A New Job

sorabji.com: What do you want?: A New Job
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By NZA on Sunday, October 1, 2000 - 10:27 pm:

So, I had a job interview today. I really hope I get it - better pay, better hours, plus the people seem nice and there seems to be room for advancement (missing at my current place of work, apparently because I lack certain anatomical equipment).

I find out by Friday I hope. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

(Moonit - do you still work in the Ernst & Young building?)

By Isolde on Sunday, October 1, 2000 - 10:44 pm:

Good luck...yes, I"ll cross my fingers. And my legs, just to be certain.
    All of you also have to cross your fingers that I'll get this house...I"m supposed to hear by wednesday!

By NZA on Tuesday, October 10, 2000 - 02:37 am:

Well... they were supposed to decide by the end of the week. And now Tuesday is all gone, and they still haven't called.

I have another interview on Thursday at the University, plus I applied for a position at the Dept for Courts. Their application was like a school assignment - a whole big self assessment form, including such questions as "how do you apply the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi to your work?" WTF - I mostly deal with asians who can't speak english, not Maori who feel oppressed by receiving computer help from a white chick (not that they know that I'm white - we don't have video phones!). Anyway, my friend who teaches at kindy helped me with specifics I could use to complete that bit (they are so PC in the public sector, it's like a different world).

Still. PC has advantages, in terms of not exploiting employees and providing stuff like on site childcare and good parental leave.

Did you get the house Isolde?

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 10, 2000 - 11:24 am:

They were supposed to decide last week. They haven't. I'm going in again today to scream and yell and beg and plead and cajole and attempt to reason with them. This is just getting silly.

By moonit on Tuesday, October 10, 2000 - 08:32 pm:

NZA chase those people who havent rung you.

And yuppers I still do - 4th floor in the left hand
    corner!

Is that where you went?

What kind of work are you looking for and I'll
    keep an eye out

<work promo mode>
    have you checked our website:
    www.nzjobs.co.nz

</end work promo mode>

By NZA on Tuesday, October 10, 2000 - 11:00 pm:

Thanks Moonit. I actually first saw the job on NZjobs, then it was in the paper too, so i thought, what the hell, take a chance. I would be in the building next door if I get this one.

I think I will ring them if I haven't heard by tomorrow. The consultants said not to call they they are mega busy, but I need to know if they have made a decision or not. I don't mind being second choice, I just hate being strung along.

Currently I work on a computer helpdesk, but they don't pay enough for the amount of oncall work they expect us to do. I wouldn't mind anything in computer support, training, etc.

I have my performance review next week, so we'll see what happens there.

By moonit on Wednesday, October 11, 2000 - 02:01 am:

is it Pyne Gould? Thru Manpower?

By NZA on Friday, October 13, 2000 - 03:31 am:

Bingo.

Bastards didn't return my call on Wednesday.

I had a great interview at the University yesterday. That would be a cool place to work - very relaxed, they pay for 12 points of study per year (like 2 minor courses or one major). It would be like being a student again, but not poor!

I had to drive there through the storm, avoiding all the fallen down trees and praying I didn't get blown off the road.

The application I did for the Dept of Courts was very helpful - the Uni people asked some of the same questions, so I had answers already sorted.

They will decide middle of next week. Wish me luck!

By Haywood on Friday, October 13, 2000 - 07:49 am:

Luck has been wished. Definately should have postponed the interview, there was ust cause and all. Fallen trees suck.

By NZA on Friday, October 13, 2000 - 08:26 pm:

I just didn't want to seem flaky - although the police were warning people to stay indoors unless it was absolutely necessary.

*thinking happy thoughts*

By NZA on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 11:34 pm:

Well, I've been reference checked by the Uni, and the Dept for Courts want me to go in tomorrow for cognitive testing. Yikes.

I have to remember some of Psyc101 to get through that I think.

Anyway, I guess that means they liked the crap i wrote on my application.

Also I heard the Pyne's haven't decided yet, and may want to interview again.

If I get offered all three, which should I take?

By moonit on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 01:45 am:

drew's friend Ged went to an interview at the Uni, but he decided if he got offered the job he probably wouldnt take it. Apparently they go thru IT and support staff like toilet paper.

PGG and DOC both seem like better places to work.

I imagine the courts may be more exciting than PGG.

By Isolde on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 08:57 am:

courts.

By Isolde on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 09:20 am:

Oh, and moonit, my dad says a package from New Zealand arrived at the house for me...he said he'll forward it to the PO here (since I work there, hopefully I'll get it). I'm very excited.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 12:39 pm:

speaking of addresses, Isolde, send me an address for this make-out tape deal you're running.

By Isolde on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 03:15 pm:

Well, the best way to get it to me, if you want to guarantee I'll get it, is this:
    S.E. Smith
    Box 82
    Caspar, CA 95420

If you want to take your chances and need me to get it right now, instead of when I'm onn holiday, try:
    S.E. Smith
    Bennington Station
    Bennington, VT 05201

As I say, it may or may not get to me via that address, since I still don't know if I'm moving and don't want to deal with ANOTHER forwarding order. My dad's been sending me stuff to Bennington Station and it gets there 2/3 of the time. But it would be better sent to CA.

By Tired on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 04:06 pm:

am I dumb?

I might need that damn tape after all.

Plus I've got some new tunes.

By Isolde on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 05:43 pm:

Yay! Send me a tape, yes, Tired.

By pez on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 10:17 pm:

tape's done, making special paper to write playlist on. should be in the mail by monday.

By moonit on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 01:05 am:

YAY! I tried to find you some vegan kiwiana things, you'll have to give the crunchie to geek boy to try (is he vegan? coz if he is then he wont be able to eat that either). You could be inventive with that crunchie tho and scrape the chocolate off and just eat the hokey pokey.

By Isolde on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 11:24 am:

Excellent. I'm sure geek boy will love it. He's omnivorous and teases me all the time. He's off somewhere odd, like NYC, where I couldn't go, because people are lame, and he just wrote me an email entitled "What, No Mayo?" Excellent.

By J on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 11:36 am:

"just eat the hokey pokey" hmmmmm that's what he said.

By moonit on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 12:41 am:

J email me your address and I will send you crunchies. It might take a while coz I am a slacker but they will come.

By J on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 11:40 am:

Bless your little heart:)

By Isolde on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 12:07 pm:

Who can be unhappy when you're eating hairy berry bites?

By semillama on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 12:36 pm:

I tried to convince my last girlfriend of the same thing.

By Isolde on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 12:52 pm:

Wel, I guess you had the wrong kind of girlfriend. What's wrong with her, that she could not appreciate the Hairy Berry Bites?

By moonit on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 08:03 pm:

wtf is a hairy berry bite?
    They sound furry?

By Isolde on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 08:10 pm:

I"m not sure, you're the one who sent them to me...

By moonit on Saturday, October 21, 2000 - 12:23 am:

did i? oh wait are they the kiwifruit lollie things?

By Isolde on Saturday, October 21, 2000 - 11:03 am:

They are, and they're excellent. They're crunchy and everything. I haven't tried them on anyone yet, geek boy gets back from NY tommorrow, maybe I'll foist them on him.

By moonit on Saturday, October 21, 2000 - 08:34 pm:

oh cool, i'm glad you like em. I hadnt tried them, I bought them at a touristy shop.

By Isolde on Saturday, October 21, 2000 - 08:47 pm:

I thought that might be the case. They're really yummy. I haven't tried the raspberry candy yet, but I think I'll like it on principal.

By NZA on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 01:39 am:

Well, latest update:

I went for Cognitive Testing at the DOC last Thursday. Two tests, to check logic and problem solving ability.

They had 5 of us in there in two sessions, so i saw half the people I'm up against. I think I was better than the others - more outgoing, less intimidated by the whole process.

The first test was really hard - they warned us that no one ever finishes it. I got more than 3/4 through, but was annoyed at myself because, although I'm no genius, I have great confidence in my ability. The questions ranged from verbal comprehension through to arithmetic, and got progrssively harder.

An example - If a skirt takes 2 1/4 yards of fabric to make, how many skirts can you make from 45 yards of fabric. No calculators! time pressure - answer as many questions as you can in 12 minutes!

I got that one wrong, but skipped on to answer a few more - it was about 2/3 through the test.

The second one was dead easy - logic problems. They had paragraphs of information and I had to decide whether the statements following were true, false, or couldn't say based on the information given. We had 30 minutes - I think I completed it in 20. I was easily the first one finished.

I'll call tomorrow for feedback on that.

Today I took up their invitation to come in for a casual chat to find out more about the position and where I would be working. I found out more about the formal interview - it includes a role play, where they give me a scenario, and have 4 people playing different roles to see how I interact with different types of people. I also learned you have to call the judges Sir or Ma'am.

I better study my tikanga Maori - they are bound to want to see some of that.

They other two have not contacted me again.

By Isolde on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 11:13 am:

Wow. That's very cool. The tests don't sound very fun, but it all sounds very interesting. How much Maori do you know currently, dare I enquire? Do you like it there? I mean, does it look like it would be a fun and interesting place to work...

By moonit on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 07:52 pm:

thats so weird how corporate new zealand
    wants people to know maori. i mean i can
    understand it and all - the culture reasons etc
    but maori is not a first language anymore.

Isolde, none of my friends are able to
    converse in maori.

we know words tho, and I used to tease Darcy
    about his puku. or if he was hungry he'd say
    'lets go get some kai' but thats about it.

You learn basic maori in school - how to
    count, the greetings, marae culture, games,
    flax weaving and if you want to take it on in
    high school you can - although not many
    people do.

By Isolde on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 09:30 pm:

That is odd, then, if it's not a common language. It would be like me learning Pomo in grade school, which I didn't because not enough people use it...odd.

By NZA on Saturday, November 4, 2000 - 04:41 pm:

I find it seems much more important in the government sector. I can understand the Dept for Courts being right into it, since they run the Maori Land Court and the Waitangi Tribunal.

I have an interview next Friday - 2pm-4:30pm. Do you think they allowed enough time???

In corporate NZ I've never had to use any Maori at all, and if I tried to open a meeting with a Karakia (prayer) at my current employment they would think I've gone mad.

I don't know much beyond a few words and greetings, but I have a friend who teaches at kindergarten, and she gave me a couple of karakia and waiata (songs) in case I need them. I think if they question me about it, I'll explain that I have the material, but never had the opportunity to use it. I think as long as I am open to it, they should be cool.

The interview guff they sent me explained the process if you take a whanau/support person. They certainly take it very seriously!

Plus they sent me a form giving them permission to check my non-existant police record. I asked them to send me a copy of anything they have on me too.

(I didn't get the Uni job - probably just as well ay Moonie)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact