A question for Moonit and Cat

sorabji.com: What do you want?: A question for Moonit and Cat
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 08:47 am:

Moonit and Cat, would you please describe the difference between the NZ and Australian accent?

Mille grazie.

By semillama on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 08:59 am:

I bet Americans have a harder time
    distinguishing between those two accents
    than between Irish and Scots accents. I Bet
    most Americans ( and probably most other
    english speakers,too) are unaware there is a
    difference.

I know there is, but I can't tell you what it is. I
    just know it from spending time in grad school
    with a New Zealander, and you hear the
    australian accent a fiar amount on TV if you
    watch educational channels.

By Spider on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 09:08 am:

I was watching the Lord of the Rings DVD with all the interviews with Peter Jackson and other people from New Zealand who worked on the film, and if I didn't know better, I would have identified them as Australian from their accent. If anything, maybe the NZ accent is a bit softer...I would guess?

I get irritated when people can't distinguish between Irish and Scottish accents. I hope I'm not irritating Moonit and Cat.

By Dougie on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 09:15 am:

I get irritated when New Yorkers think I'm from the South. Not that there's anything wrong with the South, but damn man, a midwest accent is nothing like a southern accent.

By Skooter on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:18 am:

To me the Irish accent rises up in pitch toward
    the end of the phrase.
    Scots is more from the chest voice, with some
    dropped letters here and there.
    My mid-west accent sounds like I'm Ted
    Logan from Bill and Teds.

By moonit on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 03:16 pm:

I think kiwi's sound a bit more english than aussies.

its hard to describe unless you actually get yourself, cat and I into a room. And then we can talk, or argue over if Footroot Flats is a kiwi or Aussie icon, who really invented pavlova, who says six like sex or sox, and ten like tin, and if Russel Crowe should be counted as a Kiwi cause he spent some boyhood time here (I say not, Aussies can have him).

By Spider on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 03:39 pm:

Six like sex and ten like tin....people from Ohio talk like that, too! How odd.

By kazoo on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 04:14 pm:

Damn, are New Yorkers really that dumb? I'm sure the same thing would happen in Boston too.

I've lived in Ohio and now I live in the South (ohmygod, that feels strange to say...well, I suppose Atlanta is a little different from the parts of the south that make saying, "I live in the South" feel strange to a Yankee)...but what was I saying?

Oh yes, I've heard both accents and some of the people I've talked to (like old men with butterscotch candy) have quite the accent. And it sounds NOTHING like an Ohio one.

By Spider on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 04:16 pm:

Oh, I know it doesn't. But my uncle is from Ohio and he and all his family say "pin" for "pen" and "set" for "sit" and vice versa. I assumed it was an OHio thing, but maybe his family's just crazy.

By kazoo on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 04:22 pm:

I meant the New Yorkers Dougie was talking about.

By Spider on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 04:25 pm:

Oh, I see! Sorry about that.

By semillama on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 11:42 am:

What part of Ohio, Spider? Everyone south of I-70 has an Upper South accent (Think Kentucky). The rest have a lighter Midwestern accent.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact