A good memory of year 2001.

sorabji.com: What do you want?: A good memory of year 2001.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Guess who on Saturday, October 13, 2001 - 11:02 pm:

This year in my family has been awful. We have lost a grandfather to cancer, and just found out my grandmother has multiple organ failures and is dying within hours, vs. days. My nephew got a skull fracture and subderal hematoma (among other things) at age 5 months. The person who did it to him got completely off of all charges and will eventually get custody back. My ex husband got out of prison. The WTC was destroyed by terrorists. We are at war.

I need to hear something good about this year. I need things to appreciate. I need things to laugh about. I need a smile. I need a warm and fuzzy. I need something to be thankful for in the year 2001, other than something like "well your kids are still alive" which is the best I can come up with right about now.

By J on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 02:15 am:

xanax kind of helps

By droopy on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 02:28 am:

the first winnie the pooh book is 75 years old this weekend.

"You seem so sad, Eeyore."
    "Sad? Why should I be sad? It's my birthday. The happiest day of the year." "Your birthday?" said Pooh in great surprise.
    "Of course it is. Can't you see? Look at all the presents I've had."
    He waved a foot from side to side.
    "Look at the birthday cake. Candles and pink sugar."
    Pooh looked - first to the right and then to the left.
    "Presents?" said Pooh. "Birthday cake?" said Pooh. "Where?"
    "Can't you see them?"
    "No," said Pooh.
    "Neither can I," said Eeyore. "Joke," he explained. "Ha Ha"

By moonit on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 02:29 am:

You're alive. I figure thats gotta be worth something.

chocolate is also a good reason, not that I've had any for the last 17 days, but who's counting.

By moonit on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 02:30 am:

I always felt so sorry for Eyeore when I was a kid, now, as not so kid-like, I think he's a whiny selfish ass.

By droopy on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 02:36 am:

"I see now," said Winnie-the-Pooh.
    "I have been Foolish and Deluded," said he, "and I am a Bear of no Brain at All."

By Czarina on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 02:41 am:

I was glad when he got his head stuck in the honey pot.

By Eri on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 10:02 am:

Are you guys trying to compare me to eeyore?

I hope not. I am close to my wits end watching my Grandmother lay there on life support. What happens to her next is my decision, and I am just a wreck. To top it all off my doctor won't give me a prescription for anti-depressants unless I go into the office (even though I see her at the hospital daily) and she doesn't have an opening for 3 weeks.

By Eri on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 08:16 pm:

Sorry if I sounded snippy there, but I hope that you all can understand where I am coming from.

Family will start arriving tonight. I have to be at the airport at 10:30 for my aunt. I am not sure when my cousin Katie is coming. My cousin Jennifer (Lopez :p) is on the road and will be in during the wee hours of the morning. My cousin Mandi is still looking for a plane ticket. My cousin Liz is waiting until it is closer to the end, because she only has one vacation day left. My uncle Chuck is waiting, because he is in denial of the situation and doesn't want to come out yet, because he doesn't want to think his mother is dying. I don't blame him. I don't want to think about it either. Anyways, it is getting a little crazy here. With the twins together it is bound to be an event made for Jerry Springer.

At least everyone is trying to be here for Grandma in one way or another. Even if the whole family needs psychiatric help. That and lots of drugs.

Anyways, if any of you have any pic me ups of funnies, I could really go for some right now.
    Hope I am not being a pain.

By Antigone on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 01:50 am:

The year is young.

By Patrick on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 09:43 am:

Me and my wife went to a wonderfully fulfilling church service together.
    God is Great.

By Eri on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 09:56 am:

Our pastor is hiking with his sons around the Grand Canyon this week, so our service this week was from a guest speaker about persnal growth. It was unfulfilling, but I have been getting some support from friends at church and invited to a few parties, etc.

Things are all right for the moment. Here is hoping for the best.

By Spider on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 11:07 am:

Eeyore has a good sense of humor.

"That's right," said Eeyore. "Sing. Umty-tiddly, umty-too. Here we go gathering Nuts and May. Enjoy yourself."

"I am," said Pooh.

"Some can," said Eeyore.

By patrick on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 11:35 am:

hey s...if you are going to post as me....at least do it correctly and try not to be too retarded about it.

By Patrick on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 12:58 pm:

because everyone knows that i love Jesus so why do you act like it is such a big secret S?

By Eri on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 01:04 pm:

Patrick, how could she post as you without being retarded about it?

By J on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 01:16 pm:

yea patrick, is she supposed to be nice about it or something
    youre dumb

By patrick on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 01:19 pm:

let me clarify....if you are going to post as me....be entertaining about it.

By J on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 01:27 pm:

That last J post wasn't me either,somebody find out whose doing this.Mark might get rid of it,just like he does spam.

By J on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 01:41 pm:

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJihatepatrickJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

By Eri on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 01:42 pm:

J you are such a liar
    everyone knows that you hate patrick

By J on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 01:43 pm:

Even if i do hate him i still didnt write that
    he is annoying but i have no reason to be mean about it

By The real J on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 01:58 pm:

Get out of here S,you holy ho,we can tell it's you,I might want to get in touch with your Dean and show him your posts.

By Eri on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 02:42 pm:

Sorry again J, I am sure you know that that last post wasn't me. I don't think that you are a liar. Funny how easy it is for the "perfect christian" among us to lie in the name of other people. How christian is that? If you know how to get in touch with the dean to make them aware of her posts, please let me know. This is beyond childish, and I think they should be aware of her behavior on here. I think she should be blocked.

By Antigone on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 03:03 pm:

To the person spoofing others on this board: You piss me off when you disrespect someone after they've posted that they're having a life crisis and are in need of sympathy. I will now find out who you are and look into getting your computer privileges at your university revoked. Have a nice day.

By pez on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 04:05 pm:

smile! you're on candid camera!

By Ophelia on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 05:12 pm:

Eri, I am sorry and I hope things work out okay for you.

S, I am new to this site but your intrusion pisses me off as much as it does everyone else. Please fuck off.

By patrick on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 05:23 pm:

if it makes you feel any better Eri, this has been one of the worst years for me too.

ive never been more depressed.

my bank account has never been as bad as it is now.

and we've managed to increase my debt by about 140% in a span of 8 months.

life sucks real bad right now.

i feel your pain sister.

By semillama on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 06:22 pm:

Lots of bad things this year you missed:
    The deaths of Joey Ramone and Douglas Adams.
    Waking up and realizing that George Bush REALLY IS THE PRESIDENT.

but good things:
    Fellowship of the Ring and Harry Pooter movies are due out. Memento was in theaters. Tool released their new album. I got a great new job and moved to a cool city. I went on a real date for the first time in over six years. I was published twice. That's a little too me-specific, I guess.

No dumb nostradamus predictions came true. The number of people smoking continues to drop. Um, yeah.

By patrick on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 06:29 pm:

i did some photos for Maynard's fiance....though i didnt met maynard.

By wisper on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 06:32 pm:

wisper's attempt at a warm and fuzzy:

the weekend before last (Thanksgiving here
    suckers!) i became trapped in my man's
    hometown thanks to my car tire going flat. that
    left my poor car stuck in a 7-11 parking lot all
    day and night, it being a holiday and no tire
    places open. Finally i got it towed to the local
    Wal-Mart, where after fighting with it for an
    hour they informed me that "we don't have the
    technology to fix your tire", because the
    hubcap nuts were so rusted and stripped they
    had virtually bonded to the rim. (Thank you 88'
    Cutlass) So i drove it across the parking lot to
    the Canadian Tire store. At 1 km an hour, it
    took me 20 minutes to go about 100 feet and
    into their garage. Hours passed, and they
    finally broke the bolts off with a blowtourch and
    gave me two new tires. So after this simple
    one night holiday stay with my sig's family
    turned into a two day and $350 ordeal, the
    manager of Canadian Tire says as i'm paying
    him (he thought that Wal Mart had stripped the
    bolts by being fuck-ups):

"That's a terrible thing that Wal-Mart did to your
    nuts, ma'am."

and i ran out laughing. It was almost worth it.

By eri on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 11:31 pm:

I like the story Whisper. Too bad you had to go through all that just for the funny, though.

By dave. on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 01:55 am:

all right! enough!

i have to try to put a stop to people spelling wisper's name, "Whisper".

it's wisper.

carry on.

By wisper on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 05:23 pm:

i think it's cute

thanks dave. See, i spelled it wrong the very
    first time i used it oh so many years ago, and
    figured i'd keep it mis-spelled as a constant
    reminder that i can't spell.
    I don't think it's working.

By pamela on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 06:41 pm:

This year has been pretty horrible for my family as well. For me personally, our financial situation has been hell. The whole bit about wondering when we're going to be able to eat next (with a baby no less) is quite taxing.

The worst part of this year so far (for me personally), was when my Uncle Gary was murdered. It happened at the beginning of August in Leawood, Kansas. He was brutally tortured and then killed. They shoved a metal rod up his ass and it broke through just about every organ in his torso. I'm hoping that he had already died before they did that. I've been trying not to let them fill me with hatred and anger, but it is hard. The police over there had two suspects in their custody, but I've heard that they have been let go b/c they don't have enough evidence. What kind of bullshit is that?

The week after that, my other unlce (by marriage) was missing. He just disappeared. We found him two weeks later, in a hospital in the ICU listed as a John Doe. He's recovering, slowly.

Then, the third week of September, in Campbell, CA, my sisters cat was taken from her porch by two teenage boys (17 year olds, almost 18). They tied the cat, Jewel, to some railroad tracks, poured gasoline all over her, and lit her on fire. Jewel lived, but only b/c someone came upon the boys and saw what was happening. The guy got the license plate number and that's how the two boys were picked up by the police. Unfortunately, Jewel had to be put to sleep b/c after the first week, it was quite apparent that she would not have a very good life. Her rectum had healed together, and her skin had been burnt almost completely off. You could see her insides when you looked at her. The saddest part was that she had such a strong will to live. She regained her appetite almost immediately. She would purr whenever my sister came to see her. It was really hard for my sister.

This year has been completely awful. I don't know how I could look back on this year and have fond memories.

By eri on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 09:03 pm:

I am really sorry about your uncle in Leawood. I heard about it on the news. I didn't know anyone who is realted to anyone here. It is very sad.

I guess the saying "misery loves company" can sometimes be true.

Good news on the Grandma front. They found the source of her infection, and did a really risky operation to do it, but there was no choice. She came out of the operation as best as could be. Today, she was responsive, even though she couldn't talk, she mouthed Love You, and nodded her head a lot and wiggled her feet whenever she got excited about something. We actually have reason to hope again. It feels good.

By pamela on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 12:04 am:

eri, the police have been really stingy with their information and it's driving me nuts. I wish I was out there half the time b/c I know the press would tell all they know. All I know is what was in the police report and that doesn't help me now. If you hear anything about it, or have heard anything about it, could you please let me know? I'd appreciate it. I'm sure there won't be anything more on it, the police have seemed to sweep the whole thing under the carpet, but just in case.

I'm so glad to hear that your grandmother is doing better, even if it is only a little. Improvement, no matter how small, is still improvement.

By J on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 01:19 am:

Pam did your uncles live in the same town? What did they do?? Don't forget you had a beautiful baby boy this year.

By eri on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 09:38 am:

Pamela, email me the exact date, and I will search for the newspaper articles.

I know what you mean about the police, though. I don't know if you are aware of the "situation" with my sister, but they dropped all charges against her for "lack of evidence". Bullshit. She was alone with baby, roommate got home, sister left, roommate got baby out of crib, baby had skull fracture and subderal hematoma along with everything else showing systematic abuse for over 2 weeks. Doesn't take a genius when she was the one alone with him. Anyways, I am not impressed by the detectives here. They wait forever before they even start the investigation, by which time crucial evidence is forever blowing in the wind. They piss me off.

You can call the television stations and ask them to send you copies of the news reports for those days. I don't know if they charge for it or not, but you can get video tapes of the news shows if you call and get in touch with whoever does that stuff. WB 62, Fox 4, NBC 41, CBS 5 are most prominent out here. Most of them are in downtown KC or Overland Park KS.

Good luck on finding anything out, and again, send me the date and I will check the old papers.

Congratulations on your little boy !!!!!!!!

By Spider on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 10:14 am:

Pamela, I'm so sorry about your uncle. That's absolutely horrible.

I work for an online research database that archives hundreds of newspapers across the country. If you'd like, you can email me your uncle's name and I can search our sites for articles about him.

By trace on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 11:55 am:

The cops here in the KC Metro area ARE ALL OUT OF SHAPE, WORTHLESS PEICES OF SHIT!

You have to do something right in front of them to get caught, and if you can run, they will never catch you.

But, if your head light is out, better watch out, they will nail you to the wall!!!

By Dougie on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 11:57 am:

Too much of that fine KC beef, probably. That and donuts.

By eri on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 12:47 pm:

The cops here don't eat KC beef. They get discounts at the fast food places and basically live at Hardee's and donut shops. There are donut shops in Independence, Mo that literally have cop cars in the parking lot 24 hours a day, even if the shop is closed. Kansas City sux.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 01:15 pm:

That reminds for some reason of that Cheers episode where Norm & Cliff come back from dinner at the Hungry Heiffer. Norm has just had the "carnivore platter" -- steak topped with pork chops, and Cliff doesn't feel too well because he had the "beff" -- a low cost alternative to beef. Norm tells Cliff that next time, he should try the "loobster." Been a long time since I've seen that episode -- I used to love that show.

By Pamela on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 08:41 pm:

My uncle's name is Gary D. Raynal, and he was last seen on August 25th and found dead on August 26th.

No, my uncle who was murdered lived in Leawood, KS. My uncle who went missing for two almost three weeks lives in Santa Rosa, CA. He was upset with what happened to my uncle and his wife was my uncle's sister and she was not handling it very well. It was hard on everyone. But he'd been suffering from depression, and then his wife (my aunt) got wrapped up with dealing with my uncle's death. My aunt had flown back to K.C. to get my Uncle's belonging's and so we figure he must have gone to a bar(s) sometime while she was gone and tried to drink himself to death.

I need to put Ethan's pictures up from him first birthday. He is so big now! I am very thankful for him. But he was born in the year 2000, so I really can't think of one good thing that has happened this year.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact