Serious Halloween Action

sorabji.com: What do you want?: Serious Halloween Action
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Xyrea on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 11:46 am:

I know it's not even October yet, but I want Halloween. I love the parties. It's the one day of the year that everyone is practically required to be ghoulish. It's like someone decided, "Hey, let's have a fantasy night!" and it just caught.

Goblins, royalty, witches, vermin, candy.... How can it go wrong? And all the Haunted Houses! OOOOooooo! I get excited just thinking about it.

They should make Halloween three times a year. Who needs that Valentine shit?

If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands. Clap Clap.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 12:27 pm:

shit i got an anniversary to think about.

By pez on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 02:39 pm:

i have to think up something good. i've done princess leia, cats, earthgirl, marge simpson... ooh man. halloween's a comin' and i better be ready!

By Ophelia on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 03:59 pm:

halloween might be my favorite holiday. i used to go trick-or-treating with my friends every year and we'd run through the graveyard at midnight, scared out of our minds.

By TBone on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 04:44 pm:

It's perverted how much candy we have already. The roomie and I spied a holloween aisle and lost it completely. Criminy.

By Hal on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 06:35 pm:

I think I'm going to sit in my room this Halloween, eat candy, drink alcohol, and play the music from my computer as LOUD as I fucking can without breaking the windows in the house.

My roomies have decided that we are having a party on Halloween, and that I being the (and i quote) "Computer & Music Guru" should be the sound guy. Well I figure what the hell, I'll put my BIG ASS speakers by the door, turn the volume on my Amp up to about 5 and set WinAmp to cycle through my 300 some songs randomly,(Of course I'll remove anything that would prompt someone to actually venture to my room.) I figure that on Volume level 3 on the amp the walls in my house shake, I figure that 4 should be just enough for a good party. And I can sit back, drink beer, smoke a few ciggs, and relax.

By pez on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 02:51 am:

i am going to be a polar bear. i've decided. i can wear clothes i already have, paint my nose black and wear ears. easy homebody outfit.

when i'm tired of it all, i can go downstairs to my room and read dead man poems.

By wisper on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 01:28 pm:

it seems that this year i'm venturing into the
    land of group costumes, which is new for me.
    So i may be one of the 7 Duffs (i'm hoping for
    Queasy or Remorsful).

Or Slash.

hee hee...Slash. Where will i get a hat that big.

i'm a sucker for halloween. It becomes my
    world for all of Oct.

By patrick on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 02:14 pm:

id want to be Surly

By Xyrea on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 02:27 pm:

We've yet to buy the necessary equipment for our place yet. I have a laundry list of things... candy, decorations, food... We live in an upstairs apartment, so I need to figure out how to draw the kids in. I think I'll have to make some kind of Haunted Hallway or something.

It's been my dream for a while now to be the coolest Halloween candy giver on my block. I wonder what's popular these days....

By The Watcher on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 03:08 pm:

Halloween is my favorite holiday.

I loved going out as a kid. I did it up until I was 18. By then it was just one place to stop. The Glauber's house. Where they made the candy for their stores. YUM!!!!

Now, I get to greet all the little hob goblins that come around. At least after I get home from work. My poor wife misses most of the fun with her MS. She just cann't keep getting up to answer the door.

By pez on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 02:36 am:

some of my roommates want to go as the twin towers.

i think it would be neat to dress up as a window or be a karaoke machine. the karaoke machine would be a good excuse to sing bad songs all night.

By Huh. on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 11:32 am:

I have never in my life heard such a thing... a karaoke machine? That's truly impressive. Í always think of the people/monster things. Hmm. The possibilities.

One could go as a computer, or a bbs (imagine: post its all over you from some of the more interesting threads)....

By patrick on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 01:20 pm:

this completely sucks ass

By J on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 03:45 pm:

By Daniel ssss on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 02:26 am:

Patrick you're on a roll. What passes for Halloween is what the Celts call the beginning of the year.

And it's the thinning of the veil. I am twenty days into a yearly meditation (from Oct 10 to Jan 26 each year) when the holiday rolls around. Any body in the Great Mid Waste can come to my New Years' Party...

It appears I am posting on every available thread. Seems I close em. Was it something I said?

By pez on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 12:54 pm:

samhain.

"on the day of the dead, when the year too dies,
    must the youngest open the oldest hills
    through the door of the birds, where the breeze breaks.
    there fire shall fly from the raven boy,
    and the silver eyes that see the wind,
    and the light shall have the harp of gold.

"by the pleasant lake the sleepers lie,
    on cadfan's way where the kestrels call;
    though grim from the grey king shadows fall,
    yet singing the golden harp shall guide
    to break their sleep and bid them ride.

"when light from the lost land shall return,
    six sleepers shall ride, six signs shall burn,
    and where the midsummer tree grows tall
    by pendragon's sword the dark shall fall.

"y maent yr mynyddoedd yn canu,
    ac y mae'r arglwyddes yn dod."

from "the grey king" number four in "the dark is rising sequence" by susan cooper.

watched "the craft" last night. good movie, but propagandic and creepy.

By Daniel ssss on Saturday, September 29, 2001 - 02:11 am:

Pez, have you knowlegde of a samildanich, and the Tuatha d Danan? First harvest festival is Lughnassadh (Lammas), second the cross quarters at Equinox, and the third at Samhain.

Lugh was a samildanich.

By pez on Saturday, September 29, 2001 - 11:14 am:

i had this whole long post in response to this before the machine froze up on me.

the tuatha d danan are the "people of danu" an irish river goddess if i'm not mistaken. they arrived in ireland long long ago when it was home to the fomors.

to keep relations cordial, one formor married the daughter of the tuatha's king. when the king's hand was severed and replaced by a silver one, he was forced to step down from the throne because a disfigured king could not rule.

so there was a fomor on the throne, and he wasn't a particularly good king. he made man enemies, because he favored his own people over those he ruled.

eventually a sorcerer regenerated the former king's hand so he was no longer disfigured, he went back to the throne.

don't remember the names. the formors were people of the sea, and the tuatha d danan eventually became what we call faery folk.

what is a samildanich? i've never heard that term before.

By Ophelia on Saturday, September 29, 2001 - 08:36 pm:

i loved the poem, pez. i should read those books. i started to once, several years ago, but they were too difficult at that point.

one of my friends was an oven for halloween once. another was a toxic waste spill.

By Curious on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 02:22 pm:

Pez, are you wiccan?

By Pamela on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 03:17 pm:

By pez on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 04:16 pm:

close. definately pagan, prolly kitchen witch. not wiccan. i read alot, and mess around with charms and stuff, but i don't go for ritual work other than meditation, hypnosis and astral projection.

i'm like to be a natural healer if i can. faith in combination with practical treatments (both medical and natural) can be highly effective.

By Daniel ssss on Tuesday, October 2, 2001 - 12:33 am:

A samildanich is a person extraordinarily talented in many ways and arts. Lugh goes to the king's sentry and says, let me in, I am a good warrior. The sentry says we have good warriors and don't need you. Then Lugh says he is a good smith; sentry replies don't need any more smiths. Then Lugh asks if the kingdom needs good seers and visionaries; sentry says we got em. Lugh then offers that he is the best (not just good)at several other arts, each to which the sentry replies, we have one, go away. Finally, Lugh asks if the kingdom has one man who embodies all these strengths, to which the sentry says of course not, and lets Lugh in because Lugh DOES embody all those talents.

That's a samildanich. It's quite a bit more than our concept of renaissance man (or woman).

Cowan has written extensively of Fomorian energies. As myth or history, take your pick, the Fomorians are not exactly evil, and the Tuatha are not exactly their opposite, as many scholars propose. Fomorian energies are chaotic, though, and disruptive and destructive. The Tuatha, on the other hand, are the people of the Light, the ones who simply disappeared into the hollow hills and are said to be the fairyfolk.

One of the ways we can begin to understand these forces today is the allegedly fictional historical novels by Morgan Llewellyn. Bard in particular speaks of these things.

Both are illusive and ancient, and yet certainly very much alive today. Neither have much to do with Samhaim, the Celtic new year, Halloween, or the thinning of the veils...though some feel that at this time of year, Fomorian influences are most likely the most obvious, and the Tuatha are the most active, at least in our limited perspective. Both are obvious and active all year if you know what you're looking at and can interpret events properly.

We westerners have a bankrupt and dismissing attitude toward ritual; as a culture we are ritualistically poverty stricken. Perhaps we had a little more ritual in our daily lives, we might not be so neurotic. Ritual conceptualizes and makes concrete what we cannot begin to understand the mystery of.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact