45 "bonus" years to live?

sorabji.com: What do you want?: 45 "bonus" years to live?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rowlf on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 06:08 pm:

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_793384.html?menu=news.latestheadlines

A pill which scientists claim could increase average life expectancy to 120 years is to be tested in Scotland.

Steve Parkinson, the Scottish-born president of US pharmaceutical giants CereMedix, revealed the drug is set to be trialled there.

Its creators say the drug will slow down the signs of ageing by repairing and restoring the body's natural defences, reports the Daily Record.

At present, average life expectancy in Britain is 75 years old.

The new pill contains the protein ependymin, which is produced by the brain and stimulates the body into making its own disease-fighting antioxidants.

These are found in fruit and vegetables, and researchers claim the new pill has the equivalent effect of eating 30lbs of fruit and vegetables every day.

Mr Parkinson said: "Everyone taking a pill will feel better and have more energy. Instead of pumping the patient full of chemicals, we will be giving them a more natural drug."

Now trials at Edinburgh University will see if help is at hand and test the drug on those with lung disease.

The university's Professor Bill MacNee says it could also have a huge effect on the treatment of Alzheimer's and strokes.

He said: "If it works, it will have all sorts of implications, not only for lung conditions but any other disease in which oxidative stress plays a part."

er... is this a good thing, really? Would that cause more or less problems? On one hand, people might start calming down and become less fearful if they know they have a longer life ahead of them, on the other hand, this planet is already incredibly overpopulated.... imagine what this would do to the job market, to things like retirement..

retire at 60, then live another 60? on what? or be forced to work another 20-30 years to make sure you have enough to cover it?

Would this cause more or less misery in the world? Discuss...

By semillama on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 07:11 pm:

I don't know. If I felt great at 60 because of this, why would I want to retire? or maybe go back to school instead. It would do interesting things to family structure in the west, as more and more families would have active grandparents and great-grandparents, and even great-great-grandparents, to help raise children.

But you can kiss Social Security goodbye, I bet.

By heather on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 09:11 pm:

you can already kiss it goodbye

i think the idea of retirement is ridiculous.
    people live for it, work for it, hate their jobs.
    planning to retire exactly at a certain age is
    bizarre.

my dad told me that 80% percent of the guys
    that retire from ford die within the next few
    years.

i work for my work. i don't plan to retire.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 11:14 pm:

then there is me, who retired just before my 29th birthday and is now counting down the days until i die. if i want my money to last beyond my years i'll need to take my cue from the ford guys.

By Antigone on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 08:59 am:

Live within your means, booty head.

Or, you can come work for me. :)

By Spider on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 10:21 am:

So, would you be a spry 90-year-old with this drug, or would you still be withered and decrepit but just hang on for an extra 30 years?

And then...we'd have exploding birth rates and old people who aren't dying...where would we fit all these people?

By sarah on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 11:59 am:

my grandfather worked for ford his whole life, retired at the exact right retirement age, and the ugly bastard refuses to die.

what else is there in life besides work? i mean, even if you had all the money in the world, wouldn't you still want to do *something*? would you really want to just sit around and watch tv for the rest of your life? wouldn't even constant traveling get old?

i think the majority of people have to make things, create things, until they're too old to function (which is fucked up, btw. people shouldn't live beyond humane functionality). i think it's in their nature.

By Antigone on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 12:29 pm:

"what else is there in life besides work?"

I'm going to learn how to make a sword from scratch, carve wood sculpture, (or resin sculpture if there's no wood left) and learn esperanto. And that's just the first five years after retirement.

By patrick on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 12:34 pm:

im convinced weekly household chores such as the 1 acre lawn-mowing, various in-house repairs (i.e. toasters, rocking chairs, electrical outlets), a veggie garden, 9 holes of golf, homecooked (i.e. non-instant) meals and meticulous, multi-store grocery shopping amongst other things have kept my grandfolks running past 90.

Only recently did it become clear my grandfather shouldnt drive anymore when a 2 mile round trip to the recycling dump turned into a fiasco that found him on the other side of town (20+ miles), confused, with police and a banged up fender. he told police that he must have hit someone because he had been walking in wet grass earlier (he surveys the wetness to determine cut-ability) and his foot slipped off the brake pedal. WHUT?

Anyway, the car keys have been taken away, but Im with heather. retirement, at least as we know it is for the birds. i may not come to a job everyday but damned if i'll stop functioning and creating.

By Rowlf on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 05:50 pm:

if I had the extra time and money, I'd just go to school my whole life, learn everything, take periods in between to apply the knowledge... constantly doing something else, learning a little of what you like, mastering what you love...

I was just thinking what this pill would do politically... pandering to 110 year olds, a new layer of senior citizens to cater to, a new layer of senior citizens running shit. It would be horrible.

By semillama on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 06:16 pm:

Not if you're one of those senior citizens.

Besides, they're going to spend all their time playing PlayStation 10 or something.

Me, I'll be honing up on martial arts and kickin' ass.

or not.

By Moooflowers on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 05:13 pm:

I've only done a small fraction of the things in life I wanted to do. If these pills work, after putting in all the 'drudge time to make money' years, we can do stuff we WANT to do. I plan on becoming a stone mason, landscaping my property, maybe taking up drywalling and then going back to school if necessary.

I always figured it would be great to have the older people around longer to help raise the kids, grand kids etc. Maybe you wouldn't need a village then. And maybe you wouldn't need social security as much, as you would be healthy longer, work longer and generally carry your own weight.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact