unless they get all snuggly? Why do old ladies drench themselves in perfume so foul I can't breathe? What's going on?

By kazu on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 03:32 pm:

Babies don't come with a snooze button.

My babbling-brook on full alarm was anything but pleasant and natural sounding.

What would be a good album to put in? What track?

By semillama on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 04:59 pm:

butthole surfers. any of the early stuff.

superjoint ritual.

fantomas.

I don't think you have anything that would really wake you up though, if the tool didn't do it for you.

By TBone on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 05:11 pm:

Something annoying. Crooning country or bright, chirpy kids' songs.
    That'll get me out of bed faster than anything. Especially if the alarm clock can't be reached from bed.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 05:21 pm:

I used to set my alarm to the "alarm" -- that incredibly annoying "errrr errrr eerrrr" sound -- until I realized I was routinely waking up before the alarm out of fear of hearing that sound. Now I wake up to NPR.

I have Platypus' clockhead gift, but it's reliable as an alarm only within a half-hour or so, so I only, uh, rely on it on the weekends.

Platy, are you good at predicting when the microwave beeper is going to go off? I'm accurate within 10 seconds or less.

By kazu on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 06:23 pm:

I don't know if the Tool even went off because I think Alarm #2 (babbling brook) was the earlier alarm and I shut them both off.

Tomorrow is the real test as have a class at 9AM.

I can't put the alarm across the room. Everyone recommends that, but I'll sleep through it or I'll just hit snooze without it even registering. Sem's clock is on the otherside of the room and some mornings I just got up walked over, hit snooze and got right back into bed.

However, I might put the old alarm clock on the other side of the room. I think the variety of sounds will unnerve me enough:

Alarm #1 (babbling brook): will wake me up

Alarm #2 (very loud music): will make me sit up

Alarm #3 (beep from across the room): will get me out of bed.

waking up should never be this complicated

By semillama on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 06:47 pm:

it's because you aren't getting enough sleep. There was a time when I was living in Wisconsin and going to bed around ten, and I would wake up at 6 like clock work, usually 2 minutes before the alarm went off. This was when I had to be to work at 7.

By kazu on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 06:52 pm:

I can't remember a time when I didn't have this problem. Maybe when I was a kid but me mum woke me up then.

By TBone on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 07:40 pm:

It's (probably) two things...
    You don't get enough sleep / you don't sleep well...
    You have really bad waking-up habits. I did a few years ago. I started telling myself as I got into bed that I was not allowed to snooze or go back to bed. I had to get up at the first alarm.
    It doesn't always work, but it generally does if I say it enough times to take myself seriously.
    I can usually tell when it won't work. I'm saying "get up when the alarm goes off" but my brain is saying "fuck that."
    One of my room mates had a really evil alarm clock. It had two big buttons: One for snooze and one to make it turn off until the next morning. He called it the 24-hour snooze. His sleep-defence mechanisms developed a liking for that button.

By V.v. on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 08:02 pm:

I just found out today,if you get too much r.e.m. [dream sleep]your most likely NUTS.

By V.v. on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 08:08 pm:

YET,i find if you drink enough,you dont dream at all, just wake up feeling like SHIT.

By kazu on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 08:17 pm:

TBone, I have a history of sleep disorders. Insomnia and persistent night terrors. Real night terrors, not just bad dreams. Ask Sem. I wake up screaming and sweaty. Both have abated somewhat, but I still don't sleep well.

My waking-up habits are improving. I've been trying to get up around the same time every morning, even on the weekends, unless I don't get to bed until 2. I also have to start my pre-bedtime ritual again. My therapist suggested I start this and I was shocked at how well it worked. It involved putting all my work away, drinking some sleepy-tea, writing in my journal, maybe listening to some relaxing music. I do this for about 20-30 minutes before I go to bed and I eliminate an hour of tossing and turning trying to get to sleep.

By Platypus on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 10:28 pm:

Yes, Kazu, my doctor said I should start doing that when I was getting really awful night terrors too. It is frightening how much "good sleep habits," as she so quaintly puts it, help. That said, I sleep an awful lot, especially on my days off. When I have a day off, I sleep whenever I feel like it for however long I want to. It's an awesome system. I feel much better the next day.

I just made tempura vegetables and they were very good. I also like to just drizzle the batter into the hot oil and eat it straight, like a little savory crunchy donut. Is that wierd, or do other people do this?

By kazu on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 10:40 pm:

I love fried batter.

By TBone on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 11:02 pm:

I need to start making tempura vegetables. Is it easy?

By Platypus on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:12 am:

yes, tbone:

dish total:
    wok: 1
    cutting board: 1
    knife: 1
    dish to mix batter in: 1
    dish to mix/pour sauce in: 1
    spoon: 2 (mixing batter, sauce)
    slotted spoon thingie (or fingers, if you're brave): 1
    plate: 1 (covered with paper towels to catch grease

just mix up some batter, cut up some veggies, and go to town. Today I made: sweet potatoes, broccoli, green onions (just the green part), mushrooms, daikon, tofu, coriander, and snow peas. you can cut up as much/as little as you want (I fed people).

and it's good times.

Cooking is fun. I am thinking of starting an internet cooking show, "Cooking with the Platypus." (But only if Sarah will be a guest cook once in a while).

Right now bread is rising. Yum.

By kazu on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:23 am:

I'm getting into cooking. Can I be on your show? I cook all vegetarian/vegan recipes although I do want to learn a few fish recipes. And I use fish sauce in my thai red curry. Anyway, I started a thread about cooking and cooking accessories to share all my exciting stories.

It's on the reasons to be cheerful board.

I made my favorite tomato-lime soup tonight.

By Platypus on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 01:23 am:

recipe please?

bread is almost done, smells so good...yum.

By sarah on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 01:05 pm:

i slept an unprecedented 8-10 hours every night when i was in hawaii. death-like sleep, without the use of any drugs. it was awesome.

By sarah on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 01:10 pm:

stevie nicks and emmy lou harris should collaborate.

By sarah on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 01:21 pm:

nate, you look pretty skinny in that rendering.

By V.v. on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 02:44 pm:

Kazu,cant get into cooking,my micro wave EXPLODES and the fire department turns up saying V.V.YOU BEEN DOING THEM MICROWAVE FRY UPS AGAIN?[I HAVE AN AUTOMATIC SYSTEM THAT CALLS THE FIRE DEPARTMENT WHEN MY KITCHEN HAS TOO MUCH SMOKE]

By kazu on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 09:24 pm:

tomato-lime soup

1 15 oz can of diced tomatos (I like petit diced)
    32 oz of tomato juice
    2 tbls. olive oil
    2-3 garlic cloves minced
    1-2 tbls. cumin
    juice of one lime
    salt and pepper

tortilla chips
    shredded jack cheese* (optional)

warm oil in a medium sized pot suitable for cooking soup over medium heat. add garlic. when garlic starts to sizzle add cumin and stir and cook for about a minute. add tomatoes and tomato juice. when soup starts to get hot, add the lime juice. cook a little longer to reduce the soup a bit. add salt and pepper to taste.

to serve, either layer the chips in the bowl, spoon the soup over the chips and sprinke some cheese on the top, or do what I do and break up the chips and put them on after the cheese. or just eat it plain. it also tastes good cold and makes a good base for gazpacho.

*make sure you get the block kind and shred it yourself

By eri on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 09:15 pm:

I am currently wearing jean shorts (a size too big so that they sit on my hips well), brown cotton bikinis, white lace bra and a t-shirt from the last play I was in with the cast list on the back......any guesses as to how many times my name is on the back of this shirt?

By eri on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 12:42 am:

Oh, and Kebron.....where in the fuck are you????

By J on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 01:39 am:

I have a white cotton gown on and my hair pulled up,I have good bones,Jesus loves me.

By Kebron on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 01:50 am:

White lace bra you tease. Oh yeah I'm right here LOL

I'm wearing a t-shirt that is all

K

By eri on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 01:54 pm:

Thanks for sharing K....oh, and you only wish I would tease you :p

By Kebron on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 02:01 am:

Ok it was pointed out that I was being rude because someone asked me a question. I just need to know what the question was.

K

By eri on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 02:13 am:

I never said you were being rude. I was just pointing out your lack of a character profile :p

By Ophelia on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 02:52 pm:

damn, that soup sounds great, kazoo.

i'm wearing a red sox t-shirt. i was raised as a a red sox fan, so that i've been rooting for them since before i understood the rules of the game. i was thinking about it this morning, though, when i put this shirt on, and i realized that my loyalty to the red sox is totally intertwined with my love for my dad. he is probably the person i have more respect for than anyone else in the world, and baseball is just one of the more trivial things that he has taught me about, but i think its sort of symbolic. i think that's why i love to wear this shirt. when he's around i know he'll notice i'm wearing it (it was even a christmas present from him), and when i'm away from home it just reminds me of him.

By eri on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 11:22 pm:

I am currently wearing cotton bikinis with floweres on them, my diamond earrings and my belly ring.

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 08:19 pm:

Cuz i again have a glitch on the central heating,im wearing nothing.

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 08:22 pm:

Kebron,nice to meet you at last.

By eri on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 08:23 pm:

I am wearing a black midriff tank top, and a black wrap around skirt that sits on my hips with fringe at the bottom and big earthy flowers on it and a pair of black high heeled slides. Can't have anything on the belly right now. It hurts too much. Only I would be allergic to the medicine in the after care package and would have to go out and get sea salt to heal my belly ring.

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 08:26 pm:

AND I WILL E-MAIL YOU SOON,THANKS.

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 08:48 pm:

Eri,so what about aloe vera,?for the tum button.My self i dont feel so bad about being a bit over weight,as the people who live in England are the most overweight in Europe.i like to stand next to my friend BIG ERIC,HES LIKE jABBA THE HUT,and makes me look real skinny.p.s.Big ERIC is 33 stone,bet none of you got bigger friends than me,or have you?

By semillama on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 10:47 am:

33 stone = 462 pounds.

I sure don't have any friends that big.

By eri on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 11:32 am:

I dunno. Kebron and I know some people that are about that size, though. Though they are more of social acquaintences than friends.

I have also had family members that big. Though most of them have passed away by now. Only one left and last time I saw her she was about 420 lbs. Hopefully she finally stopped gaining weight cuz she is only 5'2".

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact