Do as I Did

sorabji.com: What do you want?: Do as I Did
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Lt. Gen. Ion Mihai Pacepa on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 08:15 pm:

I appeal to you, the generals of Iraq's Republican Guard, to follow my example and turn your arms against your country's tyrant. I can assure you that you will never regret taking that patriotic step.

History repeats itself, and if you can live two lives, you have a chance of seeing that repetition with your own eyes. In my other life, I also served a terrorist dictator, who had transformed his country into a monument to himself and created his own dynasty. Nicolae Ceausescu was a Romanian Saddam, who starved his people to build palaces for himself and spent the country's wealth to produce weapons of mass destruction in order to fulfill his megalomaniacal dreams. Like you, I held a high position at the top of my country's society, when I broke with Ceausescu: a two-star general, personal adviser to the president, acting chief of his espionage service, and state secretary in his ministry of interior. Like you, I also lived a privileged life in the dictator's entourage, in which every material need was generously provided by the government. But eventually, the prospect of being judged by history as an accomplice of one of the world's most despicable dictators convinced me to give up everything.

Now, at this historic moment for your country, I call upon you, my fellow generals, to follow in my footsteps, and I assure you, you will never regret it. On July 28, 1978, when I made my break, I was exactly three months short of the round age of fifty, and I have never looked back. I knew that it would not be easy starting my life over from scratch with no tangible possessions but the clothes on my back, but the anticipation of finally being a free man and living in a free society was irresistible. Today I have a marvelous new life, and my native Romania is becoming a flourishing democracy. I am proud that I have done what I could to help Romania cast off the evils of its past and make its way into the modern world.

My fellow generals, do as I did. Break away from your tyrannical dictator before it is too late. Expose his crimes against humanity to the world, as I have done with those committed by Ceausescu. Catch your fugitive tyrant, as my fellow Romanian generals caught Ceausescu in December 1989, when he went into hiding in an attempt to escape the revolutionary wave sweeping Communist dictators off the face of Eastern Europe. Make Saddam pay for his crimes, as Ceausescu did for his — with his life.

Like Romania, Iraq has an ancient and proud history and culture. Both countries were conquered by the Ottoman Empire, both became honorable kingdoms, and both were in the last century taken over by despicable dictators. Join the coalition forces fighting Saddam Hussein, and you will also enjoy an honored place in your country's history.

By patrick on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 11:45 am:

sucka

By trace on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 04:55 pm:

A "popular civilian uprising" is reported to have taken place in the southern Iraqi city of Basra, according to British military intelligence officials.

This is what I'm talking about

By trace on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 05:05 pm:

"Open source reporting has it that there was some form of uprising this afternoon against the Baath party. I do understand that the Shia population attempted to attack the ruling party," he said on Sky television.

"The ruling party responded by firing mortars at the crowd that was advancing towards them, our artillery responded to that with shells and mortars.

"We are carefully assessing the situation at the moment and certainly I'm sure that some action will be forthcoming in the morning," Mr Lockwood added.

Iraqi Information Minister Mohammed al-Sahhaf denied that any revolt had taken place.

"The situation is stable. Resistance is continuing and we are teaching them more lessons. This announcement [of an uprising]... stems from a feeling of frustration" on the part of the British, he told Qatar-based al-Jazeera television.

By trace on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 05:05 pm:

they are lobbing grenades at their own citizens that were helping the brits..
    No, the Iraqi's aren't trying to tell us something....

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact