tonight, tomorrow and monday

sorabji.com: What are you wearing?: tonight, tomorrow and monday
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By lapis on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 05:16 pm:

it's been nearly twenty-four years since m last confession.

i love halloween. i love spooky music, costume parties and candy. i like making a mess while attacking a squash with sharp knives. i like dancing around a room with a ridiculous getup.

last night i got off work at 11pm and dressed in a half-hearted strawberry shortcake costume. no hat, no freckles, wrong shirt but i had the correct tights. i went and sat with the fellow* on the curb for half an hour (cold concrete directly underneath my ass) before riding north.

tonight i am hosting a halloween party with my housemates. planning to dress up as an opera singer, backstage with sheet music and a bathrobe.

after that, i'm not sure what i'm dressing up as.

so, happy halloween folks. i hope you enjoy it as much as i do, and i'd like to hear about slash see pictures of your costumes.

*the guy** i've been seeing this week. hopefully next week too, but so far i've been taking it one day at a time. i like him a lot.

**guys are generally zoobombers. i don't like using the word 'guy' much. i use dude is the person in question is in sight. man and men are words that feel weird using and i don't use the word 'boys' unless i'm talking to my girls.

By TBone on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 07:49 pm:

I'm going to be Riff Raff, but the wig I ordered was very much not the wig that arrived, and I don't think I'm going to be able to make it usable.

By Nate on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 11:03 pm:

i'm wearing a grey suit with a blue shirt and a tie. i've shaved cleanly. i am "dad".

By droopy on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 11:37 pm:

when you're in a wheelchair, your halloween choices are generally limited to dr. scott or dr. strangelove.

that's why i usually pass on halloween and celebrate el dia de los muertos. nuthin' like a party in a cemetery with sugar skulls and tequila.

ˇfiesta!

By agatha on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 01:38 am:

You could turn your wheelchair into Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! Or, the Flinstones Car with your feet hanging out of the bottom.

By platypus on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 06:23 pm:

I have my first day at my new (second) job tomorrow, so I am going to play it safe. Right now I am wearing a black tank top and some blue silk underwear, and in theory am getting ready for work at current (first) job.

Since I'm kind of sort of trying to get fired at the first job, maybe I should dress up as something utterly insane.

I hear that the guy who played Blofeld in the Bond movies had epic battles with that white cat. Apparently in many of the scenes the cat was clawing him viciously and he managed to stay remarkably calm. I'm impressed with that acting ability.

By dave. on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:16 am:

i love those massage bed face pillow doughnut things. i hate my arms when i sleep. when i go to bed, i usually start off sleeping on my back, but i can't sleep on my back for long so i usually end up sleeping on my side or stomach and the arms just fuck it all up. i like sleeping face down the most, so if i had a bed with a face doughnut, i'd probably do much better. of course, a sensory deprivation chamber would be best, but plain ol' zero gees would work, too.

that's all i got.

By lapis on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 10:15 am:

i'm dressing up as a mad scientist for work, then rosie the riveter later on.

hey droop, my housemate's girlfriend is in a chair and that doesn't stop her from dressing any way she wants. but if you think it's that limiting, turn it into a pirate ship. arrrrrr!

By droopy on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:34 pm:

actually, it has more to do with my finding a way of getting out of dressing up. keeping it "limited" to dr. scott or strangelove means all i have to do is wear a cheap suit and sunglasses or high heels and stockings (if i get drunk enough).

tonight i'm going to be playing "rocky horror" tunes and other halloween selections at a sort of a talent show at a gay bar. should be interesting.

By wisper on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 07:52 pm:

droopy you could be a roller skate.

I was Raccoon Super Mario, and went to the Halloween party of the big comic book store in Toronto. A nerd overload, a place where my costume could truly be appreciated.

Drunk chicks love mario.

By platypus on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 10:21 pm:

I saw so many floppy old man penes today.

My god.

By moonit on Tuesday, November 1, 2005 - 12:15 am:

I had no trick or treaters. Not that there's a lot in NZ anyway, but it is becoming more common. I hate that fucking scream mask.

By m on Tuesday, November 1, 2005 - 12:15 am:

oh and Platy - explain!

By platypus on Tuesday, November 1, 2005 - 01:17 am:

I work in a clothing optional spa. Floppy old man penis is an occuptional hazard. It's not really a problem, really...it's just...you know, kind of there.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 1, 2005 - 04:00 pm:

like saggy old lady tit?

By V on Tuesday, November 1, 2005 - 08:50 pm:

droopy,so good your on line,thought v lost you,I all ready lost "The Watcher" and Dodi...threads do indeed "self distruct" now and then....more stuff,v lost another friend tonight, guy from Morocco,he claims I did not tell him what I took out a fruit machine tonight,look I dont see the point in that,you play,you get the flow of a machine,you win or lose,its depends on your skill,and you need an ear like a composer.,I have,lots dont,I am no Einstien,but I am one of the few that win on fruits,one of my vices...not much else to do,cept to worry about missing my b.p. pills.As you all know,v dont sleep to well,so I tend to pass on the days junk to you guys,its the only way I can get to sleep,sorry.

By Antigone on Tuesday, November 1, 2005 - 10:38 pm:

V! You're not dead! What gives?

By droopy on Wednesday, November 2, 2005 - 12:53 am:

just found a lease renewal notice on my back door. my landlord is raising my rent by $128. maybe it's a mistake. i'll call tomorrow.

heard from my sister again. my dad really is coming to texas to "visit me". sometime in november, apparently. he only calls her, but told her he wasn't coming to see her because she didn't come to see him once (she is the only one who ever visits him at all, but she missed him once). nevertheless, he's decided to fly to austin - near my sister but 175 miles away from me. i still haven't heard one word from him and i sure as hell don't want to call him. i don't know if i want to visit him in austin and just get him out of my hair or what. i wouldn't cross a room to spend time to him, i don't see why i should drive 175 miles.

By dave. on Wednesday, November 2, 2005 - 02:56 am:

droop, i don't know shit about you and your dad's deal, but i've been driving those distances almost daily -- olympia to eugene, olympia to portland -- a few hours.

i dunno, he's your dad.

make the effort, keep expectations low, write it off if it doesn't work out. repeat.

someday, he'll be gone. forever.

good luck.

By dave. on Wednesday, November 2, 2005 - 11:00 am:

By patrick on Wednesday, November 2, 2005 - 11:08 am:

and compartmentalize compartmentalize compartmentalize.

this message brought to you by a professional compartmentalizer.

droop...while i also dont know the story, i would suggest you keep some options open. as a parent (and child) you only get one shot at it. the pain not trying is worse than the pain trying and being let down and of course there's the outside possibility of success.

By droopy on Wednesday, November 2, 2005 - 01:12 pm:

false alarm about the rent thing. turns out i got a notice meant for one velton hawthorn, mix-up with the address. started the day on a good note.

just so everyone knows, there are no deep or unresolved issues between my dad and me or any such crap. nor do i have expectations. it's just that we've always been able to live without each other.

By droopy on Wednesday, November 2, 2005 - 01:18 pm:

by the way, will i get mercury poisoning if i live on salmon croquettes for a week?

By lapis on Wednesday, November 2, 2005 - 01:39 pm:

ew.

dave, i didn't know you're in p-town all the frickin' time! you've never attempted contact! bastid.

By V on Wednesday, November 2, 2005 - 05:10 pm:

Antigone,no v is not dead,yet,...vampires,as v is called, dont die young,I just went 96 hours with out pills,my brain could have exploded at any time,it happend to one of my Grandfathers,his brain kinda burst apart,it was awesome.

By V on Wednesday, November 2, 2005 - 05:37 pm:

Droopy,my Cat,Tia (means Godess in Greek)loves salmon croqettes,and her brain has not yet exploded.,but she is only 12 weeks old,she got her anti virus injections tonight,and is not happy,she thinks i am a huge mouse,rips through skin and noses like tissue paper.,its no fun with a canine tooth up each nostril.I get that a lot.

By heather on Wednesday, November 2, 2005 - 09:36 pm:

our rent is going up $250 by january.

nice.

granted it started out cheaper than god should have allowed, but it's a pretty steep hike.

i dented my sigg bottle, now it has character.

i want cookies.

By Nate on Wednesday, November 2, 2005 - 10:05 pm:

there is a dented sigg bottle here, as well.

i am borrowing a canon 10D. and an assortment of lenses. it's like someone lending you their car, but much more breakable.

i may buy the camera. he will keep his lenses.

maybe i'll have something for the photo place later.

maybe i should post some nudies of <ahem>.

By dave. on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 12:27 am:

lapis, i'm in such a time crunch when i go down there, i don't even really have time to eat at one of the bazillion good restaurants in portland. i'm weighing 30 to 45 minutes at a decent joint vs. 5 to 10 minutes at a gas station food mart. the latter usually prevails. gimme your phone number and i'll call you if i think i'll have time to, you know, dally a bit. wink wink.

kidding. about the innuendo.

By droopy on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 01:15 am:

mickie came into the shop today with a nifty little old drop-leaf table that i think would be perfect for me - right height, folds down compact, drawers on the side. $100.

By dave. on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 02:13 am:

$100 for a table seems a bit steep.

that's like a medical equipment markup. i hate paying for stuff.

By heather on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 04:51 am:

so i really want to post pictures, but the number of views is freaking me out

By TBone on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 10:10 am:

It's mostly just us looking at them repeatedly.

But if you'd rather, I'll make them invisible to non-sorabjiites.

By droopy on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 12:53 pm:

that's a reasonable enough price for the table, all things considered. the price on the floor is $175. it wasn't brought in for me specifically, it's just a piece of stock that caught my eye. and i've never paid for a piece of furniture in my life.

i might submit a picture, who knows.

why is it that if i use the firefox "find in this page" thing once, for a while it will call it up again every time i type an apostrophe and them suddenly stop.

By TBone on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 02:16 pm:

I've had that problem. It seemed to go away when I upgraded at some point.

By V on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 04:15 pm:

droopy, in England at auction you pay $200 to $250 for a drop leaf table,is it small or big?,,,and what year and what kinda wood is it,has it got carveing or any form of inlay?,buy it,use it,then sell it on "e-bay".The English e-bay buyers pay lots for American stuff,the Japs pay hugh amounts for our stained glass windows,The americans want 50 year old roof tiles from England.I dont know why. A while back some guy sold picture frames made from an old barn in Texas,only Ł200,4 bits of wood.

By lapis on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 05:21 pm:

okee, it might have to be a bit. gmail decided to cop out again.

my computer was running really slow so i decided to end some processes taking up ram. bad idea. not even a clock.

By V on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 05:59 pm:

lapis,dump the lot,you get junk in a machine you dont even know about,your computer will all so run slow at 5 p.m. New York time,they all log on at the same moment. I get hidden junk from Romania,Cambodia and Russia,most want bank account details so that they can clone my credit card.,all they got so far is a web site for "The Marx Brothers".Dont ever put bank account details on a computer.We all get hacked,even me,and Sorabji a while back....empty the computer then re-boot.,good luck.

By lapis on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 06:04 pm:

i rebooted, deleted ipod and weatherbug programs and rebooted again. runs better than in months.

v, you're a hackers' cream dream, bad typing and all.

By V on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 06:38 pm:

...and I am tending to think more and more you are a real cool ice cream gal. :} ...you re-boot 3 days faster than me,I do that when my computer goes real slow,after 6-8 weeks.

By V on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 06:51 pm:

...a re-boot is a spring clean for your computers brain...it likes it.

By droopy on Friday, November 4, 2005 - 04:47 am:

i got the table down to $86. it's too late and i'm too full of whiskey to get into it, but i love this table.

By V on Friday, November 4, 2005 - 05:29 pm:

droopy,do you own it?...thats 200-250$ in England.You post sparse tonight... what whiskey are you drinking? v is on 2 bots of sherry,its my best drink at this moment in time,I gave up whiskey 2 years back,cuz it tastes so good,I was doing 2 pints a night...at 40% thats good bye Mr. Liver...did I tell you about my Grandfater with the exploding head? no? ...but the dawn is comeing up 3000 miles east of you and v has to get back in the coffin,you get the info on sat 5th,honest...v has been told by my Doctor to "stop work now and then",so v is chilling out for 7 days,no work,and my phones are shut down,all v can do is watch t.v.,post Sorabjis and drink lots of sherry,...bad health is such a bitch.,sometimes not.....more stuff,droopy,have you got the table?...you post disjointed tonight.even more stuff,its coffin time again you need to know about my pig,back soon,if its dark...v tends to fry in daylight.

By droopy on Friday, November 4, 2005 - 06:33 pm:

the whiskey was something called r&r rich and rare candian whiskey. after work i rolled over to the laotian connection and saw a guy in a hell's angels jacket buying. how could i not want to try it. it ain't bad. almost bought some tito's vodka - "handmade" vodka from austin, texas. as bizarre as it sounds, it's supposed to be pretty good. if texas ever finds its way into winter i'll pick up a bottle.

last night was one of my "all night sips" where i have many many well paced glasses of the good stuff deep into the night while listening to music.

i did a google image search to try find my table, but it was nowhere to be found. i can find dinner tables, occasional tables, or desks, but not the combination of all three that my table (which, yes, i now own) seems to be. i can safely place its age as one of the many late depression/wartime era pieces we're always getting into the shop - inexpensively made but built to last. one interesting little feature is the side cupboard which has, instead of shelves, several irregularly placed ledges. apparently for display, but it reminds of certain small animal cages where they climb around on ledges like that. i'm inclined to remove the door and replace the it with a frame door with mesh or chicken wire and keep lizards or mice in there. probably not, but who knows what'll happen on the next all night sip.

got an email from my sister:

"Dad will be coming to Texas. He will fly into San Antonio on the evening of the 17th of this month. I have him scheduled to play golf with Jamie [her husband] on Friday – tee time 11am. We'll take him to dinner on Friday night. I'll drive him up to the farm on Saturday (Jamie has to work) for a fun-filled day of “quality time” for the both of us to spend with him. We will have dinner at the farm then I'll take him back to Newk’s that evening so he can catch his Sunday flight back to RI."

sounds painless. it'll be worth it to get my carcass out of the city and get some hill country air.

By V on Sunday, November 6, 2005 - 03:03 pm:

droopy,hot hot dam did v have a bad night,its nov the 5th again and fireworks are going off,my cat "Tia"spent the night in my shirt,and my pet pig spent the night under the stairwell,v got 1 hours sleep...look if in your day you dont get bitten or shit on by wild animals,then you had a good day.

By V on Sunday, November 6, 2005 - 04:22 pm:

Jeez,do I wish my Father was was alive,his name ws Yorgi,his heart burst apart in ,71,the Doctors told me he can come home the next day,they took all the monitors off him,6 hours later his heart burst apart,so to this day v dont trust Doctors,not ever...stuff,Doctors are not God,sometimes they just want to save a hospital money...fuck that,I want my Dad back...for the next 5 years,in dreams I see my Dad banging on the front door saying "I just want a cup of tea"...its true...then for the next 5 years the old house was full of him,footsteps at 3 a.m.,doors open and close by themselves,then i went bust...I lost the house,that old haunted house went to people I owed money to...yet 10 years later v came back...and I am now back in biz,I do not so bad but I am no Bill Gates.,no problem,my Doctor tells me I am dead in 5 years or less...but v likes a challange,if some guy tells me I am a walking dead man,most times I get to walk on there graves,secret of life is dont ever give up,v dont.Not ever.

By V on Sunday, November 6, 2005 - 04:56 pm:

droopy,you know I talk far to much of my stupid self,what of you,and your life,v understands little of you,I dont even know if you even wish to meet your own Father,my self I give all 4 limbs if I could meet mine again...all my relations are dead.,apart from 1 Sister and 1 Brother.God be with you.

By V on Sunday, November 6, 2005 - 05:35 pm:

droopy,so sometimes I open up v too much...no matter,perhaps if we post the junk in our lives it becomes less,look v cant allways post what v thinks in his head,it wont post right,v has no reason to make people feel sad, I hope I dont.v is at some point between life and death,I may have 1 year,or 50 years to go,the conflicting views of Doctors pisses me off no end.Can you imagine my state of mind?

By V on Sunday, November 6, 2005 - 05:44 pm:

...interesting,no conversations apart from you and me tonight.

By droopy on Monday, November 7, 2005 - 12:51 am:

spent the afternoon going through a mass of old stuff in my mother's garage, mostly stuff left behind by my grandfather. had to dispose of a large rodent carcass. then she fed me chicken casserole, wine, and shaker lemon pie.

i'm not especially interested in seeing my father. but i think it would piss my sister off if i bailed on her.

By Antigone on Monday, November 7, 2005 - 10:30 pm:

I helped my dad clear out most of my grandfather's basement on Saturday. He had baskets full of rocks from the places he's been. I couldn't bear to just throw them away, so I scattered them in the back yard. (A large hill down to a creek, overgrown with ivy. No chance of a mower ever going there...) It's now a secret rock garden of his travels.

By agatha on Monday, November 7, 2005 - 11:29 pm:

It's strange to see the word "carcass" so close to the word "casserole." I hope that your visit with your dad isn't terrible, Droop. You'll probably end up enjoying yourself, maybe? Possibly?

By droopy on Monday, November 7, 2005 - 11:42 pm:

mmmmmmm, carcasserole.

By semillama on Tuesday, November 8, 2005 - 12:46 pm:

carcasonne

By droopy on Tuesday, November 8, 2005 - 02:07 pm:

what do you call it when you accept a fact about a dead body without proof?
    --carcassumption

what do you call it when one dead body helps another dead body?
    --carcassistance

what do you call it when a bunch of dead bodies get together?
    --carcassembly

what do you call it when a bunch of different dead bodies get together?
    --carcassortment

what do you call it when a bunch of dead bodies organize for one purpose?
    --carcassociation

what do you call a task to be carried out by a bunch of dead bodies?
    --carcassignment

what is it called when a bunch of dead bodies plan to attack you?
    --carcassault

what do you call a dead bodies who plan to kill you?
    --carcassasins

what else do you call dead bodies who plan to kill you?
    --carcassholes

By Karla on Tuesday, November 8, 2005 - 06:10 pm:

I think the secret rock garden was a wonderful idea. I just cleared out my Mom's house after she lived there 43 years. I had no idea what to do with her personal mementos. I boxed up her photo albums and sent some of the stuff to family members, but I still ended up pitching a lot. I felt kind of cold-hearted, but she doesn't remember any of it anymore so she won't miss it. One cool thing I did find was a matchbook from a club called "Ciro's" on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood signed on one side by Desi Arnez and the other by Lucille Ball. I'm guessing it dates back to the mid-to-late 40s. It was cool to look through her old albums and letters and learn what she was like before she was Mom.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact