Sorabjifest 2001: New Orleans: OCTOBER 19-21

sorabji.com: What do you want?: Sorabjifest 2001: New Orleans: OCTOBER 19-21
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Nate on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 09:26 pm:

this seems to be the date i've seen the most. 19-21. let's make it official?

let's start planning.

are you coming? send me an email.

By agatha on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 12:11 am:

i hate you all.

By Nate on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 01:10 am:

i'm sorry.

let's make sorabjifest 2002 in bend, or.

By semillama on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 08:47 am:

Ok.

By patrick on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 11:17 am:

you guys can come over to my house agatha, we can play Uno and drink wine.

By Hal on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 11:37 am:

By TBone on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 12:07 pm:

Slow your roll, Hal. That's just a first draft.
    Not for sorabjiite consumption.

By Hal on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 12:57 pm:

Eat Hot Fuck.

You didn't give me a chance to post the second part...

THIS IS A DRAFT... FAR FROM COMPLETE. IT IS HOWEVER A TASTE OF WHAT THE FINAL SHIRT MAY LOOK LIKE. THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY.

By Nate on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 01:06 pm:

By semillama on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 01:26 pm:

I like that one. I think it would be good with just the "fucko!" part.

By sarah on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 02:12 pm:

here i am. it does feel like years.

barring natural disaster or death, i definitely will be in new orleans to meet up with heather in october. obviously nate and antigone are going to be there as well. can't remember if heather and i said the weekend before halloween (26th - 28th) or the weekend before that (19th - 21st). either is fine with me. heather's got a wedding to go to back east, and i can't remember when that is... heather?

once i get settled in austin - i'm thinking around mid-August when i'll moved into my little apartment and such - i'll have time to do more real planning. i've decided to stay mostly unemployed for the rest of the year, so i can hunt down airfares and accommodations for whomever is going to go.

nate, you're taking emails? what kind of arrangements are you thinking about?

of course, i would love to see agatha, dave., and cleo there, so here's an idea. we could all pitch in and help those guys get down there, if the weekend we choose fits in with their schedules. whatever you could donate... five bucks or fifty bucks, it doesn't matter. or if you're getting a hotel room down there, you could let them crash with you.

and dave., shut your mouth, i don't want to hear any crap from you about this ok? i don't think you guys are a charity case or anything, alright? it's not like that. in a sense, we here are family, and this is going to be a family reunion (sort of... i mean, there probably will be cheek pinching and portrait taking, but we'll all be naked), and you need to be there if it is at all possible. end of story.

ok, i gotta get back to packing boxes. moving company is coming tomorrow morning and i have a shitload of work ahead of me.

By patrick on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 02:20 pm:

if you wanted to help someone then you should probably do so in private, cause some of us others who can't make like it nico and myself might wonder whats wrong with us. *sniff*

(and shut it heather, i'll whine if i damn well feel like it.)

By sarah on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 02:31 pm:

oh, right. sorry about that. well, then alternatively, we can donate a huge pile of money and then divide it up evenly between all of those sorabjiites who need help getting there.

it's just a suggestion. i knew of course that it would cause trouble in some way, but maybe we can get past the obvious flaws of the idea and make it happen anyway.

By pez on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 02:41 pm:

if anyone on the west coast wants to roadtrip it, email me.

By patrick on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 02:49 pm:

its sweet of you to offer though sarah.

By TBone on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 02:53 pm:

We're not terribly far from you (Hal and myself).
    I was originally planning on driving, but Hal
    seems to want to fly.

I wouldn't mind driving. I like roadtrips. My
    car does not, however, have air conditioning.

By Czarina on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 02:54 pm:

I just emailed Nate.But I'll post it here,too.

I am thinking of ways to make this more possible for everyone to come.

I suggest that we find accomadations with kitchen amenities.I am willing to supply a variety of foodstuffs,that we can cook,ie.gumbo's, etouffees, etc.This will save a bundle,as eating out can be expensive.[I don't want to be the only one cooking,there are others here with culinary skills]

I am also willing to supply a variety of fifths of licquor,and mixes.This will save a lot of money,too,as drinks are expensive in the Quarter.

If we all work together,maybe this can work for everyone.

By heather on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 02:58 pm:

sarah!!!

yay.
    i was becoming concerned that you were developing better things to do than be in new orleans in october.

we've already beaten the dead horse of agatha and dave coming. it is pretty solid that they won't be coming.
    also hal and sem and maybe tbone are coming.
    czarina is making fancy plans of entertainment and documentation and i think j's in on it too.
    at one point rc stopped in and said she'd try to be there.

i hope i haven't left anyone out. my brain is feeling dispossessed.

By patrick on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:02 pm:

thats good of you to think of tbone.

the liquor idea is indeed smart. but if im having to chump change on food and liquor...i probably shouldnt be there to begin with.

im hoping things change, between now and then and we can make it.

if i were single....that would be no sweat...by the wifey has standards.

you should have seen her "camping". Our tent looked like a room the fucking Hyatt.

By Czarina on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:03 pm:

Heather,don't forget I've incorporated the help of another Sorabjite,too!We wouldn't want to leave anyone out of the mischief making,tee hee.

By heather on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:06 pm:

totally i was thinking if we could rent a house as a base, some people could crash there

also this other place i talked about with the asshole who runs it- it has a kitchen and a little pool. he'll only let 4 people stay at night though. but the price might be more than reasonable if it's available and it's pretty nice.

By Czarina on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:08 pm:

Stop this madness Patrick.Lots of people have to "chump change" at times.

My idea to help with food and licquor,was with the intent,that maybe more could come if they didn't have to worry about expenses when they get there!

By heather on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:08 pm:

patrick you made it clear that you wouldn't

i would be very happy if you changed your mind [it sounds like you're starting to]

By heather on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:09 pm:

czarina did you say who it was?

By Czarina on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:13 pm:

Alright guys,I'm going to meet Sem next Tuesday.I will be going through New Orleans.I have friends there.How about if I scope around,and see what I might be able to come up with?

Do you want me to check into finding a house that would hold us all? would you rather hotel rooms? Let me know,and i 'll see what I can come up with.

By Czarina on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:16 pm:

Oh Heather,no I didn't say who my other co-conspirator is.This person has been sworn to secrecy.Its not Sem,and I hope he doesn't weasel it out of me while I'm there.But if he does,I'll just have to swear him to secrecy,too!

By heather on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:19 pm:

a house for making food and for crashing for those who would be interested would be cool

not everyone has to stay there

By heather on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:20 pm:

what if i guess?

i think it won't be very hard

By Czarina on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:23 pm:

Try.......tee hee

By heather on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:25 pm:

people who talk about getting drunk and doing drugs all the time but can't scrape up for a weekend away are fucking whiners. so the fuck there.

don't be trying to shift my plans just because you're being a lazyass.

excuse me, i think i have a fever.

By patrick on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:25 pm:

madness?

what are you talking about?

nevermind, dont answer.

its not that im changing my mind heather. the only thing that would change are our personal circumstances.

if we come, we would in all likelyhood stay in a hotel.

By patrick on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:30 pm:

shifting your plans? what are you talking about?

no one is whining. im not complaining that i most likely wont be able to come...wtf are you crackpots talking about?

By heather on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:32 pm:

"(and shut it heather, i'll whine if i damn well feel like it.)"

By Czarina on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:34 pm:

Oh,hey!I just realized we haven't heard from Droopy.He's in the Houston area,thats just a hop skip and a jump from NO.

By Spider on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:36 pm:

Droopy will be with me.

By Czarina on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:39 pm:

Hey,Patrick,as I recall,I'm not the only one with friends in the film industry.Don't you have film crews coming to your apt?Wouldn't any of them be interested in doing a docu-drama on this most interesting melding of eclectic associates?
    I'm thinking publicity.This could help my book.I'll take free publicity anyway it comes.I'm pretty sure we have other artsy folks amongst us,who maybe could capitalize on free publicity.

By agatha on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:42 pm:

you guys are so sweet and kind. i'm not being sarcastic. i would really like to come, but it just doesn't seem feasible. i have to be on the east coast from the 5th to the 13th, and that will be literally all of my vacation time at work. the only way i could do it would be to only come for the weekend, and that just seems like a lot of money to spend for two days. i don't know. i wish it were some other time, but it seems like it works for just about everyone but us. in the meantime: who want to come up to nyc somewhere around the 10th to the 12th of october to hang with me? you know you want it!

By patrick on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:45 pm:

oh...

well im NOT trying to shift you plans..crackpot.

the best deal i could get from United was $264/person/roundtrip

so $500+ in airfare.

a hotel room $80+/night x2 nights

its not so much about the money, thats just an easy excuse.

we don't spend nearly as much on drugs or booze as you might think heather.

well, you know, i havent even asked nico if shes interested.

i got an idea of what she'll say, but let me ask her and she if she wants to make this work.

By patrick on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:48 pm:

i doubt it czarina.

i've only had a film crew in my house once, and they were my friends.

im not sure anyone would care about this other than us.

of course you could hire a crew...

publicity = free
    marketing = $$$$$

By Czarina on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:57 pm:

Agatha,I would like to come.I would love to meet Cleo.And you and Dave.But now I'll be broke after this.But I am going to be making a trip to either NYC of San Francisco sometime this summer.Aren't you guys in the Seattle area?I'm not sure I could handle Seattle yet,last time I was there was with the artist,and I turned down his proposal[kicking self in head, ass, and any other vulnereable body parts]

But one day I'm gonna go and close that chapter of my life.Then maybe I'll be able to return to the Pacific Northwest,which is where I really want to be. :)

By spunky on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 04:01 pm:

Damn, it sounds like you guys are working up a blast

By Antigone on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 04:11 pm:

What's this "you guys"? You're invited too, spunkmeister.

By Czarina on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 04:26 pm:

Yea,Spunkenheimer,we could definately use your input.Please reconsider.Nobody will be behaving on this bus trip.You wouldn't want to miss that,would you?

By spunky on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 04:34 pm:

I would like nothing better, however, I do have to maintain my security clearence, and they tend to frown on such fun

By semillama on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 04:55 pm:

B.S.

Total B.S.

Don't forget Antigone will be there too. I meet with him after I meet with Czarina. I'll be staying in the cheapest hotel that I could find nearest the 1/4 that isn't a fleabag on Saturday night.

I think the next one of these should be held on the west coast, since it seems that a lot of those who can't attend live there and it would be easy for them.

Jeezus, how can this be passed up? You're going to have Nate, Sarah, J, Czarina, Antigone, Heather, Tbone, Hal, me, and the Mystery Sorabjiite (whom I propose we refer to as "Mystery Meat" for the time being) at least, all in the SAME PLACE. Come on now.

By pez on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 05:00 pm:

me too. i'm working on it.

by the way, i can cook. hope nobody minds veggie meals, because i ain't touching meat.

By patrick on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 05:11 pm:

since our finacial near future is uncertain because of nico's entrepreneurial endeavors ...i'm going to leave this as a "maybe".

we should know after August, if we can book it.

though you might save some bucks....the grub along Bourbon street is so worth it.

By patrick on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 05:12 pm:

by the way...any chance the saucy aussie can make it?

By Nate on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 05:16 pm:

and spider. spider must come.

By spunky on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 05:21 pm:

I want to meet you all, some of you very much.
    But I cannot go

By pez on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 05:21 pm:

nate, i just sent you an email.

checkit.checkit.checkit.checkit.

By Dougie on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 05:26 pm:

Amusez-vous bien là-bas, tous!

By patrick on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 05:26 pm:

nico....

a lot of my friends on sorabji are gathering in New Orleans in the October...to hook up, get drunk...and maybe even naked...

wanna go?

your worm

hi worm

well yes i'd love to go, but can't make any decisions at this stage.

love nico

there ya have it.

By Antigone on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 05:40 pm:

Saucy aussie is gonna be in Singapore at the time, patrick.

By sarah on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 05:51 pm:

i'll grab droopy and bring him on my way up. fer sertin'.

By Cat on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 05:55 pm:

That is such a coincidence because I'm going to be in Ho Chi Minh City at the time.

I shall bring you all back souvenirs if you're good comrades.

By Cat on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 05:57 pm:

Lucky Sarah. I always suspected it would be quite fun to grab Droopy.

By Czarina on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 07:59 pm:

Oh good Sarah,we need Droop.Cat I know we all really wish you could come.Is there any chance you could rearrange your schedule?I realize this is asking alot,as you are literally half way around the world,but well,lets face it,its doubtful that you'll ever find a more eclectic group meeting in such a decadent city for God only knows what kind of decadent group activities!Please,please see if you can come,you saucy aussie.

By pez on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 03:15 am:

say it.

saucy aussie.

even the sound is naughty.

By sarah on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:22 am:

pez, you have to make it and you're required to bring everyone smints.

mark thomas can bring pork chops and the digicam. mark is going to be there, right?

i'm bringing a couple cases of Zima.

shit. which reminds me. while i was in california i ground scored - among other things, including a silver and ruby ring and a long purple dress - some unopened bottles of a product i had never seen before - Smirnoff "Ice", which turned out to be lemon flavored malt liquor. no vodka. too sweet. quite possibly a chick drink. don't bother.

my bedroom is nearly empty. my carport is full of boxes and some odd pieces of furniture.

fuck this is all so weird. by the time i get settled in austin i'm going to *need* this trip to New Orleans. hurricanes and gumbo and live jazz and sorabjiites. look out.

By spunky on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 08:36 am:

Speaking of Smints, I think Cat sent me some at one time or another, I had never heard of them before. But the other day I was in a quick trip (convenience store chain) and there they were! in all their glory.
    They were also at a Big Lots out here, which is a close out store. 3 for a dollar...

By semillama on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 09:33 am:

Pez: veggie fare is fine as long as the amount of protien is close to the amount of carbs. You better know your deal with soy protein. Plus, I'm sure that us omnivores will be hitting various joints for our fix o' flesh.

By Spider on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 10:06 am:

Nate: no. I have a sensitive conscience.

By Antigone on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 10:38 am:

Two days ago I got three cases of smints in the mail from spain: mint, lemon, and wild berry flavors.

I'll order some more for the festivities.

As far as Mark goes, all we can do is ask him. But, he'll be there...one way or another...

By semillama on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 11:15 am:

What's this sensitive conscience stuff?

I think most people have a conscience problem by NOT coming...

By Kalliope on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 11:27 am:

I'm in. (Even though I ditch all of you for months at a time.) Never been to New Orleans and its not too far away.

Anyone roadtripping from the southern eastcoast?

kall1ope@yahoo.com

By Nate on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 11:30 am:

no kidding spider. jeez.

By Czarina on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 11:31 am:

Antigone,put me down for the wild berry smints.I've never had that flavor,but they sound yummy.

And if someone is bringing Zima,that means that Dougie will be there,right?

By patrick on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 11:32 am:

you were gonna call me like....10 years ago kalli...what up with that?

and uh.....

you could probably leave the Zima and Smirnoff Ice at home....that shit is nasty.

Tequiza, Zima, Smirnoff...fuck when will they stop.

By Czarina on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 11:34 am:

Your vote doesn't count unless you come Patrick.
    Any news from Nico?

By patrick on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 11:37 am:

most likely we will be there. i can probably confirm next week.

By semillama on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 11:37 am:

Cool, now every sorabjiite who wussed out on meeting me before can buy me a beer.

I hear the twisted tea stuff is actually pretty good.

By Spider on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 11:38 am:

"I think most people have a conscience problem by NOT coming..."

There's most people, and then there's me. Suck it in.

By Czarina on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 11:41 am:

Spider,theres no chance you could come?

By Spider on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 11:44 am:

No.

By Czarina on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 11:48 am:

Would you like to come,and just can't,or do you prefer not to be there?

By spunky on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 11:56 am:

I like Zima, and cannot stand the taste of any beer...

By patrick on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 12:01 pm:

you're a pussy spunky.

come to NO...we'll learn ya some beer.

By Czarina on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 12:03 pm:

Only a Spunkenweenie would be a no show!

By spunky on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 12:04 pm:

I cannot drink. Gives me migraines so bad I end up in hospital. even wine. an hour after drinking a small glass of whine, and whamo, off the the er i go. And I never go to the doctor. ask my wife

By patrick on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 12:12 pm:

are you allergic to alcohol?

By TBone on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 12:13 pm:

Those suck. bad.

What do they give you? A good shot of imitrex
    usually does it for me, though it's nastybad if I
    don't get the shot in early enough.

By Nate on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 12:23 pm:

hey spider, what if some how we could pay for your airfaire, accomidations and food, plus pay you your current hourly rate or hourly rate equivelent for every hour you were in NO?

By heather on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 12:26 pm:

also a costume

and promise not to try and figure out who in the crowd is you

perhaps we should leave her alone

By patrick on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 12:26 pm:

i remember when Imitrex was still in development at Glaxo. I was working for the Cardiovascular Research Dept as an intern at the time. There was this 30-something administrative gal there that I was sure wanted to get in my 17 year old pants. She wore kinda slutty make-up. She was a big trekkie and talked endlessly about how kinky trekkie conventions were. She loved Zepplin. Mustangs and smoked mucho ganja. I even went to her house one night and partied with her and some dude. I thought for sure they were gonna put the make on me.

And you know...I probably would have done it all.

17 year old boys are messed in the head.

By wisper on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 01:02 pm:

Imitrex is scary $$$. My mother uses it often.

why is it that the first time in 3 years i go on vacation, sorabjifest actually happens? We've been talking about this for years, you jerks. I'm going to B.C. that week. I can't believe it.

By bored p-money dope dog on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 01:04 pm:

is anyone opposed to New Orleans burlesque?

here?

here?

this place sounds kinda fun too.

Snake 'N Jakes Christmas Club Lounge
    7612 Oak St.
    504-861-2802

Snake 'N Jakes definitely wins the dark bar award. When you enter this drinking establishment in a seemingly sketchy Uptown neighborhood you are going to stumble into the lowest lit bar you've probably ever encountered. With a giant Christmas wreath hanging over the door, from the outside Snake 'N Jakes looks like a crumbling shack that a mild wind or a topsy drunk could easily knock over. Inside, the low lit lounge has all the ambiance of a 70s blaxploitation film. There is a narrow bar, darkened walls, low ceilings, and plenty of R&B and classic soul on the juke. You can practically imagine all the dirty deals that once went down. Or, who knows, may still. As a hole-in-the-wall, it rates high on the club crawler circuit, keeping its doors open until dawn. The interior looks the same as it did during the 50s. The bartenders are amazingly slow. Though a couple of homeboys were working the door, the crowd was lily white, young and hip, and getting steadily intoxicated as the early hours wore on. As Blanche Dubois opined, "I like the dark. It's comforting." Exactly our sentiments about the friendly, one-of-a-kind Snake 'N Jakes Christmas Club Lounge.

By spunky on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 01:06 pm:

I am not alergic to it, it just sets it off.
    so does cheese, shrimp, chocolate, coffee, etc.
    I had a bad reaction to imitrex, it set me off.
    I cannot take it.
    The ER gives me a coctail of different meds (all non-narcotic) via IV, then give me a script for either vicadin, if I am too out of it to tell them no, because it gives me mega bad bounce back headaches, or Furonal with coedine

By wisper on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 01:22 pm:

cheese, shrimp AND chocolate?
    damn.

damn damn damn

By semillama on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 01:32 pm:

Spider couldn't blend in and disappear. I've met her already, and trust me, you know who she is the second you lay eyes on her. Not that she looks weird because she doesn't look wierd, but something of her mannerism that comes across on this page you can somehow sense in person.

Although, she talks faster than you would think. That's different.

Well, if she don't wanna go, she don't wanna. That's perfectly OK, it's just our loss.

Hey, has anyone notified Margret or swine about this?

By patrick on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 01:47 pm:

our loss indeed.

By Nate on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 01:47 pm:

well, you're her husband sem. i guess we have to take your word for it.

By sarah on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 01:51 pm:

that's why i thought nate was a 17 year old boy when i first started reading the boards.

By pez on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 01:52 pm:

well.....

i can bring a big fat choclate cake from scratch.

been noshing on a lot of fried eggs lately. protein bars. peanut butter.

i get sleepy if i don't have enough protein.

i found "the happy hempsters hemp lip balm" at nature's yesterday. maybe i'll bring some of that, and candied ginger.

By sarah on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 01:53 pm:

does anyone remember where margret lives? new mexico? or did she and her boy move? kev and i are driving through the southwest late next week...

By patrick on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 01:54 pm:

she's in Albuqurque right?

By semillama on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 02:13 pm:

I think Agatha knows.

By spunky on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 02:20 pm:

Let me clarrify a bit:
    Cheese Shrimp and Chocolate (sourdough bread also)CAN contribute to migraines.
    Alcohol DOES bring on migraines.

By pez on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 02:30 pm:

ouch.

i'm just hoping those things aren't hereditary.

By agatha on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 02:52 pm:

she's in albequerque, but she's coming to visit me really soon!

i am still hating you all. it's just not fair.

i miss you, sarah. come join the argument on dumbass.

By pez on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 02:53 pm:

you're not going, agatha?

if you want to join the roadtrippers, email me.

By patrick on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 02:54 pm:

whats dumbass?

i wanna argue.

By agatha on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 03:34 pm:

By Nate on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 03:35 pm:

fuck off, patrick. we can argue here.

why don't you make a death in the family story and come, agatha? jesus christ. it's easy.

By patrick on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 03:42 pm:

oh hell

thats too much trouble to post.

fucko

i dont know what we could argue about.

i was searching the news for something racey to discuss, but nothing came up.

By agatha on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 03:45 pm:

you could just read it...

nate's mad at me. fuck you, nate, don't be mad at me!

By Nate on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 03:49 pm:

WHY THE HELL NOT? YOU WANT TO COME? COME! FOR CHRISSAKES STOP BLAMING US FOR YOU NOT WANTING TO COME. EVERYONE WANTS TO SEE YOU AND DAVE AND CLEO. YOU'RE FAILING US, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. GODDAMNIT FUCK CUNTCRAP SHITFUCING ASSSFUCKBITEFUCKER.

By Spider on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 03:54 pm:

Agatha, please send me your street address so I can send you Christmas in July.

By agatha on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:12 pm:

I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT THAT, MUTHAFUCKACOCKSUCKA.

i can't come because my sister is getting married two weeks before that, and i only have so much vacation time alloted. the only way i could come would be just for the weekend.

nate, mwah.

spider, i will send it to you tonight. mwah to you too.

By Nate on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:21 pm:

everyone is coming just for the weekend.

why am i mad at you then? i forget?

By agatha on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:27 pm:

really? just for the weekend? hmmm.

why do you feel like being mad at me? you pick.

By Nate on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:32 pm:

i don't feel like being mad at you.

i'm pretty sure sem is coming just for the weekend. patrick and nico if they come.

i dnno.

By semillama on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:50 pm:

That's the only way I can come, Agatha.
    i wouldn't be surprised if that's how most of us are doing it.

By spunky on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:12 pm:

Are you taking your polaroid? Gotta scanner?????

By patrick on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:19 pm:

if we go , which we most likely will, we'll be coming for the weekend, arriving Friday, leaving Sunday afternoon.

and yes...i will have a polaroid handy.

now...about Nawlins burlesque.....

By Nate on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:33 pm:

i'm in.

By Dougie on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 06:05 pm:

Sorry Czarina, as tempting as mass quantities of Zima sounds (even though I've never tried it -- I'm the one who was extolling the virtues of Tequiza) I won't be able to make it. But you kiddies go ahead and have yourselves a swell time.

By Czarina on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 09:35 pm:

Sorry Dougie,I didn't mean to get your drinks mixed up.Maybe you can reaarange your schedule?

By Dougie on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 01:29 pm:

Could be, Czarina. One never knows. Even if my schedule was clear though, I'm torn between wanting to keep you all imaginary and anonymous, and meeting you all in person.

By semillama on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 02:44 pm:

This is gonna be crazy. Maybe we should really see if we can't get some big place for the weekend, it may be cheaper (Bulk rate!).

By agatha on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 02:50 pm:

live with recklessness

$255 round trip. that would efficiently use that random tax return money i should be receiving. monday at work would suck ass.

hmmm.

By Nate on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 04:06 pm:

AMEN.

it's time to explode, boys and girls.

By semillama on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 04:16 pm:

you know you want to....

That tax return I hadn't thought of. I think we should all put that away to help pay for travel.

By Jim aka Pajama on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 08:57 am:

Hmmmmm.... well ghee... how could I pass up what appears to be an actually happening sorabjifest???

Anyone driving from the east coast down?

I might even be able to pursuade PetRock to travel down too.

wheeeeeeeeeeeee.

Do the "Eat Hot Fuck" t-shirts come in Lane Bryant sizes? LOL

By TBone on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 09:51 am:

My returns are long since squandered. But they
    were pretty tiny anyhow.

The more the merrier, Jim!

By patrick on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 11:38 am:

we're in.

im open for hotel suggestions....sem, you've been before...where did you stay. czarina any suggestions? I want someplace interesting and fair priced.

By Hal on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 11:52 am:

Actually I may have found something but I could use some help looking again because I can't find it any more...

Apparently somewhere in New Orleans there is a place that rents houses for 5-30 days fully furnished for reuinions and the like... I think that would be a fucking awsome idea.

I just can't find the shit any more and don't remember how I found it in the firstplace... So Get looking people and we can all stay in one big house, think about it.

It will be all of us and several sticks of butter.

By Nate on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 11:58 am:

as long as everyone is up for group sex.

i don't want to be the one losing the deposit, though.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 12:00 pm:

right

im pretty sure we'll get our own room, at some semi-swanky hotel.

something about slutty hotel sex.

By Hal on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 12:04 pm:

Well its a suggestion... More of a cost save then anything because from what I understand they aren't that expensive.

By Jim aka Pajama on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 12:23 pm:

Group sex. Mmmmmm.

By heather on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:02 pm:

Mazant Guesthouse
    906 Mazant Street, New Orleans, LA 70117, at Burgundy Street (944 2662)
    Bus 82 Desire, 89 St Claude. Rates $29-$39. No credit cards.

Hotel services Continental breakfast. Kitchen. Laundry. No-smoking rooms. Parking.

Bywater is an old working-class neighbourhood near the docks. Sprinkled through the single- and double-shotguns are big, spreading houses such as the 1883 Mazant Guesthouse, once home to the prosperous bourgeoisie. Popular with young Europeans and travellers of all ages with a bohemian inclination, the Mazant offers the basics (bed, bath, shelter from the elements) with an unaffected congeniality. There are 11 rooms, six that use the hall bathrooms. Furniture includes some period pieces and sturdy 1950s survivors. Only the bedrooms are air-conditioned; the rest of the house is cooled by big windows and ceiling fans. Nearby attractions include funky music bars such as Vaughan's Lounge.

By Hal on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:18 pm:

THATS IT!!!!!

By sarah on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:33 pm:

agatha, i miss you too. i can't dumbass, sorry... i haven't been on a computer in days.

can you favor me? ask marge if i can have her phone number because we're going to be driving right through alberquerqueqkiea or however you spell it, and i want to see if she can meet up with me and kev for supper or whatever. i don't have her email and i'm computing from my dad's PC (mine's on its way to austin). then email me (linked below) with her phone number or have her email me with her phone number. if she wants.

i'll probably be arriving in New Orleans thursday night, the 18th.

why haven't we heard from droopy? daniel sssss?

my flight leaves tomorrow. i'll be back here sometime around the end of the month, or early august after i've moved into my new place.

heather, email me everything and keep me posted.

if anyone needs me (har har) you can use my work email address, which they're keeping for me because i'm on contract, which i can access on the web from anywhere. yay!

ok. love you all. i'm outtie.

By J on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:34 pm:

I'll bring pot and vodka.

By Czarina on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 02:58 pm:

I'll bring restraints.

By Cat on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 04:58 pm:

Thanks Czarina, for wanting me. You don't know how much I adore being wanted. And I want you right back.

When the whole Soraborgy thing came up, I said not the end of October 'cause it's the only time all year I really have to be someplace.

But I'm over your way pretty much once a month now, so I'll be catching you on the flip side. Keep yourself pretty, just in case.

By pez on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 05:23 pm:

bleeeeeeeeeeah.

too much planning. my head hurts...too much catching up.

By Czarina on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 05:43 pm:

Now I feel wanted and adored,and thats just a dandy feeling!Any time you're in my neck of the woods,let me know,and we'll do an improv Sorabjifest.

And hey! What about Crimson,Pilate,Pug and that adorable little tyke,Oswald jr?Anybody heard from them?

By moonit on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 01:29 am:

you all suck

dont think i'll be spending my lotto winnings* on visiting all and bringing kiwiana.

bastards

*actual lotto winnings to date - $24.
    #actual chance of ever getting to the us - nil.

By Czarina on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 02:02 am:

I could come and get you in my little rubber boat.

But you'd have to wear a pirate hat.
    [which I will supply]

By Daniel ssss on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 09:19 am:

I'm here, everyday, just not posting. There's almost too much to read, on a weekly basis, so I try daily to review the day's posts. I've been travelling alot, and crazy busy since returning from the beach. And, I just have little to say.

What little I have to say to anyone these days is going into the book on shame. I am up to the deadlines now. I am the second writer of several to "nearly" acheive a draft of my section, and I am editor of the whole book too, a complicating factor in my life.

So. October 19 and 20 finds me delivering a paper on compulsive gambling and facilitating a workshop on alternative and complementary medicine at a conference in the Ozarks.

I very nearly want to cancel my obligations (which are extant since April 2001) in order to attend to you all in NO. Certainly you will be needing an addictions counselor there.

Thanks for asking, girl. No one else seemed concerned that I had dropped out of sight. I confess I miss posting, shucking n jiving with you younger folks, but there's missing some of you in email too, a little harder on the ol goat herder.

Anyway, Sarah, you made me smile. You always do. Best of luck in your move. Door's open for you and Kevin at Christmastime for sure. ANybody else too.

By Spider on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 09:37 am:

Daniel, when you have the chance, please tell us more about your book on shame.

By crimson on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 10:01 am:

czarina, i'm still out here. so's pilate & the whole crew. but pilate's been seriously busy, which means that he hasn't been bringing oswald by quite as often (although i may get to see him today). pug's modem is still hopelessly fried & he can't post unless he comes here, which is only about once a week. as for me, it's been really hectic so i haven't been posting as much as usual. i'm actually having to use the computer for WORK purposes, how scary. but rest assured that we're all still out here being our usual charming selves, bettering humanity w/ our positive outlook & sunny demeanor.

oh, and thanx for the card, J!

By heather on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 11:02 am:

the real question,
    can you come to new orleans?

yesyes?

By Hal on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 11:32 am:

Daniel ssss we notice, we just don't say anything because if you dissapere from Sorabji its for one reason or another you had two. I've dissapered before, right after I moved...

I checked, no one loves me.

By Daniel ssss on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 11:52 pm:

Spider, thanks for asking.

A group of us have been accumulating data for years regarding our clients' attitudes toward shame, how it may precipitate or result from addictive behaviors, dysfunctional upbringings, or even unavoidable traumas. I'm writing on addiction and shame, countering Bradshaw's black and white absolutism, and on addiction, or rather, a unified theory of addiction in the last century since Freud and Jung. I'm up against theorists who have been treating addicts since I was a two year old (cf. Dewey Jacobs, Loma Linda Medical School)

Others are writing about shame on Madison Avenue, advertising in general, and thin as goal, dietary and physical-allopathic-medical views toward shame specifically as they relate to eating disorders. We have some great instruments (survey, t-f, weighted scaled attitudinal scales) and the like to develop a practical approach toward clinical considerations of shame in and outside of treatment settings.

Any more and you'll have to buy the book.

Hal, do you mean I had "two" reasons?? which btw I did. And it's not about being loved or unloved; it is about peanut butter and sushi and freshly cut organic tomatoes slathered with pepper and salt and mayo and balsamic vinegar, and garnished by freshly cut and washed basil leaves and white mushroom caps.

That's what it's about. I wouldn't know about the satisfaction of sorabjilove. Censure yes.

By Spider on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 08:25 am:

Daniel, let me know when the book is out and how I can get it. I'd like to read it. Shame is my invisible siamese twin.

By patrick on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 11:52 am:

yeah. me too.

i have some shame issues i cant seem to shake.

i realized last night i probably need counseling

By Spider on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 12:23 pm:

Daniel, Patrick and I could be case studies for you. Between the two of us, we've got sexual abuse, chemical abuse, mental illness, and suicide. We're gold mines!

By patrick on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 12:26 pm:

totally.

don't forget denial.

i don't abuse chemicals...i USE them

By Kalli on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 03:47 pm:

Alright alright. I thought you were all kidding about this, but looks like you're getting it together. I'm in if Patricks in and double bonus if Nate's in.

Jesus fuck. Amtrak from Richmond to New Orleans is a long ass trip. 25 hours straight trip??? WTF? $843.00 w/ sleepers? HAAAAAAAAAAAH

Ok. 300.00 round trip on Southwest if I catch a bus up to Baltimore.

Christ you people better be worth it.

I'm in.

Someone split a hotel with me tho. And if anyone's driving from the East Coast..I make a kick ass road trip companion.

By patrick on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 03:50 pm:

if spider came, she's in DC...she could pick you up.

By patrick on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 03:52 pm:

yeah you would think it cheaper to take a train. the problem is, Amtrak is still paying for that high speed rail service from DC to Boston. They also lost govenment subsidizing in the last year if I am not mistaken.

I love taking trains, but Im afraid the auto industry, and the airline industry will put them under. Also, their service is limited because companies like CSX are tight asses about allower passenger trains on some of their freight rails.

By Kalli on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 04:00 pm:

Spiders in DC? Ok. Lets rent a car girly. I hear its only 17 hours straight through. (And I'm sure I can sucker one of my Richmond possee into tagging along too to split driving.)

By Spider on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 04:31 pm:

Spider is not coming.

HEY! LISTEN! SPIDER IS NOT COMING.

By patrick on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 04:34 pm:

sorry kalli i should have told you, shes not coming, for no apparent reason.

we've been giving her a hard time about cause we all dig her so, but she ain't comin for no apparent reason

"If she ever comes now now, if she ever comes now now, if she ever comes nowwwww......

"now...if she ever comes now now, if she ever comes now now, if she ever comes nowwwww..."

By Nate on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 04:50 pm:

i've been thinking, spider...

if you're not at sorabjifest2001, who's going to keep us from exploding into excess? who's going to help us avoid the various stages of drunken orgy?

tell us, spider? you, our pillar of morality, abandoning us in our time of need.

By TBone on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 04:56 pm:

I'd do it, but I'm generally spineless. Hal's probably only been unsuccessful in getting me drunk because he hasn't really tried very hard.

We need you, Spider.

By Hal on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 05:49 pm:

Which I shall try harder from now on.

Count on it.

oh and in New Orleans you damn well better be sure your getting intoxicated, otherwise your not coming home.

By TBone on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 05:50 pm:

Fucko.

By Kalli on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 01:02 am:

I've found a ride from DC. Found a few friends who the minute I said "orleaaaaaaaanz" said "hells yes"

intoxication and a digi cam to record it all down.

Anyone else need a ride from the east coast?

I promise not to sing in the car.

a lot.

maybe some old man river.

that seems to be a classic.

By pez on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 01:50 am:

hal, don't count on me to drink either.

though i might.

if it tastes okay.

By Spider on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 08:12 am:

Nice try. Fuckos.

Kids, you don't listen to me here. Why would you listen to me in person?

By Antigone on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 10:30 am:

Because you'd dazzle us with your personal magnetism!

Please come, Rhi...

Please, please, please.

By patrick on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 12:03 pm:

why NOT spider???

By Spider on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 12:21 pm:

You know why not! You want me to have an outburst??

By TBone on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 12:22 pm:

Puhleeeeese?

We like you. A lot. C'mon.

By Spider on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 12:47 pm:

If you think I'm playing hard to get, you're wrong. Knock it off.

By Antigone on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 12:52 pm:

Please?

By patrick on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 12:53 pm:

i dont know why spider.

if it was stated somewhere, maybe i missed it.

i dont think you are playing hard to get.

and i dont want you to have an outburst.

By J on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 12:54 pm:

I think she's shy,so knock it off.

By patrick on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 01:03 pm:

im not buying that.

By agatha on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 01:33 pm:

i suspect she doesn't want to be in an environment which has the potential to get a bit out of control, but i'm just guessing.

By patrick on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 01:35 pm:

i dont think ANYTHING is going to get out of control.

we'll realize what a bunch of pussies we all are.

By Nate on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 01:35 pm:

maybe she's afraid that even the saints won't be able to save her if she's in the same room with sem again.

either way, leave her alone. she won't be convinced.

By agatha on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 01:46 pm:

on a side note, i am having a one night restaurant at my house tomorrow night, and i am fretting a bit over it.

By Nate on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 01:52 pm:

mexican buffet.

m?

"though i might.
    if it tastes okay."

i am the chick drink master. you'll be drunk, pez. you'll be drunk.

By patrick on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 01:54 pm:

im having nothing to do with minors and drinking.

oh, wait, its NO, shes legal.

By cyst on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 01:59 pm:

I think I'm going to come by agatha's tomorrow afternoon before the restaurant opens. you know, when the host is getting ready for something really difficult and involved, that's the best time for an out-of-town guest to drop in.

you can get anything you want at agatha's restaurant.

I will sample the food and report back to you all.

I am going to travel up the I-5 corridor. mexican food in olympia, housewarming/utah day party in tacoma, steve fisk show in seattle.

By agatha on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 02:05 pm:

if we're not in good shape by the time you get here, cyst, then we're pretty much screwed anyhow. we will be busy, but not too busy for the pleasure of your company.

yes, mexican buffet, did i tell you this already, nate?

should i run the menu by y'all?

By Antigone on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 02:06 pm:

Please?

By agatha on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 02:18 pm:

twist my arm. (input is welcome...)

minted melon slices
    green bean salad w/garlic, olive oil, lemon juice,salt/pepper
    black beans
    pintos
    tamales
    tortillas
    cornbread
    herbed corn on the cob
    rosemary roasted potatoes
    spanish rice
    cali red rice salad w/basmati rice, radishes, red bell pepper, red onion, beets, chives, dill, horseradish, etc.
    grilled veggies: summer squash, zucchini, leeks, asparagus
    fresh homemade salsa
    condiments: yogurt, lime, onions, cilantro, cabbage
    cinnamon cookies
    jugo de fresco- yummy watermelon juice
    coffee
    cinnamon pinwheel cookies
    whatever other baked goods my sister the baker wants to make...

can you all think of anything redundant/missing?

By patrick on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 02:19 pm:

tequilla

By agatha on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 02:21 pm:

heh. can't do that. it's illegal as it is...

By J on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 02:30 pm:

My God, Agatha I'm amazed,and wish I could get my ass over there,it sounds wonderful,Dave is a lucky man.

By agatha on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 02:34 pm:

dave is actually probably fleeing the premises. he doesn't like this idea at all.

By patrick on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 04:02 pm:

you seem to be outdoing yourself agatha.

interesting idea.

no meat huh?

no mole sauce?

id be so impressed with mole.

but im not coming.

the corn, rosemary taters and green bean salad sound delish!

By Nate on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 04:06 pm:

meat!! where's the meat?!

By patrick on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 04:07 pm:

oh and good choice on the condiments. i love plain yogurt and of course onions and cilantro

you should have some kick ass table hot sauce handy like tapatio...or that funny brand with the sombreros for caps.

By Daniel ssss on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 04:21 pm:

Out of control??? OUT OF CONTROLL???? Soraj-bites? Never. Although as a non drinker non smoker non user type, I can see the difficulty of being the designated sober person for you all...

May be I should change my plans and come.

First of all, I COULD do research on shame at the sorabjifest, couldn't I? Secondly, I COULD expose my gentle quiet noncaustic demeanor to the raucous ribald rolicking humor from tens of, nay hundreds of nekkid sorabjites vibrating, and gyrating to sallow smokey sounds of tentative first, second, and multiple meetings of the collective mind. Third, I COULD help pick up the pieces and identify the bodies to the authorities post holocaustic sorabjifestic activities.

So I COULD be as useful as Spider IF I COULD get there. I trust my sobriety enough to enter the arena, and it wouldn't be a concern. I'm just not certain I could convince the police I wasn't just as guilty as the rest of you when sex, drugs, rocknroll, and weapons, armaments, and armgeddon mentalities converge on New Orleans. I can see why Czarina is taking a barge to Baton Rouge...

What about everyone wearing ID bracelets with next of kin noted?

But alas! You folks will have a wonderful time and I am jealous.

Hey Patty et. al., any personal insights you (any of you) want to share about shame and addiction, send them anonymously to me c/o either the website or my hotmail mailbox. (No fair putting Nate's or Sem's or Swine's names on every entry...) Just use "shame entry" in the subject line so I won't autodelete. I'll start a string here, and we can vote on the most shameful entry. Whaddya think?

By pattyfuck on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 04:22 pm:

ok

By Antigone on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 04:31 pm:

I don't think it's going to be quite as wild as people think.

But I could be wrong.

I probably will be wrong.

Come anyway. :-)

By Kalli on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 04:33 pm:

Spider...I've arranged a carpool from DC so you have no excuse...except stubborn refusal.

So far it's me and Claudine...but if anyone else can get to DC and wants to tag along...bring it on.

By Daniel ssss on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 04:37 pm:

Patrick, this is the website (not work related, and go to gambling section): addictions. net

and this is work's websites: gamblingprograms.com or dwiprograms.com

just in case you're interested. You can't email me thru the latter two.

Just for the record, I am neither for nor against drinking, drugging, sexual excess, or gambling, or any other addictive behavior...but my work concerns those who have been affected by and have problems with addiction.

If I would have been a little more sober in my drinking drugging days, I would have made a good DeadHead.

Right now I'm addicted to Etta James on a Friday afternoon.

By Daniel ssss on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 04:43 pm:

Antigone, if I can change my presentations from Friday and Saturday to both on Friday, maybe I can get down there by Saturday. I will see what I can do.

Clarification: I was a lot more messed up than any of the Deadheads I knew back in the day. I actually cannot talk intelligently with much of any memory of an entire decade that folks refer to as "the sixties." (anybody who talks about that time Wasn't There)

By Daniel ssss on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 04:45 pm:

Just a thought: Anybody who complains they've no coin to get to NO should remember that our fine Prezident is going to be sending us each some scratch in September...

By TBone on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 05:20 pm:

Yeah, I just got my notice the other day. I get
    $83. They're sending it the week of October 20th.

By cyst on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 05:59 pm:

green bean salad sounds great. it all sounds great. can't wait.

By Daniel ssss on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 12:30 am:

$500 in September. Must be cuz I'm a Repelican.

By Kalli on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 01:03 am:

I'm not getting shit back because I'm a student.

I sooo voted Nader.

By Nate on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 01:49 am:

you're not getting shit back because you don't pay taxes.

By Jim aka Pajama on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 08:32 pm:

Kalli: ooooooh. I live in DC and would love to carpool to Sorabjifest.

By spunky on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 09:32 pm:

$600 in august

By wisper on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 02:52 am:

$63 last month

By pez on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 03:30 am:

i get nothin' 'cause i'm claimed as a dependent.

sux. they sent me a letter: conradutaions, you may receive a check next year if you pay taxes. i did last year, too.

By agatha on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 01:52 pm:

the greenbean salad was good.

thanks for coming, cyst. sorry i was so scattered, but...yknow.

By Nate on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 02:28 pm:

you get nothing, pez, because you haven't made enough money to pay taxes?

hmm?

be honest now.

you know damn well that someone else claiming you as a dependant has nothing to do with it.

in fact, someone else claiming you as a dependant could mean that you would be getting more back from the government.

because you pay more taxes.

if you make enough to pay taxes.

which maybe you don't.

By heather on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 03:40 pm:

so why are you being so harsh on pez?

I WILL GET NOTHING!! i think i paid something, but not much. i made like nothing. NOTHING

HAHA

By TBone on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 09:07 pm:

I'm a student and was claimed as a dependent. (I
    screwed the pooch on that one and had to submit
    one of those addendums or whatever they are)

I didn't get much of a return, and I'm not getting
    much back from George either. But I get a little.

By Kalli on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 09:30 pm:

I *did* pay taxes you ass.

Just like I do every year.

But because I was a full time student last year I got my full return back. I also wait tables..so at 2.25 an hr claimed, there wasn't a whole lot of claimable income.

By heather on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 10:13 pm:

if you get it back you ain't really paid it

just loaned it for a bit

By moonit on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 01:24 am:

I would wear a pirate hat only if I could have a parrot on my shoulder.

By heather on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 08:47 am:

i would wear a pirate hat if i had one
    and an eye patch

but i don't need parrot crap on my pirate blouse

By semillama on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 10:18 am:

I got a letter saying I still OWED taxes. Those fuckers.

I think czarina told me she was looking into the rent a house thing. Otherwise, you can get rooms right in the FQ for about $70/night on the weekends.

Places to hit while this is happening include the Pirate's Alley Cafe (best service in the quarter), The Funky Pirate (for Big Al), and perhaps Lafitte's Balcksmith shop (darkest bar I've ever been in, lit by candles only), and for eats, the Clover Grill (but it won't fit everyone at once), and various good places on Chatres.

By heather on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 10:25 am:

there are good places on the edges, outside of the more dense quarter area

and a place to get really drunk and bowl with live zydeco and crazy old locals

AHHH!!! i will show you! we will have fun!

i am lonely today, can you tell?

By Kalli on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 10:26 am:

Yea but where can we get good fine hookers?

By heather on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 10:40 am:

well, everywhere. um, maybe not fine and good.

but why do we need hookers?

By Antigone on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 10:44 am:

Well, for you hoity toity types there's the Napoleon House for eats. (I went there twice...)

I have no idea about the hooker part. Really.

Why so lonely heather?

By heather on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 11:06 am:

you know, those convergence of stuff kinda times

usually i'm happy to have people not around

not today

By J on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 11:06 am:

I'm going to strap a mattress on my back to earn extra spending money,so I can bowl with Heather.I will be so proud that you all can see my bowling shirt collection,I have one with a gold lame bowling pin,it's my favorite.

By patrick on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 11:33 am:

i cant stress enough i want to hook up with a burlesque joint. Its New Orleans...getting drunk is easy,finding an old timey burlesque joint is not.

Back in may, they had a big burlesque dance competition. I know this, because i went to the keg party to raise money for the Velvet Hammer girls, so they could go.

Im not talking about a strip joint...a burlesque.

By Daniel ssss on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 11:12 pm:

Well ya go down the avenue to the waterfront from the FQ and find the ferry over the little water thingy there and BLAMO just as you exit the ferry on the other side (of what waters I am not certain) there's a local taverna undiscovered by touristas (unless very lost)...gets you a ferry ride at night with the locals commuting (don't need a car, go with just your feet, and enough dinero to buy dinner) then take the ferry back.

Don't know about hookers or burlesque. You can get some Scots lads to raise they kilts any night of the week on Bourbon Sttreet. The limo driver told us about a place close to the casino at the riverfront which had wonderful local food too.

You can't go wrong so long as you refuse to eat in the hotels.

By pez on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 03:48 am:

i definately paid taxes.

i got a nicely-sized tax return; federal and state together equaled just over $300. but george w. says that i'm not getting anything because my parents claimed me as a dependent.

stuuuuuuuu-piiiiiiiid.

i don't think much of our prez right now. 'course, i'ven't be appriciating the government very much lately.

if you pay taxes, you should get the little reward for paying them just like anybody else. i worked hard for my money.

By J on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 10:59 am:

That's between you and your parents hon, thank God our check is not coming till Sept.,you have to watch your mailbox's here because of the meth freaks.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 11:52 am:

can parents claim someone a dependent after the age of 18? I suppose so. its actually quite smart on their part. You should ask them for a sawbuck or two.

By TBone on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 11:57 am:

They can if you're a student.

I suppose there are other reasons, as well... Like physical handicap. I think there's still an age limit though.

By Czarina on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 12:09 pm:

Thats my favorite of your bowling shirts,too hon.

Oh,I just happen to have a surplus of pirate hats and parrots,for any that need them to complete your ensemble.

Oh,and patches,too.I just got a new one.It has a handy peek-hole.But the instructions say not to wear it while driving or operating heavy machinery.So we'll have to be careful if we use it.

By SHE on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 05:25 pm:

Sarah:
    my email address is stegmosaurus@yahoo.com but you can also reach me at meb@prolaw.com.
    I am not posting my home phone here, but you can always call me at work at 888-877-6529 x4 and ask for Margret, and when they ask who you are say you're my cousin.
    Ok?
    I don't know if this is too late or not, but anyone coming through ABQ should keep this information on mind.
    Nate hates me because I was worried about my cash flow and my time off (I will be out because I'm taking an extra day in the pacific northwest to go see AGATHA).
    I am thinking on the New Orleans thing but hey...those of you with cash/wheels...would you drive out to a campground to pick those of us who camp up? Because I have the domey tent and stuff.
    Think about THAT.
    And stop being such communists, damn it.
    I love you, Nate.

By Nate on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 05:37 pm:

there is no age limit. you can claim anyone as a a dependant if they live in your house for the year in question and you provide them more than 50% of their support.

if the person is your child, they don't have to live in your house the full year.

one addition requirement: they can't be claimed by anyone else. if you claim yourself pez, your parents can't claim you.

and you'll pay less taxes.

By TBone on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 05:42 pm:

Is there a minimum amount of time you must "live" there?

I don't live there ever. I've visited a couple times. Like christmas.

They don't provide 50% of my income.

By Spider on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 05:45 pm:

Hello, Margret.

By Nate on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 05:53 pm:

it doesn't matter, tbone. the bottom line is if you want to claim yourself, claim yourself.

By heather on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 06:59 pm:

margret is coming
    margret is coming

By patrick on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 07:29 pm:

fuck

im really nervous now

By Kalliope on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 09:20 am:

don't be.

be nervous when we find a burlesque and I strap a rump roast to your heiny.

By semillama on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 09:27 am:

For that alone would I come.

anyone check airfares lately?

Czarina - any progress on your end?

Folks - Czarina should drink for free on us for all the work she's putting into this.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 11:27 am:

i don't know anything about what she is doing.

By Margret on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 11:50 am:

i didn't say i was coming.
    communist word manglers.
    hi, spider.
    what's shaking?
    where are you these days, geography wise?

By patrick on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 11:53 am:

im a war monger.

suckface

By sarah on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 04:47 pm:

ooh the irony. kev and i drove right through albequerque on sunday. this past sunday i think. actually, we even stopped in albq and i was peeved that i had to leave hawaii without having your contact information. i will keep it though for future reference. we'll be making a trip to santa fe before the end of the year to visit my old roommate.

anyway. we won $190 at roulette in vegas. worst odds in vegas, but a fun game to play. k and i put $5 a piece in for a roll of quarters which were promptly sucked down into the black hole of a few slot machines. then we went to the minimum bet roulette table, $10. we put $5 on 3 and $5 on 11 (this was his idea... 3-11, the date that kevin first told me he was in love with me... sorry if you all ar barfing over the sappy crap) and we hit on 3. they plopped a big pile of chips in front of us and we just sat and stared at it for a second. i tapped the $100 chip and said to the spinner "is that mine, too?" and he said yes. i whispered to kevin, "let's cash out" so we scooped up the cips and ran, laughing. this all took place in the new Paris casino, which totally rocks the mic. i've been to most of the casinos on the strip, and Paris is a hoot. i bought french bitter chocolate and after i paid, the counter person said, "Merci, Thank You."

we drove by the hoover dam, which was beautiful. never had been there before.

well.

this is the first time i've had internet access since i got to austin 2 days ago. i'm at a public library. i can't move into my apartment until the 1st, but i ordered DSL because cable here is way expensive, it's ridiculous, and frankly Time Warner can kiss my yankee ass.

i miss you guys so much. i am comforted by reading everyone's posts.

oh, and it's about a 9 hour drive to new orleans from here. easy. way easy.

driving through west texas was weird. of course we saw a million oil drills and the mesas were pretty. we spent a day in lubbock. flat, hot, dry, sterile, creepy. we stayed with kevin's friends and drank too much beer at a local brewery and ate a ridiculous amount of barbeque. we drove by his old house where he used to live with his ex-wife. i wanted to see it. he's so much more adult than me. and he loves west texas. i thought west texas was sad.

austin is pretty good so far, except that they have no real health food stores. they have a crappy little co-op north of UT campus which has a very small selection of organic produce, and then of course WholeFoods, but i'm sorry, i just will not pay $8.99 for a 6 oz package of miso, nor will i pay $3.99 for a bunch of rhubarb chard. i mean, please. the regular grocery stores have no tofu or soy products at all. fish here is way expensive too. good thing i like beef.

last night k and i went to a park from 7-9 and watched two really fun local blues bands and drank a bottle of award-winning cab sav from the winery in lubbock which he's been saving for a special occassion. it was really sweet. the night air here is like the night air in hawaii, only dry. kevin's friend Christie accidentally slipped this morning and mentioned seeing me friday for happy hour, which i knew nothing about. when i asked kevin, he said he planned a surprise party for me at Oceans 11, the local tiki/hula bar. flaming drinks served in hollowed-out wooden tiki dolls and lots of kitch. so i have something to look forward to. happy hour with someone else's friends.

today i had to find a physician. already having medical problems, due to being over-sex'd. seriously. but i'm not pregnant so it's ok.

just dealing. everything is so foreign.

some guy in a big truck wouldn't stop honking and waving at me on my way to the library. he was giving me the shaka sign. i thought maybe he was from hawaii and was fired up about seeing the hawaii plates on my car. so we pulled over to chat and he said, "do you like to party?" and i was like... what the bloody fuck? do i look like i'm 18 years old? fuckin a, i did not like that. i felt stupid for thinking he was just being friendly. i forgot that i have to be careful here. duh.

the guy using the computer next to me looks like an older wesley snipes.

i don't have a job, haven't even set up my computer yet, though i'll probably end up working part time at Austin Java which is 50 paces from my apartment, until i get something more adult. but i'm running out of money fast. you know how it goes.

anyway, i'm going to check out a yoga studio across town now. so... anyway... please email me, anyone, if you can. i miss you all. see ya in october!

By cyst on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 05:05 pm:

I'm glad you're in austin, sarah. I always like knowing someone in austin.

By Czarina on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 06:31 pm:

Sarah,its a well known fact,that stateside,all truck drivers assume that all women drive around buck naked from the waist down.This is obviously the fact,or they wouldn't spend so much time leering down at us.If they weren't so much bigger and scarier,I'd do something bizaare back to them.But I respect their size.

By Gee on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 01:56 am:

I can't aford this. Once I get back from the vacation I've already planned with my family I have to pay off the $600+ I still owe the school as well as the $500 I owe my friend who loaned me money to pay the school. then I have to re-start saving money to move out. all of this I will be doing with a job that pays about $650 a month if I work the max. hours. oh wait, I forgot to include the cost of books for school.

well. if the comic book thing does reallysuperwell then I'll be there. but don't hold your breath.

By semillama on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 08:45 am:

Damn you. We need our favorite Canadian.

By Jim aka Pajama on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 09:22 am:

I wanna know if NOLA has nudie boy bars.

By Pilate on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 09:49 am:

There are boy strippers all over NOLA. Problem is, I can't remember what clubs they're working. I think there's one called "Oz" where they've got guys stripping on top of the bar. Crimson reports that there's also a club with really hot guys stripping for straight women, but what fun is that? I do know that getting strippers to go home with you in New Orleans isn't exactly difficult. All it takes is cash, and plenty of it.

By Czarina on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 10:41 am:

Don't worry Jim.There are usually gay nudie guys wearing only skimpy leather or other unusual attire,hanging off the balcony's.I once saw a gay guy in an odd little leather thing,being lead around on a leash.

By patrick on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 11:31 am:

refers to his handy dandy office copy of the Damrons Mens Travel Guide:

"Mens Clubs"

The Club New Orleans
    "Popular and private"

Flex
    "popular w/videos"

Bars w/cabaret/drag shows

Angels
    The Corral
    Country Club
    Footloose (cabarets on wknds)
    Outback Bar
    The Mint
    TTs ("male dancers Fri.Sat., hustlers")

so there ya go jim...action abound!

By semillama on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 12:09 pm:

Something for everyone in New Orleans.

By J on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 12:23 pm:

There is a gay bath house out here called Flex,I wonder if it's a chain,they wouldn't let Czarina or I in there because we were women,it made us very hurt and angry.

By patrick on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 12:31 pm:

gay men take their bath houses seriously. they did you a favor by not letting you in.

By Jim aka Pajama on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 04:22 pm:

LOL

Thanks everyone. :)

By Antigone on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 02:26 am:

When's the next Fest?

By Nate on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 12:02 pm:

probably should figure out 'where' first?

my vote is for branson, mo., in which case we'd want to run it after may.

but if it's going to be in argentina or something, january might be better.

By Platypus on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 12:28 pm:

I vote for montpelier, vermont.

By agatha on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 12:30 pm:

Olympia, in July.

By dave. on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 01:05 pm:

noooooo!

By Nate on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 03:33 pm:

what's in montpelier?

By Platypus on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 10:27 pm:

me, january 26-february 3.

It's also the only state capitol without a macdonalds.

By Dougie on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 10:52 pm:

Hows about Vegas? I've never been.

By Gee on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 01:12 am:

someone come vist me! I'm so cute and buckets upon buckets of fun!

mememememememememememememe!

By Czarina on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:01 pm:

I could do Vegas.

By Spider on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:13 pm:

Vegas?! Count me out of another one.

Vegas....sheesh....

NYC! San Francisco! Seattle! Somewhere interesting!

By Nate on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:20 pm:

you wouldn't show up anyway, spidey.

branson, mo. is interesting.

By Spider on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:22 pm:

Nate, are you trying to use reverse psychology?

Gee, where are you? Toronto?

By Czarina on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:47 pm:

Branson is nice. I spent 3 weeks on a hiking trip on the Buffalo river,in a place called Jasper Arkansas,which is about an hour south of Branson.

I was in a turtle race,on that trip. [ I mean i had a turtle entrant]

By Nate on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 01:46 pm:

no, spidey, not at all. i wouldn't expect you to show up to any sorabjifest. even if it was within walking distance.

branson is loaded with fun.

By Spider on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 02:57 pm:

You may be right....the chance of seeing me at a sorabjifest in DC is greater than seeing me in Las Vegas, though.

By sarah on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 08:33 pm:

hannibal, mo is more interesting.

wherever sorabjifest is, i'll be there.

By Antigone on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 08:36 pm:

Why not Vegas? The cool thing is that it's really near the Grand Canyon. I was thinking of hiking the GC some time in May. The only bummer is that my girlfriend doesn't want to do it, but if I tell her that a lot of my online friends are coming too maybe she'll get jealous and come, especially if hot chix like Spider will be there. :)

But basically, during the summer, I'll go anywhere that's driving distance. For me that's anywhere connected by roads from Dallas. How about Juno?

By agatha on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 10:25 pm:

i've never been to vegas.

By Nate on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 10:48 pm:

have you ever been to BRANSON?

By Dougie on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 10:49 pm:

Or Montana. Hal seems to need some companionship, and I can show y'all how to flyfish. Montana it is then.

By Gee on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 02:50 am:

yes, Toronto.

honestly, I won't travel anywhere for this. except maybe downtown.

By Lapis on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 03:02 am:

How about Montana, in late January-early February?

I want to do something for my birthday.

By Hal on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 03:38 am:

Late jan early Feb would be perfect...

My 21st birthday is on Feburary 12th..... Sorabjifest the week of the Feb. 12- Missoula, MT.

I can gurantee that there will be places to stay, shit I know I can house like 3 people, and I'm pretty sure TBone could if we asked him. Not to mention there are like bitchloads of cheap hotels all over town.

That and shit, its my birthday, which so far looked like it was gonna be pretty damn lame. I mean besides going drinking but thats nothing new, it would just be free drinking... But to have 1 or more Sorabjites here for my birthday would fucking make my decade.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 08:31 am:

I would LOVE to go to Montana. I drove through a sliver of it on the way out of Yellowstone.

I *really* want to see Glacier National Park.

My brother and I were talking of taking a vacation in August and travelling from Seattle to Montana and back through Canada. I would love to go up to the Banf/Calgary area of Alberta, too.

By Hal on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 09:06 am:

Glacier is like 2 hours from here.

By kazoo on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 09:11 am:

*Glacier Park* is on my list of things to see and do before I die

By Platypus on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 10:20 am:

Sorabjifest New Zealand?

I'll bet we could get a bulk discount.

By Hal on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 10:37 am:

:Pointing to self:

Poor remember.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 11:32 am:

Canada requires a passport.

Toilet paper has better value than Canada's dollar.

Regretfully, Wherever you go, short of Southern California. We wont be able to go.

You can rent helicopters in vegas fly over the grand canyon. everyone should go to vegas once. get liquoured. walk on the strip with your yard of beer, loose some money, imagine you are with a high dollar hooker, maybe visit a strip club and explore your sexual nether regions.

send cleo to grandma's agatha and go.

unless you think it would send dave right to the ER. I could easily see the lights, the flashing, DING DING DING, and the idiots would send dave to LVER within moments of arriving.

By Lapis on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 02:12 pm:

Hm.

I wonder how Grayhound routes work. I'd bet a portland bus would pass through Olympia, and Agatha and I could ride together.

If the 'fest is in Montana, that is.

By Gee on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 02:19 pm:

excuse me, Patrick, but what are you complaining about? Our dollar being low means big things for you, buddy. you could practically be a trillionare over here.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 02:28 pm:

oh right.

your dollar still sucks assy

By Gee on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 02:41 pm:

yeah well, that's why all the boys like it.

By sarah on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 07:31 pm:

i used to live in montana.

and i will not visit montana in january or february. only july or august.

i've spent a lot of time glacier national park. it's the most beautiful place i've ever been in my life. period.

no, nate i've never been to BRANSON. have you been to HANNIBAL?

By agatha on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 09:09 pm:

I would rather go to Canada than Montana. And you don't need a passport, you just need ID.

I would go to Las Vegas, too.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact