Society's Ills

sorabji.com: Words: Society's Ills
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Saturday, June 7, 2003 - 11:32 am:

Once there were two students walking along a river. One of them just so happened to glance over at something floating in the river. It did not take long for him to realize that it was a baby! Without hesitation he jumped into the river to save the infant from drowning. When he jumped in he realized that there were at least ten more in his immediate area, all of them screaming and crying as they bobbed by.
    Quite naturally he started screaming to the other student. "Help! C'mon man! Get in here! Look at all of these babies! We gotta help 'em!" The other student, however, kept walking upstream, despite noticing a river full of babies, with more and more floating downstream.

For every one that the first student saved, eight passed him. There were just too many."C'mon man! Don't you have a heart?! I can't grab all of these babies alone!"

The second student replied, "I'm going upstream to find out who's throwing all of these babies in the river."

The point of this short story is to demonstrate the importance of going to the source of the problem to have a greater impact. Many people address each of society's social ailments as separate entities. Thus we find numerous organizations that target a specific poison; The solution to racism, spouse abuse, child abuse, crime, pollution, alcohol abuse, drug addiction, and other social ills is one.
    Each problem does not require its own organizations and groups to eliminate it. The solutions for all of these is one. That one, is Islam.

Source

So, how do they intend for Islam to deal with the "source of the problem"?

By Antigone on Saturday, June 7, 2003 - 06:29 pm:

Maybe they'll promote family values.

By spunky on Saturday, June 7, 2003 - 07:06 pm:

By eri on Saturday, June 7, 2003 - 09:22 pm:

Hey Tiggy....anyone ever tell you that you are a smart ass? :)

By Paul on Sunday, June 8, 2003 - 06:37 pm:

By wisper on Sunday, June 8, 2003 - 07:01 pm:

religions are so depressing.
    Islam especially, so honourable and moral, but then they just go overboard.
    They're not allowed to draw or paint, for fuck's sake. Only caligraphy and abstraction, never real live or natural things.
    That always got me down in school, that there were muslim girls all over the campus but none ever went in our wing. Poor bastards.

By eri on Sunday, June 8, 2003 - 07:35 pm:

I noticed that it said that during mentruation a woman should not be allowed to touch her navel to her knee. Hehehehe.

Anyone out there who can actually touch their navel to their knee???????

I did like that is said that she should have pleasure from foreplay before intercourse, but I thought that was common knoweldge and didn't need to be put into religious rules.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact