Meaningless!

sorabji.com: Words: Meaningless!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By SheWeazel on Tuesday, October 6, 1998 - 01:01 pm:

Have you ever realized that the entire Human Rade depends on language? There is always the buzzing and humming of conversation wherever we go! BUT! Have you not also noticed how teenage girls go around and say, "Love ya, sweety!" to their friend's at school (girls) and turn around with a smirk thinking, "...but only cuz you drive me everywhere." The word "Love" means NOTHING! I tell my fiance that I love him and I am saying nothing. "Actions are worth a thousand words." How can you show someone, or tell them the depth of your emotions, how your soul is tantilized by their presence? you can't make someone feel what you do emotionally, and it is so frustrating! There isn't any depth in the word Love. THere is no depth in the word Hate. They are overused, and as a result, I and others am stuck here attempting to share an experience that years ago the word "Love" was deep and moving enough to have an effect on the soul itself. What do you think?

By sshhh on Tuesday, October 6, 1998 - 02:21 pm:

Say nothing.

Hold me.

By Asia on Tuesday, October 6, 1998 - 03:09 pm:

hmm. here's a thing i always wondered. people use the expression 'i know it by heart'. can we ever know a person by heart, or does the expression apply only to things? how much would you have to know to know a person by heart?

By El corazon on Tuesday, October 6, 1998 - 04:39 pm:

I think that knowing something "by heart" meant to memorize, learn by rote, like learning a poem or multiplication tables. Maybe it had something to with the beat of the heart. Or that you learn it so well that you don't even have to think about it anymore, you just know. It's part of your emotional being (heart) instead of your intellectual one (head). I've never heard anyone say "I know a person by heart", though.

By MoonUnit on Tuesday, October 6, 1998 - 08:42 pm:

I don't think you can know someone by heart...knowing their every feeling or reaction to situations... would get kinda boring after a while and all the 'mystery' would go woosh out the relationship window

By NZAngel on Tuesday, October 6, 1998 - 08:49 pm:

That is so true. I think it is vital to have interests outside the relationship. Something to talk about at the end of the day, to share, but not to live in each others pockets.

When you know someone well though, you get to guess their moods or what they are thinking. It's nice sometimes to be that close to someone.

By Whet on Tuesday, October 6, 1998 - 09:56 pm:

I just want when someone says they LOVE me, to really mean it. To me, the worst way to hear it is from someone running on automatic. I believe in only saying it if you mean it. Some people long to hear me say it and I never do cause I wouldn't mean it. Sometimes I have said it and meant it, when they'd rather not hear it. But it does mean something special to me every time. Very few people hear me say it though. Could be why I'm lonely sometimes. But I think actions have to go with it or again its meaningless.

By Reknball on Wednesday, October 7, 1998 - 02:17 am:

SheWeazel,
    You lost me after Human Rade?

Love,RB

By SheWeazel on Wednesday, October 7, 1998 - 12:23 pm:

Oops, i meant Human Race. i was in a typing frenzy. Hope you can catch up!!

Love,
    SW

By Spider on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 12:12 pm:

Does this sentence make grammatical sense?

"It is true that not an idea in any sermon but had been presented through an unbroken continuity of nearly a hundred years, but rarely with such zeal and fire."

By Nate on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 02:25 pm:

so nothing new was said, but boy was it said well.

it is archaic and difficult to understand. it does not feel grammatically correct, but i'm not actually sure.

it is a shitty sentence by modern measure, grammatical or not.

By Spider on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 02:50 pm:

It seems like there's a clause missing. "It is true that not an idea in any sermon but had been presented"...what. I want another verb after that. Or something. What horrible construction.

It's from "The New England Clergy and the American Revolution", by Alice Baldwin, c1928. I didn't read on to see if she was always this awkward.

By droopy on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 03:22 pm:

i would say that she meant to say "not any" or "no idea in any sermon" had been presented with such zeal and fire.

it also looks like she uses "but" in an old-timey way i still hear occasionally: like, "i knew a boy lived around here but was a fine fella."

By Nate on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 03:31 pm:

'but' meaning 'than' in this case.

it seems to be missing its subject.

By droopy on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 04:39 pm:

i was thinking that the first 'but' could've been replaced to make: 'no idea in any sermon that had been presented over the years....' possibly spider's missing clause.

the second 'but' could be right: 'the idea had been presented before through the past hundred years, but rarely with such zeal and fire.'

just from that sentence (the one spider quotes) it's hard to tell if the woman means ideas in general or one idea in particular not being presented so strongly.

but now that i see it's about the new england clergy and the american revolution, its probably one in particular. maybe its something like the moral stance for or against england - you know, the revolution was being fomented in the church.

at least it clears up the clumsy "unbroken continuity of nearly a hundred years" part for me.

but spider will have to tell me if i'm even close on the other stuff.

this is a fun game.

By Spider on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 05:14 pm:

Droopy, you are much better at this than I. I tried to re-word the sentence but couldn't determine which words were wheat and which were chaff. I think your second sentence/paragraph is closest to the intended meaning. Where was this author's editor, I wonder?

I failed to record the other sentences around this one, but I seem to recall this being the start of a paragraph. I had to catalog this book at work, and as I was flipping through, I saw that this sentence had been underlined and highlighted with stars in the margin. Maybe the stars were the polite way of indicating "WTF?!?!"

By droopy on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 12:30 pm:

when you posted that sentence, i assumed it was from a speech or sermon - something spoken that could've been mangled that way.

this morning, as i lay in bed at 5am being molested by a cat, i noticed the similarity between "not an idea in any sermon" and "not a day goes by."

the sentence haunts me.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact