Its cold here, how about there.....

sorabji.com: The Payphone Project: Its cold here, how about there.....
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Shonuf on Friday, January 9, 1998 - 06:02 pm:
    Today is the coldest day so far this year (winter) in Fargo. It is actually the wind chill that really gets in the way. I am listening to the radio and they just announced that the windchill is -51. BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. My nipple rings get erections just thinking about it. Any way, thats all I want to write oh yea, hi everyone out there....have a nice weekend everyone.

By La on Friday, January 9, 1998 - 07:10 pm:
    I know it's only about 40 degrees here in 'lanta,
    but somehow your message doesn't make me feel warmer. Think it's the wind chill in this apt.

By CStew on Thursday, January 15, 1998 - 07:56 pm:
    Well, this is really kind of interesting. It's 43 degrees here in Wild Wonderful WV.

Sorry, Fargo.

By Barry H on Tuesday, January 20, 1998 - 03:24 am:
    Hi there. This is Cape Town, South Africa, where the temperature today is 35deg Centigrade.
    All I need to do now is work out how to send you some warmth across the internet, and you'll be okay for a tan!

By Jim on Saturday, January 31, 1998 - 12:22 pm:
    it's not that bad here today.in the 40's. been a great winter here so far,no snow to speak of.that's all from here.northern va

By Schwank on Wednesday, February 4, 1998 - 11:08 pm:
    Been a very weak and drab Michigan winter.Coldest night all year was 11 degrees(F) Would like some major Detroit snowfall.
    Schwank

By Onegg on Monday, February 16, 1998 - 01:37 am:
    I got both my left cheek & right cheek on my booty tanned today in my backyard under balmy skies here in Makakilo.

By Mark on Thursday, February 19, 1998 - 02:16 pm:
    The weather here in Tampa is warm and sunny. We've already had a record amount of rainfall here for the month of February though. Just blame it on El Nino.

By Christopher on Thursday, February 19, 1998 - 02:30 pm:
    You want rain? Try the SF Bay Area. I've just about had it. Even my cat is starting to grow mold.

By Pete on Friday, February 20, 1998 - 08:36 am:
    A moldy cat? I'll pass on that one...

It has been unnaturally warm here in DC this winter (winter?!? What winter? Don't make me laugh...even the cherry blossoms think it's spring)

And my apt. is overheated so I run my a.c. constantly -- so not only does management pay for the heating bills, they also pay for the electric bills of all the people who are trying, like me, to cool down their too hot apts.

By Erin Barrett on Wednesday, February 25, 1998 - 03:46 am:
    It's been getting dirty and wet in Anchorage,
    Alaska. It's been in the 30's. We know spring
    is coming. It's been raining some, and snowing
    a little at night. There is frost on car windows
    in the morning, but it's all melted by noon.
    The famous Iditarod starts in a couple of weeks
    and they are worried about the trail having enough
    snow all the way to Nome. I feel sorry for the
    state of California, but we in Alaska are loving
    El Nino! This has been the best winter of the
    21 years I've lived in Alaska!

By PassNthru on Wednesday, February 25, 1998 - 04:52 am:
    Erin:
    Did you say winter? What winter? Can't be 1998, we haven't had one yet!

In the Midwest, the grass is still green and the ground never froze. The mosquitoes (is that spelled right?) never left/died or whatever they do. Even the plants which were left in concrete pots are still green (I didn't bother to dump them last fall). One plant even produced a single bloom in early January (stupid mixed up plant).

I don't know if California is worth the hardships. The bad news, whether it be earthquake or flood, seems to never end. Same with Florida (substitute hurricane for earthquake). I guess a person has to pay the price for decent weather yearround. Even without El Nino, a person has to fight pesky insects all year and mowing and cudzu or whatever the name of that stinkin vine is down South. I do feel sorry for them...and the people in the N.E. that got the ice storm (it downed more than 200 steel electrical transmission towers!)

We've been spared the bad storms that Florida's been getting, probably because there isn't a clash between hot & cold air.

Like you...I'm really enjoying El Nino, so far.

By Nelly on Wednesday, February 25, 1998 - 10:47 pm:
    In Atlanta, it was 70 degrees today, the daffodills have been in full bloom for a couple of weeks now. It had better stay spring, is all I say. (We've had snow in April before).

By Me on Thursday, February 26, 1998 - 01:41 pm:
    Actually, Florida had a very mild hurricane season last year due to El Nino. The storms they just had were probably the result of El Nino and were much more severe than normal (thus the tornados) but this had nothing to do with hurricanes (btw, hurricane season in the Atlantic runs from June 1 to December -- or is that November?)

By Marquee No Name marquee on Thursday, July 9, 1998 - 04:04 am:
    Speak Celsius!!!

(BLOODY AMERICANS)

By Nate on Thursday, July 9, 1998 - 01:56 pm:
    celsius my ass.

eeeewww, but water -boils- at 100 degrees and freezes at 0 degrees and WHY THE FUCK IS WATER SO GREAT?

kelvins, baby. that's where it's at.

By Blindswine on Thursday, July 9, 1998 - 02:20 pm:
    kelvin.
    i think i dated his sister a few years ago.
    that woman *was* absolute zero.

­273.15°C

yeah.

she shook me cold.

By FRED NATUCK on Sunday, July 4, 1999 - 12:01 am:

IT IS A NICE DAY HERE ON THE FIFTH OF JULY IN DOWN TOWN MCMURDO STATION ANTARCTICA A BOMIE +10 pretty warm even for the middle of winter last week it was -35f windchill -65 we have some wind of corse we are a sea port station the south pole is miles to our south and is the coldest place on earth . record -130f they are not shairing our warm weather . wanta talk weather talk ANTARCTICA .

By FRED.NATUCK on Sunday, July 4, 1999 - 12:05 am:

OH YEA WE ARE A DAY AHEAD OF ALL YOU UP THERE. BUT OUR MOON IS UPSIDE DOWN . THE PLACE HAS IT'S FAULTS . ONE DRAWBACK IS THE DARKNESS ALL WINTER NO SUN FOR 4 M0. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT TOMMOROW IS GOING TO BE LIKE JUST ASK SOMEONE WHO IS ALLREDY THERE IN THE WEST ACROSS THE DATE LINE .FRED,

By Markus on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 05:15 pm:

By Slacker on Monday, October 4, 1999 - 09:06 am:

oct.4 and i had to bring the brass monkeys inside for the winter. it's -10 already. oh canaduh.
    let the hibernation begin.

By MoonIt on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 12:37 am:

After four days of short and t-shirt weather we are back to rain. *sigh*

spring is trying to spring.

By Gee on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 03:22 am:

Spring? SPRING??

Excuse me while I grumble.

By J on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 10:52 am:

It,s still fucking hot out here 99 degrees of unrelentless sun,that party that the company my s/o works for they had last Sun.,I was fucking hot,thats why I stayed in the nice air-conditioned bar and drank those "special"fruit smoothies,I,m down for the long haul,I don,t "do" sun.

By BigKevin on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 02:23 pm:

Well it snowed here yesterday, it didn't stay or anything but it still SNOWED. Damn.

Have I ever told you I love Canada!

By Fetidbeaver on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 04:47 pm:

IT'S FUCKING COLD HERE GODDAMMIT.
    GOTTA MOVE, I HATE COLD!

By Gee on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 01:07 am:

Where are you, Kevin? Someone told me it snowed somewhere nearby, but I can't remember where.

By Cyst on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 02:16 am:

tonight I noticed lots of outdoor tables at restaurants were empty. in fact, they were all empty.

tonight I went to trivia night at a tavern. not just because I am a geek but because my friend g. is a geek too. it was his idea.

they asked about what prometheus did, the names of the three musketeers, the new portland trailblazers, the longest bridge, the biggest nuclear-power plants, the author of jaws, etc.

we missed an astrology gimme, but me and my friend tied for second. and the other second-place team and the winning team had six players each, so I felt especially trivial.

we got pez, john wayne videos, hot wheels, stickers and glow-in-the-dark "insects" (but also arthropods, reptiles, mollusks and arachnids).

a hot night in portland.

By Bigkevin on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 07:57 am:

A little bit north of Toronto, Leslie and hwy #7

By Cyst on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 09:46 am:

last night in the trivia game I guessed that rush was from toronto, but apparently all we had to know was that they were from canada.

By BigKevin on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 10:10 am:

Would that trivia, by any chance, be NTN?

By Cyst on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 10:15 am:

oh, is that the televised one they have in lots of bars?

I've played that with my brother in the smokiest honky-tonk dive that a less-than-20-year-old suburb has ever seen.

the one where the clues are puns and the more time you take, the fewer points you get?

By Cyst on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 10:16 am:

but, no, this was a homemade thing.

By J on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 10:18 am:

I love to play that at bars,but I thought NTL,but I,m usually drunk,so I could be wrong,it,s too slow.

By Rob on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 01:16 pm:

Dos NTN have a website by chance? Also, they have trivia on AOL. I would like to know if they ask the same questions at the same time as they ask them in the bar.

By J on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 01:36 pm:

By Cyst on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 05:12 pm:

my team came in second again at trivia night this week.

I brought on a new player, whom i didn't think would be much help, but she knew where the caesar salad was "invented."

(tijuana.)

it's in the mid-70s in portland, oregon, today. it's so smoggy and so beautiful.

By Cyst on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 05:13 pm:

can I please, please, please correct myself? it was a very short post.

WHO, not WHOM.

thank you!

By Nate on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 05:54 pm:

in my women studies class they said that women are more likely to fuck up grammar such as the usage of who or whom, or I or me.

Suzy Fauludi says "It's because dem bitches whom be dumb."

By Waffles on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 06:00 pm:

men are more likely to fail it all together

By Grammar fuck on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 06:34 pm:

what's fuckin' ya up is that yer thinkin' yer the subject of the sentence - i didn't think she would be much help.

here's the strategy i use: put mental commas into the sentence so it reads "who, i didn't think, would be much help."

it ain't 'cause bitches is dumb, it's 'cause they got somethin' ta say dammit!

By Rhiannon on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 07:38 pm:

Grammar mistakes by gender would seem to be an area of study for cognitive psychologists rather than gender theorists, because it seems that you'd need to run systematic experiments to gather that kind of data rather than rely on intuition or something. Unless the gender theorists got their info. from the cognitive psychologists. That would be an acceptable explanation.

This may seem nit-picky but it's not. You have no idea how many mistaken "facts" are made and profligated by people who think they know a little about psychology, sociology, etc. Too much is based on anecdotes and personal observations, and not enough on empirical studies. (One of my professors has "the plural of anecdote is not evidence" on his office wall.) Experiments whose results have been consistently replicated are really the most reliable sources of trustworthy data.

Not that you care or anything. I just thought you needed to know.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 07:41 pm:

Did I just write that? GOD, i need a vacation.

It's kind of cold here. About time, too. Since when did summer last until the first week of October? And begin in April? All I'm saying is we'd better get another week-long big-ass blizzard this year or I'm moving to Finland.

By Waffles on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 07:48 pm:

honey it's 90+ degrees, summer is in full effect out here

tell me about the leaves turning, tell me about the rustle of trees, tell about the breeze in fall, tell me what i miss

By Cyst on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 07:58 pm:

thanks, grammar fuck. I realized my error as soon as I posted it.

it's ok to misuse "who" but not "whom."

By Rhiannon on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 08:05 pm:

This morning at sunrise it was about 40 degrees out. There was frost on the grass, mostly in the depressions made by footprints the night before, and I could see my breath as I walked across campus. The air had that enticing damp leaf smell. No one's made any bonfires around here that I can tell, which is unfortunate, because nothing smells so good on a cold fall morning than the smell of burning leaves.

The tree right outside my window is a large maple whose leaves are so orange to say it looks like it's on fire isn't doing it justice. Right now I'm listening to people kick through its fallen leaves as they walk on the sidewalk.

I leave my window open at night so that in the morning the room is freezing but under the covers it's nice and warm. It got up to around 60 today. I'm waiting for it to become jacket weather. Yesterday, though, it rained, and it was quite cold, with a wind strong enough to strain your hold on your umbrella. The rain turned all the tree trunks black, so the leaves looked even more vibrant. In other words, it was an absolutely perfect day.

Waffles, if you give me a mailing address, I can send you some leaves to bring back your memories.

By Nate on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 08:08 pm:

i love it why psycheads talk as if psychology is a science.

yeah, it is arrived at through the study of data. you don't need to be a snake oil saleswoman to figure out how often women misuse whom or get "I" and "Me" wrong.

By Cyst on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 08:10 pm:

I'm so uptight.

I just got a get-stoned-and-fuck offer from an old friend in seattle and I think I'm not going to consider it just because the guy can't spell.

him: "how the hell are you. BTW, you looked quite yummy in yer self portraits... keep up the good work. maybey we'll fuck one day"

me: "I'm going to be in seattle halloween weekend. do you know of any good parties? I like to fuck."

him: "'Free Seattle Radio, a micro pirate radio gig i am a part of, will be broadcasting from the wheelhouse of the KALAKALA (a modernist 1934 ferry boat). It will be a costume ball with live music, DJs, ballroom dancing and graphic projection by HPX.' Wanna come? gotta place to stay here in town?"

the last line almost makes up for the ridiculous spelling error. so subtle.

By Cyst on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 08:14 pm:

"i love it why psycheads talk as if psychology is a science."

that "is" should be "were." don't you know when to use the subjunctive mood, girlfriend?

By Waffles on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 08:25 pm:

who gives a rats ass, we understand you regardless

ohhhhh Rhi, that email awakens me.....i remember it so well, that smell, it's like sound travels easier through cold air, it seems you can hear trains more in the cold, i remember walking out at night, you can hear the low grrrrrrrrrrrrr far off in the distance.....the shuffle of leaves under your feet, the smell, YES i know the smell ....to me it came from my parent's wood burning stove.......the twighlight, the breeze rustling the leaves above, a cigarette tastes much better when its cold, it's warm, you can see your breath, the chill, the comfort and ease of light jacket weather, it's a thin enough jacket not to be bulky yet I have extra pockets....mine is called a mr. two-ply...the two front breasts pockets are actualy double lined pockets to make 4 poeckets total, hence the "two-ply"...it's like a grease monkey jacket, with a pen holder...........the pockets are the best........california does cool off nicely in the evenings though, it's in the 60s when you wake up, i hate that naked dash from the bed to the shower, thank god the wifey gets up first and has it running when it's my turn..............the sound of the furnace on those colder nights, the soothing sound, it's relaxing, when you hear it come on, you grin, you know it's gonna get even more and more warm......i am lucky, i have another body to warm up too..........i have to say....i truly would be lost if i didn't have the other warm naked body to wrap around..........it's bonus folks that should never be taken for granted,....

By Waffles on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 08:28 pm:

i am not sure why i said email...i was thinking of the email with my address that I am going to send you I suppose

By Ate on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 08:53 pm:

the why should be when.

drogas muy mal.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 09:06 pm:

I'm a psychhead?! Better than psycho, I guess, though that's also true.

Waffles: How could I forget about the trains? The station is about 2 blocks from here. The last 3 years I had rooms on the other side of the building, facing the train station, and I could hear the whistles late into the night. That's one of the saddest sounds you'll ever hear. I don't hear them that often this year, which also makes me sad.

Walking at night, too. The stars seem brighter when it's cold. Sometimes in the winter I go walking without my coat at night just to be cold and feel my bones hurt.

Once, when I was walking at night, I thought "windows like candy eyes"...i thought that was a neat phrase, but it doesn't really make sense, so i never used it anywhere. but it's true, they are like yellow eyes.

I also liked looking through the windows to see how other people had decorated their rooms. Lots of people have good taste around these parts.

You know what else this time of year reminds me of? Two years ago, I took a class in Roman culture, which I loved. I also kind of had a little crush on my professor, who was young and so refined. And good-looking. And married. Anyway, we had to turn in papers every week, and I couldn't stand to give them to him in person, so I would write them late on Wednesday nights and then run across campus to slip them under his office door before the building closed at midnight. It was always so cold out when I did this. And I always felt like a thief sneaking into the empty office building. So between the cold and the fear of getting caught and the fact that it was *his* office building (sad, I know. I apologize) it was a pretty thrilling experience all around.

By Fuck my grammar she likes it. on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 09:10 pm:

it should in fact be:

i love it why psycheads talk like psychology was a science or somethin'. i mean, shit...ya know?

amo drogas.

son muy buenos.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 11:11 pm:

At least you didn't misspell "grammar." You're not hopeless yet.

By Redneck on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 08:07 am:

My Grammar is in the kitchen baking me cookies.

By Antigone on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 09:25 am:

Nate, go fuck the French.

Then fuck yourself.

Have a nice day, everybody! :-)

By Margret on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 10:09 am:

Good heavens, Miss Yakimoto, you're beautiful!

By Waffles on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 11:45 am:

i gave up on the humanities my first years as a sociology major........

By Nate on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 12:48 pm:

wow, another psycheeheehead?

i can scientifically prove that psychology is not a science. that goes for sociology, too.

By Waffles on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 12:59 pm:

precisely why I gave up on it, just a collection interesting ideas, very little that is actually concrete

By Nate on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 01:05 pm:

the whole thing about the pseudologies is that they're fundementally flawed and based on generalities. you can spin statistics in any direction you care to, and the pseudologies are based on spun statistics.

By Waffles on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 01:14 pm:

their are too many unpredictable factors involved.....working class A in country X will not react to social stimuli in the same manner that working class B in country Y.............too many variables. However i do find alot of the theories interesting,

By CORRECTION on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 01:19 pm:

THERE

By BK on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 02:06 pm:

Of course *ologies are flawed 64% of all people know that

By Pink on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 02:07 pm:

Screw the psyche shit.

Waffles--
    When I walked to work last night, the whole walk was amazing. I walked out my door expecting a very cold breeze since the winds were whipping around. Yet, I was dumbfounded by the warm wind that was blowing with a fever pitch. This is a prelude to Halloween? It was confusing as well desireable. For almost all the trees are bare and all the signs of a late fall surround me. Warm wind...late fall...what gives? I have never experienced anything like it. Maybe it was a freak of nature to remind me that there is no constant. I heard the Northern lights were spectacular Thursday night. I have yet to see them, that happens when one goes to work at dusk.

By J on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 02:11 pm:

Well Pink is still here,whee does Pink live to see the lights?

By Pink on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 02:43 pm:

Dammit! I can never see the lights. Like I said, going to work at dusk or later( since winter is coming upon us ) I have yet to see the lights. To me, they must be a miraculous sight. I have seen 20+ shooting stars in an hour while driving, no Northern lights. Only in Wisconsin. I hate this fucking territory. Out west, J, out west. Someday.

By Rhiannon on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 04:08 pm:

Waffles, your little gift is in the mail.

Northern lights: I have watched meteor showers in the desert. Truly a mind-boggling, soul-shaking experience. I imagine the Northern Lights to be all that and more. Don't you need to be up in Alaska / northern Canada to see them?

By MapleLeaf on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 04:17 pm:

Not necessarily....on ocasion we get to see them in southern Ontario. When it happens you call all of your friends so they can see them as well.

Best viewing is from a field out in the middle of nowhere so the lights from the town/city don't interfere

The Northern Lights are spellbinding!!!!

By Waffles on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 05:02 pm:

your the best Rhi

By CORRECTION on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 05:39 pm:

YOU'RE

By Rhiannon on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 05:40 pm:

;)

By Gee on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 07:16 pm:

I just figured out how to pronounce "Antigone". I knew it was a girl's name, but I never knew it sounded so girly.

By Antigone on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 09:26 pm:

Girly and proud of it, babe.

And how do you know I'm a psycho, Nate? I might just think you should fuck yourself.

You're right, though. I've got a BA in psych. (It was the degree that was easiest to get after taking one of every kind of class for two years.) What I liked about it best was that it admitted being a probabalistic science, down to it's very core. The results of every study was (and is...) described in terms of the probability that they're chance. So I chuckle when people like yourself try to tear it down by saying that it's not "hard science." The proper psychologist's response should be, "Duh!"

I still think you should fuck yourself, though. And save some jizz for the French.

By Rhiannon on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 10:39 pm:

Antigone, you sweet man, don't let the bastards grind you down.

You're in Texas, right? What's the weather like down there?

By Antigone on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 10:44 pm:

Great! It's perfect motorcycle weather.

You're in Phily, right? I'll be there in thanksgiving, you know. Also, listen to your local public radio station, WHYY. On occaion you'll hear my sister doing news reports...

By Rhiannon on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 11:06 pm:

Damn, I'll be in NY for Thanksgiving...so close!

I listen to WHYY sometimes and my mom does all the time (that's NPR, right?). Who's your sister?

By Antigone on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 11:11 pm:

I'll let you guess...

By Cyst on Saturday, October 23, 1999 - 01:20 am:

whyy in philadelphia. yeah, that's a public radio station. I think that's where they record that npr show, "the world."

By Cyst on Saturday, October 23, 1999 - 01:21 am:

antigone's sister is ismene.

By Agatha on Saturday, October 23, 1999 - 02:46 pm:

i'll be in new york for christmas. what a rush.

seems that the majority of spelling and grammatical errors in this particular place, if we use sorabji.com as our test group,come from the men. unless they are all really women, which is feasible. i suppose now is the time for some smartass to comment on my failure to capitalize anything.

By Rhiannon on Saturday, October 23, 1999 - 08:36 pm:

Antigone: I listened to WHYY this morning...Nina Totenberg (sp?)?

By Semillama on Sunday, October 24, 1999 - 05:09 pm:

Pink - no Northern Lights here? Fuck that noise. We got some pretty specatcular ones last year up in Da UP. I remeber one that was Purple, red, blue and green, Huge crisp sheets of shimmering light. We were at a bonfire on the Lake Superior shoreline smoking fat blunts and drinking jagermeisster, which enhanced the effect. Like strong acid, it was. i miss that. I also miss the maples, It's all oak down here, whcih just turns brown.

By Antigone on Sunday, October 24, 1999 - 07:34 pm:

Oh no, not Nina! My sister is a local reporter and has the same last name I do. (Is that too much of a hint?)

By Rhiannon on Sunday, October 24, 1999 - 07:59 pm:

Well, seeing as I don't know your last name, it isn't a hint at all!

Is she usually on during a particular time slot? (I really don't listen to any radio very often -- though I might start now that my mom just told me Paul Auster's going to be giving talks on NPR regularly -- so it would help if I knew when to turn it on.)

This is becoming a research project!

By Antigone on Sunday, October 24, 1999 - 11:14 pm:

Actually, you do know my last name. And my first name. It's all posted on these boards... And I don't know what times she's on. I assume she's played whenever the local news is played. She did have a spot on Marketplace last Thursday, though. It was the one about Russian rock music.

By Cyst on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 12:53 am:

I was going to say "marketplace" instead of "the world" as the one that's done at whyy, but I though "marketplace" was produced at some economics school at a university in the southwest. I couldn't have just thought that up.

By Pink on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 12:54 am:

Sem--
    I can understand chomping on a fatty, but gaggermeister? Sorry to hear you're surrounded by oaks. Nasty variety of tree. My parents have all oaks on their property, well a birch and 2 pines also make up the fauna. Yet, they have oak every god damn 10 feet in Stoughton. These trees should be cut down on the spot! Worthless( during the fall ). I forget how often they drop acorns...every 2 years? I don't know but they are a messy species. Dad, who certainly enjoys blowing the leaves with a vengeance, STILL bitches every year about the small twigs that fall to the lawn. Now that's all I hear during fall since the Alzheimer's has predestined him to be the "yard man" and there's always an explanation for what he's doing now, reasons why. I hear the same yard stories each time I go down. It doesn't bother me anymore. That man has his lawn looking spotless each time I go to see them. Mom shakes her head when it comes to anal lawn practices with him. But that's what makes him happy, that's what keeps him busy. Geezuz, he's doing the neighbor's property also( she moved out ). All that I have to say is never fuck with someone who keeps the lawn looking spectacular, free of debris. If you do irritate 'em, you'll have a leaf blower conjoined with your ass.

By Waffles on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 11:54 am:

agatha, you mentioned something very interesting...the mispelling/gender statement......why is that? I would agree with yiu but i think therea re some grounded reasons for that, and I refer back to Nate's ideas about reverse sexism in the class room..........ya think?

By Waffles on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 11:56 am:

furthermore.....how many guys here took a typing class in highschool? women here? I was in a typing class for one day, looked at the agenda, looked at the keyboard, looked at the teacher and asked ,myself why is this important? I opted for the sculpture class instead that semester....

By Semillama on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 01:01 pm:

I am willing to bet that all the spelling mistakes you see in these posts and elsewhere on the web don't show up in the same folks handwriting. (ie, they're typing mistakes)

By Waffles on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 02:00 pm:

if you think my spelling here is bad, you should see my penmenship......i was in a special penmenship class all through elementary school, they confirmed my brain moves faster than my hand can keep up with , often leaving out words all together........

By heather on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 02:25 pm:

everyone's brains move faster than their hands

By Patrick on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 02:27 pm:

true but perhaps I am too impatient to wait for it....

I AM impatient

By Rhiannon on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 02:36 pm:

I took typing. I still type pretty slowly, but I don't have to look at my hands to do it. My favorite word to type is "power" because of where the letters are. power. And our typing manual was kind of neat because in the lists of nonsense words they gave us, there would be neat phrases that would pop up. One I remember was something like "burn it to name it"....on my practice pages I would type "burn it to name it. kill it to call it your own." I was always so melodramatic.

By Waffles on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 02:46 pm:

I would be willing to bet, girls were more encouraged to take these classes then their male counterparts, therefore sharpening their spelling and typing. Where as boys were more encouraged to take wood shop and classes of the sort......

By Patrick on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 02:47 pm:

old habits die very hard

By heather on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 03:33 pm:

no way
    no typing

By Cyst on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 03:38 pm:

I can generally tell the difference between typos and spelling errors.

every sunday I make a whole lot of some tomato-based stew with lots of zucchini, peppers and broccoli.

last week it was marinara sauce, no pasta. the week before it was chili. this week I'm having shrimp creole, minus the roux.

next week I think I'll have to go back to chili and start the cycle over.

By Patrick on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 03:54 pm:

i see someone was paying attention during home eco

By Rhiannon on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 04:30 pm:

In my middle school, both girls and boys took industrial arts (wood shop, metal shop, and industrial design) and home ec (cooking and sewing).

I made a nice lamp in metal shop that I still have in my room at home. I also made a footstool, a shelf, and a napkin holder with an embossed design. In industrial design we learned to silk-screen and to make linoleum stamps. Our metal shop teacher was named Charles Munson, so you know what we called him. He was a giant of a man, probably around 7 feet tall. He was also very nice and funny.

In home ec, I made an apron (which I also still have), two stuffed animals (which I don't have), and lots of food. My quiche Lorraine was particularly good, if I remember right.

I also remember getting harrassed worse by the boys in home ec than in industrial arts, probably because Mr. Munson didn't tolerate any of that shite, while Mrs. Clark never seemed to notice. And my table was RIGHT next to hers. And they were saying VERY graphic things...no deciphering needed. And my discomfort was quite visible, so it wasn't like you could think I was enjoying what was going on, as if anyone would think that to begin with. Mrs. Clark, you let me down.

By Lucy Phurre on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 05:00 pm:

I used to get harassed pretty heavily by the football team. I complained, but the school never took notice (I was a scholarship kid at a private school)
    Four years later, they developed a sexual harassment policy. I guess someone made an off-color remark to a rich girl or something.

By Patrick on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 05:32 pm:

thats usually the case Lucy, the seperation seemed more prevalent in high school. towards teh end of the year, some of the special classes like woodshop, drafting, typing, business etc etc came around and gave us little speeches on why we should humor them and their classes,

By Cyst on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 06:53 pm:

today I tried to eat a halloween-size rice krispie treat at work, but I couldn't. "this is BAD precedent," I thought after the first wonderful bite. so I threw the rest away.

there's always free reese's pieces, hershey's bars, m-n-m's, three musketeers bars, rice krispie treats, and usually cinnamon rolls, maple bars, bagels with salmon cream-cheese spread, etc., as well.

so I just can't start.

By Patrick on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 06:56 pm:

tried? what it didn't fit?

By Cyst on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 07:14 pm:

english class. end of fall semester. senior year of high school.

some cretin who sat at my desk during another period wrote and drew all sorts of graphic misogynistic graffiti there.

I was an uppity and naive feminist, and I started writing back to him about how he would never go to college and wasn't it too bad he was such a fucking retard and would be a failure his whole life.

so. one day I get this note from the administration saying that I was supposed to meet my english teacher in her office after school. I didn't think much of it -- I thought maybe she was going to ask if she could read an essay of mine aloud in class again or something.

but when I got there, she wasn't there, but my sophomore-year english teacher was. the one who told me she liked to consider herself my mentor. except today she wasn't interested in talking to me. she seemed mad.

so then my english teacher showed up and told me she wanted me to clean every single desk in the classroom until all the ink was gone from every one.

ok. fair enough. except where was everyone else, the other people who had contributed to other graffiti on the desk? what about all the other kids and all the "metallica"s on their desks?

she told me that I knew better than to pick on people who weren't as bright as I was. that I had been cruel.

I couldn't fucking believe it. this moron had started it, writing all this mean, disgusting stuff about women. and she felt sorry for him?!?

if only I knew then what I know now. I never would have cleaned the desks. but then I did what I was told.

when I got home I wrote her an 8-page-long letter about what a hypocrite she was. there was a student in our class who probably shouldn't have been placed with the honors kids, but she did try hard. she asked a lot of questions, and this idiot teacher, with her "hang in there" kitten posters on the wall, always sighed or rolled her eyes when this girl had something to say.

I arranged to get transferred out of her class and put the letter in her box before she did the grades for the semester. it was a dare. if she didn't give me the a I had earned, I was going to take my complaint to the principal.

but she did so I never got my showdown.

By Cyst on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 07:16 pm:

I could probably fit a whole rice krispie treat in my mouth at once.

I can eat a foot-long subway sandwich in less than three minutes.

By Patrick on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 07:37 pm:

thats....uhmmmmm....REALLY amazing and furthermore lends it self to another whole line of question of which I will refrain from.....

By Agatha on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 10:28 pm:

i never took typing. i'm not sure why the grammar and spelling mistakes seem more male oriented. it doesn't make any sense to me. it's just something i noticed.

By Rhiannon on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 10:37 pm:

Mr. Barton: my quest for your sister's name has so far turned up naught. I heard the news twice today, both times with a national newscaster (Martin Somebody?). But my efforts were not entirely fruitless...I learned that Paul Auster, one of my favorite authors, is holding a short story contest...and I already have a short story on hand that I'm *cough* rather fond of....I just need to work up the nerve to send it in.

What's your middle name? It's not Edward, is it?

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 - 09:33 am:

If I told you that you'd be able to stalk me. Besides, this way I could still be the first U.S. gold medal winner in kayaking, and I'd like to preserve that small bit of potential notoriety.

By Lucy Phurre on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 - 03:41 pm:

I met a US gold medal winner in kayaking once. He was cool.

As for grammar errors, women do tend to do better in language skills than men do.

Oh, and, as for the sexual harassment, here's my story
    <selfindulgentwhinemode>
    (upon rereading, it's kind of upsetting... thought I should say something).
    The behavior that was tolerated at my high school was blatantly threatening, and specifically aimed at me (I had the geeky damnfem'nist ice maiden rep in high school and they were pretty vicious)
    One of the guys hit me during at least one episode.
    They would walk by and one of them would grab my ass. Whenever I tried to use the weightroom, they would gather around me and make blatantly obscene comments.
    Their favorite trick was to hold something (a freeweight or a screwdriver, or something) at crotch level and stroke it as if masturbating.
    The administration looked the other way, occasionally delivering a slap on the wrist.
    Btw: we didn't have home ec or shop, b/c they upheld traditional gender roles (but they didn't have a sexual harassment policy either) I suppose they preferred to divide along class lines.
    I was getting hassled for saying that I could damnwell join the football team if I wanted to (I didn't b/c it conflicted with cross country, which was my sport of choice, I ran with the boys' team and did pretty well b/c women are better at distance running than men)
    And for not being a useless, fashionable airhead.
    And for being awkward, and not giving a shit that I was awkward.
    The administration also looked the other way when I got death threats, in eighth grade, and they knew which richbrat did it... My parents involved the police b/c the administration wouldn't. The spoiled little parasite in question was never even mentioned. They also looked the other way when the girls would beat me up in the locker room (a couple times... the snooty little brats used to amuse themselves by throwing shoes at me... I am not making this shit up) They said "We can't do anything because there was no administrator present." Now, how many fights take place in front of an administrator?
    </selfindulgentwhinemode>

My experience in high school probably did a good deal towards making me as left-wing as I am... I certainly saw a lot of examples of complete wastes of skin who got the full ride, everything they wanted, from cradle to grave, because they had a rich daddy.

By J on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 - 04:33 pm:

Thats just awful Lucy,you should have got a lawyer and sued their miserable asses.If you remember any of their names,maybe it,s not to late to fuck with them.

By Waffles on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 - 04:36 pm:

i was gonna say the same thing.....give us names, we will do some research and launch "Operation High School Reunion".......just a name.....and perhaps a city, we will look them up and proceed to make their life hell.....

By Lucy Phurre on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 - 05:17 pm:

Man, fuck them... all they did was prove to me that the rich are a waste of skin, and I knew that.
    The thing that bugs me is that the administration condoned the behavior of these sick little yuppie larvae.

By Patrick on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 - 05:29 pm:

uh ok....sorry, we were just trying to offer some restitution..........geeeeeeze

By Margret on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 - 05:59 pm:

Lucy, did you go to high school in Maryland?
    If so, where?
    Because, like, I went to a private school in Maryland (not one of the super chichi ones, of course). Until about 11th grade I had trouble (though nothing as wretched as you describe) because of my relatively disadvantaged socio-economic status. But in my school it actually got cool to be smart and poor in 11th grade and so me and Jill Zachary were IN (well, she was already in because she was really awesome and really...attractive...but not in that private school girl way...nevermind).

By Lucy Phurre on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 - 07:47 pm:

Firstly, Patrick, let me rephrase my earlier post. What I was trying to say was:
    Thank you for the sentiment and the offers of help, but the problem is systemic.

Secondly, Margaret, I went to Friends.
    Great academics, but most of my classmates were hideous little parasites-in-training.

By Lucy Phurre on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 - 07:50 pm:

Firstly, Patrick, let me rephrase my earlier post. What I was trying to say was:
    "Thank you for the sentiment and the offers of help, but the problem is systemic."

I apologize for any unintended offense.

Secondly, Margaret, I went to Friends.
    Great academics, but most of my classmates were hideous little parasites-in-training.

By Lucy on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 - 07:54 pm:

oops. not a smooth editing process there. Sorry about that.
    And the damnedmachine ate my first two attempts.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 - 09:15 pm:

Odd how high school social hierarchies work.

In my high school (which was all girls, and STILL we were not free from harassment...from 2 of the male teachers, one of whom was asked to leave after I graduated because he was bringing in centerfolds and asking the girls [in the guise of sociological research] what they thought of the women's figures....when I had him for sociology, he made a point of asking each one of us if we had ever had sex with our fathers, to illustrate the incest taboo, of course)

...anyway, in my high school, you were cool if you were poor (both financially and academically). It was like a competition to see whose parents had to have the most jobs in order to make enough to enroll their kids in school. When we switched uniforms in 10th grade, all the cool kids still kept their old ugly brown ones and they would act snooty about it..."WE can't afford the new ones *sniff*."

When I was in 11th grade, I turned down the chance to be in 12th grade English because I was already in AP chemistry and physics and 12th grade pre-cal, and I didn't want to have to deal with MORE comments.

I didn't miss out on much...12th grade English was taught by a miserable old nun who gave me (when I finally had her in actual 12th grade) an 87% on my Edna St. Vincent Millay term paper because my margins were not exactly an inch (and there were pencil marks on the paper to show she had measured them with a ruler!). About my actual content she wrote: "good content." And the demoness who sat next to me got a 94%, even though she plagiarized her paper, because her margins were perfect but her page numbers were not exactly 1/2 inch from the top. I swear to God I'm not making this up. When we read "Pride and Prejudice" and "Jane Eyre" our tests were fill-in-the-blank. "Mr. Darcy's sister is named ___________." This was AP English!

It was hell on earth. At lunch we were not allowed to walk near the cafeteria doors, as though they were fearing a prison break. We would get detentions for not having our shirts tucked in ("failure to promote a business-like atmosphere") and yet every year, the freshmen were forced to dress up like babies for a week as part of their initiation, and there were stuffed animals and kitten posters everywhere, and we were all forced to take child development and go on retreats that operated under the guise of religion but were all about friendship and girly SHIT. I wasn't allowed to do my History Day project on the Vietnam War because "it was too violent" and had to do it on the wretched QUAKERS instead. My class was PUNISHED by having to clean up all the garbage after the pep rally in my junior year when it was determined that we didn't have enough school spirit. Oh, the humanity!

The only good thing was my women's studies class I took senior year. I and my best friend Lorraine were the only seniors in there....everyone else was fucking stupid...we were the only ones who knew what the word "terrorism" meant, for Christ's sake! But the cool part was when we got to write letters to our principal, pretending to be Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley critiquing our school, and MAN ALIVE did we go off!!

Not unlike the way I did just now.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 - 09:26 pm:

And the WORST part is, my mom teaches there...and the crap the teachers are put through by the administration is even worse than the crap they put the students through. Just last week she was called into the office and reprimanded for not eating with the rest of her colleagues...they said she doesn't "connect" enough. Well, why not? Sure, the bastards spend thousands every fall on crayons and stuffed animals and stupid shit for the TEACHERS, BUT when my mom asked for money to buy new TEXTBOOKS...nothing! She got in TROUBLE for wanting to raise the grade cut-off for 3rd and 4th year foreign languages...they said she was being ELITIST! Because she wants her students to do well!

I've got to stop before I work myself up any more. Sorry about this, y'all.

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 - 11:17 pm:

Lucy, I know from Friends, if you mean the one on Long Island. My friend Jaques teaches there now, and for four years, I worked as staff for a four day wilderness/adventure retreat that the ninth graders went on in Connecticut. Most of the kids were pretty spoiled, but there were a few who were tolerable.

By Margret on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 12:14 pm:

Lucy: Baltimore Friends, Sandy Spring Friends? I know a couple of people who went to Baltimore Friends...well, I knew 2 people and one of them died. So I just know one person now.
    I went to the Key School.
    Graduated in 1985.
    At least neither of us went to McDonough.

By Lucy Phurre on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 12:21 pm:

Baltimore Friends.
    Don't get me wrong, we had some great teachers (and a couple of lousy ones), but the administration was a disgrace, and the students were vile, spoiled, stupid, inbred aristocrats.

By Margret on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 12:43 pm:

The two people I know/knew are:

Remy Johnston (deceased)
    John Berndt (alive)

I believe both are from wealthy families. John Berndt, though, does not fit the profile of your torturer...I think.

By Patrick on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 12:52 pm:

jesus Rhi, you catholics are wacky. Being so enlightend yourself I just don't understand how you align yourself with that.....

My high school was racially and economically charged. We had black students bussed in from the southside of Raleigh, we were the richest high school in the district...WTF? I guess they figured we had the most resources to share, but these bussed in kids seemed miserable. They spent more time harassing the weaker whiteys, the ones who kept to themselves than doing anything else productive, or so it seemed. I had about 3 close friends. We took as many art classes as possible and spent as much time smoking as we could. We were disgusted by the majority. In the age of Pearl jam and Nirvana and "alternative culture" there were so many who sought to align themeselves with people like myself and my friends because we had been "freaks" since middle school....they wanted to identify, but they never seemsed to understand our humor, or sarcasm or why we felt the pep rallys fascist. They didn't understand the humor we found in taking grandpas codeine in French class and vomitting all over himself....(not me but my buddy)...they didn't see the humor in taking acid, and walking the halls with "spot vision".....or taking a German verbal test that same day (of which I passed with flying colors (literally) thank you very much)....they didn't get it.....they didn't get anything...they just got the new cabriolette, the cheerleading squad etc etc ......
    Eventually some assholes started to harass and intimidate, the picked fights. they would block us from leaving the parking lot, one time my close friend was fed up and pulled a razor blade on the douchebag that was sticking his hands in the car trying to take a swing....as we were pulling away. After a hearing, my friend was allowed to stay in school after numerous people including several teachers vouched for him and insisted that he was one of the brightest student in theschool and he was being ousted because of a failing system. I even wrote a 3 page letter to the superintenedent to make sure he finsihed school. He did...he is one of the smartest people i know......we were escapists, isolationists. We were completely content in smoking as much pot as we could and playing extremely loud and distorted music in my friends basement after school, either that or we would have serious rounds of Uno or Street Fighter....riding motorcycles extremely fast on country roads.......we were perfectly content reading Vonnegut or Sartre or whatever during lunch or in math class......so many wanted to reach out, we were a mystey, i was more outspoken than the 3 or 4 of my friends, i was more friendly, but once i was crossed i never went back, and I was crossed by people i trusted initially...my respect comes easy, but once I am disrespected i never go back...........I was fortunate to have decent teachers, especially my AP US History teacher who was ironically a coach as well, but he was really great in the classroom. My art teachers were lax with me about being late or whatever,and also gave me a lot of encouragement. The recognized our minds and they understood that we didn't see the importance of report cards, punctiality or detention....i loved art detention, we got to work on our assignments......I had a psychology teacher that busted our balls, in a scared straight kinda way, he shed the puritanical nature most teachers had, he didn't take "shit" "fuck" "damn" "hell" from anyone, either angry parents or teachers because he used these words.......he shook us up and brought us back down, he played with our reality,he encouraged us to be individuals and fight the socialization of high school, he demonstrated that beast.."high school" he used concrete examples to show us how not to be caught, swept and fooled by that enitity...to fall the pressures of peers.....ahh hell i could ramble, i will spare you.....

Lucy , you had it rough, and I appreciate it and I understand why at times you can be alittle combative, I can say I would be the same way....

By Patrick on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 02:07 pm:

either of you girls know a Jennifer McCullough?

just checking

By heather on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 03:24 pm:

patrick you are so cool

By Patrick on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 03:39 pm:

your aggression towards me is undaunting and unfounded....don't be an ass or at least be interesting and amusing with it

By heather on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 04:16 pm:

...ahh hell i could ramble, i will spare you.....

amusing... let's see... plot for a made for tv movie?

i don't care if i'm not daunting

i guess i'm just tired of exhaltation of the obvious

the truth-
    on one hand i'm playing a 'i'm cooler than you' role by stating that exclaiming that your story would be the "known" to all of us who have been in any somewhat similar position- so yes, that's lame of me
    on the other hand- anyone who would have an issue with what you said wouldn't say anything because of having to go through all this- i don't even know what got into me just now for starting this

and fuck you, i don't have to explain myself

tell me what you're doing now. say something provocative

By J on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 04:28 pm:

He,s too busy being provocative right now.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 04:32 pm:

Hey, maybe she genuinely liked what you said about yourself!

You've said before that you thought you and I had similar high school experiences...it does sound like that. I had an AP History teacher that I loved, too. He was an ex-Army man...didn't take any garbage from anybody, gave the best lectures, was really fair in grading, gave us neat projects to do. He was a great teacher.

When we were seniors and in that women's studies class, Lorraine and I would bring our Virginia Woolf and John Stuart Mill and Betty Friedan to the lunch table and force everyone around us into join in our conversations. That was interesting. Invariably this one girl would always ruin it....she always had this tone in her voice...like she was so impressed with herself for carrying on a philosophical conversation or something. She once said she hoped to be written up in the newspaper one day, just because she wanted to see her name in print. I told her I could have that arranged. She thought I was serious...I was thinking more along the lines of an obituary.

Ah, nostalgia.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 04:34 pm:

Oh, whoops. That little optimism at the beginning....heh. See what happens when I take too long to post?

By Nate on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 04:43 pm:

i think heather just has a crush on patrick.

By heather on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 05:02 pm:

probably anxiety about my review next week

(my crush is on rhiannon)

By Patrick on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 05:19 pm:

heather why are you being such an ass, it's really mucking up the boards with your pessimistic bullshit.......

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 05:26 pm:

Oh, you rascal. I'm blushing.

There's been too much positivity coming my way lately. What do I have to do to get insulted around these parts?

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 05:28 pm:

Damn it again! I've got to practice my speed typing.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 05:29 pm:

(Need I say I'm kidding about the insults? My skin's too thin to catch some mud you people sling around here.)

By heather on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 05:45 pm:

rhiannon, it was positivity toward you

patrick is spiraling out of control

or taking me too seriously

By Patrick on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 05:48 pm:

probably the latter.....and I am not out of control, it's a neat little airal trick i like to do, it is usually a real crowd pleaser but at times, folks are unsure if I am really going down

By heather on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 05:53 pm:

yes. finally.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 06:13 pm:

Heather: Aw. Don't make me come over there! (BTW, thanks for the compliment.)

Patrick: You know how hard it is for *me* to tell when you're being straight and when you're being sarcastic... When all we're given is words -- no facial expressions or tones of voice -- it's easy to misunderstand what you (and others) say, so that's just a risk you have to take when you whip out the old sarcasm, ya know?

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 06:16 pm:

Something I just noticed, way back in one of Cyst's early posts: Rush is from Canada? I thought they were British.

By Semillama on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 07:24 pm:

reading Lucy's story reminded me of the DK tune "Jock-O-Rama". I think that schools are set up to reinforce the social herarchy, of course. I also think that the ones that aren't destroyed by the smelting fires of peer disapproval and mentor indifference come out the other end as burnished steel.

rock on, lucy and those who got sexually harassed in school (myself included).

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 08:09 pm:

Spoken like a true Rollins fan.

But you can't leave us like that...what's your harassment story?

By Cyst on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 08:34 pm:

rhiannon - rush is definitely from canada. we got that question right.

last night at trivia night we sucked. we tied with a bunch of people for third so they randomly chose a team to give the third-place prize to, but it wasn't us.

however, the team to whom I gave a box of cake mix last week (it was one of our prizes), they made it and brought it to the bar last night. it was pretty good. lemon.

By Me on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 08:18 am:

if it is so hot there, how about some hot pussy, I love to eat and lick pussy, any nice looking girls want to cum im my mouth? let me know. I will also let you suck on my long dick and I will cum in your mouth too. No charge. I love sex!

By Dani on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:16 pm:

That just makes me so hot,call me at 314-629-2941 ask for Dani and say the secret code"slob on my nob" so I know it's you. I'll be wetting for your call.

By Gerry on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 07:11 pm:

How comes all your messages are well out of date

By wisper on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 07:08 pm:

aaah! the matrix!!!!

By Lapis on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 12:58 am:

What happened to all the posts between Gerry and wisper?

By Hal on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 10:48 am:

I don't know... But it claims I've posted here, and I know I haven't...

Someone call Sorabji, one of us broke the forums.

By Lapis on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 03:09 pm:

Augh!!!!!!

By wisper on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 06:53 pm:

holy crap, i couldn't see anything on this thread after "Gerry on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 07:11 pm" and the 24 hour search said there were many posts after that, and now that i posted i can only see Gerry, then me, then you guys. If i clicked on anyone after Gerry (but before i posted) it would take me to BigKev's post at the begining.

this thread is haunted!!

By BIGKev on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 06:57 pm:

trippy... one of my VERY early posts... man was i a kid then.

reading that totally took me back..

By patrick on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 07:59 pm:

Rhiannon aka Spider sending me that leaf was very sweet.

By Nate on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 09:53 pm:

Wehn I first met you didn't realize I can't forget you for your surprise You introduced me to my mind And left me wanting you and your kind

i love you, oh you know it.

By jack on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 10:10 pm:

alright now

By heather on Saturday, August 9, 2003 - 12:05 am:

god

what the hell was up with me?

By jack on Saturday, August 9, 2003 - 12:33 am:

the "patrick moment" strikes once more!

By patrick on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 01:29 pm:

i really wish old threads had a self-destruct date implanted in their code.

you know.

say.....6 months after the last post.

'poof'

By semillama on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 04:00 pm:

Kazoo would have a serious disagreement with that.

By V on Saturday, October 9, 2004 - 10:08 pm:

So you turn GAY after 6 months?...WOW!

By V on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 09:15 pm:

poof?

By V on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 02:09 am:

Now was that a cool comment or what?

By V on Sunday, January 9, 2005 - 06:58 pm:

I still think that was cool.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact