What's a skank, exactly?

sorabji.com: Words: What's a skank, exactly?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 04:18 pm:

I ask because I fear I may be misusing the word.

Since high school and beyond, my friends and I have used it to mean dirty, disgusting, gross, nasty, etc. However, nothing sexual is implied.

For example, a friend of mine describes her boyfriend as looking like a skank when he shows up unshaven, unwashed, and in clothes he's slept in the night before. This is acceptable usage, in my opinion.

It's come to my attention, though, that the world in general uses the word skank as a synonym for slut, or more aptly, crackwhore. Not just a woman who sleeps around but who is dirty and disease-ridden.

What do you think?

By TBone on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 04:25 pm:

Skank, in my mind, has always meant something along the lines of a trashy slut... perhaps of the prostitute variety.
    but Skankin' Pickle is a goofy SKA band.

By kazu on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 04:25 pm:

I am more familiar with the latter.

By TBone on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 04:39 pm:

from http://slangsite.com :
    skank: Dirty, nasty-looking woman--haven't had a shower forever.
    Example: Did you see the skank who just came in. The horror! The horror!
    skank: Undescribable ailment.
    Example: I must have caught some sort of skank at school. I feel like hell.
    Apparently it also means "To dance to SKA music."

By Spider on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 04:46 pm:

Hmm, yes, my usage is in line with the first example, except I use it with both sexes.

By Hal on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 03:56 pm:

a "skank" is basically a dirty "ho."

ie: more dirty then a regular "ho."

By Nate on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 04:35 pm:

take it easy. skank is how the hippie girls dance, one arm forward one arm back.

excuse me while i light my spliff.

with vigor, to ska, skanking. skankin pickle. kick your legs out, pump your arms.

i ain't got no love for them hos.

By J on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 06:00 pm:

Ska music,good times.

By moonit on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 09:04 pm:

It can also be used like so...

"I've got my skanky pants on" Think Aretha Franklin's Pink Cady video - the leather? pants with the gaps in them.

"Lets go out skanking" To go out and dirty dance and tease boys.

By Czarina on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 11:59 am:

I always think of it in the feminine. Like crack'ho's. I don't know if it can be applied to the masculine.

But we had this male patient that came into the psych hospital about a year ago, and while I was getting report on him from the day nurse,[we always describe what behaviors got the patient admitted], she tells us that one of the things he was doing,[he was not gay], was giving blow-jobs for $7.00

I blurted out "Wow,thats a bargain!!!!!!!!" You could have heard a pin drop.

I didn't know, I just always asumed that sex was more expensive than that.

They quickly informed me that the usual price was $10.00. So to cover my tracks, and not seem "sex for hire" illiterate, I spoke up in the patients defense, and said,"Yes I know, but how enterprising of him to undercut the competition by $3.00!"

I think they fell for it. I guess I don't spend enough time on the streets.

They should have reference material about these types of things, handy on the unit, so people like me don't make asses of themselves, in front of my peers. How was I to know?

FYI, that is not the only reason he was admitted, he was indeed sick. One of his behaviors was that he was saving his feces in zip-lock bags and giving it to his family, and doing other disturbing things. But I liked him.

And I do think that was a clever marketing strategy. $7.00 still sounds like a bargain to me.

I don't know if he could be catagorized as a skank or not.[but I hope he doesn't bring us any home-made treats at X-mas time, cause usually its cookies and cakes and stuff like that, but I would be suspicious of any treat that arrives in zip-lock bags from him]

By Hal on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 12:24 pm:

7 DOLLARS!?!

Fuckin A, as far as I know thats a fuckin bargain and a half. And no he wouldn't be a skank, he'd be a Cheap Man-Hooker.

By J on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 12:09 pm:

That man-whore is crazy like a fox,I miss you Czarina.

By V.v. on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 05:19 pm:

My self,i miss that Vanilla vixen,she was most likly the same kinda girl as the female mortition i used to have deep,meaningfull sex with,[on a mortuary slab,in a mortuary,]i have this thing about girls in white lab coats,with no nicks.

By V.v. on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 04:15 pm:

But regarding SKANK,its Paul Simon Afro-Music without Paul Simon,pure ethnic stuff from places like Mali,sung in the local dialect,or French or English,goes down well with lots of GANJA[what ever that may be]

By R.Y. on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 12:36 pm:

I'm 14 and every one is calling me a skank even my best friend but I still don't really get what it means.

By J on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 02:30 pm:

Ask your mom.

By Antigone on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 02:47 pm:

Ask your internet underage solicitation entrapment buddies.

By Mr. Pibb on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 03:56 pm:

Wait a minute...where in the hey is the going rate $10? Arizona somewhere? I mean, even adjusting for inflation since 2003, that's, what, $12? And is that just from man-whores, or from a woman as well? Cmon, Czarina, that's an intersting story and all, but you seriously left out the more pertinent information.

And yes, of course, "skank" has strong connotations of both sexual and female, besides the agreed upon unwashed.

Now about that rate....

By droopy on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 04:44 pm:

sucking cocks for $10 can be an easy and quick way to make money. if you're in organized prostitution, you can charge the "going rate"; but any amateur can set up a flash business at a party or club or in a schoolyard. you charge a low price because people haven't come prepared to pay a hooker - or are poor - and you charge what they are likely to have on them or be able to come up with for a quick suck. (or a rate low enough to make up for the fact that the sucker is ugly.) cocksucking is good because it takes a short period of time and can be done in volume. as long as you don't swallow.

anybody remember the fishbone song "skankin' to the beat"?

we already have a dr. pepper on the boards, so you 're not allowed to call yourself by the name of a soft drink.

By Nate on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 02:36 am:

whatever happened to fishbone?

By semillama on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:40 pm:

According to fishbone.net, they just got off a European tour and have some dates on the East Coast.

I think what happened is that alternative radio forgot about them.

By sarah on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:49 pm:

one of my favorite musical moments was seeing every musician in fishbone perform totally naked in the union at michigan state university in 1989.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 02:13 pm:

What is your point droopy?

By droopy on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 09:02 pm:

if you don't have money for tickets to a fishbone (who, as far as i can tell, are still active),

suck cocks.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 02:37 am:

No, droopy, I can't remember which band that are actually naked ,except for wearing sock to cover their cocks.

By droopy on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 02:58 am:

red hot chili peppers.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact