drunk

sorabji.com: Words: drunk
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 03:00 am:

(from Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable)

(centenary edition)

Drunk.

Drunk as a fiddler (or) fiddler's bitch. - The fiddler at wakes, fairs, and aboard ship, used to paid in liquor for playing to the dancers.

Drunk as a lord. - Obviously the nobility of bygone days could afford to indulge in excessive drinking if they were so inclined. In the 18th and 19th centuries gross intoxication was common and many men of fashion prided themselves on the number of bottles of wine they could consume at one sitting.

Drunk as blazes. - Very drunk. Blazes here means the Devil, or Hell, etc., or, as has been suggested, it is a corruption of "blaziers", i.e. those gildsmen who took part in the feastings and revelry in honour of St. Blaiz, the patron saint of woolcombers.

Drunk as Chloe. - Chloe was the cobbler's wife of Linden Grove to whom the poet Prior was attached. She was notorious for her drinking habits.

Drunk as David's sow. - (see *Davy's sow.) there are many other common similes, such as *drunk as a coot*, *drunk as a newt*, *drunk as an owl*; Chaucer has *drunk as a mouse*, Massinger *drunk as a beggar*.

Drunkard's cloak. - A tub with holes for the arms to pass through, used in the 17th century for drunkards and scolds by way of punishment.

Drunken Parliament, The. - The Parliament assembled at Edinburgh, January 1661, of which Burnet says the members "were almost perpetually drunk".

(and then)

Davy's sow. Drunk as Davy's sow. - According to Grose (Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue), one David Lloyd, a Welshman who kept an ale-house at Hereford, had a sow with six legs, which was an object of great curiosity. One day David's wife, having indulged too freely, lay down in the sty to sleep, and company came in to see the sow. David led them to the sty saying as usual, "There is a sow for you! Did you ever see the like?" One of the vistors replied, "Well, it is the drunkenist sow I ever beheld." Whence the woman was ever after called "Davy's sow".

cuidado.

By J on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 03:06 am:

Droopy,ya drunk?So is Czarina and I,hope you didnt get offened by my asshole from EL Paso song.

By droopy on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 03:15 am:

hell yes i'm drunk. i'm posting because i know i won't be able to sleep.

where's the asshole from el paso song?

'cause i'd like to hear it or see it or whatever.

By J on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 03:42 am:

Look under messages from the last 3 days under worst music,last thread,bet you heard it before.The Recliners are from Texas.

By Even more drunk J on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 03:57 am:

Ooops,next to last thread,to the tune of Oakee from Muscogee

By dorrpy on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 04:05 am:

i found it.

i'm a focused drunk.

i need love love to ease my mind.

as a matter of fact.

love don't come easy. it's a matter of give and take.

love sucks.

By J on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 04:12 am:

I hardly think that song is about love hon,got something you want to talk about?I,m still wired.

By drppoy on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 04:22 am:

not about lovel. i'm listening to this late-night radio show from dallas that plays a lot of redneck punk. i was listening to a punk version of "you can't hurry love."

you know - diana ross.

?

the supremes.

lubbock sukcs.

By J on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 04:41 am:

Oh I loved them,when I was just a little kid,I did a badass belt out of Baby Love.

By R.C. on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 04:44 am:

Redneck Punk?

Who invented that shit?

And I spent a week in Lubbock once. It is a "Weed' if ever there was one. Move yr ass to Asutin, Droop! Or Corpus Christi/ifyou like the beach.

By droopy on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 04:51 am:

i invented redneck punk to mean punk-type music from the south. i'm not in lubbock; i'm just drunkenly repeating something.

By R.C. on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 05:11 am:

Thank goodness! No one shd have to live in Lubbock.

By R.C. on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 05:12 am:

And thanks for the 'drunk' etymology. I esp. liked "Drunk as Davy's sow".

By J on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 06:24 am:

Think rock-billy....I remember El Paso town....Where none of the white chicks ever got down....And the choice was a drive-in or some Jarez whore....So let,s roll on rock to the drive-in theater and if you don,t know her you can,t meat her....Dry humping in the back of the 55 Ford Dry humping in the back of the of a Ford....Working on my sweet reward....My seat,s too small,my ankles,sprained....My wad is shot,my pants are stained....From dry humping in the back of a 55 Ford So get you a car that you can dive in....And head on out to the Fiesta Drive In-don,t fret if the movie is a bore....You have a date,she,s hot and pretty....Even when you,re only gonna get bare titty....You can do it all night in a 55 Ford Dry humping in the back of a Ford....Working on my sweet reward....This ain,t no time to think or linger....When I got to get me some of that good stink finger....Dry humping in a 55 Ford Why back when the movies were clean....There weren,t no point in watching the screen....So you grabbed your date and dropped down to the floor.... But now they show them hard and soft....So you and your girlfriend can both get off....Watching other people humping in a 55 Ford.... Dry humping in the back of a Ford....Working on my sweet reward....You won,t get pregnant,do not fear....I say unhooking her tiny brassiere....Dry humping in the back of a 55 Ford.... Dry humping in the back of a Ford....Working on my sweet reward....I got my Trojan lubricated....In case she wants to go all the way....'stead of dry humping in the back of a 55 Ford

By Markus on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 09:27 am:

Brewer's rocks, but it doesn't come cheap. Check out Skeat's next.

By Markus on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 10:10 am:

By J on Tuesday, January 11, 2000 - 11:34 am:

What does this mean?

By Markus on Tuesday, January 11, 2000 - 01:19 pm:

"He read Skeat's Etymological Dictionary by the hour and his mind, which had from the first been only too submissive to the infant sense of wonder, was often hypnotized by the most commonplace conversation. People seemed to him strangely ignorant of the value of the words they used so glibly."

-- James Joyce, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

By Nate on Tuesday, January 11, 2000 - 03:25 pm:

that shit gives me a boner.

wanna see?

now -that's- a boner.

By Patrick on Tuesday, January 11, 2000 - 03:34 pm:

no no no......let me show you....

see?

now THATS a boner.......!!!!!

no.

i don't want to swordfight

(i read mark's Boner story yesterday, god damn thats funny)

By semillama on Tuesday, January 11, 2000 - 07:20 pm:

no no,

(places a large jar on the table)

THAT'S a boner!

By Nate on Tuesday, January 11, 2000 - 07:57 pm:

oh my.

By R.C. on Tuesday, January 11, 2000 - 09:01 pm:

*Yawn!*

Where's the photographic evidence of these boners?

By etta mology on Tuesday, January 11, 2000 - 10:48 pm:

"Brewer's Big Bone"

Bone. - Old thieves slang for "good", "excellent". From the Fr. _bon_. The lozenge-shaped mark chalked by tramps on the walls of houses where they have been well received is known among the fraternity as a "bone".
    *Also slang for dice and counters used at cards; and the man who plays the clappers or bones in a Negro ministrel show is known as "Uncle Bones".
    *A huge Sorabjite erection.

Bone, To. - To filch, as, _I boned it_. Shakespeare (Henry VI, Pt. II, I, iii) says, "By these ten bones, my lord," meaning the fingers and calls the ten fingers "pickers and stealers" (Hamlet, III, ii). So "to bone" may mean to finger, that is, "to pick and steal".
    *Other suggested explanations are that it is in allusion to the way a dog makes off with a bone or that it is a corruption of the slang bonnet.
    "You thought that I was buried deep
    Quite decent-like and chary
    But from her grave in Mary-bone
    They've come and boned your Mary!"
    -Hood _Mary's Ghost_
    *Or, to jam a big Sorabjite cock up someone's ass.

A bone of contention. - A disputed point; a point not yet settled. The METAPHOR is taken from two dogs fighting for a bone, or two fighting over a Sorabjite cock.

Bone-shaker. - An "antediluvian", dilapidated four-wheel cab; an old bicycle of the days before pneumatic tyres, spring saddles, etc.; any "old crock" of a vehicle.
    *Nate's traditional greeting.

Bred in the bone. - A part of one's nature. "What's bred in the bone will come out in the flesh." A natural propensity cannot be repressed.

I have a bone in my leg. - An excuse given to children for not moving from one's seat. Similarly "I have a bone in my arm", and must be excused from using it at the present.
    [ed. note - the "bone in the leg" excuse in these modern times is inadvisable as it will probably make you look like a pedophile.]

I have a bone in my throat. - I cannot talk; I cannot answer your question because I have a huge Sorabjite prick rammed down my esophagus.

One end is sure to be bone. - It won't come up to expectation; it is a sorabjite penis.

To give one a bone to pick. - To throw a sop to CEREBUS; to give a lucrative appointment to a troublesome opponent to silence him, or to a colleague who is for any reason an embarrassment. It is used in political life, by removing members of the Commons to the Lords by gift of a peerage or by giving appointments in the colonies, in nationalized industries, etc.

To have a bone to pick with someone. - to have an unpleasant matter to discuss and settle. This is another allusion from the kennel. Two dogs and one bone invariably forms an excellent basis for a fight.

To make no bones about the matter. - To do it, say it, etc., without hesitation or scruple; to offer no opposition, present no difficulty. Dice are called bones and the Fr. _flatter le de_ (to slide the dice, to soften a thing down) is the opposite of our expression. To make no bones of a thing is not to "make much of" or coax the dice in order to show favour. Hence _without more bones_, without futher scruple or objection.

To point a bone at (Austr.). - To place a death curse on someone. In an Australian aboriginal ceremony a small sharp bone was pointed at the person to whom ill was wished while the cursed was uttered.
    *To see Nate, Patrick, or Semillama and have an erection in their direction.

By R.C. on Tuesday, January 11, 2000 - 11:46 pm:

hehehehe... Thanks, Etta.

(But I'm STILL waiting for the photos!)

By droopy on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 01:28 am:

not pictures!
    no.
    it would destroy
    the beautiful illusion.

for, when i think
    of sorabji men,
    i think of a bunch of
    big,
    huge,
    pricks.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 11:16 am:

ha!

By R.C. on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 05:54 pm:

So do I. I imagine them all in loincloths w/their huge boners poking out in front of them/walking around w/trays of Margaritas for all us Sorabji women.

Their cocks as so big & hard that they rest the serving trays right on their dicks. Like when guys say a woman has an "ass that you cd sit a glass of water on".

Good grief -- I gotta get outta here!

By Patrick on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 05:59 pm:

god this is weird...

......i can rest a towel o....ahhhhhhhhhhhhh nevermind

By droopy on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 06:18 pm:

By Nate on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 07:14 pm:

that's just fucking odd.

By Patrick on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 07:41 pm:

...and those birds have sharp claws too.....damn!

By agatha on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 07:58 pm:

i don't even want to think about what brought about that shot. i can't comprehend.

By R.C. on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 07:59 pm:

(screaming in a fit of hysterical laughter!)

NATE! Izzat you & yr bird!

Who-HOOO! You're a braver man than I thought!

(Y'know/I think it's against the law to do stuff like that w/yr pets.)

DroopyyouareSOBad! However did you find that picture?

By J on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 08:28 pm:

He,s very focused,Droopy is.

By Nate on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 11:11 am:

no, my bird is much smaller.

By J on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 12:46 pm:

I can,t help myself....you say you have a little pecker?

By Nate on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 01:10 pm:

oh my.

By Gee on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 01:35 am:

heeheehee!

By Isolde on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 01:27 pm:

*snickers*

By J on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 03:54 pm:

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal labotomy. Tom Waits

By eri on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 06:20 pm:

J~ are you sure that was Tom Waits? I heard it growing up, all of the time. My Grandfather was famous for saying that, along with "Betcha can't bend my wrist" to all of the young studs trying to challenge the old man. Of course, the young ones didn't know that his wrist bones were fused together from an injury while building the Surveyor(sp?) and couldn't be moved. I always loved it, though. I am totally ready for a bottle in front of me.

By J on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 02:59 am:

I don't have a bottle but I have a 32 oz cup full of fun,maybe you are right Eri, I just never heard it before,and I'm older than you,but srcoll down abit here,it's where I saw it Http://burp.org/quotes.htm

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact