Questions, questions

sorabji.com: Insomnia: Questions, questions
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rhiannon on Saturday, April 24, 1999 - 06:03 am:

Tonight I was up all night and around 5:00, the birds began chirping madly, and when i looked outside, it still seemed pitch black out there. But the birds clearly knew the sun was going to rise pretty soon.

How'd they know this? If I couldn't tell by looking out the window with my big mammal brain, how did these pea-brained birds know? Is there some sort of magnetic field that activates under approaching sunlight that birds can sense? Or were they awake all night and figured now's a good time to start singing?

By Bagpuss on Saturday, April 24, 1999 - 07:54 am:

They wear tiny digital watches with alarms on them.

By Gee on Sunday, April 25, 1999 - 04:27 am:

But...birds don't have wrists. How do they strap them on??

By Bagpuss on Sunday, April 25, 1999 - 09:41 am:

They're pocket watches stooopid!

By Hal on Wednesday, April 28, 1999 - 11:41 am:

Small fact many people also forget...

Birds don't have pockets either.

By Semillama on Wednesday, April 28, 1999 - 05:46 pm:

Maybe there were wrist watches on their ankles.

By R.C. on Thursday, April 29, 1999 - 03:25 am:

Y'all are too much....

If you were an animal/you'd be able to know when dawn was approaching before the sun was visible too. It's a critter thing. All part of God's great plan. Each of God's creatures has special gifts. Either you get to be four-legged & fuck from behind all the time/or you get wings & the ability to fly. Or you can breath under water & enjoy the oceans & river & lakes. Or if you're stuck w/being human/you get speech/drugs & booze/ risky-but-orgasmic sex w/the partner of yr choice (well/some of us do)/& the ability to masterbate at will.

In addition to the opportunity to own (or be owned by) amusing critters of your choosing.

Ain't Life Grand?

Given my druthers/I wd have chosen to be a large, predatory bird/like an eagle or a hawk. Just to be able to soar thru the heavens at will. I watch the local hawks at lot & they really do fly just for the fun of it/surfing the upward air currents for hours. Not to hunt (they don't do the dive-bomb thing)/but just becuz it's so cool to fly.

By Semillama on Thursday, April 29, 1999 - 05:57 pm:

Actually, what's interesting is that humans get up before the sun too, if they are going by the rhythms they're supposed to. Asleep at dark and all that. Last summer, when I was camping for about five weeks straight, I found my self up before the sun many times.

Unless we were drinking Cruzan Rum the night before.

By R.C. on Friday, April 30, 1999 - 03:02 am:

Sorry, but I'm a creature of the night. Have been since infancy. If I were independently wealthy/I wd never get up before 11:00am when the sun is in full bloom (becuz I stay up til 4:00 am most nites). Unless I were driecting & had to be on the set.

Even then/I'd probably make films where all the secnes took place at nite.

By Semillama on Friday, April 30, 1999 - 03:54 pm:

So am i, but damn it, I woke up at 5:48 am today! I went back to sleep til ten though.

By Bagpuss speaking how may I help you on Saturday, May 1, 1999 - 04:52 am:

I just started a job this week and was looking forward to my nice long saturday morning snooze after being in work at 8.30 every morning.

6.50 am saturday comes around and I'm up like a signpost.

ARSE!

Not only do I have to wear a tie but the bastards have ruined my body clock too.

By Semillama on Saturday, May 1, 1999 - 11:38 am:

I woke up, hungover, even, at 6:15am, and noticed the power was out. I went back to sleep and somehow set my internal clock to wake myself up in two hours in order to meet my dad for breakfast. If this trend continues, I'm just not going to go back to bed, might as well get something done.

By sarah on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 05:27 am:

o merciful vicodin.

all the good drugs start with vee.

what a shittyass day. yak. i want cookies. i want to stay home tomorrow and sulk. i want this goddamned swelling in my guts to go away. i want to sleep through the night without waking up in pain, stiff, sore.

i want everything to be ok now. i'm ready. and i want to sleep.

By Hal on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 03:01 pm:

The nite is my place, only because its just to goddamed bright during the day. Fuck I mean what kind of person can live in that insufferable sun light... Fuck.

By sarah on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 03:58 pm:

are you shitting me? fuck. i wrapped it in tons o' bubble wrap and stuck it in a padded mailer. i sent it about 6 weeks ago.

shit.

By sarah on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 03:59 pm:

i can't seem to get my sorabji threads right this morning. i'm posting all over in the wrong places. oh well. it must be the dwugs.

By sarah on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 04:02 pm:

or the chocolate...

cure for the blues? right here, motherfuckers. check it out.

Holy Fucking Chocolate Cookies

[my own recipe - i made these this morning and ate 3 for breakfast and i feel GREAT]

Ingredients

8 oz. of semisweet gourmet baking chocolate ***
    1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1/4 cup (half stick) butter, melted
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 cup all purpose flour
    1/4 tst baking powder
    1 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
    1 cup gourmet bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chunks ***

Directions:

In a large glass bowl, melt semisweet chocolate in the microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir chocolate until smooth. Add sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla, and blend well. Add flour, baking powder, and stir until just combined. Fold in walnuts and chocolate chunks.

Drop very large spoonfuls of batter onto an ungreased baking sheet, keeping about 1 inch between each uncooked cookie. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes, but not one minute longer. Transfer immediately to a cooling rack or wax paper and allow to cool for a two or three minutes. Then start eating, while warm and gooey. If you're not an entirely selfish bastard, you should serve some to your cats, neighbors, roommates, lovers, family, enemies, and the entire Local 151. But this recipe only makes about 1.5 dozen cookies, so you better get busy.

*** If you're a weenie, you can use 8 squares (1 package) of standard grocery store semisweet baking chocolate and a cup of semisweet chocolate morsels, but at least try to find some Ghiradelli, okay?

By sarah on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 01:33 pm:

oh, and this is totally off subject and i'm not sure if anyone really cares, but i wanted to report that, while my belly is looking better, it still looks entirely fucked up, and feels fairly fucked up and i can't surf and i can't get in the ocean and i'm afraid of going on hikes of any strain or length; and i'm still bloated and sore every single day now for the past seven weeks [exactly], and i pray to god that none of you are as stupid as i am to have this procedure done.

By sarah on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 01:36 pm:

on the other hand, during my last check up with the surgeon, he got my file out and showed me the "before" polaroids he took of my belly, and i was reminded why i had it done; and why insurance paid for it.

all i'm saying is, don't do stupid things only for the sake of vanity. i've talked three strangers (women) out of having this surgery, who were thinking of doing it just to have a flat tummy.

NOT WORTH IT.

By Rhiannon on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 01:52 pm:

You had loose skin removed, is that right, sarah? Did the doctors give you an estimated time for complete recovery?

By sarah on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 05:59 pm:

yes. he took off about 3.5 pounds of various tissue. recovery depends on the individual. i'm finally starting to make visible progress, and there's not much outright *pain*, but there's a lot of pressure and bloating still, and i get tired very easily. i'm sick of wearing this $%&&#@ brace, but if i go for more than a few hours without it, the bloating and pressure gets intense.

by the way things are going now, my estimate is that full internal recovery will take another 2 months. and by that, i mean the internal incisions and scar tissue are healed and the bloating and discomfort go away.

i have no idea how long it will take for my belly button to settle down. it's still red and lumpy and sometimes a little oozy. and i'm sure it'll be a year, but probably more, before the scar fades to flesh color.

thanks for asking, spider.

are you getting any sleep these days?

By semillama on Saturday, May 19, 2001 - 12:37 pm:

Just so you know, Sarah, I care about your belly.

ALthough probably not enough to want to see your oozing belly button.

Well, not more than once or twice.

By sarah on Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 04:47 am:

thanks sem. by the time we meet in person, i'm sure my belly button will be presentable.

heather and i are planning on meeting up again in mid to late october in new orleans. who else wants to come?

oh, and how was your birthday, sem?

By agatha on Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 03:31 pm:

can't you guys just jet on up to connecticut, and come to my sister's wedding? it's bound to be mayhem whether you two show up or not.

By semillama on Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 04:37 pm:

I'll go to New Orleans if I can work it around my work schedule. Maybe this time Czarina can keep her bowels in order, too!

By heather on Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 06:11 pm:

i am very close to connecticut

anyone who doesn't go to new orleans will be sorry

By Nate on Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 06:44 pm:

i'll be there to keep everyone's bowels in order.

By Cat on Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 07:35 pm:

I would love to join you for some bowel disorder but I'm going to be back on my side of the rock in October. But I'll be in New York at the end of May if there's any other buttplug sales conferences planned.

Not that I'm sure I could cope with sorabjites on mass. I might not be able to resist jumping you all, especially Sem so I can get a t-shirt saying "I jumped the llama".

I've never met anyone from the internet before so it could be interesting if a bit scary. What about if you're all mad axe murderers? What about if you're not?

By dave. on Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 07:56 pm:

what about if we weren't before we met you but you drive us to it?

By Cat on Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 08:00 pm:

Then I would consider my mission complete.

By Nate on Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 08:28 pm:

i'm more of an ax-handle murder.

my religion keeps me from using bladed weapons.

By Cat on Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 08:32 pm:

I like to slice and dice myself.

By Nate on Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 10:06 pm:

that's great, but it doesn't make you a murderer.

By Czarina on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 09:07 am:

Cat,if I can borrow your horsehair butt-plug,I'm in for the New Orleans extravaganza.

I would be very disappointed if at least one of us doesn't turn out to be an ax murderer.

I'm not very big in stature,so I can't weild heavy weaponry,but I was always VERY good at chemistry.
    Is that good enough?

By Cat on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 05:02 pm:

I hereby deed Czarina Sorabji all my buttly goods in the hope she will use them in a grossly wicked manner.

By Czarina on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 05:31 pm:

Butt of course!You can rest assured that I will honor your trust,and use them in the most devilishly wicked manner imaginable!

By Pug on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 05:53 pm:

I'm an axe murderer.....but only on alternate Thursdays.

By Pug on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 05:57 pm:

Oh----yeah---if it makes you feel any better, Sarah----
    My belly will look fucked up for life.

By sarah on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 - 03:19 am:

actually, that doesn't make me feel any better.

why will your belly look fucked up for life?

By patrick on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 - 11:10 am:

think of the imagery presented to us not too long ago of him, passed out, in the lazy boy, clutching malt liquor....

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 - 11:24 am:

Sarah: I sleep much better now. Thanks for asking. Yoga and kava kava before bedtime help a lot, as does pretending I'm very sick in the hospital, so sick I can barely move, so tired that every mobile part of my body is heavy, even my eyelids, and my breathing is slow and deep and my heart is slow and I'm so tired...so tired.....zzzzzzz.

I overslept this morning by half an hour. Got to work 2 minutes late. I wonder if I could do that every day or if the traffic was good that late in the morning by a freak stroke of luck.

How are you doing? Besides the belly (for which I offer my sympathy). Are you sleeping well, all things considered?

By sarah on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 - 04:13 pm:

Rhiannon, are you taking kava kava in pill form? Would you like to try some Hawaiian grown kava? it tastes nasty when you drink it, but you get used to it, and it's really good for you. email me your mailing address and i'll send you some. i get really good grade kava free from a good friend... oh, and don't worry, it's totally legal :)

i am doing ok, all things considered. it's almost 8 weeks post surgery and i still feel pretty well fucked up. i can't go more than a couple hours with the brace off. i tried sleeping with it off last night and that was a no go. if i don't have the brace on, i walk all hunched over still. it's not really *painful* per se, but just really stiff and there's a lot of pressure and bloating still. it sucks really bad, and not being able to use my body is pure torture. what i'd like to do is go for a nice, easy, slow 5-mile jog, but there's just no way. ack.

yesterday in particular was really rough. my whole household has intestinal flu which started saturday night; then i got fitted for a diaphram in the morning. i wanted to get a cervical cap, but it wasn't comfortable. diaphram seems easy enough, though neither kev nor i have any experience with them. oh, and i'm starting a new round of PMS, which means moodswings, debilitating fatigue, bloating, and general brain fog.

light at end of tunnel: kevin gets here in two days. i'm excited and happy but you know i'm just really sick of this and ready for him to be here. everything between now and then just seems like useless, mindless filler. there's a lot of work to do today and tomorrow on the website stuffs, which is good, but i wish i could close my eyes and sleep until an hour before i have to leave to pick him up at the airport.

probably more than you wanted to know, but thanks for asking.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact