To travel your way...

sorabji.com: What do you want?: To travel your way...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By moonit on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 06:38 am:

So, I've handed in my resignation at the ad agency, I'm starting a lesser paid, but more supportive workplace on 1st of September. But I'm thinking about the dinero value of my leaving (holidays & back pay), and trying to decide how much of it I squirrel (sorry Hal) away to kickstart my saving to get to LA.

I figure if I save as much as I can, I can get enough money to get there in around 18 months. This would include my accomodation and travelling money and food and of course 'I went to the US and all I bought my mom was this crap t-shirt' souvenier.

At this point it doesn't look like the Pandyr wants to come - despite my attempted bribes of 'how about one week in the US and two in Canada?' But if he changes his mind it might take me a bit longer to make it.

The only thing I'm scared about coming on my own is that I might find it harder to get all the places I want to. Suggestions?

By moonit on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 06:44 am:

Also, spring?? autumn??

By semillama on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 10:28 am:

Keep in mind we have the opposite seasons you do.

Rent a car and go. I would suggest starting in LA, visit Patrick, then head up the coast towards Seattle, then across the country to the East coast.

By heather on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:28 am:

totally...if you drive enough you may never need to pay for a place to stay

you will have to do the standard sorabji chores, however

By patrick on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 12:45 pm:

autumn, or spring.

try and avoid extremes of either kind.

why you given those punkasses up north two weeks?

we've got all the cool sparkly, glittery SNAP! CRACKLE! POP! right here.

Canada is worth....3 days max. Seriously.

:-)

By sarah on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 01:33 pm:

i love you moonit, but stay out of texas. you could get lost in this state, and if you do, it's so big, you may never get out.

the best time of year to travel in the US is late May through late June. it's gorgeous almost everywhere that time of year.

if i were you, i'd do Hawaii (it's on your way and i bet you have a layover there anyhow), NYC, San Francisco, maybe a national park or two...

By Lapis on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 04:04 pm:

Come see Portland! I'll take you to Finnegan's!

Are you going to rent a car or just fly/train it all the way?

By TBone on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 04:06 pm:

What's Finnegan's in Portland? Ours is a diner built over a small river.

By MapleLeaf on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 05:08 pm:

Patrick....slamming us again ???

3 days would barely get her out of Vancouver into the Rockies...then she's got the Prairies..Ontario....Quebec.....the Maritimes.

Couldn't think of a better route to get from West coast to the East coast of US.

Nice to see you again !!!!!! :0)

By Lapis on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 05:42 pm:

Finnegan's is a toy store, recently split in two.

Big Finnegan's has stuffed animals, board games and purple flavor (?) gum.

Little Finnegan's has Sanrio, a photo sticker machine, presidential paper dolls and leopard-print furry flasks.

By semillama on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 05:59 pm:

welcome back, mapleleaf. Your name has been used in vain in your absence, I must inform you.

By Hal on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 06:18 pm:

Screw Canada...

Moonit darling... If you don't come visit TBone, and I in Montana, I will be very dissapointed, and so will the squirrels.

By patrick on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 06:53 pm:

if it takes a Canuck jib, so be it you sumbitch.

stick around.

By TBone on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 07:30 pm:

Careful, Hal. Most foreigners and many southerners think Montana is in Canada.
    Often, that's a good thing.

By moonit on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:05 pm:

Drive???!!?? You buggers go on the wrong side of the road - theres no way I could drive. It would be bizarre!

While I'd love to go to Canada too, it was only a bribe offer for the Pandyr, and if he doesn't come, then its just the US for me....

The plane lands in LA. So I need to make my way from LA to New York (but not another plane ride) and figure if you're in between you may be visited.

By Lapis on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:50 pm:

Just asking.

Everyone's just all over, it's easier to meet up if you're driving. Of course we could just set up a international Sorabjite road trip.

By sarah on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 12:05 am:

Mapleleaf! holy crap! g'day hoser.

By J on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 01:59 am:

I thought he was dead.

By dave. on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 02:59 am:

no, that's fetidbeaver.

moonit: drive. you have a dozen or more tour guides here. drive it.

whaddaya want? natural wonders? cultural experiences? urban excitement? off the beaten path?

you have a wealth of suggestions here.

By moonit on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 05:25 am:

really - I just want to go at a supermarket and marvel at your candy.

But seriously, I want to see everything, and unless I win lotto thats not going to happen.

By Hal on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 05:48 am:

God damn...

The only reason I fuck with the canadians is because most of the ones I know, I'd rather drink with then the fucking dumb shit americans who drink where I work every night. I swear to god these people make idiocy look like a profession.

Most of the Candians I know overall are kick ass people to hang around with.

I jib because I love.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 09:49 am:

Consider train, moonit. It will get you many places you want to go.

You should go to Atlanta for sure and visit Kazoo.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 12:43 pm:

train will cost you twice as much as a car and take you 10 times as long as a plane.

drive moonie, don't be a wuss. you could bus it i suppose.

nothing like seeing the ass end of america. actually i hear greyhound busses are actually quite nice these days.

if you have 3 weeks, you have to drive. thats the only way you can even consider seeing this place.

if you start in LA, I can help ease you into it.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 12:47 pm:

I took a commercial bus from Cape Cod to Boston on Sunday, and it was really comfortable. Sometimes I pass buses on the road that have TV sets hanging above each seat and advertise on-bus bathrooms on their sides. Taking a bus wouldn't be a bad way to see the US if you have a lot of time.

By Dougie on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 01:02 pm:

You were on the Cape, Spider? Where'd you go? What'd you do? I love Cape Cod.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 02:11 pm:

Briefly -- my mom and I just went to Hyannis to get the ferry to Nantucket. But when I was 12, I spent two weeks in South Orleans with my best friend and her grandparents -- THAT was a fun spring break. The grandparents lived right on Pleasant Bay.

I had a good time on Nantucket this weekend. We stayed with my aunt's step-sister, who lives there year-round (in a *huge* house). On Saturday, we spent the day wandering around the little town, and at night we went to the Boston Pops' benefit concert, which was cool because it was on the beach. We sat on blankets and had a picnic dinner and listened to the music and felt the sea-breeze....ahhhh. On Sunday, my aunt and cousin and I rode bikes to one of the beaches on the Sound-side and hung out there for a few hours. The weather was great, and the beach wasn't at all crowded.

Did you know Macy's department stores were founded by William Macy of Nantucket, and the red star logo was taken from the red star tattoos William got on his one and only sea voyage? Did you know that the Starbuck character in "Moby Dick" was named after the famous Starbuck family of Nantucket? (Starbuck is not related to the coffee house Starbucks, but the Nantucket Folgers are the Folgers coffee Folgers.) The story of Moby Dick was taken from the true-life story of the wreck of the "Essex," which was broadsided by a whale and sunk off the island. Herman Melville went to Nantucket and got the idea of for his novel there.

By Platypus on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 02:57 pm:

Must hit Northern California, Moonit. Must.

And excercise your god given right to drive.

By Dougie on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:09 pm:

Sounds great Spider. I haven't been able to do my annual trek out there and it doesn't look like I will get to this year. Probably have to settle for a 4 day weekend in Montauk or something, which is nice, but just not the same.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:13 pm:

Dougie, where do you usually go? Have you ever seen the shipwreck off the coast around Chatham? (You know what I'm talking about? I think it's called Stone Beach....if you stand on Stone Beach and look offshore, you can see a half-sunken ocean liner sticking out of the water waayyy off in the distance.)

By Spider on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:19 pm:

By Lapis on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 05:32 pm:

Bus over train. It's faster and cheaper.

Car over bus. If you're here, dammit, we want to see you. And that means running around crazily and taking pictures late at night in supermarket aisles.

By Hal on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 08:18 pm:

Come to the buring mountains of flame and excitement... YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO.

By moonit on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 12:33 am:

Jesus. I guess its time to fess up.

I can't drive. Well okay I have driven, but I don't have a license. Or a car. I am going to get my learner permit (shut up and stop laughing), but I doubt I'd be able to get an international one.

OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD PEOPLE - do you know how much that will freak me out?

By TBone on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 01:01 am:

Especially if there's like a billion lanes to choose from.
    We drive on the wrong side of the car, too.

You'll just have to select a chauffeur.
    My car's slow and noisy, but it goes. I could get the time off work...

Ok, so you should probably take a bus or something.

Come visit. I've got caaanndy....

By moonit on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 01:10 am:

if you have candy i am SO there.

I also meant to stalk Vin Diesel while I'm there, can one of you hook me up? heh

By Lapis on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 01:51 am:

ROAD TRIP!!!! Let's get walkie talkies and chase each other around the country in speeds in excess of 60 mph! Eat candy until we get sick! Steal lawn gnomes!

I don't have a car now, but I'll probably be driving again starting in January.

By Nate on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 02:54 am:

the secret best time to visit the san francisco bay area is october.

well, maybe not so secret.

i'd recommend renting a car in LA and driving north along to coast until you reach Seattle.

fuck the rest of the country. there is little good east of the west coast, and that which is good is so spread out that it isn't even worth it.

By moonit on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 06:45 am:

I wonder if I could bribe my friend Jamie to come. He could drive... hmm.

By Spider on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 09:46 am:

Hey, if you're coming in October, you have to go to the New England states in the Northeast. The trees will have changed colors by then, and you will see some spectacular sights.

Boston is a very nice city -- pretty clean, pretty safe, rich history, cheap and easy public transportation system...

By patrick on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 12:46 pm:

stop being a pussy and drive.

its like...not that hard. really. its not.

i concur with Nate and the bay area in October.

By Spider on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 12:52 pm:

There's no reason to drive if she doesn't want to -- buses are fine. Driving on the wrong side of the road when you're not even used to driving on the right side is understandably scary and dangerous, especially in heavy and fast traffic.

By MapleLeaf on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 01:23 pm:

Hello patrick,,,,,sarah,,,,,,and J....and the rest.

NO.....I am not dead.....finally retired....Freedom 55 is what it is called in Canada.....loving life.....playing lots of golf and actually working for a golf club. Maybe I am dead and have gone to heavon!!!!!

My name was taken in vain? suspect it had something to do with the Iraq War and Canada's reluctance to join in.

Remember this important thing......If you didn't vote for George W., what makes you assume that I voted for Johnnie Cruton (jean Chretien, Prime Minister of Canada)?

Don't get on here often these days but will try much harder.

SARAH!!! Loved the pics

By semillama on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 02:10 pm:

Bingo. Spunky was using it as an insult during an argument with your countryman, Rowlf.

By The Watcher on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 03:06 pm:

moonit,

There really is a lot of wonderful places to visit over here.

I suggest you get a lot of travel books and brochures and make up your own mind.

Everyone here thinks their home town or favorite vacation spot is the best. And, of course we are all right.

So pick the places you want to see. Most likely you won't go wrong.

By TBone on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 03:34 pm:

Actually, we just want to meet Moonit.
    There are lots better places to visit.

By The Watcher on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 04:08 pm:

By Platypus on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 04:57 pm:

Bay Area in October=YES!

Doesn't the CA driver's license count as an international drivers license, or I am totally on crack?

'Cause it just occurred to me that if it does, that's pretty cool.

We could play pass the moonit road trip, that would be exciting. Or you could go train hopping, I have several friends who are experts in that dubiously delightful mode of transit.

By moonit on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 05:31 pm:

pass the moonit. heh.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact