Have you ever been enchanted?

sorabji.com: Have you ever...: Have you ever been enchanted?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By XenaKaBoom on Tuesday, February 10, 1998 - 12:50 am:
    I was enchanted by a young European man when I was visiting New York in 1981, when I lived in California. The trip was a big deal to me, and I felt as if I was in a Dreamworld. Going to Disney Land will do that to you, I suppose.

My mother took me on a prefab tour of Chinatown, and somehow we ended up with a group of German teenagers. The tour was pleasant enough, but I remember little but for a young man, about 17 years old. We walked down a narrow aisle in a shop, and he motioned for me to walk ahead of him. He gestured with his arm, and touched to small of my back as I walked in front of him. The first tingle of sexual desire engulphed me.

I will never again feel that pleasure, even now as I make love as an adult.

By XenaKaBoom on Tuesday, February 10, 1998 - 06:02 pm:
    Yes, I spelled engulfed wrong here, too. Unfortunately, the passion of what I am trying to say often is stronger than my competing urge to be proficient with the English landuage.

By The schoolmarm on Tuesday, February 10, 1998 - 06:23 pm:
    The comment wasn't meant as a criticism, and hope it didn't come across that way. Typos and misspellings and grammar violations and English as a foreign language and etc. all occur here and in other forums, and communication and civility would be brought to a trickle if each one had to be dissected and corrected.

It just struck me particularly strangely, and got in the way of hearing what you were saying.

I like the phrase "prefab tour".

By Mailbox Value on Monday, March 9, 1998 - 02:03 am:
    enchanted? Once I had a bad dream...there was a crowd in a church chanting my name and throwing coins...

By
Wisper on Friday, June 11, 1999 - 04:18 pm:

mailbox value?

By Rhiannon on Friday, June 11, 1999 - 10:02 pm:

Back in the days when I was still afraid of anything with a Y chromosome, I worked at the language lab of a local college. One day, this student walked in and asked me to give his letter to one of his professors. There was something about the way he looked at me...I would have done anything he asked. And I can't explain why. He wasn't particularly good-looking and his personality wasn't strong. He was simply and absolutely the most charming, enchanting individual I have ever come across. I'm surprised his rays of charisma were invisible: you should have been able to see them wafting off him like heat waves. When he left, I opened the letter (it was unsealed, so my conscience wasn't too bothered), and his name was Michael Novak.

By Rhiannon on Friday, June 11, 1999 - 10:12 pm:

So my point was: not only was he enchanting, but his charm was so potent that it surpassed my pathological fear of men. This, then, was no ordinary mortal. If you're out there, Michael Novak...

By R.C. on Saturday, June 12, 1999 - 12:12 am:

I have met one or two charming fellows. Enchantingly/devastatingly charming. Charming bastards are always the worst! Becuz charm in a man/even tho' I can't explain it/is irri-fucking-sistible.

But I don't think I've ever met a genuinely charming woman. (Maybe hetero charm only works on the opp. sex.) Unless you count Princess Di. (Not that I ever met her.) She projected the closest thing I can name to the female version of charm. (Even tho' I always suspected it was a front.)

I think graciousness is the closest approximation
    I can think of for male charm. But even feminine graciousness it lacks a certain sexual je-ne-sais- quoi...

So/has anyone met a woman they considered devastatingly charming?

By Bagpuss on Saturday, June 12, 1999 - 09:53 am:

Never met her, but what about Jane Mansfield?

By Rhiannon on Saturday, June 12, 1999 - 11:48 am:

Blecch! She was just a cheap knock-off of the true enchantress: Miss Monroe.

By Bagpuss on Saturday, June 12, 1999 - 02:40 pm:

Oh purlease, the dumb blonde?

She was the sixties' Melinda Messenger/Pam Anderson

By Markus on Saturday, June 12, 1999 - 06:32 pm:

Monroe was a sad, pathetic, confused, tragic, and unattractive lost soul. Only adolescent manipulative exploiters like the Kennedys would be attracted to her.

I'm quite the opinionated one, aren't I?

By R.C. on Saturday, June 12, 1999 - 06:42 pm:

Monroe was a very smart cookie (esp. when it came to contract regoptiations). That buxom & breathless image was an act. And it worked -- people still idolize her after all the years she's been dead. She tried to get cast in more serious roles/but w/the exceptions of "Niagra" & "Bus Stop"/directors weren't willing to give her a chance to be anything but the bimbo.

I'm not saying she was a great actress. I think she was good & had the talent to be great. And you must remember that in those days/even avg. actors had a lot more on the ball than the modern-day Pamela Andersons/thanks to all the traning the studio system provided.

Monroe's sexuality was far too obvious for her to be considered charming in my book. For me/ charm is sexy/but not blatantly sexual. As I said/I can't define 'charm' in a woman. But when I say "Cary Grant was incredibly charming'/everyone immediately knows what I mean.

By Margret on Saturday, June 12, 1999 - 07:03 pm:

I think the female equivalent of charm is something like "class." You don't hear a lot of people saying guys have clas, but they do ascribe that characteristic to the XXs. Maybe it has something to do with overcoming a prescribed gender role, I dunno.
    For my money it's Kim Novak all the way, baby. I have never seen anything as sexy on a woman in my LIFE as her back in a highnecked low backed dress in "Bell, Book & Candle."
    Right now I am chickening out on dumping my boyfriend and swigging sherry from the bottle, though, so my judgement is suspect.
    Please do some version of sending good vibes my way. I so want out of this relationship. Then I can fly to CA, get blasted and hang my naked tits out Nate's moonroof hurling epithets at uninvolved standers-by.

By R.C. on Saturday, June 12, 1999 - 09:42 pm:

I've always regarded Kim Novak as a poor Grace Kelly imitation/in terms of It-factor. But she was stellar in "Vertigo".

I got my Mojo working for ya/babe!

But I can't believe Marvelous Margret is afraid of dumping a guy! Just get on w/it and let the chips fall towards Cali... Or wherever else they may fall.

(Be careful w/the sherry -- trust me/it can give you a mean hangover. Take 1 asprin & drink a big glass of warer of H2O or juice before you crash tonite.)

By Jenny wren on Saturday, June 12, 1999 - 11:36 pm:

something terribly ironic here: a Michael Novak was mentioned here, and a Kim Novak was mentioned. Wierd. Anyway, Rhiannon, have you ever tried to look up Michael Novak?

By Margret on Sunday, June 13, 1999 - 02:29 am:

I like Grace Kelly, too.

But Kim Novak has it all over for me, because she has that "bruised" beauty, maybe a little hard, maybe a lot sad, but all the stronger for it. I perceive Grace Kelly as having been not so tough. Tough is something I look for in female beauty.

I drink the sherry moderately, just didn't have much and had no clean glasses, hence the straight from the bottle thing. I do not anticipate a trip to California any time soon, sadly. I am sure Nate would get me drunk as a skunk, high as a kite or both at my request. But I am on a limited budget and I will need all my sheckels to move out of this place in September.

I will take aspirin tonight anyway. I have been on constant over-the-counter pain meds since the latest onset of ovary betrayal. Ultrasound came back and the culprit has been confirmed. I start my 1/35s first Sunday of my next bleeding flux.

By Swine on Sunday, June 13, 1999 - 03:19 am:

i've noticed that most women that i've spent any significant amount of time with have always found laurence fishburne and christopher walken "charming".

there are a couple others, but those two always seem to come up.

By Swine on Sunday, June 13, 1999 - 03:21 am:

princess diana wasn't charming.

but i've thought lots of women were charming. at least for a little while.

being charming 24-7 must take a lot of work.

By Dreck on Sunday, June 13, 1999 - 03:22 am:

I drink whisky. heavly. copiously. passionateyl.

But tjhat's not hwy I canme here.

Ingrid Bergman. Sh's my vote. My nomineee.

tank you.

By Swine on Sunday, June 13, 1999 - 03:32 am:

my mom gets my vote.

she's pretty damn charming.

and hardcore, too.

i get all my kick-ass from my mom.

but i don't have anywhere near the level of sophistication, charm and class that she has.

By Gee on Sunday, June 13, 1999 - 07:02 am:

Christopher Walken is scarey.

It must be fun to Be charming, but I don't really trust people who Are charming. Once I realize that's what they actually are, I can't give them credit for very much of what they say, and I feel Very played. It's still kinda cute, but only for fun. There's no way in Heck I'd ever keep a charmer around for long.

By Swine on Sunday, June 13, 1999 - 10:47 am:

what you tryin' to say bout my momma?!?

By Sheila on Sunday, June 13, 1999 - 12:39 pm:

cowboy curtis is charming.

speaking for myself only, i have issues with men whose ideal of charm is Mom.

but then i have major Mom issues, too.

among women, it's Helen Mariscotti.

By Swine on Monday, June 14, 1999 - 02:55 am:

i didn't say she was ideal. i said she was charming. although she's very elegant, i'd never want a woman "just like dear old ma".

my mom can be a serious pain in the ass.

By Picofarad on Monday, June 14, 1999 - 10:49 am:

Cowboy Curtis. . . . . right on. . . let's go to the playhouse. . . .
    . we're in one!

By J on Monday, June 14, 1999 - 01:56 pm:

My mom is out of her fucking mind,if she ever had one.I don,t hate her,but I don,t like her,she, pathetic.

By R.C. on Monday, June 14, 1999 - 03:16 pm:

HEY PICOFARAD! Long time no see! How the hell art thou?

By Rhiannon on Sunday, February 6, 2000 - 04:48 pm:

Speaking of charming women:

I don't know if this counts as "charm" or as something else. I had an English professor...62-year-old Southern lady...I don't think there is a student of hers who wouldn't lay themselves over a mud puddle to keep her from getting her feet wet. She was like an angel: she filled you with joy whenever you were near her. Really quirky and adorable sense of humor, read people really well, always said the right things when you asked her about some weird theory. She was divorced, too, and none of us could imagine a) that someone couldn't love her or b) that someone wouldn't treat her right. I saw her on the street yesterday and she remembered my name, even though I had her two years ago and barely spoke in class. A thoroughly sweet lady.

By Chris on Thursday, May 25, 2000 - 03:05 pm:

This is probably too late, but I have met many enchanting women. Perhaps it is all in the perspective. My friend Pam is absolutely the most enchanting person I've ever met. Her merry, silent smile and those secretly amused eyes of hers can hold me like a deer in headlights any day.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact