puny words

sorabji.com: Words: puny words
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By dbone on Saturday, August 26, 2000 - 01:30 pm:

the 'poetry' and 'told god to fuck off' threads reminded me of this. it's oscar wilde.

The Doer of Good.

It was night-time, and He was alone.

and He saw afar off the walls of a round city, and went towards the city.

And when He came near He heard within the city the tread of the feet of joy, and the laughter of the mouth of gladness, and the loud noise of many lutes. and He knocked at the gate and certain of the gate-keepers opened to Him.

And He beheld a house that was of marble, and had fair pillars of marble before it. The pillars were hung with garlands, and within and without there were torches of cedar. And He entered the house.

And when He had passed through the hall of chalcedony and the hall of jasper, and reached the long hall of feasting, He saw lying on a couch of sea-purple one whose hair was crowned with red roses and whose lips were red with wine.

And He went behind and touched him on the shoulder, and said to him:

"Why do you live like this?"

And the young man turned round and recognised Him, and made answer, and said: "But I was a leper once, and you healed me. How else should I live?"

And He passed out of the house and went again into the street.

And after a little while He saw on whose face and raiment were painted and whose feet were shod with pearls. And behind her came slowly, as a hunter, a young man who wore a cloak of two colours. Now the face of the woman was as the fair face of an idol, and the eyes of the man were bright with lust.

And He followed swiftly, and touched the hand of the young man, and said to him: "Why do you look at this woman and in such wise?"

And the young man turned round and recognised Him, and said: "But I was blind once, and you gave me sight. At what else should I look?"

And He ran forward and touched the painted raiment of the woman, and said to her: "Is there no other way in which to walk save the way of sin?"

And the woman turned round and recognised him, and laughed, and said: "But you forgave me my sins, and the way is a pleasant way."

and He passed out of the city.

And when He had passed out of the city, He saw, seated by the roadside, a young man who was weeping.

And he went towards him and touched the long locks of his hair, and said to him: "Why are you weeping?"

And the young man looked up and recognised Him, and made answer: "But I was dead once, and you raised me from the dead. What else should I do but weep?"

By Tired on Saturday, August 26, 2000 - 04:41 pm:

Now that I liked. Kudos to you, and one of those granola bars if they still make them.

By Antithesis on Saturday, August 26, 2000 - 05:10 pm:

take my hands that I might reach you...
    hear my voice that I might teach you...
    but my words, like silent raindrops fell

By Isolde on Saturday, August 26, 2000 - 05:42 pm:

Indeed. *sigh* Damnit, why is it so hard sometimes to be human?

By Hal on Sunday, August 27, 2000 - 01:04 pm:

And for that which we are forgiven we will renounce in openess and shun that and those that have forgiven us...

We will make pleas' with those of evil and sin,
    We will give them our blessing to do their will,
    And they shall wreak havok among us and cause us pain at our own enticement.

And then again we will ask for forgiveness in hopes that it shall be granted to us from those who we have forsaken.

By Isolde on Sunday, August 27, 2000 - 01:27 pm:

amen.

By agatha on Sunday, August 27, 2000 - 01:52 pm:

wow. looks like it was a rough night for a lot of you.

By Isolde on Sunday, August 27, 2000 - 02:05 pm:

Yeah, it was. Something about those Saturday nights...I don't know. It was an unhappy night.

By Tired on Sunday, August 27, 2000 - 06:36 pm:

Hm, I had a super night, at least for my current stimulation junkie lifestyle. I got 3 CDs at Rasputin [something by Gearwhore (good astralwerks nihilist art techno), mellowtron by duke mushroom (hardly even stylish, artistically weak, abuse of voice samples and repetition), and to be or not to bebop a lula by fruitloop (haven't listened yet)]. Then I had exactly 1 minute before Cody's closed so I grabbed the satanic verses by salman rushdie. Back home, the bonghits, the gearwhore, and the book. I didn't want to waste my high being asleep, so I ran off to the coffee shop exactly 3 minutes before closing and got a large coffee. By the end of mellowtron I wasn't high anymore, but I was still digging the book like crazy. But by then it was 3:30 so I called it a night. I might get my computer fixed tomorrow and between that and classes, I should become more productive and hopefully more social.

By Cat on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 12:35 am:

If I should die before you do

When
    you wake up
    from death,
    you will find yourself
    in my arms,
    and
    I will be
    kissing you,
    and
    I
    will be crying.

RB

By Tired on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 01:03 am:

that was INCREDIBLE

THAT was INCREDIBLE.

Thank you for that. Let me send you a gift. You have my e-mail addy.

By Tired on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 08:27 pm:

I read it again, and it turns out I read it wrong the first time. I initially read the first line as "If you should die before I do." My interpretation was the the author wd sit there and wait by his lover until she wakes up from death, with absolute certainty that that wd happen b/c he couldn't live otherwise. Yah, that would be really nasty (& hopeless) in practice, but this is a romantic poem, & I thought it was really super that way. As it is, it's still pretty good, but not as incredible to me.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact