Lets talk about France

sorabji.com: What do you want?: Lets talk about France
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rowlfe on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 12:57 pm:

as the year comes to a close and I think about what the most annoying thing about 2003 was, it always comes back to France bashing, how they took the hit for just about every other non-"coalition" country, all 140 of them. It still aggravates me to the point where it turns me against average Americans sometimes, when its really always been the American government I've had issues with and how they and the media will whip the public into a frenzy...

So I saw this on a different message board and thought it was thoroughly appropriate.

We are very "French", we Americans!

1) We think "we are the best!"...just like the French.

2) We think eveyone should speak "English" just like the French think everyone should speak "French".

3) We are fiercely nationalistic in our love for our country....so are the French in their zealous love for their home.

4) We imagine that we have the best standard of living in the world....so do the French.

5) We think our schools provide the best education....so do the French.

6) We think the world would be a better place if more people could be like us...so do the French.

Here's a true story that will illustrate exactly what I'm trying to get at:

A few years ago when I was on my way back home from France, I saw a very well dressed and very polite French gentleman approach a cowboy in the Houston Airport. He asked "Parlez vous Francaise?" And the cowboy looked at him in disgust, put his big fists on his hips, spread his legs wide apart and bellowed...."Listen here buddy! You're in America now...and in America we speak American...O.K.?!" The cowboy turned on the heels of his cowboy boots and stomped away, mumbling as he went.

The poor Frenchman looked confused so I approached him, and said "See...we are just like the French! You should feel right at home here!" He laughed, relaxed his shoulders and shrugged and said..."C'est vrai. We are very much alike."

Americans claim French people are rude to them when they visit France because they will not speak English to them. How many Americans have you ever seen speak French to a French visitor in our country? One or two maybe if you're lucky. And I must confess the French are much more agreeable in this regard and will speak English with you if you ask them politely most of the time, unless they never took English in school.

After traveling throughout Europe and Great Britain, I found that the French were the most like us....happy, proud, relaxed, fiercely independent, glad to live where they lived and absolutely sure that they lived in the "best country on earth"! How American....how typically us!!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact