Pope schmope

sorabji.com: Words: Pope schmope
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 08:06 pm:

Im humbled by the world's vigil for a what I believe to be a real patron of peace.

im guilty of being a cynic, as most red-blooded Americans can be. Despite some major philosophical issues I take with the Roman Catholic faith under his leadership (let me not understate that at all), I am sure, yesterday, today and tomorrow that Pope John Paul, like many before him is a still true patron of peace on an earth being rapidly spoiled by those who mock and stain humanity under the guise of faith such as our current president and those beneath him.

His graceful, determined and dignified departure from this earth couldnt be a more stark contrast to what we have witnessed in this country, here in the last week, as a private citizen, to quote dave was made a political football much to the shame of his family, the media and the government officials who stuck their necks out.

By wisper on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 09:19 pm:

Is this your April Fools post?
    Peace is nice and all but understanding and sympathy are not his office's strong point.

His job is to uphold bigotry and willfull ignorance, and he has done so. He's the figurehead of these ideals. You're talking about a guy who would deny birth control to starving nations. Who condems homosexuality even being shown in the media. And a billion people are sworn to regard his words as law. It's not like the leader of a country and his people can decide if they agree or not. They just HAVE to listen.

Argh, I could go on forever.
    I'll sum it up: I laugh at his pain. Hard.

By Rowlfe on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 10:40 pm:

I don't just laugh at his pain, I jizzed all over it.

By kazu on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 04:32 pm:

Bishop: POPE!!!!!!! POPE!!!!!!!! It's time to put your hat on!

Pope: No, it's a stupid hat.

Just recalling my favorite Pope moments, in light of his
    passing.

By kazu on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 04:37 pm:

OR:

Bishop: POPE!!! POPE!!! Time to wear the hat!

POPE: I don't wanna wear the hat, its a stupid hat!

By Platypus on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 07:00 pm:

Bishop: POPE! The floor is not a hamper!

By Gee on Monday, April 4, 2005 - 10:24 am:

People don't have to do what the pope tells them to. People can reject their religious teachings or modify them (as many do).

he may not have been the perfect religious figure, but I think he was a few good steps in the right direction.

I'm not catholic. I'm not even religious in the slightest. but I was a little sad. I'm made sadder still by people who delight in the death of a man.

By patrick on Monday, April 4, 2005 - 12:33 pm:

no. no joke.

as i said wisper, i have major issues with tenets of policy under his tenure.

i have no problems diversing my opinions of this one man.

im also referring to a man who opposed the war in iraq, who's faith inspired billions in peace and charity. in his death, i am in awe of the faith he propigated. his papacy was socially conservative, this is true, but im respectful of the good the church does and thats what im focusing on.

sometimes i grow weary of gnawing on the negative. is that cool? i spent much of the day scowling with all the bullshit in this country to get uptight with foreign heads of state (which I believe the Pope to be as well as a religious leader).

By eri on Monday, April 4, 2005 - 03:59 pm:

My father came from a very large Roman Catholic family. We grew up in the same area. I along with two of my cousins went and graduated from the same Catholic School (St. Catherine Laboure on Redondo Beach Blvd. for those in So Cali).

The Pope was someone we knew all of our lives essentially, I was only 4 when he became Pope. Someone we watched and listened to, and often disagreed with.

Because I disagreed with him, had different beliefs on many issues than him, it didn't change the fact that I truly believed he did and said what he did based on his beliefs. He has effected the lives of millions, possibly billions. I am one of them. I respect him. I mourn him. I fear for what is to come next, and the changes it will bring.

I agree with Patrick in the facts that I can tend to be a cynic a lot of the time, and I am very weary of all of the negative in our lives. I am choosing to remember the positive in the things that he did at this point, to embrace those things, to mourn the loss of the good this Pope can bring and has brought.

He was human, like all of us, with good and bad, but in this time of loss and sadness I am choosing to remember the positive.

We all have choices, we can choose to listen and follow the Pope, or we can choose not to embrace Catholicism at all, and anywhere in between. But I do choose to remember him as a man who was genuine, who truly was a patron for peace, for charity, and who lived what he preached which is a rare enough thing in this day and age.

I know that there are those here who will think less of me for this, but remember this is part (a rather large part) of how I was raised, and therefore is a part of me. I couldn't be the woman I am today if I didn't truly mourn his loss.

By eri on Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 08:23 pm:

Hey guys, I am working again and right now it is full time........going to be very busy at Methodist Hospital, and then some at home.......Does anyone know when the Pope's funeral is going to be aired and maybe a channel? I will either be working or sleeping and would like to record it......I'm such at tard.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 11:25 pm:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact