Help finding payphones...

sorabji.com: The Payphone Project: Help finding payphones...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Gunner on Thursday, October 1, 1998 - 11:08 am:

Does anyone know of a way to physically locate payphones based on the number? I have received numerous prank calls from someone calling from numerous payphones and hanging up after a few mins...sometimes they call and drop the receiver...you can hear cars and stuff going by...a real pain it the ass. I have caller ID and have narrowed down the search area. I have found a couple of them, but have a few I can't find. Is there a website, piece of tracing equipment, public agency, etc. that anyone knows about that could help me more than the phone company (who is no help at all)?

By Slacker on Friday, October 2, 1998 - 01:53 am:

sure i'll help ya.
    gimme yer number. hehehehe.....

By Float on Thursday, October 8, 1998 - 12:39 am:

This is such a crazy site. I never thought I would even come here. I wanted to know where a pay phone is located that I keep getting calls from, too, but oh well, if it isn't worth it for them to leave a message then who cares. This is just too funny. I like this site. It is very interesting. You should definitely read the book Net Future by Chuck Martin. This site totally reminds me of what is happening with the whole net connection thing. I do not know about pay phones though. Don't you think 35 cents is enough?

By J. on Tuesday, March 30, 1999 - 10:07 pm:

i'm looking for the location of public payphone with # 650-363-0771. i think a crank head is hasseling me from this #. possibly redwood city

By Catherine Petrichko 401-792-0071 on Sunday, November 7, 1999 - 02:35 pm:

I am wondering why Bell Atlantic says that a public payphone used by the public that at anytime a number can be retrieved just by using it or calling someone with caller ID that can give you the number is a private issue when you have a number without a location. I have a stalker calling me from payphone to payphone several times a day from the range of two towns. I have combed the area and collected all of the numbers that I can to track this maniac. When I come up with a number that I haven't found Bell Atlantic tells me that the public phones are private and call the police. *57 tracks the calls but by the time the information is back to me, a couple of days have passed and hes gone. My tires have been slashed twice and he calls me 3-5 times aday. All I get from Bell Atlantic is "Sorry maam we cant help you so what if he kills you I'm not autorized to give you that information. What does it matter if we know the location of a payphone?

By Jane on Sunday, November 7, 1999 - 08:16 pm:

And what advice have the police given to you?

By Jane on Sunday, November 7, 1999 - 08:17 pm:

Correction. Have = has.

By Catherine on Wednesday, November 10, 1999 - 10:38 pm:

The police cannot stake out each and every payphone every minute of every day and there is no telling where he is going to call from next. Their solution is to change my number but that won't stop him from watching me and slashing my tires and then I wont be able to track him either. Every one is up in the air on this one.

By J on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 01:57 am:

I,m kind of going through this too,for over 3 years.I called the cops too.But even though he parks in front of my house,since he hasn,t actually said anything to intiminate me,the shithead is all good.I just want to chalk this up,and go on with my life.I hope he dies,and leaves me alone.

By Catherine on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 01:45 pm:

I wish that I could just wish this away. It isn't going away until this maniac is caught. I hate being watched. My question is why does Bell Atlantic keep the payphone locations a secret? How can something so public be so secret?

By J on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 02:08 pm:

There is an 800 number you can call the phone company,they will put a trace tap on your phone for 2 weeks.

By Catherine on Saturday, November 13, 1999 - 11:23 am:

I've already traced this person about 100 times but it does no good when he is using a payphone. If it were a residential phone, then tracing is useful. He needs to be caught using the phone at the same time that I get the call. I think that Bell Atlantic needs to lighten up on the privacy issue. If he is calling me a trace takes to long to find out where it is. I need to know where he is before I even answer the phone. I do this by the caller ID. If Bell Atlantic could help me out with some locations it would be easier to catch him.

By jane on Saturday, November 13, 1999 - 10:00 pm:

I'm assuming the local police, then, can't request this information from Bell Atlantic? Are there laws supporting Bell's refusal to give you the locations?

By Catherine on Sunday, November 14, 1999 - 01:11 am:

I have found that the local and state police are not as helpful as they can be. I asked that same question and Bell Atlantic claims that they have no right to give that information to anyone unles they use *57 from the same number 3 times. I feel like I am fighting a losing battle. I guess I have to wait until he harms my person to find out who it is and press charges.

By Jane doe on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 12:28 pm:

I'd like to know where this phone booth is in NY.
    The number is 917-466-9659.

pssst.

How come you don't have listings for 917 (ac)?

By Paranoid on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 04:51 am:

Why is this person whispering? Or are the FEDs
    still watching us....?

By Just wondering on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 05:56 pm:

I was needing to know if anyone knows where this payphone is located in the Dallas area. The number is (214)698-2202. I keep on receiving prank phone calls from this number. It sure would help me find out the loser who is calling.

By J on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 11:05 am:

It's coming from 308 S.Akard, floor 5,southwesternbell.Riverside,actually it said Riversid,but I thought that was a type-o.

By Alicia on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 09:02 pm:

Iwas told that the police have a 800 number that they can call to track down a address for a payphone or else get a court order.

By The Watcher on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 05:23 pm:

Even then it's probably hard.

Most payphones now aren't owned by the local phone company. Only the owners really keep track of where the phones are actually located. The phone company just gives them blocks of numbers.

Of course nowadays I've noticed more payphones disappearing then being installed. And the price has gotten outragious to make a call.

They really want to force people to cell phones. If only they would expand the number of circuits available for the cell phones. Then I wouldn't have to redial so many times to make my calls.

By Kaa105 on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 07:02 pm:

I am trying to find the location of a payphone in raleigh,n.c.My daughter is a runaway as of dec 6 2001 and she called me from a payphone #919-833-9872 I'm just trying to make sure she is safe.Can anyone please help me her family misses her very much thanx

By Len on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 08:40 pm:

I am also looking for my daughter who has run away. I got a call today from a pay phone in the New Orleans Area. Can anyone give me the address of this phone number? (504) 523-9388

Thx, Len

By Phoneman on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 08:45 pm:

Here is the way it really is people. Public payphones are mostly owned by the telcos in the area. Public phones are those either placed in or on a premise with a concession paid to the property owner if it exceeds a certain montlhly amount. If the amount is not met then usually the owner of the property gets nothing or the phone company takes the location(s) out. It is purely a money thing. Privately owned pay phones or small companies work the same way money wise but the telco circuit is leased just as you do for your home or business. The reason the telco won't give information is because if they started giving that info out everybody would want information, again it is a money thing. The very best answer to prank calls or calls from payphones. Get caller ID if you can't get a number in the box don't answer it. If you answer and its a crank call hang up immediately. 32 years as a repairman and 22 of it working on payphones, been there heard it more than once. If you got a crank caller do as I explained above - change your number - put a camera on your car.

By Phoneman on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 08:54 pm:

The reason payphones are disappearing is because of cell phones. It is not a conspiracy by the phone companies to force callers to cell phones. Cell companies are not the phone companies. The telco want to keep phones in the areas they service - they are cash cows for them. But because they now internaly charge themselves real money from business unit to business unit, if a payphone is a loser (less than three dollars per day cash in the box - this figure changes with the wind) the phone will be removed. All of those folks burning cell munutes just aimlessly walking or driving used to drop money in a phone and actually perform a meaningful conversation. Now it is just yak. So in a nut shell payphones within 5 years will probably be a thing of the past or found only at high traffic areas such as gas/convenient stores and the like. If a payphone means alot to you for your usage make sure it is used regularly or it will disappear too.

By Jennifer on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 02:35 pm:

anybody know where 530-533-9711 is?
    i know its the sacramento area, but an adress would help.like a street even would help.
    Is this perhaps someone calling from the oroville jail?

By Roger on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 01:28 am:

It's a Pacific Bell payphone in Oroville, CA.

By Hopeful on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 04:05 pm:

Can anyone tell me the telephone #'s of the payphones at the gas/convenience store on the southwest corner of 91st Avenue and Camelback in Phoenix, Arizona?

By Helpful kev on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 04:42 pm:

sure, go to the phone. write down the number take the # home. now you can call the gas station's pay phone.

By Fedup on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 09:30 am:

By CARLOS MONTOYA on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 06:11 pm:

HELP ME TO LOCATE THE LOCATION OF A PAY PHONE # 858-362-8584 ,I RECIBE NASTY CALLS FROM THIS NUMBERR

By Carlos montoya on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:43 pm:

please help me to lacated a pay phone in la jola ca (san diego county)the # is 858-362-8584 , I recibe nasty calls from these phone lots of times .
    my email is cmontoya@helixelectric.com

By Chris on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 10:53 pm:

i need to locate a pay phone in san diago ca #619-351-9382 the man calling from this phone might have murdered my ant.

By Naira on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 09:28 pm:

there is a website you can go to to locate payphone locations its called the payphone project look it up on the net you can also do a search for phone prefixs, just do a search for it on the net and youll see the site.

By beta on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 09:50 pm:

i know its tempting, but, how about if everyone just lets this one slide...

By Jaapb on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 09:45 pm:

I live in Tampa, FL and need the location of a payphone near Tampa General Hospital or just as you leave Davis Island. The number is: 813-258-4866. Thank you.

By Jesus Holmes on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 11:41 pm:

that number is near Tampa General Hospital.

By Mike on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 05:58 am:

I need to know the location of a pay phone in santa ana, ca, the number is 714-531-5476, i have searched the area but cannot find the exact pay phone, only phones with the same prefix...thanks in advance if you can help
    nettussr@yahoo.com

By Mac on Saturday, December 4, 2004 - 02:17 am:

well thats all nice.. how about this.. my number and the police non-emergency number differ by a single digit. I keep getting calls during all time of the day and NIGHT asking me if I was the police department.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact