Weird 800 Number

sorabji.com: The Payphone Project: Weird 800 Number
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By The Falcon on Tuesday, May 19, 1998 - 07:03 pm:
    This number I dialed up had a strange ringing and then a recorded voice asks for "your telephone number" meaning whatever phone you are at -enter that phone number. I did this at a payphone and after that, I waited and a beep sounded and then it hangs up.

Could this be a pager company number?
    Here is the number 1-800-345-0965

By Pet on Wednesday, May 20, 1998 - 12:59 pm:
    You're right....very strange.

Probably just gathering some personal data in order to create the master file of our lives....

By Pet on Wednesday, May 20, 1998 - 01:04 pm:
    Which reminds me....

the only reason I got caller i.d. in the first place was because I kept getting hang-up calls....once I had the caller i.d. I was able to call this company back, only the line was always busy. When I was finally able to get through, all I heard was a weird dialing tone....

My opinion on this? I think it was a company that constantly calls numbers, and keeps calling them until someone picks up....that way they are able to create a record of when someone is home, and then sell that data to telemarketers, providing them with the times a person is most likely to be at home. Does that sound farfetched?

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Wednesday, May 20, 1998 - 06:21 pm:
    Not farfetched at all Pet. Good thought process. I don't know if I would ever have come up with that.

By The Falcon on Wednesday, May 20, 1998 - 07:38 pm:
    Sounds like a good "shen" to use when you have people who keep calling you and asking for [persons] who you do not even know or even live at that number. Their number will be ringing and probably they won't call anymore. [Their number has to show up on the Caller I.D.]
    When their number "comes up" on the display, write it down. The next time you're out cruising the town, find a payphone [safe location] and call that 800 number, that I posted earlier, enter the number of the other caller that keeps calling you and then if the calls stop -then this number must be working :)

I live in a small town, and we get strange calls once in a blue moon [which is one thing], nevertheless, we get calls from those whose number is out of area [that sucks] and cannot be displayed on Caller ID or *69 method.

By KaptainKrunk on Sunday, May 24, 1998 - 12:51 am:
    Judging by the type of ring that the 800 # had, it's probably a phone outside of the US. Since it doesn't do that weird ring twice thing like it does in the UK, it might be a collection thing. Oooooh! I just had a brain wave. Since telcos are pretty much the only ones who can control the type of ring, it may very well be a telco keeping a database of people who don't use their phone company then call them back. Those demonic little bastards.

By THE FALCON on Sunday, May 24, 1998 - 10:36 am:
    The ring sounded like a "horn". This sounded alot different from the US ringing we hear.
    It was a steady "horn" type sound -about mid pitch. No warbles, or changes in the tone.

Phones that have different sounds of ringing are from the factory and the Luscent Technologies phones that you might see at -Wal~Mart are one example. There are 2 switches on the right side, that "slide" to a "notch", to select the speed of the tone and the pitch.

Of course different phones have different styled ringers -> either the electro-mechanical bell, or the electronic tones that you hear in the "suit" business office, and in auto body shops that have that hi-to-low warbling sound.

(*"suit" refers to those who work in those big city high rise corporate office complexes or small town one story business office complexes.) This term was used in the mid 1980s movie "The Secret Of My Success"

By Darley on Saturday, May 30, 1998 - 06:07 pm:
    Falcon - Why did you dial that number in the first place? Where did you get it from?

Darley

By THE FALCON on Sunday, May 31, 1998 - 12:45 pm:
    Well, I thought it was a request line for 96.5 "The Planet" here in the Richmond (VA) area
    I found out it was the wrong number -nevertheless - I happened to find a "fax line" type signal.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a payphone number that I was able to acquire.

(804)-561-9984
    561 -> prefix in Amelia

I dialed this number and it rings until it this solid high pitched tone is heard.
    Could be a modem inside the phone.
    And of all places -this phone was right near the "Telco."

By Jerry again on Wednesday, August 26, 1998 - 06:54 pm:

800 number!
    the number you called is a series of numbers,
    agents call in to report intellagence/c.i.a.
    criminal related facts.the number asked for is idenification of agent.you have stumble into an unlisted government number!

By Markus on Thursday, August 27, 1998 - 12:05 pm:

Ferchrissakes, everyone calm down. It (the 800 number) is an ordinary pager number. If that's not obvious enough, it's easy to get the info from the SMS database, though there's no reason to post the subscriber details here.

Also, the ring that you hear when dialing a number has absolutely nothing to do with what type of telephone is hooked up to that line. You are obviously not hearing the actual phone ring. The "ringing" noise is just a tone sent down the line by the CO switch, which could be programmed to send any tone for a ring. So it depends on the telco as to what you hear for ringing, dial tone, busy, etc. Most of them in the US/Canada standardize on the set of tones that we've become accustomed to, but there are still a lot of tiny independents out there from pre-MFJ days, and increasing numbers of CLECS going into business since the 1996 Act.

If you're going to fool around with telecomms, take the effort to learn something about the basics. The difference between paranoia and skepticism is the difference between ignorance and education.

By Jim on Friday, October 23, 1998 - 01:14 am:

This number is the direct number to the oval office in washington.The number they want you to enter is a secerety clearance number only given to whitehouse staff and selected cia agents.

By Eliza on Wednesday, November 25, 1998 - 11:19 pm:

sorry, just popping up here. Please tell an ignoramus what a "telecom" is. Thanks

By Prpleape on Friday, December 18, 1998 - 12:49 pm:

telecom: Telecommunications company
    usually a telephone company or in some places, (If run by the government) a PT&T (Post, telephone & Telegraph)
    CO = central office, the place where the telephone switches, routers, cross-connect terminal equipments live. These equipments actually select a particular phone or whatever from among the many on a trunk.
    a Trunk= hmmm, akin to a giant pipeline with gazillions of data/telephone messages flowing through it. Some of this traffic is encrypted, some clear, some voice, some video, some email, some corporate, some junk, some spam, some etc.

By R.C. on Friday, December 18, 1998 - 09:08 pm:

Telcom I was hip to/but what is "pre-MFJ" & what are "CLECS"?

(Hold on... lemme get a pen so I can take notes...) This stuff facsinates me. Esp. since I suspect the only things that will be working come 00:01 2000 will be payphones & solar calculators.

Imagine people lined up for blocks just to use a payphone becuz all the satellites their cell phones utilize have crashed into the sea/& their local land-line phone co. is on the fritz. All the bodegas in NY will be selling quarters for 50¢.

By John on Saturday, January 2, 1999 - 09:51 am:

This 800 number is something you guys will have fun with for a long time but I doubt you'll get much hard information about it. I was in the USAF many years ago. I used to have a phone number in my little book that was a direct line to "Looking Glass". If we were detained by anyone in law enforcement we were to call this number and the FBI would come and get us out with no questions asked. But that was many years ago.
    (Looking Glass was the SAC Airborn National Command Post)Also all command SAC command posts had an unlisted number that was answered "hello", if ID was not properly given then the phone was hung up.

By Markus on Sunday, January 3, 1999 - 02:16 am:

Shaddup.

By Bojojo on Friday, January 29, 1999 - 12:32 am:

Wow!
    You guys really don't have a life...

By P.p. tech on Thursday, February 11, 1999 - 06:23 pm:

WHAT MAKES YOU THINK PAYPHONES WILL NOT BE AFFECTED BY YHE 2000 THING?

By P.P TECH on Thursday, February 11, 1999 - 06:28 pm:

most payphones modem will answer after 3 rd. ring to retrive billing records-coin totals-ect.(some 4th. ring) most p.phones with no number on lable wil not ring back,( no incoming calls)

By Sonic Boom on Sunday, February 21, 1999 - 08:03 pm:

you are all wrong about that number.
    I am sorry to say, I cant tell you hear,
    but if you call 603-787-6809 and ask for
    "Randy" I can tell you.

By JimmyJimmy on Thursday, March 11, 1999 - 05:35 pm:

hmm nice page, gonna have a lot of fun with these payhone numbers for a long, long time.
    Also, for anyone living in the UK, theres a lot of fun to be had with BT's 3-way call system, phone up a bank, technical helpline etc with 2 friends and you have an instant 'crossed line' and one bemused operator.....

By BeefEater on Saturday, May 15, 1999 - 06:19 pm:

Hay, Great page! Well, it's obvious now that we all love payphones and screwing with them. Anyways, I constantly dial random 1 800 #'s in hpe to find something interesting. Not to long ago I discover a number that was great fun. I and a few others would dial it and laugh and laugh. The number We found is 1 800 555 6945. It is a business line, however they are never there, thus leaving you great opportunities to create mischeif. *Beware is by chance they are there hang up immediatly and don't redial.

P.S. please mind all spelling and grammar errors.

By JboxR on Sunday, May 16, 1999 - 03:32 am:

Where's the beef, BeafEater? I called that 800 number and some guy answered it like it was his home number! I just hung up on him. No business there. Probably just your private 800 number and you're trying to get people to call you!?!?

Maybe you just randomly typed the phone number in your post? Or maybe it was just a completely random post with no real meaning?

If I have to make an international call, I would at least expect to get what I expect, and I did not expect someone to answer the phone like he had just been woken up in the middle of the night.

By Phreaky Foner on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 08:25 pm:

Here's another one:
    I found this from another listing. Use caution when calling this one.

1-818-881-0505
    *$3.70*

When you hang up and pick up the phone again,
    the circuit will not reset..there is this weird hum.
    I hung up the phone.
    The phone rang...I picked it up.
    This man on the other side wanted to front on me.
    I asked who he was calling
    He said, "You."

Who are you? "The operator".
    I told him I dialed the wrong number and not to cuss me out for that. (I know I lied) He called back again--I said,"Hello?"
    I heard the phone *click*
    Dumbass!

By Phony freaker on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 08:32 pm:

fuck you, you ass.

By SOB Ala Mean on Sunday, September 12, 1999 - 06:27 pm:

You've got SERIOUS issues!!!!!!!
    Who is talking to YOU, anyway!
    Who are YOU? Who Cares!
    Who asked YOU any questions or ran over your toys?

By Smooth Operator on Sunday, September 12, 1999 - 06:31 pm:

Shut Up, Phony Freaker.
    You didn't post any useful information for the rest of us, to begin with.
    And, YES -YOU DO have SERIOUS ISSUES that ONLY YOU can / need to resolve for yourself!!

By Fetidbeaver on Sunday, September 12, 1999 - 09:34 pm:

"or ran over your toys" LOL

By Gee on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 02:29 am:

Wow. The minions are rebeling.

By J on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 03:45 am:

By Jinafishes on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 11:39 am:

Whatever happened to 1-800-I-Feel-OK? For some reason I can't get it on the west coast anymore or something. Ok Soda, you know? I miss the OK Soda Manifesto in slow motion.

I use to dial 1-800 numbers all the time when I was in middle school for weird kicks with friends and found out if you dial 1-800-666-HELL, it's no longer an available number... I don't know about 1-888 number version tho.

By Eyvette on Thursday, January 20, 2000 - 02:09 am:

Something really weird. When I was 12, I was messing around with lottery numbers on a card that came with our news paper. Well, when I dialed the number, it would ring and ring. I thought that was it. Later on the next day, my parents said they got a call from the government and that they were warned not to have it happen again. WEIRD!?!?!?!

By Eyvette on Thursday, January 20, 2000 - 02:19 am:

The 1-800-666-HELL number has nothing, but when you call 1-888-666-HELL, it asks for a pin number.

By SteveNobody on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 03:11 am:

Ever thought of calling a random number
    like 555-shit and telling the person
    on the other end what their phone number spells?
    "Hello, is this 555-shit?"
    LOL
    "OK I'll check the number but I'm sure I dialed
    555-shit"
    hehehehe

Gets em every time!
    -s

By MCI on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 10:06 am:

No,no one ever thought of that.

By Predatoryurge on Saturday, January 6, 2001 - 05:38 pm:

The 8oo number you refer to is a call screening program.It checks your number against a list if your not on the list it wont complete the connection.alot of government agencies use these to protect secure lines.

By Fuck you on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 01:29 pm:

whatsup losers. go get a life instead of calling these phucking fone numbers all the time dumb bitches.

By Nate on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 01:58 pm:

you're just jealous because you're not phone cool.

you're the real loser, you phone phree phool.

By MAN on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 12:02 am:

Uh-oh. Someone needs to go to the time-out box.
    Hey, uh..."f-you"--YOU WILL BE NEXT TO BE CALLED.
    Now, Sit yo' 'tarded-ass down.

By Online swine on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 11:29 am:

hey guys, just found this by mistake, can anyone confirm the old "call a 24 hour service plumber etc after hours and when your call is diverted to their mobile tell them its a wrong number and wait for them to hang up, then if you get a tone it means you can use the line to make outgoing calls yourself ?????
    and "f-you" you have unwittingly revealed yorself to be a complete turkey.....

By COMMON SENSE on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 02:11 pm:

FALCON,

PUT THE NUMBER OF THE PAY PHONE IN THEN HANG UP.
    IF IT RINGS, YOU HAVE A PAGER NUMBER.
    MOST PAGER NUMBERS HAVE 1-800 WATS AREA CODES.

By OBSCENE CALLER on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 02:15 pm:

ONE TIME I FOUND A WAY OF DIALING 976 NUMBERS FROM A PAY PHONE FOR ONLY 50 CENTS. SEX LINES.
    YOU COULD BE ON THE PHONE FOR AS LONG AS YOU WANTED TO.
    THAT WAS FUN.
    I USED TO DIAL GIRLS AND TALK DIRTY TO THEM.
    FOR 50 CENTS.
    GOOD DEAL...

By JboxR on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 11:22 am:

Hell, I talk dirty to girls for FREE man!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact