mock a coworker

sorabji.com: Why I oughta...: mock a coworker
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:23 am:

I've never met this guy (he works in our main office in Ohio), so this is not a personality issue.

Let's call him Bob. Bob is responsible for creating our usage reports for the institutions who subscribe to our databases. Not only is he always late with the reports, not only does he make the slightest change to the process into a Very Big Deal, not only is he the bottleneck that stops all our progress and momentum...I think he's blind, too.

Libraries go through consortia to get to us. Like, all the Ivy League schools belong to one consortium. Consortium admins like to see the usage data for all the schools in their consortium aggregated together.

We used to just give them figures like "January: 259,873 searches; 573,397 documents retrieved." We're revising our system, though, so we thought it would be nice to give them a total, and then list out the schools so you could see the figures that each school contributed to the totals. So you would see something like:

Total searches for NERL -- 259,873
    Harvard University -- 25,898
    Yale University -- 30,492
    University of Pennsylvania -- 12,882
    etc.

Got that?

Bob didn't. After bugging him for weeks to create the reports, this is what he gave us this morning:

Month Searches
    Feb 3,658
    Feb 1,598
    Feb 0
    Feb 3,336
    Feb 15,550
    Feb 137
    Feb 2,950

etc.

That's it. One big old list just like that.

What the-? Where are the school names, Bob? How on earth could these numbers be useful to anyone? How could you think that this would be okay??

Now we have to wait...AGAIN...to clean this up before we let anyone see their new reports. Way to go, Bob. You're about as sharp as a sack full of wet mice, I tell you what.

ARGH.

By patrick on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:55 am:

what do you want from us?

By Spider on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 12:01 pm:

Uh...nothing. I was just letting off some steam. Feel free to commiserate if you're so inclined. Have a good afternoon.

By patrick on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 12:11 pm:

its nine in the morning. the concept of afternoon is still swimming in my coffee to be consumed later.

can i tell you how god damn awesome it was to go to the hockey game Sat.? Bring on the redwings.

My ears rang all day yesterday it was so loud.

By semillama on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 12:53 pm:

How about this for comiseration? In an hour, I
    have to be in on a conference call with a client,
    said client to be referred to as "Swamp-
    Thing" hereafter because that's what she
    resembles. This client is supposedly an
    archaeologist and works for the Corps of
    Engineers, and is utterly stupid as hell. I
    seriously have never met anyone as stupid as
    Swamp-Thing in such a position of authority.
    So anyway, the conference call is about the
    draft report we submitted, which she claimed
    has serious deficiencies. It doesn't. It has
    minor problems which are always present in
    every DRAFT report. She blew a lot of things
    out of proportion and wants us to do some
    edits that I am totally against, such as remove
    all of the historic context "because that's
    supposed to be in a different volume."
    RETARD!!!! How is this document supposed
    to be usable to future researchers if they have
    to have another volume on hand to refer back
    to when I'm talking about a certain
    technology? How can you even concieve that
    you can talk about a certain technology and
    NOT HAVE AN OVERVIEW OF THE
    TECHNOLOGY IN THE SAME VOLUME????

ARRGGGGGGGGGG.

What a Retard!! I hate you Swamp Thing, die
    die die die die die.

I mean, look at how worked up I am about
    this. That should tell you how bad this whole
    thing is. It's wiped out almost all the positive
    vibes from getting laid this morning.

By heather on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 01:02 pm:

ah

see how quickly it's taken for granted

By sarah on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 01:30 pm:

friday night, before the panic attack and subsequent compulsive eating binge (peanut butter and semisweet chocolate chips), i was talking to my dad on the phone and telling him how much i love my job, and how it's the best thing in my life right now.

he said he was happy for me and for my success but to remember that work should never be the only good thing in your life. work is not life.

i'm going to florida for mother's day weekend to see my family and scope it out.

By agatha on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 01:42 pm:

no, sarah! not florida! maybe you should try north or south carolina?

By agatha on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 01:42 pm:

or new mexico?

By patrick on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 01:47 pm:

you'd fit in well in bohemian western carolina,i.e. Asheville or perhaps artsy, small town hip Wilmington, NC along the coast.

Florida is hideous.

By J on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 01:52 pm:

I'm packing to go to West Virginia,I'm not looking forward to flying and I'm paranoid they will open the box with Mom' ashes at the airport security. Rainelle is way up in the mountains,the interstate goes there now,which is a relief because I used to get car sick going there.My brother and his moron of a wife and his son who really is retarded will be there too,but I plan to spend the least amount of time wwith them possible.I feel sorry for the kid,but he's loud and never shuts up and he gets on my nerves,you can't talk to him like a normal kid,and neither of them watch him,all I've ever seen his wife do was eat and watch t.v. and eat some more,she's a liar too,both of them,gag.

By sarah on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 02:10 pm:

what about living there for a just a year? that's kinda the plan these days. since i'm on the mainland, why not go around some and live a year here and there? i'm not particularly fond of florida either, but most of my mother's family is there and soon my aunt, uncle, and cousin will be there too. maybe i'll try boise, idaho for a year. i have a friend there who loves it. then somewhere in wyoming for a year. maybe even *gasp* northern, rural california for a year.

hawaii is not going to sink into the pacific ocean. it'll be there. i can go back whenever i want.

i've seriously considered moving back there in january or february. it's simply a matter of indecision, not passivity. but i can't stick around here. something has gone terribly wrong with me and i can't imagine it to be anything but environment. i just haven't been happy here, and not for lack of trying.

By heather on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 02:13 pm:

i'm going to detroit next weekend

they are having a party for my grandma's 90th birthday

By Nate on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 02:14 pm:

california.

By sarah on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 03:53 pm:

ooo which reminds me. heather, i'm going to be in detroit to visit family in very late august and very early september.

might you be able to be there around that time?

By semillama on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 04:10 pm:

Don't take it for granted that I'm taking it for
    granted, you know?

As a human cursed with foresight, I NEVER
    take it for granted.

Swamp Thing was survivable, and good vibes
    are coming back.

By heather on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 05:37 pm:

hmm

i don't know
    but why not?

By moonit on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 05:39 am:

I think Sarah would like it in Nelson.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 11:38 am:

Who is Nelson?

By Nate on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 12:04 pm:

yeah. and wouldn't it be the other way around?

By semillama on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 12:34 pm:

Not with the miracles of our modern space
    age assisting her.

Is that Full Nelson or his double amputee
    brother, by the way?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact