We need more for ATLANTA

sorabji.com: The Payphone Project: We need more for ATLANTA
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Skipjack on Wednesday, January 20, 1999 - 01:08 pm:

atlanta ga=

there are many payphones here.
    ill list more later have to go.

signed-

By Misti on Wednesday, January 20, 1999 - 04:39 pm:

thanks a million!!!

By Misti on Wednesday, January 20, 1999 - 04:40 pm:

wait!!!!!! that has too nmany #s!? what are the extra two ?

By Markus on Wednesday, January 20, 1999 - 05:08 pm:

Those are area codes, or NPAs, for the Atlanta region.

By Misti on Wednesday, January 20, 1999 - 11:55 pm:

whats a NPS? area codes have 3 numbers?
    i tried.....770 404 678 7

aand why is this 06 ? NPS for atlanta? This is not a payphone number

By Blindswine on Thursday, January 21, 1999 - 01:52 am:

NPA is a telecommunications-industry acronym for Number Plan Area.

you're right that area codes in north america have three numbers. why you're getting confused is because you're reading that NPA list like it was a NPA-NXX-XXXX
    (the NPA being the area-code, the NXX being the local prefix, and XXXX being your personal destination)

i dunno... i may have skewed terminology for the NXX-XXXX thing... i'm trying to remember all the shit i learned from my time working at AT&T Wireless Services a couple years ago. Markus is probably the authority.(are PBX's and NXX's the same thing?) probabl not.. i'm thinking a PBX is a piece of hardware, but my memory isn't so good these days...
    anyway, the numbers skipjack offered were a list of NPA's (area codes) in the atlanta area.

phone switches are pretty interesting things.
    at ATTWS i had access to cellular switches all over the pacific northwest, alaska, and california. from the seattle office, i could get into all the Ericcson AX-40 cell switches on the west coast, and the northern telecom switch in alaska. funny thing about the NT switch in alaska was that they set it up so that we could just dial-up into it with a username and password that nobody took the time to change. and even the ericsson switches had backdoor access.

i left the company before the monkeyboy did. when he took off he made a note of taking all the username/password codes with him.
    shutting down the AT&T PACWEST cellular system is a running joke whenever we get together. i wouldn't be surprised if those backdoor access userid/password combos still work.
    but despite how hardcore we like to think we are, the reality is that neither of us are too excited about spending anytime in a federal prison...

but if any of you cell-phone carrying folks in LA start noticing that EVERYONE around you are getting those annoying beep-beep-beep sounds out of your cell-phones when you try to send a call, it may just be because the tequila kicked in while we were both hanging out by a pc in the city...

By Blind gas-pumping swine on Thursday, January 21, 1999 - 02:00 am:

by the way, in case anyone who reads this message board happens to work for the FCC, the above post was a total fabrication.

i really work at a gas station in alabama, and have worked there all my life.

By Markus on Thursday, January 21, 1999 - 12:59 pm:

The Swine is correct...these area codes are only the first three of ten digits needed to make a call. I take it you're not from North America, Misti?

By R.C. on Thursday, January 21, 1999 - 03:44 pm:

LOL! Swine, btwn you, Markus & yr monkeyboy/you guys cd do some serious damage to corporate communications all over the US of A.

Isn't science wonderful?

By Markus on Thursday, January 21, 1999 - 05:35 pm:

Seeing as I'm currently employed in the telecomms industry, I AM doing serious damage. What with me and all my lapsed Sovietologist friends in the business, I'm always amazed when I pick up a phone and get a dial tone.

By Whet on Saturday, January 23, 1999 - 08:27 pm:

I just wish in ATLANTA, where I live, or in close proximity thereof, with the advent of such high tech wonders, they could change the area code and have it give a msg other than the 3 tone this number is not in service crap. Look it up in the phone book? Its WRONG. So you try dialing another one of the 4 area codes and hope you get lucky. Get this, you can live in the same place, and have different area codes for different lines cause they ran out. HA.

By JboxR on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 06:02 am:

(...but despite how hardcore we like to think we are, the reality is that neither of us are
    too excited about spending anytime in a federal prison... )

I don't get it. If you REALLY wanted to do something that could land you in a fedral prison, wouldn't you do it via a publicly accessed internet connection or with a borrowed password on a borrowed line?

There must be a few tricks the feds have that I'm not aware of. Seriously - I'm not trying to say I know much about the feds, but how would they track someone down who uses public libraries, internet-cafes, local colleges and certainly borrowed passwords that dialed in from a payphone!?!?

Enlighten me.

By Blindswine on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 03:34 pm:

i don't REALLY want to do anything that would land me in federal prison.
    and i'm not so sure i'd do something like shut down the PACWEST cell system anyway. ATTWS supports emergency services through that system as well as providing communication services for yuppies, drug dealers, conspicuous consumers, lonely old folks, stranded motorists, and whoever else wants a cell phone. knocking down the system just for kicks would just be stupid and wreckless.

as far as the feds go, if someone were to gain access to the cell switches and disable them, the first thing they would do would be to find out how the switches were accessed. after determining that they weren't hacked into, they'd be able to tell that the perps had access to username/password combos. ATTWS PACWEST former and current employees would be the obvious targets of any investigation.

the rest is all karma.

maybe if someone else did it, they might get away scott free. but i know that if *I* ever tried that shit, my ass would end up in sing sing faster than you can say "prison sex".

By JboxR on Thursday, February 4, 1999 - 09:07 am:

Hmmm. Forgive me, but I still don't understand a few things. (1) How would the feds determine that the cell switches were hacked or not hacked? (2) What is karma? (3)saying that you would end up in the slammer indicates that you are a> too dumb to do it right and therefore get caught, b) too good and wellknown for it and therefore a likely suspect in this sort of case, or c) karma?

So what WOULD you do were you do have a few too many tequilas? Shut the whole system down? Make all the phones whose number ended with a "0" ring at the same time? Make phones call other phones and record the results when both parties think they were the one that got called?

???

By Blindswine on Thursday, February 4, 1999 - 06:08 pm:

alright, spanky:

1. to be precise, the feds wouldn't determine whether or not the cell switches had been hacked. the folks at the National Operations Center in Bothell, WA would give them that information. how? because the NOC keeps logs that track all attempted and successful connections to the switch. a hacked entry should be obvious because of the amount of unsuccessful attempts logged before access was granted.

2. karma. n. the force generated by a person's actions held in Hinduism and Buddhism to perpetuate transmigration and in its ethical consequences to determine the nature of the person's next existence.

3. the answer is either "a" or "c". your choice.

there are a number of ways to take the cell switch down after gaining access. i could dump all the profiles stored in the cell switch. that would make the switch unable to recognize any of the ESN/NAM combos transmitted by the cell phones and would therefore make them inoperable in areas serviced by that switch. an easier way (if i remember correctly) would be to dump the list of NPA's the cell switch recognizes. this would have the same effect, and is preferable to dumping profiles because in many systems the profiles are stored in a Home Location Registry (HLR) rather than on the cell switch itself. there are probably also other commands that would make the switch unable to create psuedo-numbers, recognize prefixes, or just disable the switch entirely, but i would have to check out the ericcson command list.

anyway, at this point the question is moot. my buddy D. tells me that the NOC has implemented Security Dynamics on all backdoor access, so now in order to connect you need the number generated by a secure id card and a pin number that's programmed into the system.

and yes, i'm too dumb to figure out how to crack algorithms.

By R.C. on Thursday, February 4, 1999 - 10:52 pm:

Oooohh, I love it when you talk hi tech, Swine.
    Give that man a shot of Patron on me!

But making all the telephone phone #'s (home phones/bus.#/pay phones/cell phones/pagers/ ...)/that end in zero ring on New Year's Eve sure wd be a lot of fun...

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact