I wish you were here.

sorabji.com: I wish you were...: I wish you were here.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By XenaKaBoom on Tuesday, February 10, 1998 - 12:55 am:
    The loneliness is engulphing me.
    I am not in an existential crisis.
    My feet are firmly on the ground.
    That does not preclude me from enjoying the immediacy of your presence.

By The schoolmarm on Tuesday, February 10, 1998 - 01:00 pm:
    Xena-

Twice now: engulf has no "ph".

Sorry, but while most misspellings, grammar manglings, etc. go by unheralded, this was really bugging me.

Thank you.

By Golden Boy on Tuesday, February 10, 1998 - 01:35 pm:
    Att: Xena and Schoomarm

Phuck it....then again it is getting to mee two. it'll blow the meaning of your writing way off by distracting the likes of us blokes...

Sincerely,

The Oniferous

By The schoolmarm on Tuesday, February 10, 1998 - 03:13 pm:
    It was so distracting because it put me in mind of Guelph each time, which yeah, blows the meaning of her writing slightly off, as I don't think she was trying to evoke a city in Ontario named in honor of the British royal family.

Though you never know. Being enguelphed by loneliness is a poetic statement in itself. Not one that I'd make, mind you, and I don't think the good burghers of Guelph would warm to it, but still.

And take your feet off that desk, Mr. Odiferous.

By Engorged on Tuesday, February 10, 1998 - 03:57 pm:

By Humbert on Tuesday, February 10, 1998 - 04:34 pm:
    Circles within circles, man. It's all connected. It's the weasels, I'm telling you. They're behind it all. Coincidence? Don't think so. Damn their beady little eyes.

By Erect on Tuesday, February 10, 1998 - 05:49 pm:
    Engorged is one of those words that just can't apply to anything else anymore. A shame really.

By XenaKaBoom on Tuesday, February 10, 1998 - 05:59 pm:
    Hey Teacher---I have learned my lesson:

Style over substance!
    Style over substance!
    Style over substance!
    Style over substance!
    Style over substance!

By Christopher on Tuesday, February 10, 1998 - 06:01 pm:
    ...The itching was almost unbearable now. Slamming the door on the way in, Helen ran up the stairs and made a beeline for the bathroom. She quickly undid her belt and dropped her jeans. She now saw what had been antagonizing since the early afternoon. There on her thigh was the largest tick she had ever seen in her life. ENGORGED on her blood, it resembled a tiny brown balloon. Helen lit a menthol cigarette, took a drag, and,With a feeling of deep disgust, shoved the glowing ember into the chitinous carapace of the struggling parasite. SSSSSsssssssssss...

There. Who says "engorged" can't take it's rightful place in respectable conversation.

By Dave on Tuesday, February 10, 1998 - 06:02 pm:
    Humbert,
    Have you heard Ween's song "Squelch the Weasel"? It's on their "God Ween Satan: The Oneness" CD. I think you might like it.

By Rick on Tuesday, February 10, 1998 - 06:32 pm:
    The same album has the song I Gots a Weasel. I'm starting to think Humbert's got a point.

By Markus on Tuesday, February 10, 1998 - 06:53 pm:
    Engorged is a great word.

So is weasel, for that matter. And juxtaposition. Synergy. Weltanschauung. Synchronicity. Cretinous (with the short e). Inherent. Deciduous. Nocturnal. Snippet. Uvula. Fortuitous. Eponymous. Beelzebub. Vulgarian. Clitoris. Schadenfreude. Preternatural. Lipid. Limpid. Limpet. Largess. Supple. Defenestrated. Proconsul. Astringent. Amorous. Bovine. Innocuous. Melee. Awry. Erstwhile. Ersatz.

Spatula spatula spatula.

Sorry.

By Plonk on Tuesday, February 10, 1998 - 09:56 pm:
    Spatula spatula spatula...
    Isn't that from _Carmina Burana_?
    What're you apologizing for?

By Pink Eye on Tuesday, February 10, 1998 - 10:01 pm:
    You forgot t-Octylphenoxypolyethoxyethanol

By Now this is an important detail on Tuesday, February 10, 1998 - 11:38 pm:
    actually, i always heard that lit cigarettes, matches, etc. were not the way to deal with a tick. heat just makes them dig in more. you may kill it but its little jaws will never let go.
    don't remember what works...alcohol?

By Deeply concerned on Wednesday, February 11, 1998 - 01:06 am:
    by the way, "chitinous carapace" is a wonderful construction, but i tend to doubt ticks would
    have one. They're too soft and squishy. We need an entomologist here, badly.

By Markus on Wednesday, February 11, 1998 - 09:51 am:
    Got a little carried away with the spatula thing. I'm much better now, thanks.

We just had a great performance of Carmina Burana here last week. Sneered at by the "professionals", of course, but popular with the populace.

I think we need a new topic heading for Great Words.

By Maggie on Wednesday, February 11, 1998 - 04:31 pm:
    Wow, and I'd given up on this topic entirely. But now! Ticks! Spatulas! Wow.

I recently had the dubious honor of relieving a friend of mine from a tick who'd decided to call him home (or "dinner," as the case may be).

I burned its behind, I drowned it in alcohol, I tried - very gently and steadily, both before and after the abovementioned singeing and dousing - to pull it out, but the darn thing wouldn't budge.

I finally gave up and called the Poison Control Hotline (remember, from the Mister Yuk stickers?). They made no mention of fire or demon alcohol, but said merely to pull steadily at a 45 degree angle from the skin.

Worked like a charm, head and all.

Eeew.

By Christopher on Wednesday, February 11, 1998 - 05:04 pm:
    Did it have a chitinous carapace? Sorry, Maggie, but in the absence of an entomologist, you're going to have to settle this

By Maggie on Wednesday, February 11, 1998 - 05:12 pm:
    Of *course* it had a chitinous carapace. It's an arthropod, isn't it? Glad I could help out. : )

By R.C. on Wednesday, February 11, 1998 - 11:26 pm:
    My grandma had 2 good remedies for tick removal -- turpentine or vaseline. A glob of vaesline smeared over the bugger (on my little brother's leg -- she shoulda left it there!) will suffocate the thing/until it as to let go. Turpentine srews up his wittle nervous system/producing the same result. The one time I tried yanking one off someone/the head was still in there. So I pried it out with a scalpel. A truly gross experience for both of us. Thank god it wasn't one of those Rocky Mountain spotted- fever- carrying ticks!

By Markus on Thursday, February 12, 1998 - 01:44 am:
    Probably a gross experience for all three of you.

By Fredescu on Thursday, February 12, 1998 - 05:22 pm:
    Markus - You've obviously never had your body yanked off your head before. Quite an experience I assure you.

By Christopher on Thursday, February 12, 1998 - 06:44 pm:
    "I found it Quite stimulating, actually"
    -Dr. Edward Pretorious, on having his head ripped off.
    "From Beyond"

By Antigone on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 01:19 am:

Ressurection's a bitch, ain't it?

By Nate on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 02:30 am:

as in, why the fuck did you resurrect this thread?

By Spider on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 08:32 am:

Why can't we have conversations like that anymore?

By J on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 09:48 am:

I miss Markus.

By Czarina on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 09:49 am:

I'm amazed that anyone would find the word "engorged" inappropriate for everyday conversation.

I believe I use it daily in my communication.If not verbally,it at least comes to mind,a time or two.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 11:45 am:

some people like to scape goat me spider, i know this, but think the idea is absurd.

i was reading an old thread recently.

indeed the conversation seemed less fat free sometime ago.

By droopy on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 11:49 am:

going back to the beginning of this thread - i think "engulping" should be a word.

By Czarina on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 11:57 am:

In a sexual sense,I think it is.

Droop,send me your email addy.

By Spider on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 12:50 pm:

Patrick, you are not someone I would blame for this.

By Spider on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 12:52 pm:

By "this," I mean the fat.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 01:01 pm:

probably something to do with global warming and this damned recession.

By Cat on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 04:43 pm:

I blame it on the sunshine, but not on the boogie.

By moonit on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 12:15 am:

what about the moonlight? or the good times?

They've got to have something to do with it.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact