An Interview with God.

sorabji.com: Words: An Interview with God.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 08:34 am:

By Rowlf on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 08:49 am:

okay, that was interesting for a few minutes.. annoying music, but whatever...

but.. um.. this one part

"they live as if they will never die, and when they die its as though they have never lived"

...describes Christians just as much as anyone else, if not more... funny

By Spider on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 10:11 am:

The photography was beautiful, and many of the sentiments are things that people need to hear -- too many people think God is angry and punishing.

B-b-but.....God wouldn't ask, "what questions do you have for me?" He would already know. And if God is outside of time and can see past, present, and future, nothing about humanity can surprise Him.

And I don't think He would say, "all [people] can do is let themselves be loved"....the message from the Bible and the writings of the saints is that "all you can do is love." That's what the famous prayer of St. Francis of Assisi is all about: you know, "Grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console, to be understood as to understand, to be loved as to love, etc." And it doesn't make any sense to present a dichotomy between making someone love you and letting yourself be loved. Loved by whom? Obviously not the guy you're demanding love from.

Anyway. It was still a nice site.

By J on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 11:45 am:

I really liked it Spunky,in fact I needed that.Thank You.

By Nate on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 12:52 pm:

i do not live in this world.

in my world jesus took satan's hand and was helped off the cross.

By trace on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 12:58 pm:

I liked it

By semillama on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 01:18 pm:

THat's what they asked?

Pretty much a waste of an interview.

I would've asked God what It thought about landmines, famine, and deforestation. That would be more interesting.

By spunky on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 01:50 pm:

how about aids, and the ever popular "God's will"?

By semillama on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 02:02 pm:

Yeah, that's one I'dd ask about.

By dave. on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 02:07 pm:

i'd punch "him" square on the nose. maybe more than once.

By Spider on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 02:08 pm:

God doesn't have a nose.

Dave, maybe you should become a Gnostic. They believe that the god who created this world is evil and blind.

By spunky on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 02:25 pm:

I don't beleive that it is blind or evil.
    Just not as omnipotent or omnipresent as we would be lead to beleive.
    I think maybe there was a Creator, but that the original creator does not have anything to do with what happens on this earth.

By Spider on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 02:55 pm:

That's what Thomas Jefferson believed -- God was like a clock-maker who set the wheels in motion but no longer controls the movement.

I believe that God works in this world through people, and people have wills of their own, and sometimes they act in such a way that God shines through them, and sometimes they don't. Your heart is the lantern and God is the flame, and you're responsible for keeping your panes clean.

By kazoo on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 02:57 pm:

Watching the Simpsons convinced me that I have a soul.

By semillama on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 03:01 pm:

Which episode? The one where Bart sells his soul?

You should email Matt Groening with that.

By kazoo on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 03:08 pm:

Yes, that episode...combined with several other things convinced me that I have a soul and that it is nothing like what they told me about in CCD.

By sarah on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 03:20 pm:

i am angry that they are taking away my 10 p.m. airing of That 70's Show and replacing it with The Simpsons.

By Nate on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 03:24 pm:

in CCD they told me my dad was going to hell. every year. for about second grade on.

and you wonder why i'm not catholic. cruel evil, i tell you. so much for the grace of god.

By spunky on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 03:26 pm:

we get to see South Park (not that we watch that, mind you) followed by that 70's show (Red really is my hero), then Futurama.
    Really, we have the choice between futurama and the Simpons.

By kazoo on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 03:28 pm:

was it just your dad? for any particular reason?

I had a CCD teacher in the second grade who told us to treat our bodies as temples, "don't go exploring," she said.

By kazoo on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 03:30 pm:

I like That 70s Show. I've been compared to Donna. My friend Jim says that every now and then I remind him of Red.

By sarah on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 03:44 pm:

no way. it's all about Kitty. she steals the show every single episode.

it's the only laugh track sitcom to ever make me laugh aloud.

By dave. on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 03:50 pm:

i like scrubs quite a bit.

spider, i don't know what i'd be. whatever i choose would be wrong. of that, i'm certain.

some days i think it doesn't make any difference. other days i'm sure it makes all the difference.

By Spider on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 04:05 pm:

Dave, if it's any consolation, the Pope himself has said that as long as you live a good life (are kind, compassionate, forgiving, etc.), salvation is open to you, because you are following the way of Christ even if you're not aware of it. You don't have to be Catholic or Christian or even believe in God (as long as you're open to the existence of God).

Of course, being the Pope and all, he thinks it's easiest to follow Christ if you're Catholic, but it's not necessary for salvation.

By GOD on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 04:05 pm:

Dave,
    Go ahead and make my day

By Nate on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 04:22 pm:

according to the last catechism you have to be catholic to be greeted in heaven. which has more dogmatic weight? i do not know.

i do know that my dad is not catholic, and i was taught that he would have his place in hell.

so, i am not catholic.

By Spider on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 04:25 pm:

Where in the catechism does it say that?

By Spider on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 04:28 pm:

Errr...if you're not Catholic, you probably don't have the catechism, so I'll look up the issue in my copy at home tonight.

By kazoo on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 04:36 pm:

By Nate on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 04:41 pm:

ch 3, article II,

183 Faith is necessary for salvation. The Lord himself affirms: "He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned" (Mk 16:16).

By kazoo on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 04:44 pm:

I also like looking things up in the King James Database:

28The spider taketh hold with her hands, and is in kings palaces.
    OLD TESTAMENT
    ¶ THE PROVERBES.
    CHAP. XXX.

By Spider on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 04:50 pm:

Hmmmm...yes, that does contradict what the Pope said. Let me see if I can find where he made that statement...

Kazoo, is there something in particular you're worried about? You can see how many ways there are for you to go astray. :)

Once, when I was 12 or so, I looked at the list of seven deadly sins and thought that the only one I was guilty of was wrath. Now, I've got problems with all of them. The one that gives me the biggest problem is sloth.

By spunky on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 04:51 pm:

I wish I had the energy to be a sloth!!

hehe

By kazoo on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 05:05 pm:

"Now, I've got problems with all of them."

I don't believe you. I thought that "deadly" meant that participating in said sin, would have to SERIOUSLY compromise your physical/psychological/spiritual well-being.

I don't think they mean things like the occasional overindulgence of cookies is guttony, or even a constant fretting about body image is vanity...so long as these things don't inhibit your ability to work and pray and do all the things you are supposed to do, or unless they take over one's entire personality.

Am I wrong?

By kazoo on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 05:07 pm:

p.s. those examples were drawn from my own life, not anything you've said about yourself.

By semillama on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 05:23 pm:

ook ook

By Nate on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 06:05 pm:

"The spider taketh hold with her hands, and is in kings palaces."

uh.

handjob?

By wisper on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 06:23 pm:

if it's any consolation, a good christian can often be considered a good Hindu.

so nobody worry. You'll move up that reincarnation cycle yet.

By Rev Spunk on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 08:54 pm:

7 deadly sins are also called the 7 abominations.

Proverbs 6:16-19
    6:16
    These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:

6:17
    A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

6:18
    An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,

6:19
    A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

By Rev Spunk on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 08:58 pm:

By spunky on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 09:01 pm:

By Nate on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 00:41 am:

i am perverse and disgusting.

:^&*(

By Antigone on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 10:57 am:

"6:17
    ...hands that shed innocent blood..."

They'd better be careful over in Iraq.

Ah! I forgot! God's on our side.

By spunky on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 11:36 pm:

Why should anyone be careful in Iraq?
    Innocent blood has flown from there for twenty five years.

By Antigone on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 11:46 pm:

So, it's OK to perform an abomination if everyone else is doing it?

By spunky on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 11:53 pm:

Antigone,
    No. You know better then that.
    And I, for one, have problems beleiving the reports that originate from Baghdad.

Most of the "innocent, civilian casualties" are caused by Iraq itself, shooting and hanging their own civilians, and planting bombs under bridges so that they could run their "approved journalists" around to film the dead civilians.
    Not to mention the fact that most of the iraqi army is now clothed in street clothes, so how do we know that the "civilian casualties" really are innocent civilians?
    That is the coupe of this reqimes propaganda war.
    I told you, he cannot win militarily and he knows that. The next thing to do is get people in the States whipped up by civilian casulty counts

By Antigone on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 00:06 pm:

"Most of the 'innocent, civilian casualties' are caused by Iraq itself"

A sin is still a sin, regardless of volume.

But, by all means, rationalize so you can feel better. See only what feels good to you.

But you will never see reality until you stop doing that.

"And I, for one, have problems beleiving the reports that originate from Baghdad."

I have problems believing any war reporting.

By spunky on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 00:25 pm:

I am not rationalizing anything.
    Please refrain from suggesting that I in some way overlook or rationize any deaths.
    Nothing could be further from the truth

By Spider on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 00:26 pm:

I'm on a break from an all-day meeting (oh, the suffering), so I'll have to be brief.

Nate, the Pope wrote in "Crossing the Threshold of Hope" -- << The Catholic Church rejects nothing that is true and holy in these [Buddhist, Hindu, etc] religions. The Church has a high regard for their conduct and way of life, for those precepts and doctrines which, although differing on many points from that which the Church believes and propounds, often reflect a ray of that truth which enlightens all men. However, the Church proclaims, and is bound to proclaim that Christ is 'the way and the truth and the life' [Jn 14:6], in whom men must find the fullness of religious life and in whom God has reconciled everything to Himself" (Nostra Aetate 2).>>

But somewhere I am certain I read that he said that it's possible that someone could be following Christ and not knowing it (such as someone who was never introduced to Christianity), and it's not for us to say that God has not offered them salvation. I can't find that source now, but I'm pretty certain I'm not making it up....I'll look into it more when I have the chance.

Kazoo, the 7 deadly sins aren't actually sins in themselves...they're weaknesses that can lead to sin. I was exaggerating....I don't actually commit sins involving acedia, or sloth -- if I did, I wouldn't care a bit about God or my soul or anything like that, and I do, very much. I'm just rather lazy when it comes to making sacrifices or doing anything spiritually difficult.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 05:55 pm:

By Bk on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 06:37 pm:

By semillama on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 10:31 am:

well, it speaks for itself.

By eri on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 01:22 pm:

Yeah, it pretty much does. I don't give a fuck what anyone says, as long as there are tests in schools there will be prayers in schools!

By Nate on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 02:42 pm:

any woman who can whistle can give great head.

By Antigone on Saturday, May 3, 2003 - 02:23 pm:

I just saw the thing.

It should have been titled, "Interview with a Buddhist monk."

It wasn't an interview with god. How do I know? He didn't say, "Oh, and one last thing... George Bush is the shit and I told him to take down Saddam."

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact