international language

sorabji.com: Words: international language
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 06:47 pm:

Eat Hot Fuck.

Translated into the following languages and back into English:

Japanese: The Hot Fuck eat
    Chinese: Eats Hot Fuck
    French: Eat kisses it hot
    German: Eat Hot Bumsen
    Italian: It eats the warm swept one
    Korean: Eat the hot sexual intercourse
    Portugeuse: It eats the hot fuck
    Spanish: Eats the hot taken one

By Antigone on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 07:34 pm:

"Portugeuse: It eats the hot fuck"

It puts the lotion on it's skin...

By kazoo on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 07:41 pm:

tiggy gives good pop culture references

By sarah on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 12:38 pm:

oh.
    my.
    god.

silence of the lambs.

okay, that is funny as shit, because my dad and i say that line to each other all the time as a joke, when we need to get the other's attention. it makes us laugh so hard we both collapse wheezing with asthma attacks.

By Spider on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 02:31 pm:

I just wanted to share this:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~wbaxter/howhard.html

The Defense Language Institute ranked the difficulty of learning different languages for native English speakers (does this make any sense? my brain is in flames today) and came up with a little chart.

By wisper on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 07:22 pm:

one of the guys i live with is in Taiwan for the summer, teaching english like he does each year. I read his "Learn Chinese in 3 Months" book and it blows my mind. How their written language has nothing to do with their spoken ones, and tones not being used to convey emotion.

For the kids homework, they record tapes of them speaking in english and he takes them home and listens to them and grades them. Little 6 or 8 year olds with little "smurf voices" as he says. I begged him this time to bring back some of the tapes!

I ask him endless questions, like how do they learn to control their tones if they don't understand what they mean to us? How will they know to go up at the end of a question? How will they keep from sounding angry when they're not? Do they ever go crazy and just throw whatever tones they want around because they can't control it? or do they just give up and go monotone, like robots? How, damn you, HOW???
    He says no-one has time to teach the subtle tones of english.... "and so that's what tv is for. LOTS of english tv."

-----

He has to name people the whole time he's there. Almost everyone born there gets their english name from their grade-school teachers, which i think is a shame for the kids if the teacher gives them a lame one. Not that they need to keep it.

"How many kids do you name in a summer?"
    "Oh god, 50 or 60. Too many to count. That's not including the adults who want names, or the names i have to fix up."

He's gratefully accepting e-mail lists of names from people, because he runs out of ideas all the time. In my list, i'm bringing back the Shakespearean names, baby! Lots of little Titanias and Hippolitas. Why be called Sue when you can be queen of the fairies?

"What do you mean 'fix-up' names? People have bad english names?"
    "YES. Chinese allows for names that are direct things, so they think it's okay in english." (His girlfriend's name is literally- beautiful fish or Mermaid)
    "Like what?!"
    "Narc, Bic, Chocolate, Waterfall, Barbeque.... whatever sounded good to them. It's really hard to tell some guy that his name isn't Sparkplug, no matter how much he wants it to be."

so..... got names?
    i assure you, i'll send them all along.

By moonit on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 07:55 pm:

That is hilarious.

I used to be friends with a couple of Thai exchange students - they give each other nicknames that make no sense and have nothing to do with their real names.

Oh wait, thats kind of like here.

Wisper - would maori names be funny?

By Spider on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 09:52 am:

Sparkplug! Hee!

Wisper, this is fantastic!

Let's see...

Boys --

Josiah
    Eli
    Cain
    Tobias
    Lazarus
    Athanasius
    Alaric
    Osric
    Godric
    Friedrich
    Athelstane
    Cedric
    Santiago
    Archangelo
    Cicero
    Juvenal
    Octavian
    Achilles
    Rollo
    Benedict
    Dominic
    Augustine
    Ignatius
    Sebastian
    Fabian
    Alexis
    Caspian
    Basil
    Francis Xavier
    Merlin
    Carl

Girls --

Mercy
    Truth
    Patience
    Honor
    Joy
    Arabella
    Aurelia
    Allegra
    Jacinta
    Avamaria
    Annalisa
    Lucretia
    Orsina
    Chiarastella
    Stella Maris
    Oriana
    Evangelina
    Magdalena
    Immacolata
    Innocentina
    Ginevra
    Fioranna
    Clementina
    Athena
    Livia
    Agrippina
    Juliana
    Flavia
    Silvana

By BIGKev on Sunday, June 1, 2003 - 06:52 pm:

"YES. Chinese allows for names that are direct things, so they think it's okay in english."
    So whats wrong with that?

name them after veggies;

arugila
    lettuce
    legume
    etc...

or....not veggies, whatever....

nova
    quasar
    epidermis
    event horizon

weeeee this IS fun.... opens up a whole new world of baby names... now if only i was pregnant <sigh>
    but wait my sister is, I'll suggest some....

Did you ever suggest that the roomie take a book a baby names?

By wisper on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 10:30 am:

if that was something he'd do, he would have done it already. does that make sense?

he's a very strange lad.
    Obsessed with the Beatles and sports cars and records, and he kinda talks like Beavis.

i admire his....confidence. He doesn't know how to cook, but every night he's down in the kitchen, burning ground beef and filling the house with smoke, making it all up as he goes along. His answer for everything is to add a can of black beans. He puts them in everything.

He really likes making cakes and brownies, that's what i'll never forget about him. He bakes a cake at least once a week. From a box, that kind. Sometimes i have to coach him a bit, and sometimes i won't eat what he makes because "instructions? i didn't read the instructions, it's just a cake!"
    One afternoon i saw him measuring a huge amount of vegetable oil into a mixing bowl. "What the hell are you making that needs a half cup of oil?!" "Cookies!" and i grabbed the box. "There's no oil in these instructions." "I know, but it needs a half cup of butter, so i figure that it's pretty much the same thing."

the kids got balls, i'll give him that.

(the oil cookies were awful, btw)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact