internet modem for payphone

sorabji.com: The Payphone Project: internet modem for payphone
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Mr.x on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 09:17 pm:

i am MR.X- COME TO MY CYBER HIDE OUT >>> anonymouspublications.com have some cool modem toys that will allow you to surf the net- check your e-mail from a pay phone, oh i for got to tell you, surf the net from a pay phone>> may be you could be a mr.x like me ?
    HAVE AN ANONYMOUS DAY- TRY TO STAY PRIVATE, FOR ELECTRONIC EYES ARE WATCHING YOU !
    MR.X OUT

By Madness on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 09:02 pm:

Speaking of that: I did it a few times back in '99. Had a notebook and one of those "ConnexCoupler" acoustic modem adapters. Same thing used by the actors in the movie "Hackers" to call the mainframe from payphones in Grand Central.

Anyhow, I had this (now-defunct) weird local freebie dialup ISP that required you to call in using their software, enter the called-from number and then have their network call you back before granting internet access. I used that to my advantage to surf from payphones.

Went to a rather remote payphone, dropped in 35¢ and called its number from itself to verify it takes incoming calls (as it was the only phone there). Got busy signal, so far so good. Velcroed the receiver to the coupler, dropped in 35¢ again, dialed ISP, punched in payphone number, let it disconnect then held the hook down. About 10 seconds later, it rang! Released hook & clicked "answer call" button on software (the ISP's software popped up this button to answer the call -- think it just sent an "ATA" to the modem), popped in userid/password was online! Only limitation was a 60-minute session before you were disconnected and had to go thru the whole process again!

Of course, today, all Verizon payphones are 50¢ local unlimited, so I can my local ISP and be limited only by the charge in my notebook's battery &/or the 9-volt in the coupler.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact