I want to know if this has happened to anyone's hair

sorabji.com: What do you want?: I want to know if this has happened to anyone's hair
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By J on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 01:10 pm:

When I was born,my hair was curly,real curly,when I was in grade school,it was straight and stayed that way well into my old age,even if I curled it on hot rollers,it would eventually go straight.My hair was long for a long time,I usually wore it in a french braid cause it was easy and kept it out of my face,that worked for me.A couple of months ago,I got it cut,I told Brucifer that I wanted no maintence hair,I don't like messing with blow dryers or curling irons,hair gel,none of that stuff.I got a bob thats just a little past my shoulders,it looked really good when he was done.Anyway now my hair is wavy,real wavy,and I'm so pissed off,cause now I have to use a blow dryer and a special brush to make it straight,I have to work at it,and that's not right.Has this happened to anyone else? I was thinking maybe cause I braided it all that time,but it doesn't make sense,cause when it was long and I washed it,it was still straight.I'm letting it grow out,I just hate this.

By Czarina on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 09:09 am:

No,braiding it wouldn't have made it be wavy now,that would imply a learned behavior,and hair is incapable of retaining information.Probably,the weight of your hair,when it was long,kept the wave out of it.Call Brucifer,and ask his opinion,maybe he'll know what you can do.But I bet its cute in a bob.

By semillama on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 09:41 am:

Most things are cute in a "Bob."

By Kalli on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 11:07 am:

That happened to me too when I cut mine. I had straight straight hair down to my ass. I cut it short...like up against my scalp short. Now, if I try to grow it any longer than my typical spikey punky do, it ends up wavy as hell and looks awful. So I'm keeping it short and have for ummm seven or eight years now.

Think about doing super short hair. I mean, I don't know what you look like (some people can't pull off short hair just like some can't pull off long hair) but having it waaay short is completely easy. I get up in the morning, run some mucky stuff through it, and I can leave.

Two - Five minutes tops.

I'm out the door a half hour after waking up.

By patrick on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 11:40 am:

thats my kinda girl.

actually now, since im busing/subwaying my ass to work....i get up 15 min before i have to split. since im in bad need of a hair cut, i can't wash my hair in the mornings, it gets all wavy and really really really stupid looking. (pick any random 70s teen show and spy the brown haired boy...mwah)...so i goose it with a jizzload of gel, put on the old tobogan and head for the bustop. i guess my point is, since i have a bulk of hair, it tends to retain the position i sleep in....

im just not making any sense.

By crimson on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 02:54 pm:

i have long hair. i need to get a bit of it trimmed...but this post is kinda spooking me from ever cutting it short. not that i'd really want to get it cut too short. i generally dislike short hair (although i had a punk buzz cut once during my late teens & dyed my hair pink & blue).

i got a compliment on my hair last weekend. i didn't realize, at first, that the woman was talking to me. nobody every compliments my hair. in fact, most people cut it down. "such beautiful hair," the lady was saying. "red hair is my favorite." well, the last time anybody said anything about my hair, they called it a "nasty ginger-colored mop". i'm definitely not used to getting compliments about my hair. so i was almost ungracious to this lady's compliment. but when it finally dawned on me that she was addressing me, i looked up at her & smiled & thanked her. it made my day.

later that afternoon, i was in a flea market & walked past a full-length mirror. i looked up at my reflection & saw my shiny hair cascading past my shoulders & down my back. i just had to smile. somebody liked it. that's really cool.

standard schoolyard refrain while growing up:

"better dead than red in the head".

anyway, the longer my hair gets, the more it gets just the very slightest wave, near the ends. now it spooks me to think of what would happen if i got it cut short. maybe i'd end up looking like larry fine from the 3 stooges or something.

By Isolde on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 05:44 pm:

I have long hair too--I would ever cut it off.
    It's kind of wierd, a lot of the time I don't appreciate it and I think it's a pain in the ass, but sometimes I just look in the mirror and go...wow. People compliment me sometimes too, it feel kind of wierd, but I've kind of gotten used to it. It's a matter of pride for me--not very many people have hair that's as long as mine anymore.
    I trim it myself, usually, because I don't trust strange people with scissors around my head...

By crimson on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 06:11 pm:

i haven't had a haircut in years. i've had bad luck w/ stylists trying to cut it way shorter than i asked them to..."but nobody's wearing long hair like that anymore" they'll invariably say. i had a male beautician forcibly hold me in the chair one time, years ago, while he cut my hair short. he suddenly laughed & cut a huge hunk out of it & then said that i might as well sit still while he finished cutting it right. he said my hair looked so fucked up that it was his DUTY to cut it short. he said the same thing my folks always say--that i look like a damn hippie.

i want to have long hair when i'm an old lady. i want to have long, flowing silver hair.

By Cat on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 06:20 pm:

I love this kind of girlie discussion (Patrick doesn't count as a boy when it comes to beauty or shopping talk).

I was inches away from getting my hair all chopped off a few days ago. It's down past my bra strap at the back right now, but kind of shorter on the shoulders.

When I quit being a ballerina, the first thing I did, right after getting vomiting drunk, was cut my hair into a bob. It was liberating, but I felt naked.

I can't help liking the feminine thing of long hair. Besides, it's bloody easy to pop it up on top of my head for work.

Argghhhhhh, I should just do it - faster than some 12 year old Vietnamese can whip up a Nike - and stop obsessing. Such vanity.

By patrick on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 07:05 pm:

thanks cat, the wife says the same thing.
    actually i talked her into (well as much as i could) into growing her hair out. she had the pixie thing for so long, but when i met her she had the most beautiful, radiant, sexy red hair. so its been about two years now, and my god she is such a fox. sometimes, when we are out and about, and she has her boa on and her leather jacket, the flowing red hair is gorgeous. i just love long hair on women....

By Dougie on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 07:08 pm:

Yeah, one more vote here for long hair. But not too long, not down to the butt long, there's something freakish about that -- 3 inches below the shoulders is good. Nothing like a lady with a mane.

By TBone on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 11:40 pm:

I dunno... I like the short hair thing on a lot
    of women. Hot stuff, man...

Yow.

By Hal on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 06:57 am:

I have to agree with TBone on this one, I don't know something about a woman with short hair is sexy...

I've got a true no maintenence cut, its like a really short "TOP GUN Tom Cruise" cut. I wake up, its perfect, I get out of the shower its perfect, I wear a hat all day and take it off, its perfect...

No messing with anything, all you need is water and your hands if anything goes wrong.

By semillama on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 09:16 am:

Since cutting off my long flowing tresses years ago, I find that my preferred hairstyle is the Caesar cut. However, when I told the hairstylist this at Costcutters, she didn't know what I was talking about. Wanting to remain at least historically accurate, I said "You know, like Russel Crowe in Gladiator." She lit up and exclaimed "Oh! You mean like a Clooney!"

So now apparently, a hairstyle named after the greatest leader of the Roman Empire has been renamed after a second-rate actor.

My opinion on girls and hair: Long, short, straight, curly, whatever color, I like it. My only condition is that the person's hairstyle reflects that they have taste (no mullets or hair monsters) and self-esteem.

By Dougie on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 10:10 am:

Can girls have mullets?

By semillama on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 12:04 pm:

Haven't you ever heard of a fe-mullet?

By patrick on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 12:15 pm:

yeah after i got my dew chopped, the ceasar was my preferred get up, then i started thinking how queer it looked.....and desided i should bulk up. so lately I have the hugh grant thing going on.

By semillama on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 12:50 pm:

My hair is so damn curly and unruly though, I can't let it get any longer, especially with my receding (slowly) hairline. I wasn't called "Vanilla Fro" for nothing.

Anyway, it looks good on me, ya know.

By Hal on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 02:09 pm:

Chick Mullets.... Ahhh the country we live in, some times it can be so horrible.

By J on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 02:19 pm:

I asked Brucifer and he just gave me some b.s. about how your body renews it's self every 7 years,I can think of more than 14 years that it was straight,now I have to use hot rollers to make it straight,big ones,a real pain in my ass.Maybe Kalli was right,and the weight made it straight,as it is,I usually just put it in a pony tail,till it grows out more.I look good with short hair,but you have to keep getting it cut then,and I just don't like dealing with that. I'm going to grow my bangs out too,then I'm going back to my real hair color.I freak when I see girls that still have the big hair ,I call them helmet heads.

By patrick on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 02:29 pm:

its true.....your taste buds evol, allergies change....i used to be deathly allergic to pine and oak pollen, nowit doesnt bother me so much. i used to no be allergic to certan fruits, now I am...

By Antigone on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 03:37 pm:

I've heard that every cell in your body is replaced every seven years or so.

It makes an interesting image. Like a wave travels through water, we travel through cells. A wave keeps it's form, but it doesn't keep the same water molecules. So we keep our form, but the stuff changes, and in our lifetimes it changes completely several times. Only the pattern matters, not the stuff.

By Hal on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 04:01 pm:

Every cell in your body is not replaced every 7 years, thats a fucking myth.

The time frame is actually every 8 months your genetic structure copies and updates itself, thus replacing the cell structure in your body. Chinese medicine has revolved around this 8 month cycle for hundreds of years, and only recently modern science has discoverd it to be positive that the genetic code of a human being replaces itself every 8 months.

By TBone on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 04:19 pm:

Not all of the cells. You're born with all the
    brain cells you'll ever get.

And nerves too.

Scary, ain't it?

By Antigone on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 04:46 pm:

I should have been clearer. Every molecule in your body is supposedly replaced in that time. Of course, all I know of it is hearsay, and the time frame may well be different, but the concept itself seems plausible.

By Hal on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 07:27 pm:

Like I said Chinese medicine... Good stuff, gets the cause instead of the symtom... It takes longer but it cures better and more stuff at the same time...

Gotta love the chinese.

By agatha on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 10:39 pm:

I heard that sister spit were trying to start up a new trend amongst the young hip lesbians to bring the mullet back. I just couldn't do it, but I sure would like to see that happen.

http://www.sisterspit.org/

By moonit on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 11:19 pm:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

By Hal on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 02:12 am:

Oh agatha thats horrible... Mullets should be banned in the United States... They are one of those things that other countries look at us and laugh.

By moonit on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 02:21 am:

Mullets. A worldwide problem.

How can you help?

This is Steve. He's had his mullet since 1963. Along with his black orange tab levis, and worn out sports-shoe. His upper body wear consists of old vanished bands - the likes of Whitesnake and Poison.

You can make a difference to Steve's life.

Please - take out your wallet and call your local hairdressers. Make Steve an appointment.

Please.

By Hal on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 09:13 pm:

Or the easier way would be to get a high powered rifile and take his head off from a long distance... Keep him from breeding.

By Cris on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 11:41 pm:

By agatha on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 02:15 am:

other countries are huge on mullets, they are quite popular with latinamericans, scottish, irish, and british men in particular.

By moonit on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 09:39 pm:

mullets do exist in New Zealand.

i get scared sometimes.

By wisper on Thursday, March 1, 2001 - 03:37 pm:

yesterday the s.o. and i were perusing the local Zellers toy department, and i let him in on my secret dream of chopping my hair off in un-even patches (like a drunk got at me with a weed-whacker) and going a la' Robert Smith. Messy, hellish tornado hair 24 hours a day.
    "but i always wanted a girlfriend with long hair.." he said, grabbing my arm like a frightened child. My hair is ass-length purple and black. "you did?" "yes! i used to dream of it as a child.....i'm getting a boner just thinking about it....." and he truly was.
    it was all strangly cute.
    so the hair stays, safe for another day...but for how long?

By TBone on Thursday, March 1, 2001 - 04:06 pm:

I keep trying to get my s/o to cut her hair like
    that...

I met her with short, spikish hair, and she began
    growing it out right around the time she met me.
    Damn.

By Hal on Thursday, March 1, 2001 - 05:21 pm:

I like a girl with the short look... Long hair has never seemed THAT attractive to me, although I can't say there haven't been those few with long hair that just did the rigth things.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact