What dialect do you use?

sorabji.com: Words: What dialect do you use?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 11:43 am:

By eri on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 12:55 pm:

It's true. Most of the way I say things are found in the New England areas. I guess I really do have a "Boston" accent.

By patrick on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 12:59 pm:

"whipping shitties" ?

id love to know where some of these phrases are used.

what the hell is an "easy course" ? I didnt understand what the question is referring too?

that was fun.

just scanning the map and results.....it appears our dialects are more alike than I thought.

Like only 3% of the respondants use the term grinder.

Surprising.

i foudn myself sticking out, southern, in a few spots.

Raining while the sun is out..."devil is beating his wife" a phrase from my grandmother. 6% of respondandts and mostly in the south.

By Spider on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 01:48 pm:

For the easy course question, I put "easy course" in the "Other" field. I think it meant an easy course in college, but I had never heard of any of the other choices, so I wasn't sure.

I thought it was interesting that some answers clearly showed a regional preference, and some were scattered all over the place.

I got tripped up by the "coupon" question. I don't know which version I use...they both sound right to me.

By Spider on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 01:54 pm:

PS. There's some sort of bias in the sample showing up, because I know that a lot of people in PA and Delaware say "Sundee," "Mondee", etc., but the map results weren't showing that. There should have been a lot of people reporting "Crayg" instead of "Cregg" in that area, too. Oh, and "crown" for "crayon."

I say "Sunday," "Crayg," and "cray-on," for what it's worth. My accent is most noticeable in the way I say my Os....they're very nasal. "Cle-ose" instead of "close," for example.

By patrick on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 02:03 pm:

do you use the word "yins" ?

By semillama on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 02:13 pm:

I was surprised by some respondants from my home area. For example, more 'you guys' than 'youse'
    of course, it often is 'youse guys'. I had no idea about easy course either.

I thought the grandparent questions were interesting. I called my maternal grandmother 'grammy' and my paternal grandmother 'Grandma' with the 'd' nearly silent, although a lot of folks in my town used Nana for both. I called my paternal grandfather "Grandpa" with the nearly silent 'd'. I didn't know my maternal grandfather.

it was neat to see the two locii of "bubbler" versus drinking or water fountain.

By eri on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 02:14 pm:

Hayley's teachers in Kindergarten and 1st grade taught her that saying "cray-on" was wrong and that if you pronounce it as it is spelled it is pronounced "crown". It drives me absolutely nuts. I have been trying to get her to sound the word out on her own and figure it out on her own for years, but she thinks that the teachers know more than anybody. Teachers know more than God. Teachers who's education is seriously inferior to the teachers in the majority of the nation.

To top it off Micki is picking these things up from Hayley now, so even Micki is running around calling them crowns. Ugh.

By Spider on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 02:21 pm:

I hate "crowns" for "crayons," too -- it just sounds dumb. :P

I say "you guys" in informal settings, and "you" in formal settings. "Yins," I believe, is a Pittsburgh-area thing. A lot of Philly people say "youse."

I thought is was interesting that the survey allowed a choice for spelling it "grandpa" but saing "grampa" -- that's what I do regarding my mother's father. I called my mother's mother "grandma." I never knew my father's parents.

By semillama on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 02:22 pm:

"Crowns"? That's utterly ridiculous.
    how do you get that from c-r-a-y-o-n?

By moonit on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 02:37 pm:

I call it take-away.

Cause you take-away your food.

By eri on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 03:10 pm:

My thoughts exactly. How to you get "crowns" from CRAYON? Hopefully the girls will figure this one out before I lose my mind.

So many of the options on there I have NEVER heard before. I thought they were funny.

I noticed the different spellings of Grandma vs. Gramma. The thing was that I referred to my grandparents by their last names (Grandma Giggy or Grandma Groat). So that didn't really come into play for me. It was the same with my Grandfathers, too. Grandpa Giggy and Grandpa Groat.

My kids are completely different, though. My mother insists on being called Mamaw, my ex's mom is Nanny (she made sure to claim that one when I was pregnant), my mother in law is "Grandma Rocky" and my grandmother is law is "Grandma Marietta". Everyone chooses a different title. I just thought it was funny and weird how my mother and my ex's mother insisted that this got to be their title.

By Bored kev on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 06:44 pm:

CROWNS????!!!! Eri, could you explain that one? does that mean that Cray super computer co. is actually pronounced CROW?

PLease someone help me understand this. Is crow, the bird, somehow pronounced diferently? aughh
    all this confusion...........

I dont know if I can go on with out some clarification on these ..... whatever...

By Platypus on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:04 pm:

don't forget craw

the problem i had was their "example" words, because maybe we say the example words differently. it would be interesting to get sorabji-only results.

By agatha on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 08:43 pm:

I must be retarded, because I had no idea how to interpret my findings. I got a big list of numbers with the letters SR in front of them, mostly. What the hell?

By semillama on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 09:37 am:

i know. I could only interpret mine by examining the country wide trends, and all I could figure out was that I had an upper midwest dialect. Well, NO SHIT.

Who says "crawfish" and who says "crayfish" btw?
    I say "cray fish"

By eri on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 09:41 am:

I say "crawfish".

By Spider on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 09:57 am:

I say crayfish.

Soon, you'll be able to see the breakdown by state, e.g., you will see how all the Missouri people answered the questions.

I think it's neat that my mother has a different accent than her sisters, and that I have a stronger accent than my brother. My best friend has one sister who has a harsh Delaware accent, though no one else in their immediate family does. This interests me.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 10:04 am:

I forgot to say: my uncle is from Ohio and he has an interesting accent -- he flips the "e" and "i" sounds around a lot, so he'll say "pin" instead of "pen" ("I wrote with a pin"), and "I'll set down" instead of "sit."

He also says "berm" for the strip of grass between the street and the sidewalk -- I've never heard anyone else use this word.

My mom had an aunt in Nebraska who'd use the phrase "pretty near" but pronounce it "pertinear," as in "It's pertinear time for supper." My mom said she was around 10 before she realized "pertinear" is not a real word. :)

By The Watcher on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 11:52 am:

eri, take a Dictionary to your kids class and ask the teacher in front of the class why her pronunciation of crown for crayon is correct when the dictionary has "kra on".

I'd like to know that one.

By patrick on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 11:53 am:

I used the word "berm" when making dirt tracks for our BMX bikes when I was a kid.

It was the term we used to describe the high dirt embankment that rounded the outter edge of a big curve allowing you to maintain speed around a curve.

i dont think you'll get "results" right away agatha, sem. I think its a works in progress.

By semillama on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 12:28 pm:

I think that separating by state is not the only way to do it. Separating it by geographic features would be more interesting. For example, look at the Coastal Plain region vs the Upland South, the Upper Great Lakes region vs the Lower great lakes, etc. Just because I know that you can't compare everyone in one state to another. People along the southern shore of Lake Superior (MI, WI, MN) sound more alike than their fellow state citizens in the southern regions of their states. In fact, I get asked if I'm Canadian a lot, because of my accent.

By kazoo on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 12:34 pm:

I haven't finished the test yet. I've been asked what happened to my boston accent, which seems to magically re-appear when I'm drunk and/or stoned. Between the snotty town highschool I went to and college, it was teased out of me. I've also been asked if english is really my first language because I mispronounce things from time to time.

By eri on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 12:37 pm:

Watcher, I would consider it if it weren't for the fact that those teachers are now 900 miles away from me and I don't feel like driving that far to show them that they are stupid.

In Missouri, your second "education" class requires you to be in field working as an assistant to an elementary school teacher. You take notes, write reports, etc all based on your observations while working with these kids. My problem with this is that I could do this after taking 1 college class (education 101) and be a complete and total idiot teaching other peoples kids crap like "crown" for "crayon". It's scary how easy it is to be an influence on children's educations without having an education yourself.

It's like the illiterate teaching our kids to read and it is ridiculous.

Fortunately I haven't run into this in Texas. You have to have a complete background check, and police records pulled and all kinds of crap before you are allowed to plan a kids birthday party in the classroom. You can't bring cupcakes to their Valentine's Day party without clearances from both the police force and the school. Idiot's can't just get in and teach here, there are at least some standards here.

I have also noticed that the teachers here don't talk down to the kids like they did in Missouri. They just talk to them, plainly, simply without being condescending.

Hayley takes her TAKS (state tests) in Language Arts next week. Here's hoping that with the crap I am still trying to remove from her head (like the whole crowns thing) she does well on the test. If she doesn't pass the test she gets held back, so she needs to work hard and do well. She got a 72 on the practice test which is only passing by two points.

By Platypus on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 02:05 pm:

crawDAD!

It was interesting. Long. But it is neat to see where people say what. We say "berm" when we're referring to the section of the beach above the high tide mark.

By moonit on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 02:14 pm:

Crayfish.

Rubbish bin.

The boys were going on about berm's the night of the hill walk. They are building a mountain bike track, and were going to make some berm's.

By Dougie on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 03:08 pm:

I'm down in the South this week, and one of the guys I'm working with says, "might could" as in "We might could do that 'n git away with it". I love it.

By semillama on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 04:12 pm:

In the U. P., people drop the various forms of the verb "to be" all the time, because it doesn't have a correlate in Finnish. They also drop prepositions and definite articles if they occur in teh middle of a sentence.
    So, instead of "I'm going to the store"
    it's "I go store"

It's a fun way to talk, I think.

By wisper on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 06:37 pm:

i used to always get mocked for the way i say "mirror".
    Most people i know say 'meer'. I say 'meer-er'.
    How do you say 'tommorow'? I say 't'mahrow'
    Toronto = 'tuhronno'

all this stuff is facinating.
    a girl in Florida called me. She had an accent. I can't describe it, it was so close to mine, but something else......
    We had these family friends when i was little. The way they talked always confused me. Bread was 'breeead' and red was 'reeead'. My parents just waved it off as "They're american. that's how americans talk."
    But that's not how the people on tv talked....
    Fucked me up for years!

i wish i could finish that study. Stupid needing to do other things....

and i don't say 'aboot'! we say 'aboat'.
    yeah.

By Dougie on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 06:47 pm:

I'm surprised that survey didn't ask about what people call a refrigerator. My grandparents called it and my parents still call it an icebox. Or what one calls a couch. My grandparents used to call it a "davenport". And what about what you call your relatives? Does anyone still say "my people" for relatives? And my grandmother used to say she had to do the "warsh" for doing laundry.

By moonit on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 07:36 pm:

Some kiwi's do the luxing for vacumming.

A davenport?

Accents on tv confuse me sometimes. If all the actors in the show are american I don't notice the accent, but if one isn't then I do. Weird.

By eri on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 10:30 pm:

Wisper, I say mirror the same way.

Trace's family says "warsh" for wash and "crick" for creek. He jokes around and talks like that sometimes as a joke, but then the kids started picking up on it. Now he doesn't do it as often.

By semillama on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 09:18 am:

Wisper - I say mirror and tomorrow the same way. But I pronounce the final 't' in Toronto.

We always called the refridgerator a "fridge"

By Spider on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 09:33 am:

Wash pronounced as "warsh" is the ugliest thing ever. My mother's psychotic best friend uses that pronunciation, and I associate it with her and other ignorant morons.

Wisper, I say "t'mahrow" too. How else can it be said? "Toomarrah"?

By Nate on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 11:17 am:

TOO mar oh.

By eri on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 12:42 pm:

I say it "too MAR oh".

We always referred to refrigerators as "the fridge". Still do.

I hate warsh and crick and other such sayings. Always thought it was a sign of being uneducated country hill folk. That drives Spunky nuts, because most of his family on his mothers side talk like that. He used to get in trouble for pronouncing the words correctly and not like that.

Hayley used to have the funniest mispronunciation. The word truck. A big red fire truck would roll down the street and you would hear Hayley say "Look mommy a fire fuck!" all excited. She did that for about 3 years before we were finally able to get her to say it correctly.

By sarah on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 01:01 pm:

in texas it's tuh MAHR ruh.

i say meer-or (mirror).

my grandparents have always used the word davenport. rarely they say sofa. never couch.

in hawaii they say things like, "You like go?" which means, "Do you want to go?" but hawaiian pidgin is just way out there. it took me a couple years understand it.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 01:03 pm:

my grandparents called the couch "set tee"

By patrick on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 01:04 pm:

as in "getcha damn feet off the set tee"

By Bigkev on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 02:11 pm:

how about "chesterfield" for couch....

toronto - "Ter-onn-ta"

wisper, how abt pronunciations for Scarborough?

By eri on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 03:34 pm:

We have always called it a couch unless it has the torture device called a bed inside and then it is called a "sleeper sofa".

If you go to Missouri they will tell you that you aren't a true Misouran if you don't say it "Miz-er-ah". Idiots. One of the colleges even has bumper stickers that say "Missou-RAH".

Also we have had arguments recently about whether you pronounce it "Poo-tang" or "Poon-tang".

By Nate on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 03:50 pm:

poooon.

By wisper on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 06:30 pm:

pooooOOOOooooon!

hmmm.
    Scarborough= "Scar-bro" or if it's me saying it= "shit", as in: "no fucking way am i going near that shit"
    I hear some people calling it "Scarberia". These people are huge tools. HUGE.

in college there was a girl from Trinidad. I LOVE how people from Trinidad talk, it's like they're always singing. So i would copy her, and she would sometimes copy me. Her version of our engligh was to draw out all the vowels, in a Valley Girl voice, and swear constantly.
    Like so:
    "Heiiii, omigawd you gieeeeeeys, lats fuckin deeeew this! lats go to the maaAAAAaaaawl! Shit!Liek yaaaAAAAAaaa!"

it was offensive as it was accurate.

By Dougie on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 06:55 pm:

I always wondered about how "I could care less" came about. "I couldn't care less" is correct, and yet the opposite, "I could care less" is recognized as the same thing as "I couldn't care less." Really, I could care less about it, but I do wonder how it came about.

By agatha on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 07:13 pm:

this woman i used to work with always said "warsh" and we lived in the state of "warshington."

grrrrrrr.

By heather on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 02:15 am:

my grandma says warsh

i have an affection

she also says davenport

By Nate on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 09:15 am:

my dad says warsh. he was born in SF and grew up within 30 miles. it doesn't make any sense at all.

By Bigkev on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 09:29 am:

i always thought that the difference was fairly insignificant. "I couldn't care less." - there is no way that I could feel less about ___________ .
    "I could care less" - I COULD care less, but whats the point?

basically meaning the same thing. I personally use the second one when Im more indifferent to the situation.

-'scar bura' was a popular pronunciation when i was there. (as was Shit, shit hole, hell hole, asshole(of the earth), etc..... 'bout the only place worse was Jane/Finch.....

By J on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 09:36 am:

Crawdad for me too,and only in the south have I heard people call soda dope.We always called the toilet the comode.

By patrick on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:33 am:

if you've ever heard James brown talk....thats essentially the kind of accent i grew up around.

my grandmother speaks just like James Brown.

By semillama on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 02:25 pm:

Does she dance like him?

By patrick on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 02:33 pm:

not sure, but i've heard she can jitterbug like nobody's business

By wisper on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 08:31 pm:

BigKev, let me tell you about the last time i went to Jane & Finch.

It was the summer, and i was meeting a friend at a McDonalds near that very intersection. (and yes, he lived around there... so yes, he is a burned out drug dealer) It was really hot, so i was sitting on the grass beside my car. I had left the windows open.
    These two women come out of the McDonalds and walk across the parking lot towards the sidewalk. They pass my car and stop. One of them looks into the open window, looks around, and tosses her half-full coffe cup into my car. Onto the driver seat. As casual as anything.
    And i wasn't in a distant field or anything. I was sitting right beside it. On my right was a garbage can, btw.

oh, it's a zany place.

By semillama on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 09:19 am:

Stuff like that wouldn't happen if you crazy canucks came to your senses and required everyone to carry guns at all times.

By wisper on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 06:18 pm:

anyhoo, now that i'm done the survey, what the hell is a 'bear claw'?
    I know it's a donut of some kind....?

...right?

By J on Saturday, March 1, 2003 - 02:03 am:

Something like it but shaped like a bear claw,all the ones I ever had, had toasted almonds in the glaze

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact