words on cars

sorabji.com: Words: words on cars
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 01:18 pm:

Have you considered how much people advertise on their cars?

Sure, I went through the phase of putting political and socially conscious shit on my car. You know crap like "don't kill anything" or "stop hurting me" and "i recycle so i dont suck" and so on.

the entire back of my first car was covered with this shit. big surprise right. in years there after, i reduced the amount of crap to a minimum. At one point only having one band sticker(Subsonics) and a sticker for the college radio station in atlanta. these stickers were put on for equal reasons of support and aesthics. My car was black and these stickers were simple black and white. They looked nice. And besides, I was in this minimalism/duotone phase. About 2 years ago I put a homemade Johnny Cash sticker that simply had "CASH" alongside the great, famous pic of him flipping the camera lens.

But have considered all the other crap people put on their cars? A recent fad, perhaps you've seen it, are stickers of these rudimentary drawings of a family unit. I assume you buy each sticker of the 'daddy, mommy, baby, grandma, doggy, kitty' individually so you can customize it to your particular unit. i have yet to see the ballsy guy with just a 'daddy' and 'baby' or 'kid' on his rear window. If I do, I might have to talk to that guy and maybe even buy him a beer.

The aforementioned cars are no longer mine. When I got my new beater 9 months ago, I contemplated the notion of putting stickers on my car. But I haven't for a number of reasons. Mainly to do with the question of why i feel the need to share my shit to random drivers in that manner as if anyone cares or why I might have the need to designate myself as 'one of those' such one can do with a "war is not the answer' sticker we've all become familiar with now. You've clearly marked yourself as a Bush hater. There's no beating around the bush on that on.

and that leads me to why I started this thread. I saw probably one of the greatest bumper stickers this morning. It said:

"gwar is not the answer"

fucking brilliant.

So, do you have any shit on your car? What do you politics or tastes do you advertise while sitting in traffic?

By droopy on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 01:33 pm:

i have learned to love living without a car, which may be a statement in itself. (though i still dream of one day getting a burro named "cadillac" and having her pull me through town.) but on my last car i had a KNON (local community - some say pirate - ethnically & musically diverse radio station) bumper sticker and one of those darwin jesus fishes (ichthus[sp?]) - which made it kind of fun to watch the cranky bapists in the car behind me at a stop light.

By dave. on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 03:15 pm:

i have an anticon sticker on my crappy black ford courier. i got the sticker when i was ordering this hoody and this red cap for cleo.

i also had that picture nate linked to a while back, the "it's not fascism when we do it" one. printed it on photo paper and ran it through our sticker machine. unfortunately, the ink wasn't uv proof and it faded after about a week.

By lapis on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 03:50 pm:

two hotpink stenciled sprockettes stickers.

my bicycles bear nothing, though there's a frame in the yard completely covered in stickers that say "thizzle fizzle mizzle nizzle cizzle fizzle dizzle izzle tizzles nizzle." black and white, typewriter font.

if i can keep myself motivated, i plan on sewing "hypocrite" in cursive on a t-shirt.

By patrick on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 04:22 pm:

wtf is a ford courier.

By dave. on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 04:34 pm:

here's a pretty one. they're basically mazda b2000 with round headlights and ford stamped on the tailgate. i hate mine, but i covet the ones in good condition.

By patrick on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 04:45 pm:

hey nice faggy cyclist outfit dave. i always pegged you for one of those pricks in the faggy cyclist outfit.

By patrick on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 04:47 pm:

i actually came close to pulling the car over last week and committing a random act of violence against a faggy cyclist in Malibu. The guy and his fag hag were actually on a tandom bike and their outfits matched. seriously, wtf.

im not sure what it is about jerks who ride bikes who feel the need to go and sport the testical hugger garb but it inspires assault and battery.

By dave. on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 05:27 pm:

you don't really think that's me, do ya?

i don't do mangina.

By patrick on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 06:22 pm:

no cause then i'd have to come up there and kick your ass.

i just saw red at the sight of the faggy cyclist.

By spunky on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 06:53 pm:

good to see you all are still crazy, and talking about nothing still. The more things change the more they stay the same.

By TBone on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 07:12 pm:

Speaking of advertising on one's car, why do people keep their car dealer license plate frames? Sure, I left mine on for a little while because I hadn't got my plates yet. But when you get your plates, you have to take those frames off anyway.

I mean, if you really love Bob's Used Cars and want to give Bob free advertising, that's great. But I doubt that's generally the case. Most people just put them back on there. Why?

I already have a little decal on the back from the car lot, and I'm thinking of taking that off.

Bumper stickers: I have none, though my last car had a college radio sticker. My brother had several during the short time he owned a car. One said "Jesus Loves You. Everyone else thinks you're an asshole."

By platypus on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 08:00 pm:

I always think the people who leave dealer plates in are entertaining. They leave the temporary registration in the window and the dealer plates in for months. It's like "uh, yeah, I know you got that from Ken Fowler Automotive, I'm so glad you can afford a new car, fucker." I had a friend a couple of years ago who left them in for two years, before finally getting cited. And she had the real plates sitting on the back seat. She just never. put. them. in.

When I had the Ford I didn't have any stickers, because I'm not much of a sticker kind of girl. It was kind of a problem, actually, because it was so nondescript. A friend of mine bought me some vanity plates last summer, but that was the only really distinctive thing about it.

And when I bought the violator, there were some random stickers on there that I took off. (A parking permit for Oxford, and a "Drive Smart" bumper sticker, because the previous owner was a cop. Who went to Oxford. Uh. Anyway.) And then some friends of mine tagged it with a "I'm Changing the Climate, Ask Me How!" sticker, which I thought was funny, so I left it on. The combination of make of car, vanity plates, and sticker is actually quite offensive. People flip me off all the time now. It's great.

I also hate faggy cyclists, too.

By wisper on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 08:40 pm:

I have a sticker of spongebob making a stupid face, just out of a sticker machine so it's faded to almost nothing.
    Before my trunk got crunched, i was going to put one of those long rainbow bars across it, but I'll have to wait now.

My sister has a retarded collection on the back of her car. Several Kurt Cobain memorial stickers, god knows what else, and a few that might as well say "I'm a vegan since 6 months ago and therefore instantly better than you!"

By droopy on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 09:21 pm:

this isn't nothing, spunky. it's important.

i'm thinking about getting a bumper sticker for my wheelchair. i'm torn between "don't like my driving? dial 1-800-eat shit" and "give me a piece of ice!"

By Dougie on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 10:25 pm:

I saw a bumper sticker on a truck yesterday that was hauling a 30+ foot boat that said, "If you can read this, I've lost my load." (I could read it because I was stuck on the Cross Bronx going 2 MPH.) I thought that was very funny.

Yeah, and screw the free adverts for car dealers on the license plate frames. Those have always come off first thing when I pull in the driveway with a new car.

No bumper stickers for me. Never have, prolly never will.

By semillama on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 09:38 am:

Since I drive corollas, I find that I need bumper stickers to make id'ing my car in a lot easier.

I have a "Gitche Gumee Gets It To Me" sticker from a kayak tour company I have never patronized (I just like the name Gitche Gumee for Lake Superior), a sticker for this underground band I like called SAH, and an Ohio Ornithological Society sticker.

By patrick on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 01:35 pm:

droop, go with the "give me ice" sticker because it seems to be the one that readers will walk away with something. they, probably like me, will be asking themselves hours later "what the fuck does that mean?"

whats up with the rainbowstickers too? is that how gay people hook up for the random sex? is that part of the global gay agenda?

By droopy on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 01:59 pm:

it's a reference to something spunky said on wayd.

By Spider on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 05:19 pm:

There's a bumpersticker on our neighbor's truck that says, "My other car is a pair of boots."

I like that.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact