A dog!

sorabji.com: What do you want?: A dog!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By eri on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 05:56 pm:

http://www.petadoption.net/databaseGraphics/animals/8bHSBC021594A.jpg

This is the dog I want. We spent most of the afternoon with her at the local shelter. She is perfect. She would even get along with our cats!

I know I have a total menagerie of animals already, but she is so amazing. Perfect fit to our insane family. She is so wonderful with the kids.

We won't have the adoption money for 9 days and I am afraid she will be gone by then, but who knows. I don't know how long she has been there to begin with and all of the younger dogs seem to get adopted first. The volunteer there was basically begging me to adopt her.

I called my parents and said "buy this for me for my birthday!" They got all peeved that I wanted another pet and gave me a firm lecture on how hard it will be to find a new place (when they finally decide to transfer us, whenever that may be) if we have a dog, not because of the amount of animals, but because we will have a dog and dogs are harder to find places for. Ugh. They just had to lecture me and lecture me and wouldn't even look at her picture. It just sucked.

OK so we have 3 cats, 2 are OLD. We have 2 hamsters (each girl has one) and a fishtank. Who cares? I don't see the harm in having a medium sized dog that isn't that much bigger than the cats and gets along with the cats to go and play outside with the kids and what not.

This dog is perfect for us. Am I insane for wanting another animal in our family? She is so sweet and docile and amazingly well behaved.

I bet if I asked my parents for the new Harry Potter movie on DVD for my birthday they would buy it and send it in the mail without question.

By J on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 10:34 am:

Try asking for cash.

By eri on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 02:27 pm:

Cross your fingers. If this poor dog is still there in a week (it probably will be because of it's age) then I am going to get her. She's a good dog and deserves a good home. It's great that this is a no kill shelter, but still, living in a shelter for the rest of it's life doesn't seem right either. I swear, if I had land I would be in trouble.

By Czarina on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:05 am:

ask for the dvd, and return it to wal-mart.

By eri on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:37 am:

I don't want to ask them for anything right now. I am just irked. God forbid I want this cute little dog, but hey, my sister can have a new car, cuz she and her hubby need two cars, even though she doesn't work or do anything but sit on her ass and pretend to sleep all damned day. I just tired of the double standard and don't bother to ask for anything. Why be involved in it at all?

By semillama on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 12:01 pm:

That's a nice looking dog there. Hope it works out.

Trace could probably use a puppy-dog to help him stop stressing out, too.

So could patrick - maybe they could share!

They could name it "Anti-American Pro-Bush Motherfucker" and teach it to sniff out traitors and SUV drivers.

By eri on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 12:32 pm:

Thanks Sem. I just got back on the website and she is still there. Here's hoping she will be there next Monday and we can pick her up.

Finding a name for her has been a difficult thing. Somehow I think that "Anti-American Pro-Bush Motherfucker" just wouldn't sound right coming out of the mouths of our kids, and it might be hard for Micki to remember.

Right now we have been discussing:
    Gracie-Lou (a joke)
    Arwen
    but when I look at her I think:
    Aimee or Mia

I dunno. I am afraid to get my hopes up that she will still be there, but too late.

By eri on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 12:41 pm:

I am also concidering volunteering at the shelter, working with the animals. The next class isn't until the first Saturday in April and I would have to come up with $10 for the apron and insurance. I am afraid that would be like asking for trouble, though. Just being there brought out the animal rights activist in me. I love working with the dogs that are scared and trying to help them overcome their fears so that they can be good family pets. Help find them good homes. I would drive myself nuts!

By eri on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 11:31 am:

They finally updated the website after yesterday's adoptions and additions. I was scared that she wouldn't still be there. I am checking all of the time to make sure she is still there. She is. They got some more dogs in and have lots more pictures up, and they had a bunch of cats get adopted out but she is still there! Yeah. Let's hope she is still there in a week so we can get her!

By Spider on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 12:08 pm:

Eri, can you put a claim on the dog so no one will adopt her?

By Spider on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 12:10 pm:

She looks so sad and sweet -- I hope you get her.

By eri on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 12:51 pm:

I can't put a claim on her. The best they can do is put a paper note in her tag that says "someone is filling out an application for this animal" which they did on Saturday afternoon, but who knows how long it will be there.

She is so sad and sweet and meek and gentle and quiet and well behaved. She just wants to be loved and cared for. She just lets the kids pet her and love on her and she doesn't make a peep. She's kinda shy, but not much, just cautious I guess. Damn, I am not a big dog person but I WANT THIS DOG.

By trace on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 01:07 pm:

as long as she is still there, baby

By Spider on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 01:36 pm:

How old is she?

Man, I want a sad, gentle dog...*sniff*

I wasn't allowed to have pets when I was little, and now I live in a studio apartment, so forget it. But when I buy my first house, I'm getting a dog to go with it.

By eri on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 01:59 pm:

She's a little over 3 years old. She recently had puppies you can see her stomach sagging still and they said that she has already been fixed.

Too bad you don't have room. There is another awesome dog there, older and probably won't find a home. A 10 year old Australian Shepherd who is just a love, but too big for our place with the cats and hamsters.

I had pets as a kid. We had one dog from the time I was like 5 until I was 13-14, but she got out one night during a thunderstorm and who ever found her wouldn't give her back. I don't blame them, she was a wonderful dog and my sister abused her, so they were probably scared to give her back. I always wanted a sweet little love of a dog like her again, but haven't found that dog with the right personality.

By trace on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 02:32 pm:

dont forget the fish that also dwell in the Hixon Menagerie

By eri on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 03:35 pm:

They don't take up much room, though.

By Doggie on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 10:11 pm:

Get the dog, eri. Shit, I'll lend you the money if that's what's holding you back.

Life with cats == pretty good
    Life with cats & hamsters == same as life with cats
    Life with cats & hamsters & a dog == priceless

By Gee on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 10:26 am:

Baby! She's the cutest. I hope she likes to play and gets all excited and sticks her tongue out a lot.

I watched a Toronto Humaine Society special on TV last week. goddam those people! I was crying so hard that I had to take my glasses off.

By eri on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 11:47 am:

We took her out to a pen at the humane society last Saturday. It was big and enclosed and had balls and toys for the people and dogs to play with. No one in over 3 years has taught her how to play ball. Sad. She didn't have a clue what to do. She comes to me when I call her but doesn't understand to go get the ball.

Monday, if she is still there we will get her, cuz we don't have the moolah today. Spunky has to pick her up and do the paperwork, cuz I haven't had my ID transferred over to this state yet, so they won't let me do it.

Here's hoping!! I am going to see if they updated the site with yesterdays adoptions and additions yet.

By patrick on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 11:58 am:

PUPPY!

im happy, your giving that sweet girl a home.

nothing jerks a tear with me like a pound puppy.

By eri on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 12:10 pm:

I know what you mean Patrick. I am a total sucker when I see a sweet little animal stuck up in a kennel. It just breaks my heart. Especially the older ones that aren't all that likely to get adopted. Most people want some little puppy and not an older dog.

I just found out that the county only holds an animal for 3 days before the put it to sleep. 3 days. It has always taken me more than 3 days to find any animal I might have lost. They don't adopt them out either. That just sucks.

They didn't update the website yet. I just hope she is still there. If she is, Happy Birthday to me!!!!

By eri on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 12:35 pm:

They just updated the website. She is still there! 6 days to go!

By Gee on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 02:58 pm:

Well?

By eri on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 03:11 pm:

We went up there and got the application. In order to adopt her, we have to prove all of our previous pets have had their vet visits on time and show vet receipts, they contact the apartment complex and get permission for us to adopt an animal (we already have that taken care of with our cats), we have to take it to a vet appointment within the first week and prove it and show them proof of payment, and we have to give them the right to come to our home without warning to check up on the animal for a year! Those are just what I came up with off of the top of my head. I got tired of them being rude and then this whole process was assinine. Not that I don't intend to take my pets to the vet and make sure they are taken care of and all of that, but this is bullshit.

I guess that is what you get when you go to a no kill shelter.

I met a woman at a pet store who takes in stray and/or abused animals and nurses them back to health and then puts them up for adoption. Her prices are a little higher, but she is trying to start her own shelter in the neighboring county (they don't have one at all) and is doing this all out of love for the animals. We are keeping in touch until we can find a dog that is small enough for our apartment and has the right temperment. I felt much more comfortable with her. She was really good at making sure that the dog we pick would fit into our family, cats, kids and all.

I think it is still just a matter of time before we find the right dog. Though Spunky has his heart set on this Dingo/Australian Shepherd that this lady had out for adoption. hehe.

By kazoo on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 04:41 pm:

damn. Why can't I just write you a letter of recommendation?

By eri on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 04:53 pm:

I am sure we would need a few letters of recommendation in addition to a homestudy. For chrissakes it was like trying to get the step-parent adoption for Hayley with the only difference being whether or not we paid $1000 for the homestudy!

We will still find the perfect dog in need of a loving home. We will. It's just going to take longer than we thought.

Also, that particular dog, we discovered, likes to run off at high speed and likes to attack other animals (she tried to attack every dog she saw when I took her for a walk) so I don't know if having her around the cats is a good idea.

By spunky on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 05:15 pm:

I want the dingo

By Czarina on Wednesday, April 2, 2003 - 10:40 am:

SpunkDingo & ERI........

Why don't you save yourselves the hassle and $'s?

Call every vet in town, and ask if they know of anyone who has such and such a dog that needs a home. You will be amazed at the variety of good,well mannered,up to date on health matters, animals that need good homes.

There are a variety of reasons people have to get rid of their pets, moving, divorce, etc. But there are a shitload of good pets,free, that would love to become part of your family.

Happy hunting!

By sarah on Wednesday, April 2, 2003 - 01:42 pm:

my friend jeremy has the coolest dog EVER and she's a dingo.

By Dont Know on Wednesday, April 2, 2003 - 02:18 pm:

A dingo ate your baby

By Gee on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 02:17 pm:

I miss Oz.

By Spider on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 02:25 pm:

So....didja get the dingo?

By eri on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 02:50 pm:

I think the dingo was already gone. Lots of other people were trying to get at it even when we were looking at it.

I will admit I haven't been actively looking for a dog as much. I have been pretty busy. When things slow down a little (hopefully in the next couple of weeks) then I will start looking again. That is unless we get transferred. I am kinda waiting to see what happens with that, too.

By mooni on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 03:53 pm:

So do I Gee, I'm rewatching Season Two, and its all where he keeps seeing Willow and saying 'Who IS that girl'.

By Gee on Wednesday, April 9, 2003 - 09:25 am:

He was the perfect boyfriend. Except for the part where he cheated with that wolfchick, but I blame her skanky ass for that anyway.

yesterday I read the directory for York U., just for fun. We have someone here named Wolfram, and someone else named Hart. We also have a Giles.

there were more funny names, but I left my list at home.

By moonit on Wednesday, April 9, 2003 - 03:58 pm:

I know - he was cute and funny, and had stage presence. Will they bring him back for the final??????

By Darcie on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 09:45 pm:

I have A dingo AN import that we have to part with due to unforseen circumstances she was raised with my two daughters both under 5 and is excellant extremely well trained easy to handle loves ball and frisbey likes other animals if interested contact me at desertdames@wmconnect.com

By Kimsmith on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 12:43 pm:

do you have any dog or puppies up for adoption
    in hamilton

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact