What are you waiting for?

sorabji.com: Words: What are you waiting for?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By sarah on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:15 pm:

You're on stage with a mic in your hand in front of a large audience. You have two minutes to answer the question.

Go.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:34 pm:

I'm waiting for a sign. I would really like the sign to be a mystically manifested hand of God descending from the clouds accompanied by a voice that says, "Go thou forth into the land of ______ and prosper in the field of ________." I'm not gifted with mysticism, though, so I will settle for an impulse, a zeal, a sustained interest in any particular topic or activity, an unignorable desire to do anything lasting and life-consuming.

I'm waiting for a rudder. I'm rudderless.

By semillama on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:37 pm:

I'm currently waiting for a co worker to come back from lunch and for my new landlord to call and tell me i can move in early.

I'm waiting for next summer.

I'm waiting for soemthing really special that will happen a little ways down the road.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 01:25 pm:

To turn this corner that I stand. For the light to change at this intersection. For traffic to clear so that I may make this inevitable turn.

Im also waiting for scan disk to finish its dirty business.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 01:26 pm:

oh, and i relinquish the remaining minute and 45 seconds so that everyone can get another drink.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 01:31 pm:

Sarah, what are you waiting for?

By J on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 02:01 pm:

If I was on stage with a mic in my hand and an audience,no question I'd be working the crowd. I always wanted to be a stand up comic.

By sarah on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 04:41 pm:

i am waiting for the excitment, the thrill, the rush of knowing something for sure. i'm waiting for that moment when everything clicks - when the reason for where i've been and where i am and the reason for why i've had every experience between there and here all makes sense.

i'm waiting for the first miracle to come out of the Human Genome Project. hopefully it will be either a natural appetite supressant or a superhuman ability to process mass quantities of chocolate without gaining weight. or a cure for cancer.

i'm waiting for a decent alternative to tampons and maxipads.

i've been waiting all my life to feel settled. to all at once be in a place personally, physically, socially, and geographically where i feel like that's where i'd be happy to live the rest of my life.

i'm waiting for a real man. someone who isn't deep in his core afraid of himself or what other people think of him. someone who hasn't been brainwashed out of his natural manhood by modern feminism. someone who is genuinely kind, highly intelligent, well-groomed, socially sophisticated. a man who knows what he wants and goes for it. but also a man who doesn't take himself or life so seriously. someone who isn't afraid to tell me when to shut up and follow. someone who knows how grab me by the back of my neck and pull my hair and fuck my brains out.

i'm waiting for the day mark thomas announces he's engaged to be married.

i'm waiting for the server software to arrive at my office.

i'm waiting to fall in love, get married, be loyal, buy a house, cook meals, have five children, and drive a minivan.

i'm waiting for the next sorabji-fest, the next margarita, my trip to hawaii, my trip to florida, and my trip to greece.

if i think of anything else, i'll let you know.

By Godot on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 06:14 pm:

I'm waiting for UPS to arrive.

By sarah on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 10:44 am:

i thought of one more this morning:

i'm waiting for droopy to come back to us.

i miss him big time.

By sarah on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 10:45 am:

also, i'm waiting for some of you lamers to take your turns in scrabble.

By Spider on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 10:52 am:

I got a letter from Droopy yesterday -- he seems to have very little regard for his own well-being. I worry. Someone needs to shake some sense into him.

I've told him I miss his absence from the electronic world, too. Maybe he'll come back soon.

By sarah on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 10:55 am:

do i need to take a drive to ft. worth?

By Spider on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 11:16 am:

I think that's a great idea.

By patrick on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 11:38 am:

waiting, after countless years, to be invited to play games.

By moonit on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 02:45 pm:

yeah what Patrick said.

I'm also waiting for the pandyr to turn up with his stuff, however the house is a bombsite and I'm not sure where we are going to put things.

I'm waiting for the toast to pop.

I'm waiting for the next 28 days to be over so the zinc supplements I have started taking kick in.

I'm waiting for this flu rundown thing I have to fuck right off.

I'm waiting to see my maori boy again.

By agatha on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 06:56 pm:

you play games, moonie! what am i, chopped liver?

patrick, i've told you five million times that i would play games with you. what am i, chopped liver?

By Platypus on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 07:55 pm:

me too, patrick!

I actually done with all the waiting. I just finished making some split pea soup with curried squash, which turned out very well, thank you.

My car just passed 200k. So I suppose I'm waiting for it to die utterly. I feel like I should do something special for it, like throw a 200k birthday or wash it or something.

By moonit on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 08:53 pm:

heh yeah Aggie we play games, but its never the scrabble. Its always that game with the black and white circles that I get my assed kicked at. Not that I would be any better at scrabble though.

Patrick/Platy : www.itsyourturn.com - my user name is moonit_nz

By Platypus on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 09:19 pm:

platypus_sorabji

By Spider on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 08:22 am:

Oh! Oh! Can I play?

By patrick on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 11:53 am:

thank you moonie.

but agatha, this is the first time ive been given the web address. i kinda needed that info.

By moonit on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 04:36 am:

No see this isnt the scrabble site. I have no clue where the scrabble site is...

Rhi, come play!

By Hal on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 08:03 pm:

Life... Just life..

By Lapis on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 09:21 pm:

Halster! Talk to me baby!

By agatha on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 11:54 pm:

the scrabble site that i play with is invite only, and i don't have the power to invite. sorry.

patrick, what's your user name on itsyourturn? how about you, spider?

By patrick on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:07 pm:

patrick-sorabji.

yeah yeah yeah. we dont want in your exclusive firly club treehouse anyway.

me and platy and moonie will stick to our checkers just fine.

By Spider on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:16 pm:

I didn't register, Agatha, cuz you have to pay. >:(

By patrick on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:29 pm:

no you dont.

By Spider on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:48 pm:

Oops, didn't see the "you don't need to pay to play" message on the membership page. I'll let you know what my name is when I create one.

By Spider on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:50 pm:

Ok, it's spider_sorabji. What should we play? There's no scrabble. :~(

By Czarina on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:53 pm:

I don't think I care for that attitude little mister.

I'll play with you,too.

By Platypus on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 02:58 pm:

We're all playing that wierd game with the black and white round things.

By agatha on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 03:47 pm:

Believe me, I would play scrabble with you in a heartbeat. Email Mark and see if you can get him to respond.

By Spider on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 03:59 pm:

Hey, I looked for you guys and didn't find you. What gives?

By patrick on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 04:00 pm:

"patrick-sorabji" ???

spider....you gotta try again. first you thought it was a pay site....

By Spider on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 04:08 pm:

By patrick on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 04:14 pm:

what is your name?

By Spider on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 04:35 pm:

spider_sorabji

By Platypus on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 05:27 pm:

I want to play scrabble too. Hell and damnation.

By Gee on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 03:09 am:

CREEPING SURREALISM is the general fear, brought about by manipulation of narrative and public discourse, that "nothing is real anymore". this was characterized by Joel Achenbach.

yeah!

By Czarina on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 10:13 am:

Back to the original content of this thread.
    "What are you waiting for?"

I'm waiting to feel better emotionally.I couldn't write about this before,because it was too upsetting. But now I think I'm ready.

I had to put my old dog to sleep this past Satuarday. It was really hard.

She was 17. She was a Viszula. Her name was Saba.Buth we called her "Tooth".

She had been deaf for several years. But we would still call her.

She'd been really healthy,untill about a month and a half ago,still running and playing. Kind of a bitch dog. Didn't take any crap off off the other pets. She was the top dog.

When she got sick,she went down fast. Fot the last week of her life, she couldn't stand up. I tended her,like I would a beloved grandmother. Brought her food and water,and cleaned up after her,because she couldn't get up and go outside any more.[this bothered her,I could tell she was embarrassed]

It was congestive heart failure.She became incrediably edematous. I was giving her medicines,to help relieve the symptoms,to make it easier for her to breathe,so she could be more comfortable. I just wanted her to die peacefully at home.

My vet had had surgery himself,and had been out of the office for the last week. Satuarday was his first day back.

It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. To make that call. "Jim,I have to bring my old dog in,and have her put to sleep."

I was hysterical.Crying,but trying not to. He saw us first.He tried to comfort me,"Leslie,17 is really old for a big dog.We hardly even see little dogs that old."

At one point,I screamed at everyone,"Stop it,you're scaring her!" How crazy is that? I'm there to kill a beloved friend,and I'm yelling at them.

The killer potion has to be injected into a vein,and because she was so swollen,he was having a hard time finding a vein.She was trying to bite,because it was hurting,and they had to hold her head down.Thats when I yelled.

He said,"Thats really weird,its usually instantanious,but she's fighting it. She's still breathing." Then he took his stethascope,and listened,and said,"She's gone."

I didn't think it would be like that. I wish it hadn't. I wanted it to just be peaceful.I didn't want her scared.

We brought her home,and buried her with her Winnie-the-Pooh toy.She loved that toy. She wouldn't let the other dogs play with it. Ever.

I am fighting with myself,thinking that I did the right/humane thing,to put her out of her suffering.But half the time I feel like it was really shitty,to take an old friend and have her killed.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 10:26 am:

I'm so sorry you had to go through that, Czarina. If you were here, I'd hug you.

By agatha on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 11:55 am:

You definitely did the right thing. Seventeen is absolutely ancient for a Viszla, and it sounds like she had a great life up until that last week. It's terrible to be put in the position of having to make that decision, but it sounds like she was suffering. My friend recently had to put her border collie to sleep, he had cancer all over his body. I think it was one of the hardest things she has ever had to do in her life. She couldn't talk about it for months afterward.

Hang in there. When you're feeling particularly low about the whole thing, give your kids and your other pets some extra loving, and dedicate it to Saba.

By Czarina on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 03:56 pm:

Thanks guys. A hug would be good,Spider.
    Thanks Agatha,thats the hardest,wondering if i did the right thing.
    Its been rough.

By Platypus on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 07:03 pm:

you did the right thing. i hope someone is kind enough to do it to me when i get to that point...

*hug*

By sarah on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 07:34 pm:

you did the right thing Czarina. i'm sorry for you loss, very sorry. i know how awful it is to lose a family member.

By Czarina on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 09:32 am:

Thank you guys :)

By J on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 01:27 pm:

Oh hon,I'm so sorry,but you knew it was comeing,just like my cat only with all that was going on with my mother's death the week before I nevr did get a chance to do it and I feel bad about that.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact