****End Game****

sorabji.com: What do you want?: ****End Game****
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Reese on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 11:15 am:

I am in a deep blue Monday Funk.
    I feel like a kid after all the presents are
    opened on Christmas Morning, and the tree is empty.
    I got what I wanted, but find that the anticipation is much better then the aftermath.

I love the X-Files.
    Yeah, I know, go ahead and say it. I do not care.
    I am not sure what my attraction to it was, but I found myself excited every Sunday night that a new episode was on.
    Now it never will be again. I looked at the Fox Fall line up for Sunday and it finally set in. No more X-Files. Just more of the same old crap. Sitcoms. Boring ass sitcoms. Sure, I love the Simpsons, Futurama and King of the Hill, but I now realize that those were just distractions as I awaited X-Files.

By Spider on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 11:27 am:

I was disappointed, too. Seems that Chris Carter pulled a David Lynch on us.

This is *really* sad, but the episode was redeemed for me by the fact that Mulder and Scully are finally together.

I will now slink backwards out of this thread.

By spunky on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 11:40 am:

I do not think I am a freak, but I love the X-Files as well. I, too, was disappointed and still feel like there were questions that were not answered. But it is good that mulder and scully are back together again

By eri on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 12:25 pm:

It had excitement and drama and action, but what a crappy ending, I mean, we are all going to die when the aliens invade us on December 22, 2012, but it's all good because Mulder and Scully are together? Entertaining, but sad. Not at all the ending I had expected. Here's hoping the do some movies or something. Ugh.

By semillama on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 12:34 pm:

Would someone care to do a brief synopsis of
    what happened? A whole lot of detail isn't
    important. I stopped watching X-Files right
    before Annabeth Gish (is that right) joined teh
    cast. There were some really bad episodes
    and then things got so confusing I couldn't
    follow it. I am merely curious so no one bust
    their ass on that.

By spunky on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 12:57 pm:

The episode begins with Mulder (David Duchovny) breaking into a secret military facility to view a computer file titled "End Game" -- also the collective promotional title of the series' final story arc.

He's discovered by "supersoldier" Knowle Rohrer (Adam Baldwin) and pursued through the facility, ultimately flipping Rohrer over a catwalk and down onto electrical wires, supposedly to his death. Mulder is charged with murder and faces a military tribunal headed by Deputy FBI Director Kersh (James Pickens Jr.) to decide his fate.

There's just one thing -- supersoldiers are invulnerable, which means Rohrer can't be dead. The only possible explanation for the tribunal is to continue the coverup of alien life on Earth.

The trial scenes play out like a primer to the series' twisting mythology, as witnesses including Scully (Gillian Anderson), former U.N. official Marita Covarrubias (Laurie Holden), mind-reading child Gibson Praise (Jeff Gulka), Doggett (Robert Patrick) and Reyes (Annabeth Gish) all testify as to what they've seen over the years. And, oh yeah, Mulder also gets some "Beautiful Mind" -like visits from dead players Alex Krycek (Nicholas Lea), Mr. X (Steven Williams) and the Lone Gunmen (Bruce Harwood, Dean Haglund and Tom Braidwood).

Carter told Zap2it at the series wrap party that the final episode, titled "The Truth," would show that the series' mythology contained "a beautiful logic." And doggone if it didn't, at least as far as I could tell. (Disclaimer: Although a fan of the show, I am not a hardcore "X" -phile. Therefore, detailed discussions of the mythology should be best left to Zap2it's message boards.)

Mulder is found guilty, but Doggett, Assistant Director Skinner (Mitch Pileggi) and Kersh -- who, perhaps shaken by Gibson's revelation that one of the tribunal judges wasn't human, had a change of heart -- bust him out of prison and tell him and Scully to get out of North America. Rohrer, not dead after all, pursues them.

Of course Mulder heads not for the airport but for the New Mexico desert, where an Anasazi Indian pueblo houses a man known as the Keeper of the Truth. He turns out to be the Cigarette Smoking Man (William B. Davis), thought to be dead -- and now smoking through a breathing tube in his throat.

The Cigarette Smoking Man reveals to Scully what Mulder had refused to divulge at his trial -- the contents of the file he viewed at the episode's beginning, which state that the final alien invasion will begin Dec. 22, 2012. After being warned by Doggett and Reyes, who tailed them, Mulder and Scully escape an assault on the pueblo by Rohrer, who dies the only way a supersoldier can -- by some unnatural reaction to the magnetite in the desert rock.

The series closes with Mulder and Scully embracing in a motel room in Roswell. The last line, spoken by Mulder, is "Maybe there's hope."

By Spider on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 01:17 pm:

Knowle Rohrer = Adam Baldwin.

I knew I've seen that guy before! He played the jerk who got in a fight with Timothy Hutton in "Ordinary People."

B-b-but...there's a Baldwin brother named Adam. He was on "Homicide." This is a different guy, and yet they're both billed as Adam Baldwin, not Adam C. Baldwin or something. That's not right.

By Spider on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 01:19 pm:

"The series closes with Mulder and Scully embracing in a motel room in Roswell."

You forgot to say that the scene is set up just like the scene in the very first episode, with Mulder sitting on the floor and Scully on the bed. Hello! Sheesh. :)

By Spider on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 01:19 pm:

Oops, I was wrong. The Baldwin on Homicide was Daniel.

By Reese on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 01:40 pm:

One of the most intriguing questions, in my mind, that the series posed remains unanswered:
    In the end, who is worse, the aliens or man?

I believe that man, in real life, is man's worst enemy.

By semillama on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 02:41 pm:

See? I'm absolutely lost. The Lone Gunmen
    died?

By heather on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 02:43 pm:

yeah, in real life the aliens are just kinda funny

By Spider on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 02:47 pm:

Yeah, Sem - two or three episodes ago. Their deaths were kind of lame, too....they were trapped in an air-tight space with a guy with a virus that was about to explode and release it into the atmosphere, and they sacrificed themselves to save mankind. Or something like that. My eyes were dry.

By spunky on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 03:00 pm:

I thought it was horrible. Almost as sad as when Scully gave up William (Bill Mulder, get it?)for adoption

By Spider on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 03:17 pm:

I didn't think that was too sad, either.

Is it just me or has Gillian Anderson aged considerably in the past year or so?

By semillama on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 04:10 pm:

I just don't care. That show jumped the shark
    long ago. Millenium was a far better program
    in my book.

By Nate on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 04:24 pm:

i jumped the shark, once.

thanks for blowing the ending for me, guys. i was waiting for the final season to come out on DVD.

By Christopher on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 06:02 pm:

Whichever Baldwin he is, I'd do him.

I liked Millenium because it was so completely depressing. Perfect casting. I never saw how that series ended, but i'd be willing to wager...IT WAS DEPRESSING.

I missed most of the last year of X files because AT&T couldn't get their shit together to fix our cable. We just switched over to Dish Network, and I was able to catch this one. I didn't see that the Lone Gunmen got snuffed, but I kind of figured that they did when Mulder was having one of his "beautiful Mind" moments...Which leads me to wonder if instead of sauntering off into the sunset in joyous bliss, will Scully have to look forward to Mulders continuing disintegration as he succumbs to obvious symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia? How romantic...

Don't worry Nate, the REAL finale doesn't happen until 12/22/2012.

By Margret on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 06:57 pm:

I haven't watched in like forever. Is Skinner still the hottest thing since habanero peppers?

By eri on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 07:04 pm:

I like Skinner, too. For some reason, I have always though older men were so attractive.

Christopher, Billy Baldwin isn't really into his marriage, and is looking for "friends". He's in Boston now. Used to have his number, but lost it. Sorry. Give it to ya if I had it still. I don't know any of the other Baldwin brothers.

By Antigone on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 07:17 pm:

I met the actor who played Skinner at an X-files con. If I was a chick or a homo, I'd do him.

By spunky on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 09:25 am:

alright, images of Skinner getting it on is just disturbing. Like Millenium was. I must get more coffee.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 12:14 pm:

I sat next to 'Skinner' in a mexican rest on Ventura Blvd. with his wife and mother and father inlaws.

Yeah like you didnt know what was coming nate. BBS threads require a deliberate action to continue reading.

the phrase "jumping the shark" jumped the shark a year ago.

I've always been fond of 'Scully' but I've heard her on numerous talk shows and she doesnt sound as near as bright as the show makes her to be. Its always a disapointment as she sounds like a complete bim.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact