Fuck is a good word.

sorabji.com: Words: Fuck is a good word.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By -oDDBALL oDD- on Thursday, August 13, 1998 - 10:56 pm:
    It swings out like a red-hot tire iron. A molten pearl. Like a scratch you can't reach. In the best usages you are left with a sore throat, or it is whispered into the ear tenderly as your chi spills into the body of another. Used too often it...you can't use it too often. Fuck this and fuck that.

The Bosnians say "fuck the sun". Phonetically pronounced something like "ye bumte soon se".

By PetRock on Friday, August 14, 1998 - 06:42 am:
    The name of a store in Quebec (and also the name of a t-shirt) is FUCK LA MODE.

Which means Fuck Fashion, I believe.

Didn't see anyone wearing one of these shirts. Or even buying one....

By Starchy on Friday, August 14, 1998 - 11:24 am:
    "fuck" is almost an exact equivalent to "screw", in definiton, usage, and connotation. Why is only one of them considered a swear?

By Sorabji on Friday, August 14, 1998 - 11:03 pm:

By Valerie on Friday, August 14, 1998 - 11:25 pm:
    Lets talk focking. this is what you do on a one night stand or when you've had to much to drink and go home with the one closest to the door. It is also what can happen to you if you don't watch your back. Being focked thisway is not as much fun.

By
The Godess on Tuesday, August 18, 1998 - 08:20 pm:

Fuck is just fun to say. Its just a great sounding word and I am very annoyed by the fact that its considered socially unacceptable --Personally, I find no reason why this perfectly fantastic word has gotten such a bad rap - however, now that i think of it - if it wasn't considered inappropriate in most situations - i wouldn't like it as much as i do

By Antigone on Wednesday, August 19, 1998 - 12:49 am:

Good point. For those of us fucktillious enough to use it, it's a great tool simply because it's so fucking repulsive to most people.

I can't remember the exact word, but in German there's a word that has no meaning, it just emphasizes the word after it. Fuck serves this purpose in English, mainly because the "moral majority" finds it so fucking offensive.

By Markus on Wednesday, August 19, 1998 - 11:36 am:

There's no exact equivalent, but several interjections serve a similar purpose in Krautish. For example, "ja", "aber", and "doch" can all function as emphasis words, depending on usage.

By The Goddess on Wednesday, August 19, 1998 - 08:33 pm:

Well, personally - I think Fuck should be the universal word for emphatic speech. Actaully, I'm pretty sure it is well-known - considering i was engaged in a very heated discussion with a pig-headed Frenchman in Paris and he said "Fuck you" (the first english words i'd heard out of his mouth). It made me laugh hearing him say it - all these fluid french ramblings and then "FUck you'"

By RachelG on Thursday, August 20, 1998 - 02:52 am:

Just a tiny footnote..the use of fuck dates back to the late 1870s..."They go not to heaven because they fuck the wives." ..

It is a good word because no word is all encompassing and expressive of a wide range of emotions...from lust to anger to hatred or just a perky ending...

By Markus on Thursday, August 20, 1998 - 06:56 pm:

My dear, it goes back a lot further than that. It entered Middle English from the German fricken, "to rub". (The decline of usage of the OED is one more indicator of the decline of civilation.)

And I would be interested to learn the source of your quote. I was under the impression that wife-fucking was the ONLY type acceptable to interested parties dealing with heavenly admission requirements.

By Markus on Thursday, August 20, 1998 - 06:59 pm:

My dear, it goes back a lot further than that. It entered Middle English from the German fricken, "to rub". (The decline in usage of the OED is one more indicator of the decline of civilization.)

And I would be interested to learn the source of your quote. I was under the impression that wife-fucking was the ONLY type acceptable to interested parties dealing with heavenly admission requirements.

By Markus on Friday, August 21, 1998 - 02:40 pm:

Fuck.

Hate when that happens. Also, wouldn't want to have the younger generation going around misusing German vulgarisms due to a typo: that infinitive should read "ficken".

Fruck.

By Genius girl on Friday, December 4, 1998 - 11:13 pm:

Fuck is actually an abrevation.

Farticated
    Use of
    Cardnial
    Knowledge

By R.C. on Saturday, December 5, 1998 - 10:31 pm:

Shdn't that be 'carnal' knowledge, dear?

By Sheila on Sunday, December 6, 1998 - 12:48 am:

or perhaps 'carnival'?

By Mel on Sunday, December 6, 1998 - 12:57 am:

carnivorous.

I hunger for farticated knowledge.

By R.C. on Sunday, December 6, 1998 - 12:59 am:

LOL! Hey Sheila! How's yr menagerie? And be careful chasing after that black duck. 'Tis early in the season & the ice may not be strong enuf to support you.

By Nate on Monday, December 7, 1998 - 01:22 pm:

Van Halen tells me it is

For
    Unlawful
    Carnal
    Knowledge

Eddie, like Joni Mitchel, don't lie.

By Me............. on Monday, December 7, 1998 - 01:28 pm:

No, but I bet Valerie does, sometimes.....

By MoonUNit on Monday, December 7, 1998 - 07:19 pm:

Yet ma in Thai means Go Fuck your Mother, and apparently it is the worst thing you can possibly say to someone.

By Mel on Monday, December 7, 1998 - 07:49 pm:

I once read in a magazine that, in certain cultures in Africa, oedipal stuff like the above isn't considered offensive. It's considered so preposterous that they just disregard it. However, it is considered very offensive if you say a man has sex his own wife. It's much too private.

By NZAngel on Thursday, December 10, 1998 - 12:08 am:

Finally my stupid browser will let me add a message, and I can't think of a funking thing to say!

Oh, but my new job is very cool - lots of nice people to work with, but I am undergoing information overload with all the new stuff I have to learn.

And my work is only 5 min walk from home, and they have a swimming pool I can use after hours!

By Me......... on Thursday, December 10, 1998 - 09:38 am:

Hey, missed you, NZ Angel..........Welcome back !
    The new job sounds COOL !

By MoonUnit on Saturday, December 12, 1998 - 03:54 am:

oh man...wish my job had a swimmin pool *jealous*

By NZAngel on Tuesday, December 15, 1998 - 03:41 am:

I haven't figured out where to get a key yet, but this summer, I am only a short walk from the pool!

I tried out buying groceries from the self service area last night - everything at cost, and charged to my account, to be paid automatically next time I get paid! Very cool.

It's great to be back, even if it is a little more intermittent!

By Me............ on Tuesday, December 15, 1998 - 02:06 pm:

Damn, that sounds like a REALLY cool job-any openings ????

By Moon on Saturday, December 19, 1998 - 01:22 am:

Yeah NZ Angel keep your ear out for me *sad* Our work is blah at the mo

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact