...heard a ghost?

sorabji.com: Have you ever...: ...heard a ghost?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Wednesday, April 7, 1999 - 06:57 pm:

If not, try this place. Be sure to listen to "Where's the one in my life, Mr. B?"

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Thursday, April 8, 1999 - 08:50 am:

Damn. No sound capability here at work! :-(

By Spider on Thursday, April 8, 1999 - 12:19 pm:

You have to try it at home, then! It's a really sad voice.

If you hit the "to the shadowlands evp page" link, there's a really scary clip of someone saying "get out." I just listened to it a second ago. It's all cheerful and sunny in here, and I still got scared!

By Spider on Saturday, September 25, 1999 - 05:23 pm:

A few weeks ago I was at home. Now, I have a really annoying, overactive imagination, and I'm always doing stupid things like looking at a mirror in the dark and thinking "wouldn't it be scary if I could see another face looking at me?" and then of course I imagine the face there, and then I get really scared. My point is, I don't like being in our house alone, but I don't know if that's because of the house itself being creepy, or me just feeling that way.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I was at home, sleeping (as it was the middle of the night), when I was awakened by a sound coming from my closet. Now, I've never been afraid of my closet, so it wasn't some subconscious fear manifesting itself or anything. There was just this scratching sound...like something was rubbing against the door as it was slipping or something. It would happen like 3 times in a row, a few seconds would go by, 3 more scratching sounds, etc.

So I'm laying there...it's like 3:30 in the morning...I really don't want to get up and see whatever is going on in my closet. So I wait about 1/2 hour. It happens consistently throughout that 1/2 hour. I finally decide to turn on the little light above the bed. Still the sounds come. I'm not really scared for some reason, just puzzled and curious. I get up and open my closet door. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. I thought maybe one of the boxes I keep on the shelf above my clothes had somehow slid forward and was slipping, but there was nothing like that. I hit the clothes, checking to see if anything's caught between them (I don't know what...a mouse, maybe?). Nothing happens. The light isn't very bright, so I can't see everything in the closet, but I decide to just shut the door and go back to sleep.

I keep the light on for a few more minutes, and when I turn the light off, the noises start again. This time, it's just like one scratch noise...wait 5-10 minutes...another noise... The sounds sounded like they were coming from the middle of the closet, not the floor or the high shelf, so it couldn't be a mouse (we don't have mice in our house anyway).

The nice thing about my brain is that my logic usually overrides my imagination in situations like this, so I'm not really scared, just confused. I manage to fall asleep, and when I wake up in the morning, I look again in my closet...nothing seems out of place.

Here's the annoying part: I tell my mother in the morning, "Hey, I woke up in the middle of the night and there were these weird scratching noises coming from my closet." She says I was dreaming. I tell her, no, I got out of bed to look in my closet...I was wide awake. Then she says, and this is what bothers me, that I couldn't have heard anything, because what could have been making the noise? Like, I didn't find a mouse or a demon in my closet, hence, I didn't hear anything in the first place. But I did!

And she accuses me of being irrational. Why is it that skeptics never want to be proved wrong?

By Semillama on Saturday, September 25, 1999 - 07:30 pm:

By Sumone on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 12:50 pm:

yup...thats pretty weird. same things happen to me sometimes tho. i usually juss shrug it off and forget about it.

By Spider on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 01:00 pm:

What the hell? How can you read what other people have written and not notice they wrote it FIVE years ago?

By kazu on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 01:12 pm:

I still find it hard to believe that 1999 was five years ago.

By heather on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 02:57 pm:

ugh

yeah

crap

By eri on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 08:42 pm:

1999 I was giving birth to my youngest. And new years eve 1999 was the last time I smoked pot....has it really been 5 years? Actually I guess it has cuz I keep thinking "this is the first real job I have had in 5 years". Boy am I getting old.

By J on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:07 am:

You don't know what old is hon,wish I didn't,but I do.

By eri on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:12 am:

OK, I'm aging quickly now.....that better?

By sarah on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:16 pm:

eri, i thought of you yesterday. there was a reuter's article about how premature babies very rarely grow up to be smaller than regular babies.

did you see the photo of my puppy? :)

By The Watcher on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:19 pm:

eri,

We've missed you. Where have you been hiding?

By The Watcher on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:37 pm:

I have had a few strange encounters.

When my wife and I were living in her parents house we both smelled toast at 2:00 A.M.. We were the only ones in the house at the time. And, both neighbors were in bed.

In our next home I had two experiences. In one I thought I saw our cat coming down the hall. But, I turned around and she was fast asleep in a chair behind me. The second time, when I turned to go down the same hallway I saw a woman in a turn of the century dress just standing there. This house was not that old.

Our current home has been very active according to a psychic we talked to once. We live next door to a cemetary. We've both noted strange smells, cooking oders mostly, from time to time. We've found strategically placed crystals seem to have calmed things down a bit.

By eri on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 10:02 pm:

I've been hiding at work lately. And my social life has been insane. I have to tell everyone to back off cuz I am too fucking tired to go out anymore, like an old lady, and I'm not even 30 yet (I have to say that cuz I can only say that for a couple more weeks).

Sarah, aside from Micki's weight she is totally normal sized for a child her age. They give Hayley a hard time about her height and weight, but she's got two really small parents and is just going to be small and there isn't anything wrong with that. I am not putting her on growth hormones cuz she is only "predicted" to be 4'11". I mean who fucking cares if you are short? She's cute as a button, it works for her.

By V.v. on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 11:29 pm:

Right,long spines = back ache (curse of the giants)...Im glad to be 5ft 9inches.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 12:36 pm:

Oh, my aching back!!!:-)

eri,

It's good to see your back.

Hayley good possibly have future health problems because of her height.

How old is she?

By The Watcher on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 12:40 pm:

If you think thirty is going to be bad, just wait till you reach 40.

That's when your really start to fall apart.

I just can't wait to see what happens when I hit fifty later this year.:-(

By eri on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 01:28 pm:

Hayley is only 9 years old and she is totally healthy. She's just gonna be short. But I am not going to stuff her full of hormones cuz the way she was made isn't good enough. Not going to happen.

By J on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:40 pm:

I took a picture this last Christmas that freaked me,it was Christmas Day in my living room,I have sky lights and my front doors have glass panels so believe me when I tell you,there was PLENTY of light,Amee,Orion,and the new sucker Jon(not her ex)were sitting on the loveseat,directly behind them is a small table with a mirror,behind me was my sun room which is very light too.When I had the film developed,I was so creeped out.My reflection taking their picture should have been seen in the mirror,but there was no reflection,you'd never know that it was a mirror,and I downloaded it,blew it up and you can make out a murkey shape with long arms.Really creepy.

By V.v. on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:44 pm:

Junk food,its the way to go man,in England,sends school girls up to 6ft plus.

By V.v. on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:51 pm:

J,double exposure?

By J on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:07 pm:

Nope.

By heather on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:12 pm:

hey, maybe she will have *fewer* health problems, watcher, imagine that!!

i don't know about everyone else, but *i* sure am getting sick of your pissing and moaning. yes i do know the solution to that. stop reading.

thirty is fucking great, btw.

By V.v. on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:29 pm:

J,nope?then that pic is worth keeping.Reminds me of a pic taken by some guy in Cumberland,England.He took a pic of his daughter on a clear day in the open,yet in the back ground is an image of a spaceman,if you get to see one of them t.v. productions about u.f.o.s,you will most likely get to see it.

By eri on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:33 pm:

I have been having a bit of an odd experience with ghostly noises at work. It was really bad when I was at my old desk. I would sit there and I would swear (it's so quiet there) that I heard someone whispering my name to me with urgency, but the odd part was there was no one there and that the voice called me "Erin" when everyone at work knows me as Eri. There was always a loud bang then, and no one else heard a thing. After about two weeks of this they brought out a new group and I noticed that one girl across from me noticed the bang and looked up, and another woman at work asked me if the place was haunted cuz she keeps thinking she hears someone whispering her name to her. I still heard it too, until I moved away from that area of the room and haven't heard a thing since. It's just weird. Cuz there wasnt anyone there to speak my name. I was alone over there. so it was odd. but it is apparently over for the moment now.....rude ghost calling me erin. no one calls me erin.

By kazu on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:35 pm:

I've never known any short people to have more heath problems because of their height unless some kind of illness caused or contributed to their shortness. I just think Watcher has an disease-lens that makes him see every normal and natural life change as a potential catalyst for illness...it's like pointing out the degree to which just having a *body* increases the chance of being physically ill.

By BANG on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:36 pm:

ERIN!

By kazu on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:38 pm:

Eri,

Stuff like that usually happens to my best friend though usually when she's in bed and her experiences are similar to mine when I'm having a particular kind of nightmare. When she was in Ireland, however, he mother reported having seen the same thing.

By V.v. on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:49 pm:

"The Watcher"is smart,sharp,and allways an asset to threads that would otherwise be rather childish and petulant.100 years from now,we are all forgotton history,so lets party for the present.Love to you all (some more than others)

By semillama on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:58 pm:

V.v.

just come out and admit it.

The Watcher gives you a stiffie.

By V.v. on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:38 pm:

STIFFIE!No,not at all Sir,...come on Sem,you know me from the early days of my invasion of Sorabji Land,I can not let down The Watcher,one of the very few Sorabjis who would talk with a Lithuanin gringo,a new kid on the block,who did not have a Sorabji history going back to 1998........(but you did make me laugh)

By eri on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 08:28 pm:

Where I work is a new building so there wouldn't really be a history there, yet, but it is built in the middle of the forrest, so I wonder what kind of spritual energies run around this forrest.

My fever is coming back. I feel like shit again, and I am so hungry and tired. The kids just wouldn't let me take a nap today. Oy.

By Antigone on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 09:24 pm:

I have a sorabji history going back to 1898.

By kazu on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 09:32 pm:

The graduate students in my department helped organize an undergraduate conference and one woman is presenting a paper on Sorabji.

Cornelia Sorabji.

Feel better eri!

By V.v. on Thursday, April 1, 2004 - 11:06 am:

Cornelia Sorabji! FEH!...(just love them ol Yiddisha words)

By The Watcher on Friday, April 2, 2004 - 02:09 pm:

At nine I wouldn't worry to much. You never really know what will happen when she reaches puberty.

She just might be one of those that grows like a weed in their teens. I did.

I only mentioned possible health problems because most of the "short" people I know have had health problems because of their height. But, their shortness was caused by a medical condition. Their organs were/are to big for their bodies. If she has not been diagnosed with a medical condition that would cause her to have this problem then she should not have any other medical issues because of her height.

Do you have her on a strictly vegatarian diet? That would limit her intake of certain amino acids which stimulate the production of growth hormones.

By patrick on Friday, April 2, 2004 - 03:46 pm:

*BLANK STARE*

By eri on Friday, April 2, 2004 - 07:45 pm:

She has one health problem in relation to the medication she was on in the hospital before she came home, so she is on a high potassium low sodium diet, but other than that, I just try to teach healthy eating, not strictly vegetarian.

Her height is not going to be an issue. I am not worried about that. I am just suprised that the doctors are so anal about someone who has a low projected adult height. I am short, my ex is short (5'6") she's just not going to be tall. Who the fuck cares?

By V.v. on Friday, April 2, 2004 - 10:04 pm:

Just keep pushing that junk food in side her and watch ,her grow into a 6ft 2" monster...you know Eri, when i was a kid,we did not have that kinda "fast grow" junk food,...wish to god we did,then mayby i would be 6ft and not the 5ft 9" i am now.

By eri on Saturday, April 3, 2004 - 04:36 pm:

Exactly where did I indicate that I feed my children "fast grow" junk food? I feed my children a healthy diet based on their individual special needs. Micki is still skinny and Hayley is still short. No junk food necessary.

By V.v. on Saturday, April 3, 2004 - 05:51 pm:

NO, you got me wrong,i was not suggesting that you feed your kids junk food,you know better than enyone what to feed them on,its just i see them 6ft 2" school girls (not just the black ones)and i remember when i was a kid they were only 5ft 2",so somthing is different from the old days,what it is i dont know.

By Ronald McSteroid on Saturday, April 3, 2004 - 06:26 pm:

It's the hormones in the beef.

By V.v. on Saturday, April 3, 2004 - 06:36 pm:

...and if its Mc.Donalds,(added fat and blood vessels)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact