buy all the polaroid i can

sorabji.com: Why I oughta...: buy all the polaroid i can
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 02:40 pm:

i hear polaroid is considering filing for bankruptcy.

this sucks.

i oughta buy up all the film i can.

this sucks real bad.

hey....go buy a $25 ploaroid camera today at your local drug store.

go

go

By agatha on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 03:36 pm:

wow. i almost took a job with them. now, i'm glad i didn't.

they can't go out of business! polaroid pictures are one of the foundations of being american.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 03:44 pm:

i agree sister.

please everyone, go buy a god damn polaroid today. they are so cheap and so much fun.

By cyst on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 04:29 pm:

the cameras are cheap; the film is not.

By Nate on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 04:34 pm:

it's not expensive, either. it's not much different from 35mm film+development+print.

By spunky on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 04:34 pm:

Yes, but whith one you can take pictures you cannot take in to be developed....

By semillama on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 04:39 pm:

You hit the nail square on that time spunky!

Quick, to the discount store!

By dave. on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 05:12 pm:

most polaroids are worthless for subjects more than 10 feet away. awesome for close-ups. hey patrick, you want an old polaroid camera? i can't find any film for it. it's in perfect shape.

By cyst on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 05:26 pm:

patrick, do you have a daylab jr.? I've done some fun photo emulsion transfer work with a daylab jr., slides (sometimes viewmaster reels), and polaroid film.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 05:39 pm:

what is the model number? or if possible, see if you can find one similar on ebay, and I can tell you where to get film if its still available.

hey spunky, they have polaroid film that gives a negative so you can make prints, so it doesnt have to be a one print deal.

There is a serendipity to polaroids. The immediacy..of an already immediate medium, the lack of control with your standard polaroid...it is what it is, and what it is can often be beautiful. when you all get your mail art, you will see polaroids, as i take them.

In the current issue of Aperture, they feature some never before seen Mapplethorpe polaroids....some of the most beautiful polaroids i've ever seen.

one of these days my polaroids will hang in a gallery.

Id love to get my hands on one like this

or an 8x10 polaroid. as in 8"x10". Barbara Kasten is one of my favorite 8x10 polaroid photographers. This is a polaroid

so it this

with most medium & large format cameras like mamiya and hasselblad you can get polaroid film backs and shoot polaroid film.

many i hope they don't fold...i hope they can find a way out of this.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 05:40 pm:

im not sure what that is cyst. we did some dicking around with polaroid transfers in school.

By dave. on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 05:54 pm:

it's a polaroid 800. i've got the photoelectric shutter, the wink light, the flash bulb attachment, the literature, what looks like a mini chemistry set and the case. all near-mint.

you want it?

By patrick on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 06:07 pm:

this?

if thats the one.....hmm its a tough call. it looks like it might take roll type film, which is no longer made, but if it looks like it takes cartridge type film, then you can still get it, at your local camera shop.

Sure i would love it, but if it can still be used...dude keep it, have fun with it.

By agatha on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 06:15 pm:

dave just feels guilty because he outbid patrick on the camera, so now he's trying to appease his guilt by giving it to patrick. he tries to act tough, but he's just a big old teddybear. (hwarf)

i think we should try to find film for it.

By dave. on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 06:17 pm:

my plan was to outbid him and then, at a later date, send it to him anonymously. it never got sent. it is roll type film. *sigh*

By cyst on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 06:38 pm:

I think polaroid photo transfer emulsion with the daylab jr. is mostly a portland thing. it is highly addictive and expensive. and when there's no more polaroid, there will be no more polaroid photo emulsion transfers!

quotes from a web site about it:

The results might be something like the images below. With Polaroid emulsion transfers, you actually cook the image off of the Polaroid and place it on practically anything you want.

If your favorite images are transparencies, you can use a DayLab to expose them onto a certain kind of Polaroid film. After the image fully develop, you place it in very hot water for a few minutes. With a little help, the image separates from the Polaroid paper, allowing you to put stretch, rip, fold, scrunch, or twist as you put it onto a new receptive surface.

Making Polaroid emulsion transfers is the ultimate art project for grown-ups. It is a fun, easy method for creating interesting works with your imagination. Here's a peek at what you can do with your images:

http://www.betterphoto.com/pEtransfers.asp

By patrick on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 06:46 pm:

huh? you outbid me on the camera?
    are you sure it was me? i dont think ive ever bid on such a camera because i would have verified it didnt take the roll before bidding.

that sucks though it takes roll film.

i have no idea what a daylab Jr. is. The polaroid transfers we did involve, shooting a pic with a polaroid, and before the image fully develops, peel it from the "positive" emulsion and then slap it on to water color paper and use a roller to roll it. Let it sit in lemon juice for a bit and you get something that looks like this

By dave. on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 06:51 pm:

yeah, it was a couple of years ago. you posted that you had bid on it so i outbid you. i'm like that sometimes.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 06:54 pm:

in fact, im pretty sure you wouldnt even know my ebay log in name. its not patrick or waffleboy.

dig something like this....

go to your local camera shop, get a pack of Polaroid 664 (b&w 100 speed) or 679 (color) or if you can find it, pick up (i forget the film#) a pack of tungsten film...alot of those freaky bluish polaroids i sent you two were shot with that film. In daylight...you get that blueish haze. mucho fun.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 06:55 pm:

oh...well who is the sucker now with a camera that doesnt work?

HA!

By patrick on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 06:58 pm:

WHO IS THE SUCKER WITH A WORTHLESS CAMERA NOW????

this is a fucking riot.

those things make great bookends dave

By heather on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 07:16 pm:

hey everyone! look what i'm gettin from ebay!

pretty

By dave. on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 07:27 pm:

i guess i'm the sucker with the camera that doesn't work.

nice try, heather.

By cyst on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 08:28 pm:

daylab jr. is the thing that helps you take a polaroid of a slide.

the daylab jr. helps you turn your cool slides into the polaroid art projects like the one you posted.

By agatha on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 12:06 am:

By patrick on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 11:27 am:

right i remember him in his line boy days.

im still laughing.

do you eat your chucks a lot dave?

oh i see. you can make polaroids out of 35mm negs with it.

By sarah on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 01:54 pm:

speaking of foundations of being american...

quite a while ago i was at the kitchen table eating breakfast and next to my plate there was one of those little plastic squeezie containers of Elmer's Glue. i studied the container and the label for a while. it occurred to me that even without the label, you would recognize Elmer's Glue from the size and shape of the container, and especially that orange cone twistie thing that opens and closes the spout at the top.

and the label hasn't changed at all. the little orange triangle with the cow's head on it (that would be Elmer himself i guess), over a blue square with white block letters that reads ELMER'S. i mean, all this time, and it's never become NEW AND IMPROVED ELMER'S GLUE: Now With More Adhesive Strength! or some such marketing crap like that. the logo never changed. the bottle never changed. and the glue works really well for lots of stuff.

i was oddly comforted by these observations.

anyway, poloroid cameras are kinda the same thing in a way. they're cool (and not because they're "retro" either!) and fun and silly and also can be super useful.

things that are very simple and basic are quite special, considering that most everything else in this world seems to be getting more and more complicated.

By patrick on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 02:16 pm:

they are more than just a camera indeed.

By semillama on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 05:07 pm:

note: poloroids are a definite "must-have" at Sorajifest.

By patrick on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 05:13 pm:

if im there...i got it covered

By patrick on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 06:47 pm:

and to not wear underwear

By patrick on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 07:28 pm:

shit how did that get there....that belonged under pez's "it helps to be an optimist" post.

By TBone on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 02:58 am:

I figured that you were saying a lack of underwear
    was a "must" for Sorabjifest.

Either way, I guess.

By pez on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 03:20 am:

that was pretty funny, though.

i'm planning on bringing my economy-quality tape recorder.

By sarah on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:24 am:

posts that somehow sneak into other threads, that has happened to me before. i thought it was the valium and impaired judgment, but apparently it's a bug in the boards.

By Nate on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 12:06 pm:

yeah, because patrick's judgement is never impaired.

By Hal on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 02:46 pm:

I'll Bring the Handcuffs.

By pez on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 02:52 pm:

with or without the keys?

i'll bring an 18" ostrich feather, dyed blue.

By Hal on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:44 pm:

Fuck Keys what kind of fun would it be with keys?

By pez on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:20 pm:

you could flush them down the toilet. or swallow them.

torture. hang the keys in view, just out of reach.

lock the person in handcuffs with mittens on underneath. place the keys inbetween the toes.

keys can be fun.

By Hal on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:47 pm:

No see I like the hoplessness thing, with no keys, there is no escape...

You do any of the aformentioned and somehow they'll pull of some kind of maguiver shit to get the cuffs un-done.

By pez on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 06:24 pm:

it also depends on how the cuff are applied.

and also, some people can't do magiver. but it might be fun to watch a contortionist.

By Nate on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 07:02 pm:

ah yes, you both need to be a sorabjifest 2001. with patrick on the camera.

By pez on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 07:16 pm:

you're just rubbing your hands together, smirk on your face, scheming, aren't you?

By Nate on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 07:37 pm:

no.

except the scheming part.

let's just say, i'm very interested in creating situations condusive to LIFE.

LIFE

By semillama on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 02:53 pm:

Right on. We are here on this planet to have FUN. Everything else we do should be done in order to maximize the amount of fun one can have in their lifetime (this of course entails some periods of utter NON-FUN).
    Sorabji invades the Big Easy = Grand Bigass Fun, enough fun to put hair on your chest and blood in the toilet.

By Nate on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 05:06 pm:

i'm all about blood in the toilet.

wtf.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 11:48 am:

um

By Nate on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 12:20 pm:

I KNOW.

By pez on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 05:34 pm:

i'm not sure about getting hair on me chest.

rosea is more than enough.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 06:35 pm:

I'm not sure about the chest hair thing either. I already have quite enough, thank you.

By Nate on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 06:42 pm:

you want some rosea (rosé ??) on your chest?

By patrick on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 07:28 pm:

yeah you kinda went out on a limb there sem.

lost a whole bunch of us

By pez on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 03:43 am:

i'm recovering from a case of rosea.

it's pink and scaly. most people it's opainful and itchy, but none of that for me.

By Antigone on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 10:53 am:

pez, you need to put some hair on your chest.

By Nate on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 11:13 am:

or some rosé.

By pez on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 03:34 pm:

i've already got a little furry patch on the small of my back.

it tickles.

By Nate on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 04:08 pm:

uh.

that's how it starts. sprouts like a tree from your ass. then the roots of the tree form, your ass gets hair. then the tree grows and fills out, covering your shoulders while the trunk grows thicker down the center of your back.

you're screwed, pez. you're going to get hairy like a man.

By heather on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 04:52 pm:

she is not

jesus

By Nate on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 06:17 pm:

she might.

By pez on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 01:58 am:

yeah, and then i'm going to have my vagina turn inside out and become a penis and my breasts will shrink.

no fucking way. the fur is my not-so-secret. besides, it's baby fur. you can't even see it.

By Alex on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 06:21 pm:

hmmmmm yup.

There you go.

So from Polaroids....

.....To unwanted body hair.

~All in one thread.

Only in Sorabjiland.

By agatha on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 01:55 pm:

you're getting the jist of it all real quick, alex. congratulations!

By semillama on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 11:01 am:

It hasn't even gotten to the asssex part.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact