Payphone next to homeless program, Chicago, Illinois

sorabji.com: The Payphone Project: Payphone next to homeless program, Chicago, Illinois
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Illinois nurse assistant on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 02:03 am:

312-730-9978

Payphone next to homeless program in Chicago, Illinois.

By Anonymous Victim on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 12:26 pm:

This phone number showed up on my home phone and cell phone. How did this person/number get my information?

By jack on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 12:47 pm:

"victim"?

By Chris on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 01:19 am:

I got a call from this number on feb. 23, 2004, what is the deal with this?

By Princess on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 11:46 am:

I too got a call from this number last week and upon further investigation I found out that it's a phone calling card service.

If you call the number the recording says that it's a "prepaid phone calling service" or something like that.

By Pigcalf on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 06:11 pm:

I keep recieving phone calls from this number. Who is this?

By Wonderingang on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 06:32 pm:

I got a call at 3am one morning at home.....Then last night I got a call at 1am from this number on my cell.... How did they get my cell number???... How do I stop them???

By Skippy on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 05:04 am:

i just checked, this number and another in georgia are calling card routers. So if you see them on your caller id, it is someone you know, calling via att or sams club calling card.

By Barb on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 07:27 pm:

I received 2 calls on Saturday night between 2:00-2:30 AM. I received another call yesterday afternoon - all on my cell phone. All three times they left me a message, but I couldn't understand a word they were saying. It looks like they called me again, but didn't leave a message this time. ???

By Ft Rucker on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 01:34 pm:

I received a call today at 11:06 A.M.
    The caller left a message and I.D.ed himself as Allen!
    This person is in Honduras right now.

By Friargirl on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 06:14 pm:

I just got a missed call from this number today at 5 PM. I tried looking it up on whitepages.com, but the best I could figure it's a number in Chicago. They didn't leave a message. It's weird that this is happening to so many people.

By Janel on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 12:33 am:

I just got a call from my boyfriend who is currently deployed to Bagdad, Iraq. I think this number is a calling card number.

By Confused on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:02 pm:

That same number showed up on my caller id on February 26th... but when I actually picked up the phone it was a call from my friend who is stationed in Afganistan. Are you sure this is a calling card service, or is my friend lying to me? I looked up the number and it said that 1-312-730 is a Chicago phone number. So please let me know when someone figures it out.

By Odessa G. on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 12:37 am:

To all: This number is a calling card number. My roommate is at basic training for the Air Guard at Keesler Air Force Base and she uses cards through this company, although I know not which company it is.

By Puzzled on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:03 pm:

I got a call from this number too and used Google to see if there was a listing. I found this registry for the number. Scary!

By Juice on Thursday, April 1, 2004 - 01:17 am:

Well, I too have received this number on my caller ID on various occasions with no messages. I just received it again tonight. In the last 4 months, I have logged this number down 8 times. I am curious as well

By J on Thursday, April 1, 2004 - 02:15 am:

You got any crusty friends who are down and out?

By KID on Friday, April 2, 2004 - 10:02 am:

On sunday March 29, 2004 @ 6:27 p.m.I received a call from this # also, a women who is harrasing my fiance' and can't take no for an answer. What lonely women will do!

By Brian on Saturday, April 3, 2004 - 11:09 am:

Give it up folks there is no reason to post any more messages didn't you read the posts here?
    I purchased an AT&T calling card while at a Winn Dixie super market in Florida. I was going on a cruise and wanted a calling card to call home from the Carribean.
    When I use the "800" access number to dial 312-730-9978 shows up on the person I am calling's caller ID.
    So if you get a call from this number it is either someone you know with an AT&T calling card, a wrong number or someone who doesn't want anybody to know who they are and are using a calling card rather than a home phone #.

By Kevin on Saturday, April 3, 2004 - 01:42 pm:

Got a call from this baby this morning as well. Didn't leave a message, so I guess the person isn't in too much distress!!!

By Someone who is not Jesus on Sunday, April 4, 2004 - 01:10 pm:

Got a call from this # last night at about 3 am... Answered it and the person wanted to know if Jesus was there... Weird group of people if ya ask me

By New time on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 - 10:21 pm:

Got a call from this # at home and at work.

By Mamma Gail on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 01:19 am:

Yep, it is a number through which calling cards get routed. My son called tonight from Al Udeid AFB, Qatar and that was the number on caller ID. Isn't this fun?

By New Time on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 07:05 pm:

If the other end talks, it's no problem. People are using this # to harrass others by hanging up without response ... there's no way to know who is calling.

Mamma Gail, here's a question for you: Where did your son buy the card, I mean which state?

By Sablesdynasty on Friday, April 9, 2004 - 09:06 pm:

I recieved this number on my caller ID and it was a friend using a calling card from overseas where he is deployed at. Nothing more then just a calling card routing number.

By Neeraj on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 07:17 pm:

I just received a call from this number, and it seems its from Chicago. But when i dialed it back, its a prepaid service number.

By LKP on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 10:48 am:

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN, NO ONE IS HARRASSING YOU, SIMPLY DIAL THE NUMBER BACK AND IT WILL TELL YOU THAT ITS A PRE-PAID CALLING CARD. Most calling card numbers end in "9978". As for why the say "Chicago" or "Atlanta" that's probably where they were manufactured or distributed.

By Dan on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 06:42 pm:

Well, but that doesn't answer the question of why so many people are getting wierd calls and hangups, so, you know, calm down. I just got one too -- they stayed on the line for a full minute, then hung up.

By J on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 03:13 am:

It's one of your down and out crusty friends,out of a tongue,and only as you picked up the receiver did he realize you couldn't see his fingers frantically trying to tell you in sign language his dilemma.

By Steve on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:24 am:

A search on Google.com using "312 730-9978" delivers hits for this webpage and the following website, you can view a message there which was posted Date: 2003-11-20, 9:57AM EST, and may help connect this number to an actual person. I have not tried it. http://baltimore.craigslist.org/laf/19631322.html

By MR SKEPTICAL on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:31 am:

ANYONE GETTING CALLS FROM THIS NUMBER, JUST REMAIN CALM. oNE THING YOU MAY WANT TO DO IS CHECK YOUR PHONE BILLS CAREFULLY AND BE SURE YOU AREN'T BEING BILLED FOIR OUTGOING CALLS TO THIS NUMBER.........LONG SHOT AND ONLY A GUESS HERE, BUT MAYBE IT IS BEING USED TO REDIRECT BILLING FOR CALLS MADE OVERSEAS

By Brian on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 01:33 am:

Instead of continuing to post repetitive messages about this #, why doesn't each of us do something to prevent it from happening further...it's obvious that we're annoyed not because it's a friend or family member calling us but because people are using this as a way of making crank phone calls without you knowing who it is. I'm pretty sure that a girl I know (who stalks me) is using this method to see if I'm home.

It's BS that people can still get around the caller ID...we all have caller ID for a reason...take your complaints to AT&T, other long distance companies, and most importantly, the FCC (http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html)
    You can also call the FCC at (1-888-225-5322). The more complaints they get, the quicker something will be done about this annoyance. Good luck!!

By Brian on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 11:18 am:

I spoke to someone at the FCC this morning....everyone who has had a problem with this # need to do the following:
    Send an email to: crc@ftc.gov and a copy to fccinfo@fcc.gov

In the email, state your name and phone number and give as much detail about the problem as possible (#'s of times called by this number, time of day/night, is it a hang-up call?, etc.) The more you can give them, the better. Also refer them to this web site so they can see everyone else who has had a problem with this # calling us.

Good luck to us all!

By Dana on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:01 pm:

I have also received a call last night from that same #. My ex-husband used to buy calling cards from Sam's Club, so I would have to agree, this is definitely a calling card.

By The Terminator on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 02:55 pm:

Somebody said "calm down; it's a calling card...so?!!...how do YOU know it is a telemarketer?" I would think a telemarketer would at least try to talk to me long enough to ask for my credit card #; I have been getting 8-10 calls a day for 2 mos. and when I answer they hang up. Here are the numbers that have called my phone over the past 2 months that repeatedly hang up:

865-297-9978
    312-730-9978
    407-393-9079
    412-230-9978

Whoever it is is agressive as hell. If it is a telemarketer, why would they hang up and then call several more times and hang up? I have installed a new feature that allows me to block certain #s and I will include these bastards, but there source of numbers may be huge. I'll report back on what happens. So far no luck into finding out who is using the card to make the calls to my # over and over and over again

By THE REPLICANT on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 06:25 pm:

ITS ARE NEW INNOVATIVE MARKETING TECHNIQUE. YOU WILL SUBMIT.

By USMC Girl on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 07:35 pm:

I just got a call from this number, it is a calling card number. My boyfriend called me from it. He is stationed in California doing training for Iraq. DONT PANIC!!!

By Rajani on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 01:42 am:

Hi I'm from India...and I got a blank call from this number this morning. I landed up to this page after I searched this number on google. Sounds weird that this number has caused such a chaos all around the world!!

By heather on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 03:21 am:

this is going EXACTLY AS PLANNED!

By Buford on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 01:36 pm:

what a bunch of inbreeds ya'll are

By Tammy9487 on Wednesday, May 5, 2004 - 12:29 am:

this is too damn funny....

By Strong on Wednesday, May 5, 2004 - 08:23 pm:

weak.

By Ed on Thursday, May 6, 2004 - 10:15 am:

My wife answered a call after 11:00 p.m. from a man asking for Gene/Jean. My wife told him he had the wrong number and hung up. Our caller I.D. displayed 321-730-9978. When I tried *9 and calling this number directly, I got that typical "can't complete my call as dialed" reply.

By Blahblahblah on Thursday, May 6, 2004 - 11:46 pm:

I can't believe how pathetic this is.
    my boyfriend called me from Laughlin AFB in TX and this # came up. I think that all of you just have to accept that this # is nothing more than a routing card!!!
    GET OVER IT!

By ExitOnly on Friday, May 7, 2004 - 09:02 pm:

OH MY God!! I just got a call from this number on my cell phone and I am FREAKING OUT!! I knew that they would find me but I didn't think they would find me so soon! It has only been 2 months since I was abducted by the space aliens and taken to their spaceship for intensive anal probing and after I escaped through the flux inductor continuum I thought I might live for at least a couple of years without being captured. How the heck did the aliens get a pre paid calling card from Walmart anyway?

By E.T on Friday, May 7, 2004 - 09:38 pm:

Cause Sam Walton was an alien.

By Mary on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 05:06 pm:

As it's been said this is a calling card, my best friend called me from Iraq yesterday and that is the number that popped up. He said it was a calling card. Just backing up the case for the calling card (which it is) so the random calls you get are random calls from people using calling cards

By Colorado on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 06:35 pm:

Me too. rang twice, didn't answer and thought I'd Google it.

Wierd.

By The Dream on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 03:32 am:

My dudes and chicks,

Do not freak; I'm the one calling you. I just wanted to get to know you better before our arranged marriage is consumated.

Love,

Ravi

By They call me AMIKA Ask Me I Know All on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 06:11 am:

SUPERNATURAL
    Wow have I got one for you. It is a calling card. But not just any calling card, its a special calling card. One that can't be traced. Duh duh... But it is a two edged sword for one party as well as the other. The people that are getting weird calls at weird times might be just as myself...possibly getting screwed by your mate. The rest of you, You are all just getting innocent calls from loved ones or friends, maybe even ones over seas. Now get this though, I get a call tonight just after 11:00 p.m. and it's a guy. He asks for my wife by her first name only and so I ask him who he is. He says he's a friend. Well my wife doesn’t have many friends especially men friends. I then ask him how old the woman he is looking for is and he tells me her age. I ask him what he needs to talk to her about and he says, "Why the third degree." And so I said " Because she's married." He asks me my wife's last name, I say, "No what's the girls last name your looking for and he tells me some name like Smith or Jones or something generic like that and he tells me where she lives and be darned if it's only about 5 minutes from where my wife gets on and off the bus every day from her job in the Big City. Well he tells me sorry and he hangs up. end of story right, wrong, a few seconds later he calls me back and says he was just checking to see if he called the wrong number. O.K. but the reason is because he left her number at the office. Well, my wife and I both have cell phones, the ONLY DIFFERENCE in their numbers are 1 digit off and if she's anything like me she has told people my phone number meaning to give them hers and I have given people her number instead of mine. NOW ALL THIS GOT ME WONDERING SO I try to google the phone number and bam look what I find ""A BUNCH OF PEOPLE SEARCHING FOR SOME TRUTH."" SEARCH AND YOU MAY FIND. Now if you didn't want to be identified by who you are calling what a better way than to use a calling card that shows a generic phone number like this. GOD forbid my wife is cheating, this I do not now know but ...as time goes by life will be revealed

By Shotgunat420 on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 05:26 pm:

holey shit!! I just got a call from it, put it into google and this thread came up~~so it's a calling card LOL

By Robert in DC on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 09:50 am:

I just recieved a lovely message from this number completely in arabic....should I be afraid?

By Robert in DC on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 09:53 am:

they left the following # 001-310-809-1027

By Raige on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 10:15 am:

A lot of calling Cards are routed through Chicago from over seas. They tend to go through the company that owns the card.

By Jackleg on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 10:29 am:

BORKA IS A FAGGOT

By ANNOYED on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 01:33 am:

I've been getting calls from these numbers nearly every night at the same time! they are usually in the middle of the night but more recently happening during the days too! they are almost always from 404-461-9978 and 720-587-9978 today i got three in a row from 407-393-9079. it's getting a little old and annoying!! They never leave messages and dont say anything when I answer!!

By heather on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 01:50 am:

that's because you're an ass

By ShawnaC123 on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 02:10 am:

oh snap

By Tiredticked on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 03:39 am:

My girlfriend just woke me up freaked out because of this stupid number. Some guy called and asked her what she was doing/wearing. She stalled him and checked the called ID. This number was on it. She hung up he hasn't called back...yet. Talk about lonely and pathetic!!

By Easy learner on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 11:24 am:

ITS JUST A DUMB CALLING CARD NUMBER!!!! HOW MANY TIMES MUST IT BE SAID BEFORE SOMEONE LISTENS!!!! SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST TOO PARANOID!!!!

By MindtrapX on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 09:31 am:

Hehehe
    I left my cell phone in the car when I got in here to work, and it showed that I missed this call this morning at just after 8:00am.

I was suprised to see this thread pull up, but I assume it was a friend of mine stationed in Fort Campbell, KY. Could not get back a hold of him to confirm, but I am sure it is no big deal...

By Tripper_76 on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 07:17 pm:

Holy CRAP!!! ARE YOU ALL AMERICANS ON THIS SITE? ARE YOU ALL TOTALLY AND UTTERLY PARANOID OR SOMETHING? What is the big obsession with caller ID? I live in Queensland, Australia. We have caller ID now, but you can switch it off, or you can dial '1831' before any telephone number and your ID will not show up. Everyone should have the choice of showing their number or not right? Hmmmm... Im ranting. I'm tired... i just cant understand how THAT MANY POSTS were made about such a stupid and irrelavent subject??
    :-)

By Col. Sanders on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 07:32 pm:

sounds like someone is itching for a ticket to
    Abu Ghraib

By Kyle on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 01:07 pm:

This is a phone card. when someone called at 8:56 on 5/22/04 me and my mom forgot to pick it up. When my mom tried calling back it was a phone card. She didnt know who would call from out of state except my aunt angie who was going to Chicago the following morning to work as a nurse assistance at a homeless center. So i looked up the number on google and coincedently poped up this site. Later, we had a phone call from the same number at about 9:01 am on 5/22/04, picked it up and ends up being my aunt angie who said she was in chicago at a payphone. So everyone, its a calling card.

By S. Kwan Dohlas on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 12:43 pm:

I got a call on my cel phone early this morning...strange time for a call. Got this number and Googled it, leading me here. I'm guessing that it's a calling card, though I don't know anyone who would be calling my cel phone at that time with a calling card. Perhaps a wrong number?

Anyway, I'm just posting this to get the douchebags all worked up. Go douchebag! Tell me I'm a fool!

By Keith on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 12:55 pm:

oh my gawd dose this meen that someboddy is calling me from iraq?

By THE LADY OF MEXICO MAN on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 09:58 pm:

IF ANYONE GET THIS MESSAGE I.AM TRYING TO FIND OUT HOW SOMEONE THAT CALL MY HOME SATURDAY PLEASE CALL ME BACK I TRY TO CALL THE NUMBER AND THE PERSON WANT ANSWER THE CELL PHONE THE PERSON IS AROUND 18 YEAR OLD SHE LIVE IN PALATKA FL OR SAY SHE DO PLEASE CALL AS SOON AS YOU CAN

By Survivor on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 12:54 pm:

someone has been threatening to kill me. they have been calling from vegas.when i saw the chicago # i thought this person was on his way to come kill me. thanks to this web site i can sleep tonight.

By Sye on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 05:13 pm:

I have never laughed so hard at someone else's paranoia, or should i say dementia?

Nightly, I receive calls from phone numbers that make no sense to me. That's because my boyfriend lives in Florida and he uses a calling card to call me.

AT&T, SBC, and Verizon all use the same phone banks to route their long distance calls from calling cards. Even if you use a calling card to call from a payphone in the same city as the person you are calling, these calls will be routed through the call centers.

When I first started getting these calls, I did a city search from the area codes. Turns out these call centers are in Chicago, Denver, and Atlanta. Hmmmm, you know, these cities are the main starting point for each respective phone company. Makes you wonder, huh?

By Navy Bound on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 11:21 pm:

For those of you that have friends overseas in the military...Did you forget about the time difference??? Calls that come at weird hours to us are normal times for a lot of our buddies overseas... I got a call from this number too but it turns out it was just a friend overseas...so dont worry to much

By Karen on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 10:56 am:

Hi .. Got a call from this number 9am 5/28 ... Happy Memorial Day!

By Liz in NY on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 11:38 pm:

I got a phone call at 10pm tonight from this number-sounds like I've been lucky with times upon reading the entries. What in the world?! They left a message but as I can't check my messages at the moment (argument with the company). Hmmm, now I wonder who it could have been if they called by a card? Well, at least I'm not the only one getting odd calls!

By Cantbelievetheirthatsick on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 02:56 pm:

There is one other possibility:
    My kid listens to an online(internet) radio station that makes crank calls to unsuspecting folks - particularly rural areas. I listened to what some kids(& moronic adults) consider great pasttime fun: For example, the station calls a chosen number(they most often also know the person's name) & play the following ruse: a young African-American woman claims the man of the house has impregnated her. In another, the caller claims to be collecting for the KKK. The calls are made repeatedly over several days. Of course the answering party denies all- What fun for all those listening on the interent. Surprisingly, as ridiculous as the calls' claims are, some folks that answer the call stay on the line for up to 20 min. Gee I don't know who's the biggest idiots!?! But I'll bet anything that this number is used...

By GV-NE on Tuesday, June 1, 2004 - 12:30 pm:

JUST GOT ONE...GOOD THING I DON'T ANSWER CALLS FROM UNKNOWN #'S, IT WAS MY EX-WIFE FROM OREGON.
    HA, STILL HARRASING ME!

By HA HA HA HA on Tuesday, June 1, 2004 - 06:51 pm:

THANK YOU ALL FOR A GREAT LAUGH..HA HA HA HA. THIS IS ALL SO SILLY!!!!

By Good to be free on Saturday, June 5, 2004 - 01:02 am:

Hey Amika~

You might want to contract the services of a private eye to find out the truth about the misses. Nothing against her, but if it sounds fishy, as your deal does, it probably is! The hard part is seeing this while in the midst of the relationship. Believe me, I know. My soon-to-be-ex bullshitted her way around some strange events with me, and when I hired the PI, I discovered she was gay! (...you just never know...)

Now Single and loving it!

By Some girl in the U.S. on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 02:32 pm:

Ok, mine was weird, it was a guy (not the first time it happened by the way) he called at 3:50 a.m. and I answered it and asked what he wanted, he just wait hold on, wait a second. I asked who it was he said Robert something. I repeatedly asked what he wanted and he kept saying wait hold on, hold on a second. I finally yelled and hung up. But that was weird. He sounded like a telemarketer but wasn't selling anything.
    There was another girl who got this same number
    865-297-9978
    Another one that could be similar is 310-280-7373

By Havin fun with it on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:34 pm:

Man... My girlfriend got a call from this number and it was another girl asking for someone with my first name.. so, of course, she said "no, he's not here" and gave her my unlisted home number to call!! Hahahaha, no calls here yet! Lots of paranoid people seaching for these phone numbers though, huh????

By Jae on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 12:46 am:

It really is a phone card routing #. I'm in the army and have lots of friends who are deployed. I get calls all the time from these #'s and they are people I know that are overseas and even in the states. So just stop freaking out. If someone is calling you and hanging up then it is someone who knows you and has your # and they are doing it on purpose.

By LAPS on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 12:46 pm:

It IS a calling card number.
    The reason you get calls late at night is because people over in the middle east from the US use these cards, like soldiers, etc....

I got a call last night from a guy from the US in baghdad whom I sold something to on EBay.

By The One on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 02:55 am:

Its me! Its me! hahahaha! hahahaha!

By Gar Boone on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 01:36 pm:

There's no international component to this at all. One of my less affluent friends just got dropped by Verizon and he bought this card, evidently. I spotted this 312 number on my Vonage account after getting my first call from him in weeks. This is how he solved his "no phone" problem.

His call originated and ended in Connecticut less than ten miles from his apartment. So his calls get routed through Chicago, big deal. He dials his card number from wherever he wants.

By Ted Bundy on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 12:07 am:

Well, well, well...

I have a cell phone but have to have a line phone. The bills get high, so with the line phone I get minimal service and use calling cards for long distance. Today I had to call someone and when they asked where I was I said Louisville. They said I was a liar cause their machine said I was in Chicago???

So, with my line phone and the calling card I called my cell phone so I could see the number the card gave: 865-297-9978

So, I got on Google to do a search on it and found this site.

So, I guess I'm the guy that's been calling everybody at weird hours. Ha Ha Ha...

I'm on my way now, honey. ha ha ha...

By Ted Bundy on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 12:13 am:

The really strange thing about all of this, (to me anyway), is that if you do an "area code/prefix" search, 865-297 comes up as being in Knoxville Tennessee.

By Cwc on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 10:34 pm:

ok, i got a call from 1-312-730-9978
    so-- add me to the list

By Tommy franks on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 02:46 pm:

calling card people - let it die...

By Jake on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 06:44 pm:

Well, you can add another to the list getting a call from 312-730-9978. Here's a novel idea...I'm not sure it was said anywhere in the hundreds of messages above BUT...

DO YOU THINK IT MIGHT BE A CALLING CARD?

Wake up and smell the calling card people!

By Uncle Rummy on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:36 pm:

I got a call from this number, it was the President. He told me about this kegger that he was throwing, that Dubya.....such a partier.

By ...and Im still not as crazy as you all... on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:52 am:

Hey, y'all!!!

The weirdest thing happened to me. I was talking to my husband over the phone. He wasn't gone anywhere. He was just on the other phone, and we were screaming over the dial tone at each other just for fun when my calico cat Archibald got mad at me for yelling and jumped on and attached himself to my face. I started screaming bloody murder and fell over backward, and my head went through a window pain. I was bleeding profusely from multiple lacerations and was starting to lose consciousness.

That's when I started hallucinating about a giant squirrel on top of my house. He was banging a giant acorn on my roof, and I climbed up a tree onto the roof to tell him to stop before he damaged my shingles. He went right on banging and didn't acknowledge me at all at first.

Then as I began to listen more closely to the banging, I asked, "Hey! Is that Morse code?" Now, don't ask me how I thought of that because I don't even know Morse code, but the squirrel chuckled and winked, gave a little nod, spun around 3 times, clicked his heels, took a dump and scampered off. I took that as a, "Yes."

I don't know why, but the pattern stuck in my head. However, afraid of losing it and thinking that it MUST be something important, I wrote it down with a pen and piece of paper I conveniently had in my pocket, which is also strange because I'm illiterate. Therefore, I shouldn't even be typing this to you right now.

So anyway, the pattern was short-short-short-long-long (...--), short-long-long-long-long (.----), short-short-long-long-long (..---), long-long-short-short-short (--...), short-short-short-long-long (...--), long-long-long-long-long (-----), long-long-long-long-short (----.), long-long-long-long-short (----.), long-long-short-short-short (--...), and long-long-long-short-short (---..). Once I had written down this code, I began to come to...

I was back in the house where I'd passed out. The weird thing is that though I didn't really have that piece of paper, the pattern was scrawled across my wall in my own blood that I'd bled all over the place when I was injured. I don't know who wrote it unless I was sleep-walking somehow, or how the bleeding was stopped for that matter.

Anyway, my cat was calmly licking himself as if nothing had happened, and my husband had gotten bored and tired of listening to the loud, annoying "Beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep" that comes on instead of the dial tone after you've left the phone off the hook for a long time and, too ignoramous to check to see what happened to me when I had screamed and obviously fallen, had now gone to bed as if nothing had happened.

So being that I now seemed to have some spare time on my hands, I decided to do a search on line since you can find anything on line these days. I sat there for a few days trying to get the blasted computer to connect before I realized the phone was still off the hook, but it really worked great after I hung it up! I found out that in Morse code, that pattern stands for 312-730-9978, and then I did a search on that number and ended up here.

Isn't that the strangest thing? I mean really!!! Isn't it strange that my calico cat is male? I thought they were all or at least almost always female. If you have a male calico cat, isn't it worth a lot of money? Man, that WAS an important message! If I hadn't found you guys, I would have never realized how valuable Archibald is. Thank you all for your help!

By Icey on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:58 pm:

I found out those 2 numbers are a telemarketer. I had 8 in one day. I dropped the block on telemarketing for ONE day, and this is who it is....Telestar Marketing
    After much snooping, I found out this is how to get around caller ID, and telemarketing "no call lists". I reported them and was assigned a caseworker believe it or not,lol
    So, report report report. If theres a lawsuit involved....you are automatically included in the settlement...which, believe it or not isn't just a few cents, but sometimes well over $100.00.
    Hope this helped some

By Unclmdprpty on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 02:52 pm:

OK. I work for a govt agency and just got a call from this number, woman says we owe her money but she can't give me any details because she's being stalked and doesn't know who to trust. on a whim i google the number and here i am.... reading this when i should be WORKING!

By Helpless on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 10:14 pm:

she lori smith of warrensburg ny is using 3 #s to irritate others i have been posting this for over a year now.407-393-9079,727-559-0869,518-307-3245 if we all try maybe the calling can be stopped i prefer to remain anonynomous due to court proceeding with her.thanks all of you for helping

By Pissed on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 02:35 am:

865-297-9978 X3 times

called it back once, asked who it was,
    the persion said it was a payphone, said name was robert or something.

the thing that seemed strange, is that who in the hell would answer a ringing payhone?

By Swr on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 09:07 pm:

ok , i just got a call from this number and ended up here, this is fucked up.

By Sugardaddy on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:46 pm:

I too got a call from the damn! number
    I don't answer call from numbers I don't know.
    I'm talking about 312 730-9978.

By TNR on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:49 pm:

I have been getting calls from this number as well. I am so pissed!!! They call 24hrs a day (today alone by 9AM I had 22 calls). Is there no way to block this crap. If anyone knows of a way, PLEASE post. Thank you. It may be a calling card/telemarketer, but whoever or whatever the hell it is, is very annoying.

By NavyMan on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 02:04 pm:

I was in Navy boot camp when we were issued these calling cards at Great Lakes RTC from at&t...I still have my calling car from Basic and it has been well over a year..I just recived a call at 9:38AM MST, I know that it is a friend in Fallujah, Iraq He was just deployed there a few weeks ago. Relax everyoned i know it is very odd but i can assure you it is someone you know or Fuck maybe even a wrong number. You never know..if it bugs you that bad go to that fcc link a make a fuckin complaint. Anywayz this is no longer a concern to me or should it be to you.

By NavyMan on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 02:06 pm:

TNR you should have an option to block incoming out of state calls...you need to call your service provider and get the security code.

By Markeleven on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 02:51 pm:

Caught my wife cheating.
    She and "Mr. Wonderful" used an elaborate construct of pre-paid calling cards back and forth between her and his cell phone.

This is done so as to not be able to trace calls back to the caller BUT it doesn't stop odd calls of unusual duration appearing on the cell phone bill from these "fishy" pre-paid calling cards.

You might not be able to identify the boy friend but you sure as hell can figure out there is a boyfriend.

The crank calls coming from these cards are probably just coincidences.

If someone who has a cell phone with gobs of minutes buys a pre-paid card . . . they are hiding something.

By Mindysue1304 on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 03:15 pm:

I know when this number first comes up on your phone you kinda wonder, then you call it back, and blah blah then you look it up on the internet and it leads you here and everyone tells you that its a phone card..... and you realize that someone you know was just tryin to get a hold of you and they are just using a phone card to do it. It kinda scared me but i'm glad this site helped me figure it out... thanks!!

By Pilatesmom on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 07:16 pm:

Listen up, I am amother of two, attractive female who has been stalked before. I own my own usinessand have been getting pranks calls from a an who has an accent,I thought might be spanish or middle eastern. After sevral conversations with te mn about my business he was inquiring about I knew asomething was fishy. He always asked the smae repettitve questions. I finally realized it was a wierdo and not a legit potential customer for my Pilates Studio. the last time he called my cell was several weeks ago and I toldhim if he wasn't going tobook an appointment he'd betterstop calling. 3 nights ago my home phone rang after putting my youngest to sleep. It was the same voice. I freaked wondering how this person got to my home phone. He told e he knew me and was 5 apartments away and asked if I could see him. I said no but I'm sure my shotgun does, he then proceeded to tell me something reguarding the last 4 women when I hung up and called 911. This is serious even if it is just a prank,especially as a woman. this person somehow chose my cell phone then got real personal by calling my house. I'm going to report this to th FCC with the link provided, thank you for showing that. I hope the catch this sick freak!

By Joshgrobanrules on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 12:31 am:

HI everyone!! Did the typical: got a call, googled it, read all this, and laughed hysterically. I think the one about archibald the cat wins hands down. All the mean comments were pretty funny too, but really folks, just don't worry about it. Ciao!

By Antigone on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 02:09 am:

The mean comments were from crotchety message board regulars, like me.

You know, today I learned that some cutting edge physicists have been speculating that universes reproduce, each decendant having slightly different fundamental constants of nature. Those that believe this differ on what type of universe we're in: are we in a universe that has constants which more likely generate life, or are we in a universe who's constants lead to more universes being reproduced? Both sides are trying to rip the other side's arguments to shreds.

p.s. Fuck you.

By moonit on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 02:49 am:

You know, some people need to build bridges and get over them. Ohhhh a phone number i didn't know called me. Fuck. It's no wonder 'mericans are thought of as the most paranoid nation. Ever.

There was a time when you didn't have caller id. Now you can't live without it.

By J on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 03:40 am:

It really cramps my style.

By moonit on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 06:41 am:

all the teenage boys who won't make prank phone calls to the girls...

By Caller Id on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:56 am:

Really Moonit?

By Caller Id on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:56 am:

Really Moonit?

By Stressed Out on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 05:41 pm:

LOL....after getting a call on my cell from 312-730-9978, I thought what everyone else did...google it and found this site. I must say unlike others I was glad for this site cause it let me to realize it was a phone card and that it must be news from my mother about a very sick relative...I was right and got the information to make me feel better. Also wanted to say, thanks all for the entertainment in between writing my masters paper too :)

By Hmmm on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 11:15 pm:

those 4 numbers listed by the terminator have been calling me also.. almost all of them, if not all i cant remember cuz theyre strange numbers and nowhere around where i live.. but i recognize a couple. they call and nothing happens on the other end, just silence. it sounds like whoever it is on the other end muted their phone because they dont han gup and you cant even hear air.. but its my cell phone and it says when its a ahng up so i know they are on the line, whoever it is. also for about 3 months i was getting between 8-15 calls a day from a private number and those are definitely pranks cuz they leave voice mails sometimes. today i got a call from 407-393-9079. I am as lost as anyone else on this issue. Has anyone tried having the calls traced?

By Corbin on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 10:53 am:

I received 3 calls in the same night, all after 1am. Two came to my cell phone and one to my home phone. I sent an email to the FCC about it and encourage everyone else to do so as well. My husband and I have been harassed by a crazy neighbor in this manner for over a year now. We've changed our # and have to take the phone off the hook at night. It's ridiculous.

By Icey on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 04:45 pm:

Update : )
    I hit this site about 2 weeks ago because of constant calls from 3 numbers. I saw Brians post from back on 4/12 & 4/21, and I posted that same day that it was TELESTAR MARKETING.
    I followed Brians advice and sent a e-mail to the FCC using his link.
    Today..the FCC sent me a form to file a complaint against telemarketers. In it, all the problems discussed here are addressed, (dead air,"wrong numbers" etc). Along with links are information on where to go to register for for national no call lists, reporting violators if already registered,etc.
    I just wanted to say thank you to Brian. Until I saw your post, and acted on the link, these people were driving me nuts.
    Thanks again : )
    Icey

By Antigone on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 05:00 pm:

Great. Yet another federal agency snooping around this site. That's all we need...

By semillama on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 05:37 pm:

BOOBIES BOOBIES BOOBIES!!!!

Verily I Spit at Thee, FCC!!!

By ROBERTA on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 10:09 am:

Prank calls are made from calling cards all the time because of the inability to show the real # the call is coming from. Is there a way to find out where the call is actually coming from even if they use a calling card? ...& what if the use *67 before dialing through their calling card?

By MARY on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 10:31 am:

I hope not!!!! My friend used a calling card to leave an anonymous message to tip off another friend that her boyfriend was/is cheating on her. It was a good thing because it made my friend curious to find out the truth which she is now trying to do (I hope) & my other friend who made the anonymous called didn't have to worry about getting involved to the point that people would be mad at her. The boy really is cheating & now there is a much better chance that she will eventually find out & hopefully dump him. He's kind of stupid & ugly anyways. I guess you can call that a good prank phone call.

By The Worlds Greatest Fornicator on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 05:16 pm:

Their is no question that the FCC is more repressive than protective. Censorship keeps people from being real. It's not words that we should concern ourselves or even sex...it's violence that they should gear their policies toward

By Kim smith on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 04:15 pm:

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT ALL THE CONCERN IS OVER THIS NUMBER. I KNOW WHAT IT IS--IT IS A PHONE NUMBER THAT APPEARS WHEN YOU USE AN AT&T CALLING CARD AND IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE CALLER IS IN CHICAGO, IL. IT JUST SHOWS UP THAT WAY NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE CALLING FROM. I WOULD IMAGINE THAT MOST OF THE TIME PEOPLE WHO GET THESE CALLS KNOW THE PERSON AND JUST DON'T REALIZE THAT THIS IS A CALLING CARD. NOT A BIG DEAL FOLKS!

By Ice everlast on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:58 pm:

i got this call too. do i get a prize :o)?

By Kohn on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 08:17 pm:

NOOO, i got the same call on my cell at 1 am! must have been my gf who just recently moved to ny, too bad i was asleep :(

By Annoyed.....like everyone else on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 10:39 pm:

Adding to the list.......Ive gotten these numbers in the last 2 days.....and I called back with my friend's phone......and now SHES getting the calls......

865-297-9978
    407-393-9079
    203-906-6369 this guy actually left a message
    312-730-9978

By Kshep on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 07:22 pm:

this is the awesomest website i have ever stumbled across. morons. tee hee.

By Leilove on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 03:09 am:

What's strange is that there is an actual website to this phone number! Didn't think i'd find it... or find an answer. Another strange thing is this number attracts ppl to look it up on the internet. cuz i kno i had several unknown numbers and never cared to look it up on the net... i wonder wat this is all bout... One more thing... how long has this been going on? i mean, someone just posted a message the same time i got the call! weird... well anyway, i believe it's a phone card and my sister from n. carolina called me. now i just have to ask her in email if she did.. cuz she does not want anyone to contact her via phone. anyways, adios!

By Annoyed on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:07 pm:

I just got a call from this number. The guy knew my name and said he lived within 5 houses of me. He kept asking if I knew who it was but he wouldn't tell me his name. Then he said he had pictures of both me and my daughter getting ready for bed at night and that we were naked. He asked me if I wanted the negatives and the prints and I told him I really didn't care and hung up. Whoever this is is a total freak.

By AntiHero on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 11:15 pm:

I know this is a calling card. I met a married man who calls for phone sex. I answer my phone whenever I see this number. Ü

By Roberta to Kim Smith on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 03:07 pm:

To Kim Smith & anyone else for that matter:

We all know that this is a calling card # & how they are routed through different cities. Because of this, there are still a considerable amount of people who get pranked & harrassing calls & it doesn't seem like there is a way to stop it by finding out the actual source/location of the call since calling card calls are routed through different cities. Is there a way to find out who & where is actually calling even if they do use a calling card? Anybody know?

By Roberta to Kim Smith on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 03:07 pm:

To Kim Smith & anyone else for that matter:

We all know that this is a calling card # & how they are routed through different cities. Because of this, there are still a considerable amount of people who get pranked & harrassing calls & it doesn't seem like there is a way to stop it by finding out the actual source/location of the call since calling card calls are routed through different cities. Is there a way to find out who & where is actually calling even if they do use a calling card? Anybody know?

By Antigone on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 03:14 pm:

Yo. It gets worse.

Just give up now.

By Very Irritated on Wednesday, September 1, 2004 - 07:01 am:

I got a call from this number 312-730-9978 what is the deal? How do people get our numbers? Whoever it was decided it would be funny to call me at 11:45 at nite. What is wrong with people now days. Find sumthing better to do then just annoy people. Get a damn hobby for God's sake. Just leave me alone. Thanks!!!

By LADI FRICKIN DA on Wednesday, September 1, 2004 - 10:32 am:

So there is no way to trace a call that is made through a calling card to find out where the call is coming from?

By Me on Saturday, September 4, 2004 - 04:35 pm:

hmm, where do you get this calling card

By John stellano on Monday, September 6, 2004 - 07:16 am:

To Annoyed,

The exact same occurrence just happened to my mother including the 5 houses down, knowledge of my name, and naked pictures of me. I am concerned and would like to know if you live in the same area as me. I live in Dallas. Please respond back with your area. You don't have to give any specifics don't worry. Thank you very much

By Veryannoyed on Monday, September 6, 2004 - 11:21 am:

Got really freaked out when I received a call at 12:37 last night, didn't answer it because I was asleep. I started worrying if something very horrible happened to someone I knew, because no one calls that late. The number was 865-297-9978 I want to know who this person is, and am seriously considering calling them and tell them to mind their own business.

By Sara on Monday, September 6, 2004 - 09:47 pm:

"Got really freaked out when I received a call at 12:37 last night, didn't answer it because I was asleep. I started worrying if something very horrible happened to someone I knew, because no one calls that late. The number was 865-297-9978 I want to know who this person is, and am seriously considering calling them and tell them to mind their own business."

That same number has called my cell phone, and so has 407-393-9079 and she started asking me questions about myself so I hung up on her and she called me back and left me a voice mail. I'm gettin kinda freaked out. I live in Colorado

By Wow on Tuesday, September 7, 2004 - 11:09 am:

865-297-9978 MUST............BE.................STOPPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Dee on Tuesday, September 7, 2004 - 07:11 pm:

You can't trace a calling card router back to the person who left the message unless you get a hold of the calling card company with specific dates and times. This, too, may not work. My roomie had a similar problem with a stalker who was calling her through TTY operators. It's creepy but you can try to block the number.

By Matt on Thursday, September 9, 2004 - 09:13 am:

What are TTY operators

By Pissedoff on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 08:43 am:

OK, so it's a calling card... I can dig it, but how can you block certain #'s, if I could do that, then I could stop the damn girl that has been calling my husband for the last year. (GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)

By Andy on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 09:43 pm:

Wow that is really freaky!! I was looking in google to try to figure out from where this number is coming from and then I saw this website!! HAHAHAHA I didn'tknow that so many people were trying to figure it out too!! This s hilarious!!!! Well whenever anybody is SURE about where this number is coming from then put it here because I am still confused. And I REALLY hope that they arent billing us like how some people are saying. Hopefully this problem will solve as soon as possible!!!

By Tired in mt on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 04:34 am:

OK, here are my numbers:

Phone rang at 1:15 AM MST and my husband said "I bet it's a
    woman asking for Jack" 412-200-9978 sure enough, she did.
    When I was googling the number, she called again only this
    time from a different number: 407-393-9079

Hubby says that she has called over a dozen times in the last
    week asking for Jack. I asked her if she realized she was calling
    Montana, and she said she did, but she can't hit the buttons
    right. Well, I think she needs to try harder since she is waking us
    in the middle of the night!

By Leo on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 08:17 am:

I received one call today (Sep 12) at 6 am Central at my cell phone, but I missed it from that number (312-730-9978).....Google it and found this...now I couldn't go back to sleep because I'm puzzled. Is it a pay card phone or something???

By SexyBeast on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 09:08 am:

How many times does it have to be posted that these numbers are routing #'s from calling cards. For example, when someone uses a calling card to call you, their number will not show up on your caller id but the calling card company's routing number which could be located anywhere depending on the company & how many routing locations they have. Here's the big question...If you are receiving prank &/or harassing calls by the method of a calling card, their seems to be no way to have that traced to the # where the actual call is being made? Caller ID features & other features have pretty much put an end to prank/harrassing phone calls until the invention of the calling card. People can seem to prank others now & not have to worry about their call being traced to the number & location of origin & the victim finding out who is harassing them because this can't seem to be done when a calling card is used especially when they dial *67 before dialing by the calling card. Is there a way or not?

By Austin0072002 on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 01:28 pm:

This I as PrePaid Calling card. You can not reach the party that called you, if you dial the number. All you'll get is a recording saying that is a prepaid calling card.

By Ann on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 12:25 pm:

ok - found this link.... my boyfriend has been receiving calls (every Friday and Sunday evening) since March, from the 312 529 2365 number. He says he doesn't remember who it is. This number calls him, he uses his calling card to call back. Conversations for upto 3 hours back and forth each time. He has friends in the Middle East also. He says he knows no one in Chicago. I had the call traced, and was told it was a public phone on top of the Sears tower in Chicago, 773 529-2365 - the day I had it traced, it was strangely disconnected just hours after I told him I was checking it out ! He doesn't recall who he called with his calling card. What is interesting, is that I found a downtown map of Chicago on computer, which kinda lends credence to the Chicago thing going on here. Who knows ? Not me.
    Last I saw, the calls had stopped. But hey, where theres a will, there's a way.
    Not sure what to think anymore. Finding this site is amazing ! Glad I'm not alone.

By Antigone on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 01:48 pm:

No one is alone, no matter how you slice up the quantum pie. Whether you think there are infinite parallel universes or that we're all connected by temporal and/or spatial nonlocal interaction back to the big bang, we're never alone.

By Cat on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 04:07 pm:

You are if your dead.

By Antigone on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 05:23 pm:

That remains to be seen. Or has always/never been seen.

By JIM To ANN on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 11:53 am:

Ann:

How did you have the calling card traced to find the actual number of where the call was being made?

By SW on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 04:30 pm:

I am getting calls also 2 on my cell phone..wondering how they got the number and who it is?

By Larry on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 09:18 am:

If you are getting harrassing &/or prank calls from this calling card routing number (312-730-9978), it is more than likely from someone who knows you. Using calling cards is the only way people can make these calls & not worry about it being traced back to the actual number from the where the call is made. So if your experiencing this, you can't block it, trace it, & calling id is a useless feature. The only thing you can do is have your # changed & then be extra cautious as to who you give your # out to. Any questions, comments, concerns?

By Rena on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 08:40 pm:

OMG WE HAVE NO LIFE... I know this is a calling card number but I still must post. It's like a car crash, I just can't look away. My call came in at 6:20pm... I'm just pissed, I could have "missed" Mr. Right!!!

By Not saying on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 09:12 pm:

This just happened to me tonight, i think its a calling card of some coward

By Roy G. Biv on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 10:03 pm:

Thats my phone number you freaks are trying to dial! Not my fault my super smart cat can dial a phone and randomly call all of you! Curse me, Roy G. Biv and my pesky cat!

By Notsoparanoid on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 10:38 pm:

By Dedes snoog on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 05:27 pm:

This is hilarious! Once I started reading I couldn't stop--must be a mind control site! Anyways thanks for the chuckles--I really needed them as my husband leaves soon for Iraq.

By Concerned on Friday, October 1, 2004 - 12:07 am:

ok so once again this happened to me at 4am the number was 865-297-9978 and the guy knew my name and what time i arrived at my house and that my husband was at work. He also said he has been watching me changing and taken pictures and would I like the negetives. He repeatedly said he had proof.. Well lucky for me my best friend is a cop and got to the house within 5 min and did the trace and got the same prepaid calling card thing. But once again the problem is he knows to much information about me and that does freak me out and I also live in the dallas area as does John stellano that posted above and he also said he lived within 5 houses of me. So the good thing for me is I have a patrol car that goes by every hour to keep an eye on my house. These guys have way to much time on there hands.

By Ann to Jim on Monday, October 4, 2004 - 02:36 am:

To Jim from Ann

ICU.com is how I traced the number..... however, they were a couple of blocks off..... eventually found out through google.com for nothing ! Why are we wasting time on these people ? Seems to be a relay between either the middle east or usa which is way to vague..... If both parties use a calling card then it's a problem...... which it was for me.... no more, I'm done.... Hope this helps you.... life is short, lets live it !

My boyfriend spent 3 hours, twice a week, (coming home to me and leaving me on his way home) on this number..... just not worth it, especially as he can't 'recall' who it is ! Good luck....

By Rick on Tuesday, October 5, 2004 - 09:19 am:

I called the customer service dept (the number of the back of an AT&T calling card) & they told me that there is no way to figure out or trace a call to where it is actually coming from. If you have caller ID, the routing number will show up but the actual # from where the call is being made will NOT & there is no way to find that out. So basically, prank & harassing phone calls can be made by using a calling card with no worries of being found out or traced. If you are experiencing prank calls through means of a calling card & you want them to stop, the only thing you can do is have your # changed. Otherwise, you are pretty much fucked.

By DallasAlice on Tuesday, October 5, 2004 - 12:24 pm:

For those of you in the Dallas area getting calls from 865-297-9978:

I could possibly know who this guy is. I also live in the Dallas area and had this number on the caller ID of my cell phone from 11:54 pm last night. Have never seen this number before, looked it up on here and this is what I find. As I read on I see that it most probably is an AT&T calling card. Well.....just so happens I have this ex-boyfriend who also lives in the Dallas area, who I gave several AT&T long distance calling cards to last Christmas--the same guy that I had to threaten legal action against in June to get him to finally stop harassing me. He is an obsessive and unstable sociopath and would call me 20-30 times a day sometimes trying to talk to me, thus my words of legal action. Some of the things said to you Dallas people about the photos and negatives sound vaguely familiar, and I would not put it past this person one bit to do this to people. Concerned, if you will contact me I will be happy to give your policeman friend this person's contact info. It can't hurt to simply check it out.

Of course, we all know this still won't stop the calls from 865-297-9978. But maybe it will stop the scary ones.

By Trix on Thursday, October 7, 2004 - 07:59 pm:

I recieved 2 calls from 2 of the numbers mentioned on this site.

The first from 312-730-9978 at 9:18am

The second from 865-297-9978 at 4:09am

It was my friend from the military calling me on a phonecard! I verified it with another friend of mine...darn you people! Just when I was about to freak out! Hm, he used a calling card alright!

By Me on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 03:01 am:

hi,the 518-307-3245 belongs to lori smith 10 sanford st warrensburg ny it is her cell phone # the male caller other than brian is her boyfried mark koopman i can even reveal his # all #s ending in 9978 are callin cards.i have been dealing with her shi---t for over 3 years if she can be stopped tell me how shame is a 5 year old has to deal living with her,i can possibly get 2 other addresses in time where they retreat to.mark is not from the usa and does have an accent almost noregian sounding thanks for any help anyone can give they both deserve to be behind bars for years to come,i call myself me

By Me on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 01:15 am:

ps brian is my hubby,robert is marks son and so far no one has stopped the three.as far as the gal with a boyfriend who drives three hours to see her WAKE UP married woman dont let go of their hubbies and if he doesnt sleep at your place or vice vers he may be in that catagory,back to reality ,lori is an enourmous overweight blonde,mark is fair,not bad to look at when hair is cut son robert ? the 203 is a ct # im checkin into,anyone know who owns this site???????

By Gia on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 03:58 pm:

The number 407-393-9079 is a military number. My boyfriend is in Bagdad and calls me once a week between 1:00 and 3:00 in the morning. The reason he calls so early is because of the time diffrence. So those of you getting calls early in the morning is probaly from someone overseas who thinks your number is someone they know. In adittion, for a person overseas to call over here they must use a calling card I know because I send one to my boyfriend evry two weeks.

By Gia on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 03:58 pm:

The number 407-393-9079 is a military number. My boyfriend is in Bagdad and calls me once a week between 1:00 and 3:00 in the morning. The reason he calls so early is because of the time diffrence. So those of you getting calls early in the morning is probaly from someone overseas who thinks your number is someone they know. In adittion, for a person overseas to call over here they must use a calling card I know because I send one to my boyfriend evry two weeks.

By RagHead_Killer on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 10:39 am:

Just got a call on my cell phone from this number 727-559-0869. Some woman asking me if I have too many high interest credit cards.

By From Detroit on Thursday, November 4, 2004 - 02:52 pm:

I just got a call from 865-297-9978 minutes ago, voicemail left was from a buddy of mine on an airport payphone. No biggie.

By Vtn on Saturday, November 6, 2004 - 10:22 pm:

This number is a calling using Calling Card or Internet phone. My family called me from my country Cambodia using Internet Phone, and I saw this number on my cellphone.

By Ace on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 08:57 pm:

I had the most incredible phone sex with this girl I met online. The (865) 297-9978 number came up on my caller ID, when I tried to call back, well you all know the story, cannot be connected. Too bad to, she was friggin hot!!!! I searched Google with the number and found this site. No wonder, she was calling with a calling card. Luv this site!!! Frakin' hilarious that so many people are trying to figure out these #'s. Hope she calls back, wish me luck.

By Pagan Lady on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 01:49 pm:

Well just too add my two cents worth iv'e been getting calls from this number for months. This happens countless times a day and now its also happening late at night. Yes I have a friend stationed in Bagdhad, yes he calls me but he always leaves a message. The hangups are highly annoying its to the point that I cant get messages from family and friends. RRRRRRR!!!!!! there I feel better now, too bad there isnt someway of blocking this a-hole or is it holes???

By Its just me on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 06:54 pm:

I got a call from (865) 297-9978 yesterday at 5:44pm. I was away from my cell at the time, so my mom answered the call. She said it was just a recording of some sort and that was it. I checked my incoming calls and it was nowhere to be found. The number was instead listed as a missed call. Not long after we traced the number to Knoxville, TN did I notice that I also had a new text message. From 5:45pm, I had a text message that simply said "666". I've only had one person ever text me and I know it wasn't him doing it this time. Talk about weird...

By Fidelis_Femina on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 05:09 pm:

I just received a call today, November 27, 2004 at 2:12 pm, I had my cell on me but I guess I didn't notice it ring and vibrate.
    I decided to google it and this site came up, so anyone know the deal? I'd call it back but I really don't want to. I too traced it to Knoxville TN, but the site didn't give me more than that. Yeah mine was listed as a missed call too. I have AT&T wireless service and when I looked up the number in the online white pages, it said that it was sent from a services that too was AT&T, but wouldn't list it any further. So what's the deal? Maybe my phone didn't even ring after all seeing as its showing up on more than a few people's phones as a missed call.

By Greatest Loser on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 06:22 pm:

What the f**k it's all about? Just a calling card number or what.. well i found this number belongs to the AT&T, registered in Knoxville, TN.
    (865) 297 Area Code
    Area Code - NPA 865
    Exchange - NXX 297
    Country US
    State TENNESSEE TN
    City KNOXVILLE
    County Name KNOX
    Latitude 35.97
    Longitude -83.91
    LATA 474
    Timezone -5
    Day Light Saving 1
    County Population 382000
    FIPS 093
    MSA 3840
    PMSA
    CBSA 28940
    ZIP Code 37922
    OCN 7698
    Company Name AT&T - LOCAL - TN
    Rate Center KNOXVILLE
    Switch Center CLLI KNVLTNMADS2
    Rate Center Horizontal 6799
    Rate Center Vertical 2250

By Jim on Friday, December 3, 2004 - 02:24 pm:

Damn number, I think we are all going to die!!!!!!!!!!

By Tired and irritated on Tuesday, December 7, 2004 - 11:05 am:

i too have received a call from this number. this site is definitly like a car crash, i just couldn't stop myself from reading everything and must post something. got the call, googled it, just like all the other people. it was a person who knew my name and said something obscene. i hung up. just rather irritated because it was at 8am. people need to find something better to do with their time than this. plus why is it that everyone googled this number?

By Chic on Wednesday, December 8, 2004 - 12:06 am:

...ITS WORTH GOOGLING?

By Grandma on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 12:26 pm:

The reason I am searching for information on these numbers is because my son-in-law has abducted my grandchildren and two of these numbers have been used by him to contact me. I have no idea where he is and I am desperate to find them. My grandchildren are in danger and the authorities won't help. This may just be coincidence because there could be many different cards out there that would show these numbers because they are main numbers to a system of calling cards. In order to find out if they were made on the same card you would need the Personal Identification Number on the back of the card.If anyone out there knows Jimmy Carmona or his whereabouts I would greatly like to know.

By Cilla on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 12:17 am:

i got one tonight...wanted to speak to jim or mary? i think we should all take out stock in this calling card......

By LOL on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 07:55 pm:

Lmfao. you guys are crazy. BoB BLESS GOOGLE ^_^

i live in the UK.. ..aaand i havent had a call from this number or anything.. i just wanted to laugh at you ..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

so many people.. so many problems.. so many phone calls.. so... little ...help.

i have no life..

oh FYI, if you're ever bored, write something completely random into google. i assure you theres always a website like this lurking around.. xD

By WTF on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 01:54 pm:

This is absolutely crazy... I own a business and I have been thinking it was an angry customer or former employee. I get calls from 421-200-9978 and 312-730-9978 10+ times in a row at all hours of the day. If I don't answer it a Text Message appears with random numbers, but if I do answer it I get nothing but "fuzz." I guess I'm a bit relieved that it appears not to be a customer or employee... but it is still very annoying.

By Chi Town on Monday, January 3, 2005 - 09:01 pm:

this is crazy all these people have been getting calls from this #. I thought i missed someone fromback home.

By Kimberly on Wednesday, January 5, 2005 - 01:52 pm:

Omg. You guys are retarded. The number is a calling card. My friend who is in Bagdad, Iraq just called me and that's the number. It's just the company of the calling card. Have you never used a calling card before? Do you not know how it works? Damn you people suck.

By Runny on Thursday, January 6, 2005 - 11:42 am:

This number calls my cell phone at least 5 times a day, but does not leave a message. How can you make them stop?

By Storm on Thursday, January 6, 2005 - 07:40 pm:

The call I recieved was traced back to Chicago area as well... Not sure if it is a calling card or not.. Name I got was a man very demanding named Nick or at least that is what he called himself ... who knows...

By Exit on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 02:20 pm:

Wow, maybe this mysterious caller will bring people
    together. I too read through many of these posts simply
    because they are there.

I'm interested to find out what the meaning of the call is.
    Have I been choosen for a reason?

Are we all brothers and sisters now?

By Exit on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 02:23 pm:

I want to add, I bet some one made a calling card
    generator and is for what ever reason using a computer
    to dial blocks or random numbers.

Sounds like a hacker having fun.

By NickUSMC_GF on Sunday, April 2, 2006 - 10:02 pm:

I got a call at 12:53 this morning on my cell phone while I was sleeping and didn't see it till this morning when I woke up. My bf is in the USMC and is in the wire right now and won't be out for a week. He is not allowed to have cell phones down there so I wonder if maybe it wasn't him calling my cell phone....could it be him or telemarketers?? Because no message was left on my cell.

By Wiggin on Wednesday, April 5, 2006 - 01:02 pm:

i live in germany and have been getting calls from 2 numbers: 407-393-9079 and 312-730-9978. they only call and bother my wife, but never leave a message, and no one i know would use a prepaid calling card.........aliens?

By Prophet on Friday, May 5, 2006 - 06:47 pm:

I live in NYC and I got called by the 407-393-9079 calling card twice today I also ate 3 candy bars and drank a 2 liter of wild cherry pepsi... then I had gas then went to yahoo to search a mysterious phone number that had just called me then I found this site and then I caught up with mysel...

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact