My life in California back

sorabji.com: What do you want?: My life in California back
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 02:44 pm:

The wife suspects latent post-partum.

Who knows.

After 3 months working for Budwesier, managing some 80 accounts, very successfully, I've been laid off again. Second time, I've been let go, despite a successful work performance. The only reason is my manager acted terribly irresponsibly, did not disclose the 20% chance of having my route eliminated and being the new guy, Im the first to go.

Salesman of the month, oh and by the way, we have to let you go. ( I have lots of stories I must share. It was culture shock to work for such a company, let me tell you)

I've really come to hate my lower middle class life.

It's easy to forget the problems we had yesterday, but moving here was probably the worst idea I've ever had. Nothing has panned out. All of the reasons for leaving California have flopped. Relationship with ex is worse, Eva takes the brunt of it; my parents are completely non-supportive of anything; we are terribly alone. The 5 miles that seperates us might as well be 3000. We've gotten more support from our neighbors than my self-involved golfing parents. The economy here sucks balls. The culture here thinks its way more interesting than it really is. The culture here is primarily driven by old white money. Old, boring white ass money. The latest and greatest state of the art peformance theatre in Durham, a lovely place, gets nothing but garbage, traveling broadway musicals by second and third rate actors and musicians you have never heard of. They think its great. They think Garrison Keeler is a hoot. I want to assinate the mother fucker.

And to top things off, our dearest "friends" are our neighbors who are least 25 years our seniors. We can't make friends to save our lives and we've stopped trying after 2 years. We miss entertaining and in general having social interaction.

Alone, isolated and depressed.

We'll probably loose our house. I have little to no interest in being a father. And in general sick and tired of being sick and tired. I see a path for me and it blows.

At least in California, despite being expensive I had a interesting job that I would still have today, as would my wife. Have friends. Had healthcare and access to a therapist and I'd still most likely have my Camaro (sigh).

We've talked about selling everything but the Steinway and heading for the Florida keys. Accept the fact that we'll probably be bartenders for the rest of our lives and live in a trailer along the canals there. At least we'll be near the water, Hazel will learn how to fish, Eva will have a place to come for summers.

I want my life in California back because North Carolina sucks balls. Why would I have ever thought that all the reasons I left this place in the first place would have changed, or they would no longer affect me?

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 12:41 am:

I am sorry about that patrick, hopefully you will be finding a new path of career that will be promising for you.

By Dougie on Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 10:51 am:

Very sorry to hear that Patrick. Is moving back to CA a possibility?

By platypus on Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 01:44 pm:

Ugh, Patrick. I'm sorry everything is turning to
    shit for you. I hate it when all the options narrow
    and you are left with a sea of equally unappetizing
    alternatives.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 02:01 pm:

Patrick, A friend of mine gave me a advise: If your life is on the end of a rope, you can stay with the relatives such as your parents or your brother or sister until you get all of your life back together or start everything from the rock bottom. It's the best way for you to start your life all over by staying with your relatives.

From my point of view, I have seen this before, the last two years, few of the homeowner been evicted. The worst part was a mother with three sons were forced to move out.

By Daniel on Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 04:25 pm:

Well, for god,s sake don't sell the steinway. It will weight the
    trailer down in hurricane.

By heather on Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 07:39 pm:

I love when the options narrow, though they never really do.

<3 Patrick.

By sarah on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 10:32 am:

i think he needs candy.

By platypus on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 02:45 pm:

sarah, is this a none too subtle hint to get a candy
    exchange in before summer?

By moonit on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 03:53 pm:

I think he needs beer :)

By wisper on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 02:58 am:

move to Asheville, hoola hoop for a living

By patrick on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 10:40 am:

the problem with places like asheville is its highly incestuous and everyone there thinks they are so great for living there. asheville is like durham times infinity.

id hate everyone there within a month.

its pretty there to be sure.

i appreciate the thoughts everyone.

im better today. i reached a point over the weekend where i didnt even want to be around my kids and regretted having them. havent really had a depression episode like that, ever. lot of anger to fuel that fire. thankfully the wife having suffered from such was able to isolate me until some fog cleared.

on a positive note...

a beer exchange could be interesting and also challenging with local laws and bubble wrap. but it could be done.

the model would have to be different in that it would be constructed like a secret santa. everyone gets one beer. im game if anyone else is.

also my baby likes to eat leaves.

she also is one. and decided day after turning one that crawling is for ...well...babies.

she goes zooooooooooooooom!

she face-eats her cake on flickr

By Nate on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 04:28 pm:

UPS is happy to pack and ship beer.

By platypus on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 04:34 pm:

I'm sensing a beer round robbin in my future.
    Booyah.

By sarah on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 04:41 pm:

if i can't have candy, i'll take beer.

By patrick on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 05:47 pm:

damn

its nate

By UPS on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 05:52 pm:

nate is right. we're even happier when you give us one of that six pack you are shipping.

By patrick on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 05:55 pm:

so, how about it?

collect a list of names and addresses. an organizer (me? i've got time) then sort them by alphabet, zip code? everyone gets a name and address to send a beer too. Ideally should be something interesting local or completely off the wall.

could then start a thread of beer reviews.

By patrick on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 05:56 pm:

nate, shoot me a message when you get a second.

By sarah on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 06:09 pm:

i'm in.

By platypus on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 08:46 pm:

I am totally in. We have tons of interesting
    breweries around here, it will be tough to decide
    what to send!

By patrick on Tuesday, March 1, 2011 - 03:29 pm:

ok then. shoot me a quick note to opt in. lets get this rolling.

By agatha on Friday, March 4, 2011 - 12:50 am:

I don't like beer, and Dave doesn't drink no mo, but I'd be down for candy whenever we decide to do that.

And Patrick, sorry you're going through that right now. If it helps, I hated Olympia for years before I decided I liked it. Now I'm happy to live here. Maybe join a club or something to meet some new people? It will make all the difference. I think things started to shift for me when I started feeling more invested in my community- probably around the time I started working at the library. Good luck, dude.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact