To diagnose my headache

sorabji.com: What do you want?: To diagnose my headache
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 04:15 pm:

I'm violating my own principle of not asking for medical advice on a message board before seeing a doctor because I don't have consistent access to health care.

So. I have had a headache since Sunday, June 26. It comes and goes, but when it comes, it stays for a few hours, at least. It's on one side of my head (left side), and the pain is focused behind my ear and far up on my forehead above my left eye (almost where my hairline starts). It's a sharp pain (not throbbing, like a migraine) and a stiff pain, almost like a stiff neck but up higher. The pain gets worse or better depending on how I move my head (also like a stiff neck) but it's always on the left side of my head (and my neck doesn't hurt). Right now it's pretty severe.

Does this sound like anything you've heard of?

I've investigated cluster headaches (because they can last weeks, too) but those are apparently localised around one of your eyes and can cause your eyelid to droop and your nose to water. This pain is primarily behind my left ear, and I don't have those other symptoms.

By TBone on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 07:30 pm:

Could still be cluster headaches maybe, but I don't know.

I suggest you take multivitamins, eat enough, drink lots of water, and chillax. Then see a doctor.

Have you taken anything?

Wish I could be more helpful. I've had long headaches like that, but never really found a solution.

By Antigone on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 08:08 pm:

Sounds like it could be a basilar artery migraine: linky

From the FAQ:
    "This type of migrane, or rather, 'migraine variant,' is normally characterized by a severe headache that often occurs in the occipital region (near the base of the skull in the back of the head), although the pain may also be in the region of the temporal lobe (above and just forward of the ear) and/or the eye (usually a bit above and behind the eyeball itself)."

I found this by searching google for "temporal lobe" and "headache"

By droopy on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 08:39 pm:

i've heard of it, spider. stop drinking that cheap liquor.

i got diagnosed today. lately i've been coming home from the bus station via jones street, which is sort of a back street. previously, i'd go up a couple of blocks to commerce street. it felt safer. too many people around to get mugged.

so i'm at the intersection of jones and 7th waiting for traffic to pass. suddenly i hear a voice - a woman's voice, but a harsh one. it kind of sounded like someone yelling "lorelei!" I look over and there's a woman of about 50 with buzz-cut hair walking up the sidewalk toward me. i said, "excuse me?" she said, "you're a lie! playin' crippled!" she looked angry. i guess she thought i was one of those people who waits at intersections with a cardboard sign or something begging for money.

traffic had passed, so i said "everybody loves to play" and went on my way. she said something else, but i didn't catch it.

part of me wanted to talk to her, see what was on her mind. another part was a little nervous - you never know when one of them will be nutty enough to try to dump you out of your chair to prove a point. but, most of all, i was tired and hot and i wanted to go home.

By eri on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 09:30 pm:

I have had headaches exactly like that. Used to get them in my 20's. Turns out they were stress related. A little meditation and a little incense and I was OK. I wish that was the worst of my headaches now.

My 5 year old got a migraine today at the babysitters house. Even got a low grade fever. She's fine now that I got her home and got medicine and food into her, but damn did she scare the babysitter. And our babysitter has raised 10 kids. Had me scared for a minute.

I am only working this week.

By heather on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 10:04 pm:

ear infection? sinus?

my squiddely spooge is acting up so i decided to drink more
    water, that's pretty much what i do for everything

By platypus on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 10:37 pm:

Drinking juice is my solution to everything. Spider, you should drink juice.

I remember when I was a really little kid, my best friend's mother's solution to every problem was "take a shit." Which is actually pretty rational advice, because few problems are so dire that a few moments on the can won't clear your head.

I'm watching a dvd the Department of Labour sent me called "Up From Zero." I may have mentioned this dvd somewhere else on the boards. It's fairly excellent. There's an awesome segment in the beginning about the history of ironworking in America and it's that part that I am watching.

By Antigone on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 10:50 pm:

"you're a lie! playin' crippled!"

Damn, droop. That's such a west Texas moment. :)

By Nate on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 11:44 pm:

how much caffeine are you drinking each day? is your jaw tight? do you clench your teeth? do your teeth ache in the morning?

are you getting enough sleep? how often do you see the sun? have you gained weight recently?

do you have feelings of hopelessness? are you depressed? are you stressed?

i went on six weeks medical leave due to headaches similar to what you're describing. they got worse and worse, killing my ability to sleep, largely destroying my sanity.

i had the headache for about nine weeks. i started with fiorinal, which got rid of the headache but made me whacky and fun and just wasn't maintainable. then i went to a cocktail of celebrex, xanaflex and zoloft. that pretty much made me lose my mind, but became managable when i dropped the xanaflex.

then the six weeks out, which cured the shit.

at least temporarily. to date.

i hope you figure it out.

By patrick on Thursday, July 7, 2005 - 11:48 am:

you might try cutting out the refined sugars and caffeine spider.

thats torture. i hope it gets better.

i don't get headaches anymore unless large and inappropriate amounts of booze are involved.

when i was 19, i was OD-ing on caffeine and sugar and when i started cutting back i got brutal, blinding headaches. so bad, i got a ride to the emergency room.

droop, do pack heat?

By Spider on Thursday, July 7, 2005 - 01:45 pm:

....And today I'm fine. The headaches are so weird.

Antigone, the description of the pain sites in that paragraph are exactly where I feel the pain. It is strongest behind my ear, but I also feel it above my ear on the side of my head and in my forehead. But I have no other migraine symptoms (no auras, no nausea, etc.). However, I have had occular migraines (where I have just the auras/blindness and no pain) in the past, and my mother gets migraines regularly, so the tendency is there.

I don't drink any caffeine, and the first headache came when I was on a plane (making me think it was dehydration-related), so I've been drinking lots and lots of water (and even juice!), but that doesn't help.

It may be stress related, because the pain is worse when I'm at school (I run a summer reading program until July 22), but I wasn't feeling tense yesterday. However, one night, the pain had gone only to return literally the instant one of my roommates brought up summer school. Coincidence?

Other than that, I sleep pretty well, I take walks every day, and I don't feel any more hopeless than usual.

I'm going to Las Vegas for a family reunion tonight, so I can ask my doctor uncle what he thinks about all this tomorrow.

Droop, you should start developing telekinesis.

By Spider on Thursday, July 7, 2005 - 01:57 pm:

I just read this about tension headaches:

The situation get more serious if you have frequent tension headaches; that is, you get them every month, maybe as often as every other day. You may even have chronic tension headaches - 15 days a month or more.

Typical Tension Headache Symptoms:
    Tension headaches often feel like a band of pressure around your head. Your head may feel like it's being held in a vice. If you have a really bad tension headache, you may even experience nausea. Tension headache pain is usually on both sides of the head, though it may be on one side like migraine. Tension headache rarely throbs like a migraine would – it's a steady pain.

That sounds right -- ~15 days long, steady non-throbbing pain on one side of the head, and since they're caused by the cranial muscles contracting, that would explain the stiff-neck feeling.

By droopy on Thursday, July 7, 2005 - 02:02 pm:

i'm focusing all of my telekinetic energies on you right now, spider - on the nerves, muscles, and blood vessels of your head.

smile.

i don't pack heat.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 02:15 pm:

I think chocolate do cause headache in some way. such as cafinee. Any idea?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact