had an epiphany?

sorabji.com: Have you ever...: had an epiphany?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Wisper on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 01:55 am:

I'm on the town bus to a friends house when it stops at a traffic light in front of a sandwich shop whose front window says (in huge day-glo fast food letters): VEAL SALAMI STEAK SEAFOOD VEGGI
    and I glance at it and ponder how goddamn sick and cruel I think veal is, and in the blink of an eye something snaps in my head, something I've been fighting with for a few months now. I'll never eat meat again. It's sick. Up until the moment on the bus I had been struggling with giving up only two things (shrimp and bacon...*lol*) but at that moment I suddenly did not care anymore. Fuck it. I don't care if I never eat bacon again. And shrimp...well....I'll have to say goodbye to shrimp. I'm over it. I don't want to eat dead animals ever again.

help me.
    any tips? food hints? threats? I'm going to do this gradually......

By Gee on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 02:02 am:

Don't be too strict with yourself. You'll go crazy.

Welcome back to the warm glow of our love.

By agatha on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 02:20 am:

just don't eat it anymore. it's really easy.

By Bk on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 03:15 am:

easiest thing to do is stop eating completely

By cyst on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 09:39 am:

wisper, if we ever go out to a restaurant together, I will gladly eat all your shrimp.

I'd do anything to help my broad-minded friends with their vegetarian lifestyle choices.

By Nate on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 11:12 am:

oh man, shrimp wrapped in bacon and fried. oh jesus, that's good.

here's your rationale: if your vegitarian you'll probably be eating more vegetables and fruits and things, which means your insect consumption will actually rise. Since it is probably acceptable to eat an insect, you might as well clear yourself for anything with an exoskeleton. so shrimp are parve.

or not, but i find it is always good to rationalize the things you enjoy so that they fit within your moral schema.

By Frodo on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 03:15 pm:

meat eaters anonymous anyone?

Step 1: Recognized that I was powerless over hamburger and that my life had become unmanageable.

Step 2: Came to believe that a power greater than myself would be needed to remove meat from my life.

Step 3: Made a decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of the Green Giant.

Etc., etc., etc....

Giant - grant me the serenity to eat green peas the courage avoid meat products and the wisdom to know the difference.

By Sarah on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 03:29 pm:

The Libertarian Party Motto:

"it is always good to rationalize the things you enjoy so that they fit within your moral schema"

ehhh i'm just giving you shit, boy. 'tis the season.

wisper, i was veggie for 6 years. straight up. it almost killed me. so be careful, make sure you're getting enough protein. don't overdo it with the pasta and rice.

have you decided on things like milk, eggs, cheese, and yogurt?

By Patrick on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 03:34 pm:

yeah sarah my wife was veggie for 6-7 years too, she got bruised when it rained, she lacked protein and iron, now she eats chicken breast like it's going outta of style....

By Nate on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 04:18 pm:

sarah: you make my laugh.

beans, tofu, tempeh.

dark green veggies. spinach. brocolli.

rennet free cheese.

when i was vegitarian i ate a lot of bean and cheese burritos, and mostly satisfied my hunger with quarts of king cobra.

i lost a lot of weight, too. became skinny and sickly.

then i read the bible and decided that vegitarianism is just not god's plan.

By Jesus Christ on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 04:25 pm:

nothing beats a ripe young filet mignon with aujus!

eat hearty good christian soldiers!!

denty more beef stew will substitute in the abscence of filet mignon

By Nate on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 04:27 pm:

dinty moore?

au jus, yes. i remember the days when that would get you flamed.

By Jesus Christ on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 04:30 pm:

yes, i see you are aware of it......

or Campbells Chunky Sirloin Burger soup. It's amazing, it's a soup that eats like a meal!!!

I only know Dinty moore because David recommended it.

By Sarah on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 04:56 pm:

i was channeling jesus christ last night during supper. ask my dad, he'll confirm.

we were eating pork chops.

By Nate on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 05:25 pm:

was jesus getting pissed?

"hey you fuckos! you ever hear of kashrut!? the body is a temple! THE BODY IS A FUCKING TEMPLE!"

By The Dinner Lady on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 06:13 pm:

Ted Nugent sells a bumper sticker in his catalogue that says

'I love animals - they're delicious!'

His son is also quoted as saying

"God made animals for us to eat"

If the Nuge says it it must be true

I'm zone diet all the way

By Nate on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 06:26 pm:

oddly enough, i'm a distant relative of the Nuge.

if god didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

that's my fav.

ahahh.

i just like the taste of a good bloody porterhouse.

By Patrick on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 07:10 pm:

"oddly" INDEED man,

you never cease to amaze me...

FUCK!

By Wisper on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 12:50 am:

yer the man Nate, the bug thing sounds like a good plan.
    Up until that I was trying to justify a reason why shrimp are evil, and therefore deserve to die.

Damn demon shrimp.

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 10:07 am:

Careful with bugs. According to Leviticus, only crickets, grasshoppers, katydids and locusts
    are kosher. Makes sense, sorta. When you've got a plague of locusts eating your crops,
    there ain't too many other options. On the other hand, in a strict sense, raspberries are not
    kosher, cuz you can't guarantee them to be bug free. Go figure.

I'm no relation to the Nuge, but I've partied with Ethan Hawke's brother in l

By semillama on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 01:33 pm:

I'm going to see the Nuge play Jan.31. If I see him, I'll tell him you said hi, Nate.

By semillama on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 01:33 pm:

I'm going to see the Nuge play Jan.31. If I see him, I'll tell him you said hi, Nate.

By The Dinner Lady on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 01:37 pm:

How are you related to the Nuge? Does he come to holidays with you? Please lie and tell me you got his name in the holiday draw and had to buy him a gift. This is the kind of lying I could like.

By Nate on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 01:37 pm:

romf. ask him how he's doing with the bowhunting.

By semillama on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 04:31 pm:

I'll try to pick up some of his patented jerky for everyone.

Unless I get skewered by a flaming arrow first.

and that's assuming Creed doesn't cause my head to explode first.

I'm going to were this great white trash t-shirt to the show. My friend sent it to me and it shows a cartoon of wrassler and points out identifying marks. It's gloriously stupid.

By The Dinner Lady on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 05:37 pm:

I have a whol bunch of his jerky here in my office. It was holiday gifts last year. It's still good this year. Please call for his catalogue. It is totally scary

1-800-343-HUNT

This is not a joke!

By Gee on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 06:26 pm:

What's a nuge?

tomorow night Holly Cole is going to be on TV singing Tom Waits songs. I think that's really interesting. A little while ago, I only knew the guys name from you all, and now he's being shoved in my face everytime I turn around. I love Holly Cole.

By Patrick on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 06:32 pm:

short for Ted NUGEnt, the "rockstar" and avid hunter

By Reciprocity on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 06:54 pm:

DIE WHITETRASH BOY!!!

By Nate on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 11:07 am:

YEAH! DIE WHITETRASH BOY!

whoops. Turrets, i think.

Anyway, Gee... if you look deeply you'll find that a lot of big hits were Tom Waits songs first.

maybe not a lot, but a few.

some, at least.

OK... so "Downtown Train" is the only one i can think of off the top of my head. But goddamnit I know there are others or i wouldn't have said anything.

are you white trash, Gee? i hate white people.

By The Dinner Lady on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 11:32 am:

I hate taking out the trash. Does that make us even?

By Nate on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 11:35 am:

i don't think anyone on sorabji is even.

By Patrick on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 11:58 am:

far from it you goose stepping bastard

By The Dinner Lady on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 12:03 pm:

odd then?

By Nate on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 12:12 pm:

definitely.

By semillama on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 10:07 pm:

I just had this image of Nate, on my old college campus, trying to stomp on the geese there and failing badly. I used to enjoy watching teh geese attack people who were late for class and cut across the lawns too close to a clutch of goslings ( is clutch the right word here? Or is gaggle more appropriate? I could use your expertise Sheila).

By Gee on Thursday, December 23, 1999 - 04:16 am:

I don't think I know that song, "Downtown Train". I started to watch the Holly Cole special tonight but then my mother came along and said "Are you going to watch that movie?" meaning "Miracle on 34th Street" and I couldn't say no. So I didn't get to see the special. I hope they show it again sometime soon.

I think I'm a little bit of trash. I have delusions of being sort of polished (my friend ren says I'm "proper") but I'm woefully trashy.

When I got out of the shower this evening I was Sure I could still see tan lines from the summer. Is that weird?

By Nate on Thursday, December 23, 1999 - 01:57 pm:

Rod Stewart? "Downtown Train"?

hm

what's wierd is that you shower in the evening.

By Spider on Thursday, December 23, 1999 - 03:07 pm:

I've had lots of epiphanies. Lots of "I HAVE THE SOLUTION!!" moments that result in me planning the rest of my life around whatever principle has been revealed to me at that time. Trouble is, I'm too lazy to put them into practice.

Any time I think "I only have to do [x] (or not do [x]) for the rest of my life," I immediately get overwhelmed with the "for the rest of my life" part and give up. Good thing I don't smoke or anything like that. I hate the thought of having to give up something I like FOREVER.

There's too much yummy meat lying around to seriously think about giving it up FOREVER. I hope you've come to your senses, Wisper.

PS. Tom Waits is my hero. Have I already said that?

By Wisper on Friday, December 24, 1999 - 01:05 am:

no way man, it's gross.
    milk, cheese and that stuff can stay though, it's not dead. I hate milk anyway. I'm still torn on wether or not to eat jello, though.

By cyst on Friday, December 24, 1999 - 02:08 am:

gee -

do you chew gum?

when I was growing up, my mother used to tell me that gum chewing was "common."

By Gee on Friday, December 24, 1999 - 02:42 am:

I like gum. Not so much for the flavour but I really like the chewing action. Please don't anyone take this the wrong way, but I like putting things in my mouth. I chew on pens, suck on lollypops, and when I'm drinking I often take a sip and hold it in my mouth for a long time before I swallow. I do this with practically Every sip, unless I'm really thirsty.

I also really like blowing bubbles. That's why I keep the gum long after the taste has gone.

Showering in the evening isn't so weird. There are four adults living in a house with one washroom, and everyone can't shower in the morning. We'd all be late. So I wash my hair at night and then get the rest of me clean in the morning. Plus I hate using hair dryers, so if I wash my hair at night I can let it dry naturally because I'm not on a deadline. My friend Marc showers at night, too, so I can't be that weird.

By semillama on Friday, December 24, 1999 - 02:48 pm:

I usually shower at night, because I would rather have the extra time in bed in the morning.

Wisper - You prefer the living over the dead then in your diet? (a little, bad joke)

By Spider on Friday, December 24, 1999 - 04:13 pm:

The sound of the hair dryer is one of my favorite sounds. I don't know why. Listening to it will put me to sleep, which is a bad thing since I shower in the morning. I shower in the morning because it is the only way I can wake up.

Gee, I'm like you with the mouth thing. I chew gum and fingernails and fingers and a strand of hair and even my lower lip if nothing else is around. I wonder if you're like me and you cover your mouth when you want to hide something, too.

By Nate on Friday, December 24, 1999 - 06:36 pm:

i, uh.

oh nevermind.

By Gee on Monday, December 27, 1999 - 04:14 am:

I don't know if I'm trying to hide something, but I rest my chin in my hand a Lot and cover my mouth with my hand. I think I usually do this when I'm trying to concentrate.

When I get nervous I twiddle my fingers around each other, and push my hair away from my face. I'm sharing.

By semillama on Monday, December 27, 1999 - 04:03 pm:

Gee, I do much the same thing when I am thinking.

I also tap out rhythms from songs that are going through my head. It annoys the hell out of some folks.

My borther is currently scooting around on one of those computer chairs. I am going to steal it from him right now.

By Patrick on Monday, December 27, 1999 - 04:48 pm:

i have the inherent drummer tick, tapping incessantly, I can make a millions sounds from a pen and a few books. I too, annoy the hell out of some folks that way, but most of the time i don't even realizee it.

oh and sometimes i tap my teeth in rhythmic formations as well, my back teeth being the low and my front being the high.....

By Gee on Monday, December 27, 1999 - 05:34 pm:

I think this is weird: I cover my face when I cry. That's not the weird part. The weird part is that I do it because I make really ugly disgusting distorted faces when I'm crying and I don't want anyone to see. It's weird that even when I'm weeping buckets and feeling like so much crap, there's still a part of me that's worried about how I look.

By Spider on Monday, December 27, 1999 - 09:19 pm:

Me too. I also cover my face when I laugh for the same reason.

At Christmas dinner, my brother and I caused a scene at the table when we laughed too hard. My dad was at the head and we were on either side of him. My brother called my dad Papa Orsetto, which means Papa Little Bear in Italian, and for some reason we thought that was hilarious, and we laughed so hard we were crying and doubled over our plates. We both covered our faces with our napkins while we laughed, too, as we are both oddly self-conscious like that. We must have looked a sight.

By cyst on Monday, December 27, 1999 - 09:34 pm:

I bought a wig today. it's a chin-length bob, silver, with bangs.

this means I won't be able to play with my hair new year's eve. when prince valiant started imitating me, I realized that I touch my hair all the time. especially when I go out and talk to boys.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact