prick

sorabji.com: Words: prick
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 01:34 am:

disturbingly, this starts with a conversation with my mother. she called earlier in the day just for the hell of it. toward the end of the conversation she told me was reading a book called "shadow of the wind" by "zephron or zaphron zephyr or something like that. he's spanish." (it turned out to be zafón). she had a question for me:

do you know what entha...entho...enthomology means?

enthomology? are you sure that's right?

well, no.

do you mean entomology?

maybe! what does that mean?

shit. i think it's the study of insects.

no. no. it has to do with words.

etymology?

yes! i think that's it. is that about words?

yeah. you know, like in the dictionary. they always have the etymology part at the end of the definition: "this word is from the latin root blah blah" and all that.

all right. there's a part in the book where the main character says to someone - a professor of languages - "do you know the ety- am i saying it right? - etymology of the word prick?" you know, meaning he's the prick.

a little later after that exchange i dug up a book i have called "the dictionary of word origins" to see if it had an entry for "prick". this is what i found:

"prick is a word of the low german area, which english shares with dutch (prik). its ultimate origins, though, are not known. the earliest record of its use for "p*nis" is from the late 16th century, and in the 16th and 17th centuries women employed it as a term of endearment - a usage that did not go down well in all quarters: "one word alone hath troubled some, because the immodest maid soothing the young man, calls him her pr*ck. he who cannot away with this, instead of "my pr*ck," let him write "my sweetheart." - from "colloquies of erasmus," 1671

it's a shame people don't do that anymore.

let me call you my prick
    i'm in love with you...

i bet those low germans still call their boyfriends "my prick," or whatever the equivalent is in deutch. i've heard them say they love dich.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 03:02 am:

you probably meant to prick the insect with needle to keep it on display......

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact