erratic fevers

sorabji.com: Insomnia: erratic fevers
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By heather on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 06:48 pm:

Hysteria in virgins.
    (Hippocrates, On Virgins=VIII.466-70 Littré. G)

As a result of visions, many people choke to death, more women than men, for the nature of women is less courageous and is weaker. . .

When these places are filled with blood, shivering sets in with fevers. They call these 'erratic fevers'. When this is the state of affairs, the girl goes crazy because of the violent inflammation, and she becomes murderous because of the decay and is afraid and fearful because of the darkness. The girls try to choke themselves because of the pressure on their hearts; their will, distraught and anguished because of the bad condition of the blood, forces evil on itself. In some cases the girl says dreadful things: [the visions] order her to jump up and throw herself into wells and drown, as if this were good for her and served some useful purpose When a girl does not have visions, a desire sets in which compels her to love death as if it were a form of good. My prescription is that when virgins experience this trouble, they should cohabit with a man as quickly as possible. If they become pregnant, they will be cured. If they don't do this, either they will succumb at the onset of puberty or a little later, unless they catch another disease.

By Daniel ssss on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 11:36 pm:

Heather, you read the oddest things.

By semillama on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 10:04 am:

We should all follow your example.

I am preparing to hit Finnegans Wake again, but I am reading some books on Joyce before hand. A guy at the bar in NO recommended "The Skeleton Key to Finnegans Wake" so I will go looking this weekend.

By Spider on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 10:26 am:

Don't know if I posted these before:

from A Gentleman's "The Laws of Etiquette," 1836.

"Take care, however, that your hair be not of one colour and your whiskers of another; and let your wig be large enough to cover the whole of your red or white hair.

"It is evident, therefore, that though a man may be ugly, there is no necessity for his being shocking. Would that all men were convinced of this! I verily believe that if Mr. -- in his walking-dress, and Mr. -- in his evening costume were to meet alone, in some solitary place, where there was nothing to divert their attention from one another, they would expire of mutual hideousness.

If you have any defect, so striking and so ridiculous as to procure you a nickname then indeed there is but one remedy --renounce society."

---

"Your first duty at the table is to attend to the wants of the lady who sits next to you, the second, to attend to your own. In performing the first, you should take care that the lady has all that she wishes, yet without appearing to direct your attention too much to her plate, for nothing is more ill-bred than to watch a person eating. If the lady be something of a gourmande, and in ever-zealous pursuit of the aroma of the wing of a pigeon, should raise an unmanageable portion to her mouth, you should cease all conversation with her, and look steadfastly into the opposite part of the room."

---

When any member of a family is dead, it is customary to send intelligence of the misfortune to all who have been connected with the deceased in relations of business or friendship. The letters which are sent contain a special invitation to assist at the funeral.

An invitation of this sort should never he refused, though, of course, you do not send a reply, for no other reason that I know of, excepting the impossibility of framing any formula of acceptance.

You render yourself at the house an hour or two after the time specified. If you were to sit long in the mournful circle you might be rendered unfit for doing any thing for a week.

Your dress is black, and during the time of waiting you compose your visage into a "tristful 'haviour," and lean in silent solemnity upon the top of your cane, thinking about--last night's party. This is a necessary hypocrisy, and assists marvellously the sadness of the ceremony. ... You walk with the others into the church, where service is said over the body. It is optional to go to the grave or not. When you go away, you enter your carriage and return to your business or your pleasures.

A funeral in the morning, a ball in the evening, '--so runs the world away.'"

By patrick on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 11:11 am:

"If you have any defect, so striking and so ridiculous as to procure you a nickname then indeed there is but one remedy --renounce society."

I identify with this one the most.

heather that was mildly erotic.

By agatha on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 12:54 pm:

patrick, you think everything is mildly erotic.

By patrick on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 01:05 pm:

no i don't.

did i say anything about your buffet menu being mildly erotic?

NO!!!!!!

so shut it alright!

the descrptions she posts, sounds like a a 19th century diagnosis *hysteria* of women and orgasms.

By agatha on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 01:07 pm:

i agree that it sounded like orgasms.

i still think you find a lot of odd things mildly erotic, though.

By patrick on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 01:10 pm:

such as...

By Spider on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 01:21 pm:

I didn't know orgasms made you want to drown yourself. What kind of sex are you all having?

By heather on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 01:23 pm:

the particular passage is about women going insane because they are virgins and how they would be cured by sex

patrick's reaction was justified i think

i find the library erotic

did i just tell you that? shame on me.

By patrick on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 01:28 pm:

don't be such a literalists spider. obviously the passage is illogical.

By Spider on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 01:31 pm:

Patrick: "the descrptions she posts, sounds like a a 19th century diagnosis *hysteria* of women and orgasms."

Agatha: "i agree that it sounded like orgasms."

It's not the passage that's illogical.

By semillama on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 01:56 pm:

sounds like orgasms to me. To be precise, it sounds like women's orgasms at a time when women weren't supposed to have such things and almost certainly had no idea what was going on when they started having them. Possibly leading to such drownings, although I somehow doubt that this was a common occurence.

By patrick on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 01:58 pm:

wtf spider?

the passage IS illogical in a modern context. i have nothing to do with what agatha said.

By Nate on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 02:08 pm:

hysteria has nothing to do with orgasms. it sounds more like PMS to me.

YEAH. WE USED TO KILL YOU FOR THAT SHIT. BE HAPPY. GET THE FUCK BACK INTO THE KITCHEN.

By heather on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 02:12 pm:

listen

it's about virgins,
    and blood staying contained.

the idea that menstruation cannot begin if a woman hasn't had sex. but it does anyway, and can't escape, and she goes crazy with the pressure of the blood and fever and infection.

they go crazy
    have visions that tell them to drown themselves

it is SCIENCE!!!

By spunky on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 02:18 pm:

I've never heard that menstration cannot begin if a woman hasn't had sex. You mean if the hyman has not been broken, correct?
    Can a woman's hyman be broken if they just masturbate w/o penetration?

By heather on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 02:19 pm:

trace. it's not true is why you never heard it.

By Spider on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 03:12 pm:

I walked headless for centuries
    and knew neither color nor light

until the moon rose and the skull
    rolled onto my unencumbered shoulders

I could see again with the terrible sight
    of an unwounded Cyclops

The hands I found buried
    under the sands of my sympathies

The spine I discovered in a holey sack
    of maidens' tears and children's adjurations

I pieced myself together
    so pleased to know I was at last

a complete monster

By Daniel ssss on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 11:04 pm:

now THAT's poetry.

By Spider on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 11:24 am:

Thank you. I wrote that when I was 17.

By heather on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 12:00 pm:

[meet me spider

come on

you'll like it
    come on]

By heather on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 12:02 pm:

that, by the way, does not require a response

By Spider on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 12:27 pm:

maybe

By patrick on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 12:29 pm:

are you mad at me spider?

By Spider on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 12:48 pm:

Why would I be? I'm not even annoyed.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 02:08 pm:

have you not been getting email at gallows?

By Spider on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 02:12 pm:

Yes, and I just responded to you.

Lately I suck at responding to emails. My apologies to those concerned.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 02:55 pm:

its ok. you know me. i was thinking it was something i said.

By Spider on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 03:21 pm:

Patrick, it's my turn to be needy. You don't want to answer me?

By patrick on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 03:32 pm:

im sorry sugar.....i havent forgotten.

By Spider on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 03:32 pm:

Okay.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact