Dave!

sorabji.com: Have you ever...: Dave!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 08:54 am:

Dear Dave,

You are not alone.

Yesterday I had a temp working for me. At the end of the day, he came into my office to talk. During this time, I saw him looking around my office, and when there was a pause in the conversation, he asked me,

"Are you a goth girl?"

If it's possible to cough and splutter in your thoughts, that's what I did.

"No, I'm not," I managed to answer calmly. Unfortunately, I was too startled to ask him what had given him such an impression. There is nothing goth about my office nor about my person, and we had been talking about the art of Frederic Church, a most un-goth painter.

But, anyway, Dave, now it's not just you who has picked up on these mysterious goth vibes I must be sending. This bears investigation.

By dave. on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 09:45 am:

for me, it's like you're a true goth. not just a dress-up, wannabe. you'd be goth in dockers and a polo shirt listening to faith hill in your eurovan on the way to home depot to pick up a couple gallons of pale yellow paint for the kitchen. you'd be goth doing the hippie dance at a phish concert.

at first, it was your pen name and your taste in brooding music. then you became more public about your religion, which might just be the most goth religion in the world. then, i think you said once that you have black hair and pale skin. it just fits.

it's not a criticism, but it is cute the way you fervently deny it, which is why i like to bring it up occasionally. btw, you never answered me about the nick cave album. did you get it?

By Spider on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 10:18 am:

Whoa, that's pretty penetrating. You may be right.

As for Nick Cave, no, I haven't, and let me tell you why. I haven't gotten the album you recommended (which was the Boatman's Call, right?), because I have heard conflicting things about that album from others whose tastes I trust. I trust you, too, which leaves me confused.

I know: give me the names of a few songs I could download from the album and then I can make up my mind after that.

By dave. on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 10:32 am:

howzabout i post a link to the whole damned thing? i'll do it tonight or maybe tomorrow. i'll recommend a few to sample first. do you have a cd burner or access to one?

By Spider on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 11:04 am:

I don't, but my brother does...

Thanks, Dave! This is cool.

By dave. on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 11:30 am:

one more thing: do you want big, fat, high quality files or smaller files that won't take so long to download?

personally, i think it's one of the best albums of the last decade. definitely a mood piece. i just hope it lives up to my hyping of it.

By agatha on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 11:59 am:

i second that statement. it's an amazing album, one of the sort that creeps up on you, rocks your socks off, and gives you a wedgie in parting.

By Spider on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 12:04 pm:

Smaller files, please. My speakers are bad, so high quality files would be diluted anyway.

Is it anything like Murder Ballads? Because I didn't like Murder Ballads. I really like the Birthday Party and the NC&BS song "Papa Won't Leave You Henry," though, so I'm under the impression that Nick Cave is talented but erratic. Let's see how he falls on this album.

By Spider on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 12:05 pm:

Point noted, Agatha.

By Antigone on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 12:18 pm:

You three. Get a room!

By Spider on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 01:08 pm:

Jealous? Join in! Recommend me a good Nick Cave album.

By dave. on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 03:53 pm:

By Spider on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 04:18 pm:

Dave, that got smacked by my adult filter at work! That thing is so oversensitive...it probably thought puissance was a dirty word.

I'll wait till tonight to try again, if I can.

By dave. on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 06:05 pm:

nah, that domain hosts all kinds of naughty stuff. it's probably pre-loaded by default on most content block lists. i didn't even think about that. sorry, don't get fired!

By Nate on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 10:27 pm:

i bought that boatman's call cd on your tip and i'm going to have to listen to it a few more times before i can say i don't like it for sure.

By dave. on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 11:15 pm:

like i said, it's a mood piece. i like the lyrics, the understated musical arrangements, and the mood. you may never like it but you're not a goth chick, either.

i added a video of "into my arms". it's pretty crappy quality but i only had about a meg of space left so i converted it from mpeg to real media. you might need to right click - save to your hard drive.

By Nate on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 01:49 am:

i keep forgetting i'm not a goth chick.

By Dougie on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 09:52 am:

Into My Arms is a beautiful tune. Can't remember where I heard it, but I've been meaning to get the cd just on the merits of that song alone.

By Spider on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 11:00 am:

That's not the same Robyn Hitchcock "Into My Arms," is it?

By Spider on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 11:00 am:

Sorry, that's "Arms of Love." Forget it.

By sarah on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 11:26 am:

nate, if you decide you don't like it for sure you should send it to Spider.

heather told me the cd i sent her was confusing.

By heather on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 11:32 am:

not to me, silly

By sarah on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 11:49 am:

oh i know. i guess i was talking to nate. you probably thought it was funny.

By Spider on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 07:51 pm:

Dave, I'm very sorry to say that I couldn't download the songs because they appear to be infected with a virus. However, I did get to view the video clip.

I'm going to the record store to buy my own copy. Right now. Cross your fingers that it's there.

By dave. on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 08:23 pm:

there's no stinkin' virus. is your security software set to paranoid or something?

By Spider on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 08:50 am:

I don't know, dude, but someone didn't cross their fingers. The Boatman's Call wasn't at the store, and I was afraid to buy any of the other albums without guidance, so I got their Best Of... instead. I'm listening to it right now ("Nobody's Baby Now" is playing). I'm reminded of Tom Waits, in a way, which is good.

I feel bad that you did all that work and I can't do anything with it. I'm going to tell my brother to try downloading the songs from your site and burning them onto CD.

By dave. on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 09:28 am:

okeedoke. let me know if you want me to make a copy and mail it to you.

By Spider on Monday, March 25, 2002 - 04:01 pm:

Dear Dave,

After repeated listens to my "Best of Nick Cave" CD, I have determined that I like the following songs the best:

1. Red Right Hand
    2. Stranger Than Kindness (which is *so* goth, and I understand they didn't write it themselves)
    3. Do You Love Me?
    4. The Carny
    5. The Weeping Song
    6. From Her to Eternity
    7. Nobody's Baby Now

I strongly dislike:

1. Deanna
    2. Straight To You
    3. Where the Wild Roses Grow (but that's off Murder Ballads, so I knew that already)

What do you make of this?

My bro. is downloading a song a night from your webpage and will burn them all onto CD when he's done.

By Spider on Monday, March 25, 2002 - 04:17 pm:

Oops, I forgot -- I like "(Are You) The One That I've Been Waiting For?" too.

By Nate on Monday, March 25, 2002 - 04:21 pm:

red right hand and do you love me? are probably my favorite nick cave songs. in the other order, though.

this may be why i was initially disappointed with the boatman album. but on further listens i like it. it is quite good.

By dave. on Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 09:49 am:

i like the weeping song. that's from the good son, which is also pretty good. are you the one. . . is from boatman calls. it's a good song, too. i pulled those songs before i ever read that post about your bro. if you want, i can just copy the cd and mail it to you. guaranteed free from virii, real or imagined.

i thought murder ballads sucked, too. i haven't listened much to the new one. agatha says it's good. i've been listening to a lot of system of a down and not much else. i need somebody to put out something fresh and new that kicks my ass but the older i get, the less likely that becomes.

By moonit on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 12:55 am:

Find some Shihad. Cept I think they're called Pacifier now.

By dave. on Friday, March 29, 2002 - 05:04 pm:

someone tipped me to these chicks. kind of early devo/cibo matto. better than anything else in this town these days. once again, dykes rock!

By pez on Saturday, March 30, 2002 - 02:27 am:

oh yeah, tracy and the plastics! i saw them a few months ago, the projector broke down in the middle of their set. it was sad. tracy had her face painted with all sorts of squares, almost minimalist face. and her music was almost scary. they're good, but i have to confess that i liked the all-girl-cyndi-lauper-cover-band better.

By Spider on Monday, April 1, 2002 - 09:48 am:

Dave, I got The Boatman's Call!

I got it last night.

I just started listening to it now. I took a quick auditory peek at "Green Eyes" to see if it was bad like you said -- you're right.

I do like "Lime-Tree Arbour."

By Spider on Monday, April 1, 2002 - 10:05 am:

Re: something new to kick your ass.

There's a band called Macha out of Athens, GA, that plays mostly instrumental music that's inspired by Indonesian folk music. That probably doesn't sound exciting, but it is. I saw them a few years ago, and I was reminded of the Dirty Three.

They have 2 albums -- one self-titled and one called "Come See It Another Way."

Look for a song called "Visiting the Ruins" off the first album, and "The Nipplegong" and "Submarine Lover" off the second one.

By patrick on Monday, April 1, 2002 - 12:13 pm:

be on the lookout for "Black Love' from Athens. My greatest pal from GA and former bass player. and new band of his.

i wanna say spider, they may have played recently with Macha.

i could be wrong.

By Spider on Monday, April 1, 2002 - 04:17 pm:

PS. I notice that the Dirty 3's Warren Ellis plays violin on this NC album. That's cool.

Dave, this is a really good album. Thank you for recommending it to me.

By dave. on Saturday, April 6, 2002 - 12:57 pm:

sure thing.

i'm already bored with tracy and the plastics. i did discover this stuff recently and i'm way into it. it's classsified as idm or intelligent dance music. or headphone techno. i don't know about the "dance" part unless head bobbing is dancing. nice, mostly downbeat, layered ambience and no vocals. damn, i'm tired of vocals.

By Spider on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 10:15 am:

Dave, have you read George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series?

(I know you've read Stephen R. Donaldson's series, so that's why I'm asking you specifically.)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact